What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Martin Starr

Martin Starr, TV and film actor

A broken TV set proved to be a blessing when the Party Down and NTSF:SD:SUV:: star was a kid.

By Steve Heisler • April 20, 2012

In What Are You Playing This Weekend?, we discuss gaming and such with prominent figures in the pop-culture arena. We always start with the same question.

Martin Starr was discovered by Judd Apatow and Paul Feig for the seminal Freaks & Geeks TV show, and has since graduated from the Bill Haverchuck role to appear in a bunch of different comedy projects, Apatowian and otherwise. He appeared in Knocked Up and Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, was a series regular on the beloved Party Down, and can now be seen on Paul Scheer’s NTSF:SD:SUV::.

The Gameological Society: What are you playing this weekend?

Martin Starr: I’m going to get back to Modern Warfare 3. I play that pretty incessantly. I got addicted to shooting zombies in the last Call Of Duty, where you just kill as many zombies as you can, like wave after wave of them. And Modern Warfare 3 has this one where you go level-after-level where more difficult guys come at you. I play with my buddy Matt on the East Coast.

Gameological: Do you find it soothing?

Starr: Killing people is really soothing? [Laughs.] No, I don’t know. At this point, more than anything I only go and play because it’s one of the few things I can do with friends that live across the country or across the world. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t play near as much as I do. I have a tendency to play video games for a month or two when I get a new one, and then I don’t play video games for eight months. That’s been my general M.O. since I was 17, or whenever I moved out.

Gameological: Did you play a lot of games as a kid?

Starr: Yeah. Insanely, I played all the time. My mom would get mad at me because I stayed up too late playing video games.

Gameological: Were there rules in your house about how long you could play in a day?

Starr: When I got off school, I’d walk home and play video games until my mom got home from work. And then when I should be doing homework, I’d be watching TV or playing video games. So I played way more then. I don’t know if there were rules on it, like they’d get upset they knew I was playing way too much. It was more like: Get your homework done and you could play as much as you want. But my dad had a different strategy. He just constantly told me it killed my brain and I should stop doing it. When our TV broke, he decided to not get it fixed. And it was awesome, I really enjoyed it. I used to listen to old-timey radio shows before I went to bed, and I got addicted to those. The Six Shooter, and X Minus One.

Gameological: What games do you remember really liking?

Starr: Zelda was like my favorite. What was it—Contra? Or Contra 3? The one that was really good.

Gameological: Why take such long breaks now?

Starr: Part of it is some level of realization after two months that’s like, “Holy shit, I’ve just wasted two months of my life.” And also being busy enough to not think about it.

Gameological: So you feel like gaming is a waste of time?

Starr: Well, in the moment, you feel like you’re accomplishing something. But it’s totally pointless, and it’s all on a hard disk. It means nothing in reality. It’s interesting to see everything people in this world have created. Like, I haven’t gotten into it, but I’ve heard Skyrim is incredible. I can’t do it because I get enveloped in games like that, and then I want to figure everything out. Or after a month I realize I’ve wasted my life and then I never play them again.

Gameological: Is there some epiphany you remember having that influenced this thinking on games?

Starr: It was probably my dad yelling at me. It worked in the long run, but at the time I hated him for it. He never had video games and he couldn’t relate to it. So he’d push me to go outside. And I was a fairly active kid, I rode my bike a lot, and was out and about. But games were certainly a prominent factor in my life.

Gameological: What do you think will happen when you have kids? We grew up with games, and someday we’ll have to decide whether or not to let our kids play games, and how much.

Starr: I don’t know, I probably won’t care that much. I say that now. It is a total waste of time. [Laughs.] One of the only things I can see as a benefit is being able to seemingly do something constructive with your friends across the country. My buddy Matt introduced me to his childhood friend, and the only relationship we have is online. We talk every now and then, but really the only times we hang out is playing Modern Warfare. It’s weird, the only way I know this person is online. He likes to set these goals which we’ve all adopted, like before he has a big meeting, or Matt or I have a big audition, we’ll try to get to level 40 of this wave-after-wave of guys. And then it doesn’t mean anything.

And now, we put the question to you. Tell us what you’ve been playing lately, and which games—video or otherwise—are on your playlist for the weekend.

558 Responses to “Martin Starr, TV and film actor”

1. HobbesMkii says:

Now that Paradox has ironed out most of the kinks in the 1.05 update, Crusader Kings II is going to unhinge its jaw and swallow my weekend whole.

2. LimeadeYouth says:

Actually, that NoNoSparks reminded me I’m close to finishing my daughter’s picross games. Time to bring the DS back out.

3. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’m probably gonna end up finishing up Link’s Awakening this weekend, and spend some time to setting up a USB Loader for my Wii games. Also Dota 2, as always.

Is it your first time through Link’s Awakening? Isn’t it a lovely little game? With that Lynchian little town full of goofy weirdos?

4. John Teti says:

I’ll be putting in some time on Demon’s Souls, wistfully, because I’m sad that the servers are shutting down.

5. Brett B says:

Won’t have much time for games this weekend, but I’ll try and squeak some Trials Evolution in there.

6. root (1ltc) says:

Gameological: So you feel like gaming is a waste of time?

Starr:… it’s totally pointless

Yeah I’m definitely inspired to talk about me playing anything here after reading an article like this.

I think he means pointless in a “do something productive” sense. Like, riding your bike has a point because you’re exercising (building muscle, raising your heart rate, etc. etc.). If it makes you feel better, you can turn that back on him: watching TV and movies have the same level of productivity as playing videogames, so he essentially works in pointless mediums.

• Chip_Dipson says:

Yeah but…this kind of criticism seems to always be pinned down more so on video games, which always seemed unfair to me. I think this stems from the fact that comparatively speaking, TV and movies are a much more passive activity than games, where you actively have to manipulate things to complete tasks. The fact that these tasks don’t ultimately affect anything in you real life probably makes people see it as a waste of time, which is a shame really. I think that attitude hinders people from enjoying lots of things in life.

• John Teti says:

Yeah, exactly. I’m pretty confident that Martin meant it more in a jokey, self-effacing way than in a condemnation-of-the-medium way.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Yeah, that was kinda funny to me too. Though I get that it kinda fits in on this site, ’cause of the whole “everyone can be a gamer” thing. Reminded me of interviews with famous people that gaming mags or whatever would do because they had a game based on a movie come out or something, and you could tell they rarely play games.

Sorta relevant to this; I’d like to see a more minority oriented feature or column or something. I always try to dispel the “only white 18 year old guys play games online” thing and am almost always met with hostility. Or articles that mock misogynistic/racist/awful “gamer” culture. Basically, something highlighting that kind of thing/looking at things from the perspective of an “outsider.”

That would be awesome. I remember a few months back, Kotaku had a change in their editorial staff and started very self-consciously to push a more progressive, inclusive, less dude-bro philosophy, and the comments exploded with the sweaty ire of a million cloistered he-nerds. It was at once hilarious and kind of soul-crushing.

Kotaku had to make a sub-site called “Kotaku Core” that only ran their stories explicitly about games, and elided their editorials and stories on gamer culture, just to shut those idiots up.

• dreadguacamole says:

Hmm. I stopped reading Kotaku ages ago, because I really didn’t like their house style (even if I really like Totilo and some of their other writers). I should probably give them another go if they’ve changed.

• Spacemonkey_Mafia says:

Kotaku’s had a fairly progressive undercurrent since I began reading it, which was a couple of years ago.  In fact, it’s the sole reason I started reading it.
             But the community itself sure feels like it’s shifting.   Whether that’s just myself and the inevitable internet consequence of feeling any website’s “Not how it used to be” over a relatively short period of time, or the actual community, I don’t know.  But it’s really no fun over there anymore.  It’s closer to being a more long-winded IGN, which I believe is a level of hell.

• Phillip Collector says:

Oh man, the Kotaku Core thing is so bizarre to me. Why can’t these people simply scroll past the articles they don’t want to read?

@google-69578f6e8287195327b556eae9f46139:disqus : There’s no reason they can’t scroll past, and I’m sure most of them just do that rather than bother “configuring” a website.

But the “Kotaku Core” thing served an important role in stemming the complaints in the comments, not because it actually provided something the complainers wanted or needed, but because it effectively eliminated their ability to complain. Any complaint could just be met with the rejoinder “Why aren’t you just looking at Kotaku Core, then?”

• ta-nehisi coates used to write about WoW quite a bit on his (otherwise political/cultural) blog. i wonder if it’d be possible to get him to do a guest spot here.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’d absolutely love to see things like that! You see this Teti? Doooo itttt.

• Phillip Collector says:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what he said. I love playing video games but at the end of the day the achievements we feel like we’re making in a game are…well we’re not really achieving anything.

I suppose that’s why I play most video games for the roller coaster ride. Plus I also like exploring the worlds the developers have created.

7. Aaron Riccio says:

Botanicula, The Gunstringer, and reluctantly starting a fresh single-player campaign in Mass Effect 3 after resigning myself to the fact that EA is never going to fix the import issue I’m having from ME2. So much for saving the Rachni Queen, eh?

• ShitMcFuckensteinAVC says:

EA Brittas everything.

• MSUSteve says:

Oh man, sorry to hear about your ME2 troubles.  What a complete bummer.

• duwease says:

Go to the Mass Effect 2 save archives (
      http://www.masseffect2saves.com/ ), and run it through a save editor program and then edit it to how your game was.  Trust me, I tried a new game without it and it was too jarring that everything I had done was different.  But I’m running with my old settings now and it’s great.  I just hope you’re using PC or 360, because I don’t think this process works for PS3.

8. ShitMcFuckensteinAVC says:

I’ve been playing The Saboteur. It’s really underrated.

I concur. A true gem of a game.

• John Teti says:

Seconded! I love The Saboteur.

• ShitMcFuckensteinAVC says:

It’s too bad EA dismantled Pandemic. The Mercenaries games were fun too, if a bit unpolished.

As much as I enjoy Peter Stromare, I couldn’t really play past the first fifteen minutes of Mercenaries 2 before I went “meh” and turned it off. Maybe I should give it another chance.

• ShitMcFuckensteinAVC says:

@HobbesMkii:disqus It takes a while to get good. Once you get access to a whole arsenal of different vehicles and airstrikes and the missions are tougher it’s a lot of fun. The game doesn’t hold your hand, it just gives you targets and you actually have to figure out your own approach. It’s only $8 at Gamestop for Xbox or Playstation and $10 to download it for PC.

Yeah, I think I got it for about that (incl. S+H) used through Amazon, so I’ve never felt like I wasted money on it, just that I wasn’t engaged with it. But it’s one of those things that I feel like I should give a real shot, because I’ve heard people talk about how fun it is.

• Mookalakai says:

I’ve tried to convince myself that the game sucks, but I’ve played it through like 4 times, so you’re right, that game is actually pretty fun.

9. KidvanDanzig says:

For some reason I decided to bust out Civ 4 on a “huge” real-world map. At a certain point it became laboriously slow for my laptop so I stopped. I wish Alpha Centauri didn’t have “clean reactors”, otherwise the game would be far more balanced.

I did manage to buy a copy of the new Avernum game and it is really scratching that Ultima itch. Late-90’s CRPG stuff at its best.

• dreadguacamole says:

Avernum is awesome, I’ll be playing that too. If I finish it, I’ll return to Legend of Grimrock.
       I’ll also be playing Botanicula with my son.

Ooh! Playing Botanicula with a kid seems like it would be a blast. How old is yours? (And if you picked it up in the Humble Bundle, you could watch Amanita’s Kooky movie with him, too, which could be fun!)

Not much game time this (or any) weekend for me, but I’m sure I’ll be able to steal some time to play some more Botanicula this weekend myself, too.

• dreadguacamole says:

He’s four and a half. We played a little bit yesterday, and he adored it – to the point of picking up the mouse and clicking on things (he’d normally rather watch than play computer games.)
           I’m definitely going to pick up the bundle just for the movie, given how much I hate ITunes. Besides, Botanicula is so ridiculously joyful I don’t mind paying twice for it.

That’s pretty much the perfect age for that kind of game. I mean, I guess any age is, but Amanita games have a nice combination of no risk, no text, and click-anywhere curiosity-baiting that preschoolers would GET SO INTO. Kind of like those Humongous Entertainment games Ron Gilbert made, except also BEAUTIFUL. I may just be getting misty and nostalgic for my old job teaching preschoolers but I’m kind of jealous that you get to enjoy the game with a little person.

I actually got an email this morning from gog.com apologizing about the Humble Bundle being so great, since I’d apparently pre-ordered with them.  I had actually totally forgotten about my pre-order, and yesterday got so pumped about the bundle that I snapped it up right away. So I kind of by accident bought it twice-over, too.

But Amanita is totally worth supporting, and Kooky alone was worth the price of admission for the Bundle anyway (and I haven’t played the full version of Windosill before), so I’m not going to complain.

10. Drew Toal says:

Some game John Googled for me.

11. Merve says:

I’m going to tackle Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s The Missing Link DLC.

Or, if the weather’s nice, I’ll go outside.

Well, remember the kind of open, non-‘gamer’ site this is. There’s all types here. Me, for instance, I’ve never played a Diablo game (or a Blizzard game since StarCraft I) and give exactly zero fucks about Diablo 3.

I can definitely understand why some people are pretty excited, though.

• morley says:

Yeah, I couldn’t believe I had to scroll down so far to see Diablo 3 mentioned. I don’t know when I’m going to have time to eat.

I try to avoid running any beta software on my computer. I fear that it will eat my hard drive and spew fire out of my CD tray.

12. Staggering Stew Bum says:

After trying and failing last weekend to get back in to Demons Souls, and then starting a 4th playthrough of Mass Effect 3 and spending most of my evenings this week on the multiplayer, I think this weekend I will not set myself up for failure with unrealistic goals.

They really need to patch in a mute button for ME3. There are some unbelievable arseholes playing that game. Granted, there’s unbelievable arseholes playing most online games, but at least you can mute the fuckers.

• AuroraBoreanaz says:

Seriously!  I got kicked from a bronze match the other day…the second I joined, the guy said “get outta here, squirrel!”  I’m thinking, what the hell does that mean?  It’s a bronze match, and I’m level 20 with a level V gun…so I hit my ready button a couple of times to say “no, just start the match”.  Then I see two kick markers and just leave.  Stupid jerks.

• Staggering Stew Bum says:

This is exactly the sort of thing I’m talking about. Also, it’s a CO-OPERATIVE game, yet there’s a huge amount of players who refuse to contribute to the objectives or even make any effort to revive other players. It’s just like the real world I suppose, particularly the workplace, where a large proportion of people refuse to contribute or help out.

But it’s all worth it for when you are paired up with some random dude who you go back to back with and beat the mission against all odds. Uncharted 2 co-op arena was great for that too. Just have to put up with all sorts of shit to get that feeling, guess this is what it’s like to be hooked on crack.

13. dreadguacamole says:

Goddammit – The new Fallen Enchantress beta update is out… That may take up a lot of my gaming time.

14. David Gray says:

Going to be getting right into Trials:Evolution from the looks of things.  Never played the original, but after seeing all the videos of the new one I just bought it right away and I’m having so much ridiculous fun with it!

I also need to go back and finish Fable 3, but its just so underwhelming…

15. Shain Eighmey says:

The weather is supposed to be really nice out, but I’m sure I”ll find a little time to play Shogun 2 and maybe try a little of one of those games on Steam I haven’t had time to try yet.

16. Raging Bear says:

I’ll probably be playing Botanicula (thanks to Girard for the heads up there). That, and maybe just seeing what’s to be seen on Steam. The client has been collecting dust since I started renting, but I’m between console games at the moment, since Skyward Sword finally pissed me off enough that I rage-returned-to-gamefly it.

• What pissed you off? I’m JUST getting that game today from gamefly, and I haven’t Zelda’d in a while, so I’m aware of how tricky the dungeons can get. Was it a frustrating-area kind of thing or was it a “completely illogical solution to a puzzle” kind of thing?

• dreadguacamole says:

I can’t speak for RB, but I was throughly fed up with the motion controls before long. They’re just not up to the task of holding up more hardcore gameplay unless you’re willing to work out exactly what hoops it wants you to jump through.
         The swordfighting was a bit frustrating, but what finally did me in was a level which required finesse while throwing things; for some reason, it switched from underhanded to overhanded throws when I needed to do some fairly tricky bowling maneuver. I wasn’t enjoying the game that much up to then, and that made me take it straight back to the store. I find Raging Bear’s description fairly funny, because I definitely rage-returned the hell out of the game.
         A lot of people swear by it, though, and I’ve been known not to like Nintendo games or motion controls, so your mileage may vary.

• Raging Bear says:

Almost exactly what @dreadguacamole:disqus said. The motion controls work just fine until you need to do anything precise, and/or quick, in which cases it gets deeply frustrating. This is especially true of the combat, where any of the enemies more advanced than, say, bats, move to block your attacks directionally. This would be fine if you had more than a microsecond between changing your posture and going through with the attack, but they move their block so immediately you more often just can’t. This gets old quite quickly.

Combine this with things like an irritating stamina meter, a segment of your inventory that’s suddenly and completely arbitrarily limited, and a few other more minor quibbles, and I was just generally a lot more consistently pissed off than I’ve ever been playing a Zelda game. These things, (and especially the annoying throwing troubles he mentioned) were all in such evidence in the area before the third dungeon (I only got through 2 full ones) that I pretty much just had it.

And the MotionPlus controls actually (ironically) feel more floaty and less responsive, so a lot of the time, even when you’re doing everything right, the movement lags, or the game misreads your correct action, and ruins everything.

One of the final boss’s forms requires you to stab him in the chest (NOT slash, *stab*), and seriously 4/5 times my “stabbing” gesture would make Link do this crazy front-flip circular slash, which was wildly inappropriate and ineffective. Then the boss would knock my teeth out.

@facebook-501651:disqus : The game has some interesting visual stuff, and some satisfying dungeons and boss battles (it was engaging enough for me to finish it), but the motion controls are kind of stupid (for sword-fighting at least), and flying a bird through a big empty space to get from level to level is more boring than piloting the Windwaker ship through the open seas (as there are fewer islands to discover, and fewer enemies to encounter). You may still enjoy yourself.

17. Joe Keiser says:

My import of Pandora’s Tower arrived yesterday. It hasn’t made the best first impression, but I’ll give it a few more hours before I jump to Botanicula.

18. Chip_Dipson says:

I’m in between games at the moment. I just finished Escape Plan, which was fun, but felt more like a mega-produced browser game than anything else. I think I’ll probably end up playing Journey.

19. Jason Sigler says:

No ideas what I’ll actually play, but these are all possibilities: Joe Danger (XBLA), Fez, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery (just got on Steam, never finished on iPad), Crysis, Rayman Origins, and Skyward Sword.

20. AuroraBoreanaz says:

I started to get a bit offended at Martin’s “they’re pointless” comment, but I know what he’s talking about as well.  But there are really so many factors to take into account when talking about “video games” it really comes down to your personal take on it.

For example, there seems to still be a kind of disconnect in talking about games being a waste of time versus books or movies.  A lot of games, like the Mass Effect series, are essentially interactive movies.

But on the other hand, a movie is usually 2-3 hours tops, whereas a game can take up weeks, months, or in rare cases years of your spare time.  I still can’t believe that I played World of Warcraft off and on for FIVE YEARS.  Part of it was the social aspect of MMOs, but when I really haven’t kept in touch with anyone I played WoW with (not completely due to lack of trying) except my wife, it’s hard not to look at it as a waste of time.

There are definitely positive things to gaming as well – learning hand-eye coordination, problem solving, reading comprehension…my typing skills improved threefold when I started playing online text adventures (MUDs).

I decided a while back to stop beating myself up about spending a lot of time playing games, as long as they’re not keeping me from doing other stuff I need to be doing.

…yeah, I’ll let you know when that stops happening.

21. JokersNuts says:

I understand his point about the waste of time thing but completely and utterly disagree.  Absorbing Art isn’t a waste of time.  I could argue going to spend two hours in a movie theatre is a waste of time, or watching a half hour of TV.
    You don’t “acomplish” anything other than solving a challange, or enjoying artistic expression, or escaping into a fantasy world.  and there’s nothing wrong with that.

22. Contra: good
    Super C: great
    Contra III – The Alien Wars: best

An On the Level article about that stage would be amazing.

I haven’t been playing so much lately as I’ve been making—a quest with the Super Mario Bros. X engine tentatively titled Star Scavenger. It’s going pretty smoothly so far, although red-coin levels in 2D are ENORMOUS.

23. Beelzebot says:

Playing Radiant Historia and Final Fantasy XIII-2 right now. Didn’t get to play them last weekend so I’m really looking forward to it. Once I’m done with those I’ll be able to immerse myself in Xenoblade Chronicles.

24. MSUSteve says:

With Bioware not running any kind of special operation for Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, I have a real chance of actually playing some Witcher 2 or Xenoblade this weekend.

It’s shocking to me how much I’ve enjoyed ME3’s multiplayer mode.  I’m not a multiplayer guy in the least.  In the past I’ve purchased Call of Duty games for the single player only.  Think about how insane that makes me.

• AuroraBoreanaz says:

Same here!  I’ve enjoyed the ME3 multiplayer a lot, to the point of putting off finishing the single player campaign for a bit.  It definitely helps that it’s cooperative…I have a tendency to lose my temper during deathmatch style PvP as I’m always lower on the skill level bracket than most.

It’s gratifying to play co-op though, when my skilled teammates get overwhelmed and shot down, and I manage to race around the enemy and revive them before running off to hide and snipe again.

25. I’m playing Mass Effect 2. Is “The Arrival” worth downloading?

• AuroraBoreanaz says:

I heard it’s a good segue into ME3, but not exactly huge, so as long as you don’t mind paying the $6 or $7 for it, it should be okay.

I still love Lair of the Shadow Broker though.

• mss2 says:

Arrival came in for a fair amount of criticism, but I liked it. It’s no “Lair of the Shadow Broker”, but LotSB is pretty much the high-water mark for DLC in the entire series.  (I’d pretty much put it:  LotSB->Bring Down the Sky->Overlord->Kasumi->Arrival->Zaeed->Firewalker Like many people, I never played Pinnacle Station.) You get to meet up with a character not seen since the first game, and as @AuroraBoreanaz:disqus notes it’s a segue into Mass Effect 3.

It can be played either during the main campaign or afterwards (and there’s a minor change, depending), but storywise it fits best after finishing the main plot.

The ME1 DLC is pretty terrible. Pinnacle Station is so much more difficult than the rest of the game that it’s no fun to play. And Bring Down the Sky is basically a super-sized ME1 side mission. Aside from Firewalker, all the ME2 DLC is better.

• mss2 says:

I’d put the dialog and moral choices of Bring Down the Sky ahead of a number of the ME2 missions.  It’s also the first time we see batarians in the series (in person; they’re part of Shepard’s backstory in all three origins), sets their characterization going forward, and gets a decent callback in the last game.  But your mileage may vary.

(BDtS generally comes with Mass Effect these days in my experience, at least if one buys the PC version, so it’s not a big investment in any case.)

@mss2:disqus: Bring Down the Sky is a free download for the PC version, but:
          1. The activation key system has been dismantled, so you have to contact EA support personally if you want an activation key.
          2. The activation key is good for a single installation only, so it can’t be used if you want to play Mass Effect on another computer. I believe that the activation key is tied to your EA account as well, so you really can only play the DLC on just one computer.

• Staggering Stew Bum says:

The Arrival is definitely worth downloading.

It’s a solo Shepard mission which was an interesting change because I relied on Miranda’s biotic powers in most of the ME2 missions. Only takes about an hour, but is worth it for its story which resonates during certain parts of ME3. Would love to explain why, but you know, spoilers.

26. I’ve been rewatching Freaks and Geeks and Martin Starr is easily the most talented from that young crop of actors. Glad he’s still doing great comedic work.

• TheSensitiveGhostOfSethPu says:

Yeah, he stole every scene he was in, both there and in Party Down.  Bill Haverchuck is my dude.

Whenever I want a pick-me-up I always queue up a YouTube video of Bill doing the Re-Run dance.

Whenever I want a, uh, wist-me-up, I queue up the “Bill eats grilled cheese and watches Gary Shandling” scene.

27. urthstripe says:

Still playing Mass Effect 3. I just reunited with Tali’Zorah, hooray! Also lots of The Pinball Arcade. Damn youuuuu, Black Hole!

• Predator Handshake says:

Hey, you are in pretty much the same game situation as me, right down to progress in ME3 and being totally frustrated with Black Hole.

I think this weekend I’ll focus on the ME3 single-player, since it was mentioned that there’s no special mission and if I haven’t finished it when the Pinball Arcade DLC comes out I may never do.  I am going to disappear into Funhouse when it releases.

28. Will Thompson says:

I squandered life after life and continue after continue on Alien Hominid last weekend. Made it to Russia. Might see how far I can make before part of my soul is crushed by the game’s difficulty again. The animation and great bosses make it worth it.

29. A_N_K says:

Like Starr, I will be connecting with a old friend who now lives far away by playing a 2-year old version of NCAA Football.
    I might get the new one this year, but it’s not worth it for me to pay $60 every year for marginal changes and a roster update, particularly when I only play my buddy–and it’s been increasingly difficult to schedule playing time lately.

30. Swadian Knight says:

I intend to play the Diablo 3 open beta this weekend. A lot.

31. SteveHeisler says:

Demon’s Souls. Demon’s Souls. Demon’s Souls.

Also I’m hosting a video game club at the Brooklyn Brainery on Saturday, where we’ll be playing awesome multiplayer games on my SNES emulator. Sadly it’s “sold out”, but next time we should do it Gameological-style.

32. 3FistedHumdinger says:

I just picked up Devil May Cry 4, having played the first one when it was a greatest hit.  Never played 2 or 3, and pleasantly surprised to find that I still indeed suck at DMC.

33. angrypeter says:

It’ll be Xenoblade Chronicles for me, which I’m quite enjoying so far. I might try out Botanicula too after hearing folks talk about it hear.