Sawbuck Gamer

noitcelfeR

Half And Half

noitcelfeR forces players to look in the mirror.

By Steve Heisler • April 26, 2012

Yep, that spells “reflection” backward, and it’s a fitting title for a frantic platformer that involves the reliability of mirror images. The object of each level is to get your guy from one end to the other. At first all you have to do is jump over a few spikes or bash a few enemies on the head. You have a reflection, but it shows the same scene. As you progress, the discrepancy between the top and bottom worlds grows. Invisible blocks are visible in the reflection, but not up top. Then enemies hide in the mirror world, then spikes. Before long, the majority of a level is split between “reality” and its reflection.

Success at noitcelfeR involves quickly glancing between the two worlds, and often navigating your character halfway in one and halfway in the other. And there’s little time to play “spot the differences,” either: Enemies are relentless and often only visible in one of the two worlds. Your eyes have to be faster than your fingers, and your mind needs to piece together complex structures from both the reflection and the reality—obstacles that require simultaneous mastery of regular and upside-down running. Fittingly, your character is a minuscule dot on the landscape, leaving room for a complicated world to sprout up, even if the little person can only see half of it.

174 Responses to “Half And Half”

1. Raging Bear says:

This reminds me of the time I tried to do some personal reflection backwards and ended up doing some
    serious impersonal reflection. I’m now no more than an acquaintance to
    myself. I have to give myself a little nod when I look in the mirror so
    things don’t get too awkward.

2. HobbesMkii says:

I hate that Kongregate reposts games from Armor Games and still runs ads in front of them. Why? You’re not providing the developers with anything!

Kongregate is generally getting pretty ad’d up, but it’s still the most convenient place to play, even if other pages have a bigger inventory.

• 3FistedHumdinger says:

I only tolerate kongregate because of the badges.  Yeah I’m that guy.

EDIT: Plus AdBlockPlus takes care of the ads.

• duwease says:

Generally ArmorGames would pay for exclusivity for awhile, and then the author is free to post to Kongregate and enter into an ad-sharing agreement.

Oh, well, in that case, I guess I’ll watch that ad for that product or service I’ll never use.

3. HobbesMkii says:

This Mario w/ A Twist game isn’t half as crafty as it thinks it is.

• AuroraBoreanaz says:

I played a similar game a while back that had two screens either side-by-side or above each other, and you went through doors to change them to different setups, but moved on both at the same time.

It was a neat idea for a few minutes, but basically just annoying after that.

4. LimeadeYouth says:

Is it just me (it very well could be) or are the controls really finicky on this game?

They are… it really is a pisser having to redo everything because a tiny breath on the button propels your little dude half a mile to the left.
      Also: Where do these people live with their spikey floors?

• Aaron Riccio says:

Really finicky, to say the least. As Difficult Level 4 proves, it’s not the perspective shifting that presents the difficulty — it’s the inability to properly control your character. Have people learned nothing from Super Meat Boy’s pixel-perfect gaming?

5. trilobiter says:

Got to the “difficult level” that says it looks harder than it is.  Well, it looks pretty damn hard!

Seriously, though, this is pretty fun.  It’s got all the basics of a good platformer down, but I think a lot of the level design is extraneous.  There’s whole sections and structures that just aren’t necessary for solving the puzzles at hand.