What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Paul Scheer

Paul Scheer, actor and comedian

The star of The League and NTSF:SD:SUV:: has a history of betting on the wrong game-system horse.

By Steve Heisler • April 13, 2012

In What Are You Playing This Weekend?, we discuss gaming and such with prominent figures in the pop-culture arena. We always start with the same question.

Paul Scheer broke out on the MTV sketch show Human Giant, and he has gone on to appear in The League, Piranha 3D, and every TV comedy ever, including Parks & Recreation and 30 Rock. He’s the creator and star of Adult Swim’s NTSF:SD:SUV::, and he cohosts the movie-skewering podcast How Did This Get Made?

The Gameological Society: What are you playing this weekend?

Paul Scheer: The one I am playing right now is SSX, the snowboarding game. I just got it. I was a huge fan of it when it first came out. And it’s like the most anticipated game for me in the longest time. I spent so many nights drinking, literally, two-liter bottles of Coke, just playing SSX. I’m totally reliving my youth.

Gameological: Have you played all the other SSX games?

Scheer: I only played SSX: Tricky. That was my favorite one. I guess I dropped off the face of the SSX world, and now I’ve found it again. At Comic-Con last year I was walking around the convention floor, and they have a booth. I never have geeked out more in my life. “They’re remaking this game!?” And they’re like, “Oh yeah, dude. It’s gonna be amazing.” I was like, “Well when does it come out?” And they were like, “Next April.” That was the biggest bummer I have ever had. I know that I should be playing Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls, but I can’t do that anymore. I know Skyrim would be the best thing ever for me, and I have to stay away from it. It’s like a drug addiction. I will just get sucked in. Lately my game-playing is much more, like, I can do one level and then I’ll check out. But after so much time spent on BioShock and the Grand Theft Auto-like things, I go deep and dark. I found myself wanting to leave social interactions.

Gameological: What was the last game you remember falling too hard into?

Scheer: It was a while ago, but the one I was really not expecting to like as much as I did was BioShock. At first, I was like, “Meh, I’ll do this.” And then—I start playing at 10 o’clock at night and then it’s six o’clock in the morning. I was really into the world. I get really contemplative about whether I want to go good or bad in those games. I really start thinking about it too much.

Gameological: Well, SSX doesn’t really give you those kinds of choices.

Scheer: Yeah, SSX is like, “Hey! You wanna ride that rail?!” It’s so anti my personality, too. Like, I don’t normally like skateboarding games or snowboarding. But there’s something so soothing about those games.

Gameological: You mentioned on Indoor Kids, Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon’s podcast, that you always bet on the wrong horse growing up, system-wise. You had a Dreamcast, for example, and other systems that wound up failing. Are you choosier now with systems and games, given your past?

Scheer: Yeah, exactly. First of all, the games are expensive, so you don’t wanna be hours into a game and be like, “Oh this does suck.” A lot of the time I’m really sold on a lot of the trailers and stuff, but then I go to the GameStop where I live—I trust that guy a lot. There was that game called Dead Island that had the best trailer of all time, and I was like, “Ah, yeah! This is like Lost with zombies!” And he’s like, “Dude, it sucks.” I’m happy when those moments happen, because then I’m not out 60 bucks. I’m not buying games on the first weeks of the release anymore. Unless it’s a Call Of Duty game. I’ll just buy those blindly.

And now, we put the question to you. Tell us what you’ve been playing lately, and which games—video or otherwise—are on your playlist for the weekend.

154 Responses to “Paul Scheer, actor and comedian”

1. Ben says:

I’ll be playing Fez. So much Fez.

2. HobbesMkii says:

Dead Island should be the textbook example of great packaging, poor product.

• ToddG says:

Indeed.  That trailer is a work of art on its own.

• Lord Autumn-Bottom says:

Remember when they announced they were gonna make a movie based on that trailer?  Ha… damn good trailer, and Memento with zombies could probably be a pretty good movie if handled well, but man, what a ridiculous source of inspiration.  I wonder if that’s still going down.  Probably not.

3. SteveHeisler says:

I’m torn between three games right now: Fallout 3, Borderlands and Demon Souls. Frankly, I just finished Dark Souls and I really want to play Demon Souls right away because HOLY CRAP DID I LOVE DARK SOULS. But the PS3 is hooked up in my roommate’s room and I feel intrusive.

[sent from behind his couch]

• John Teti says:

Better hurry if you want the full experience. They’re going to shut down the Demon’s Souls servers at the end of May. It will still be a very good game without online, but not quite the same.

• eggbuerto says:

I’ll just add that one of the bosses in Demon’s Souls is a summoned player, so you’ll be missing out on those fun times when the servers go down.

• The_Misanthrope says:

I was still  stuck in Sen’s Fortress–ugh, there has to be another bonfire around there!–when I decided to take a break to play ME3 so I could finally talk to my friends about the ending.  I also played through Costume Quest with my friend’s 5-yr-old daughter; It is important she start her video-game education right.  Now, I’m debating getting back on the metaphorical Dark Souls horse again.

• SteveHeisler says:

There’s another bonfire in Sen’s Fortress after you emerge onto the roof area. You have to fall off a ledge roughly around the area where you’re getting firebombed, but you can see it from up top.

That last paragraph sounds masochistic, which is about right.

• dreadguacamole says:

Weirdly enough, I didn’t find Sen’s Fortress to be *that* painful. It’s the Painted World that’s got me almost reduced to tears…

• 3FistedHumdinger says:

Oh fuck Sen’s fortress, Blighttown is the where Dark Souls throws any semblance of fairness out the window.

• Raging Bear says:

First time with all of them? You should probably do Fallout 3 last so you can get your affairs in order. There will be no further need to have contact with the real world. Well, not for a while, anyway.

Borderlands fails pretty drastically where it aspires to be anything other than extruded FPS product. But if you are, like me, a sucker for an FPS and even more of a sucker for anything remotely open-worldy, you might wake up one day to find you’ve played it for 200 hours across two characters and are seriously considering getting the sequel, even though you don’t actually seem to like it that much. This will confuse you, and you will go back to bed.

• MesotheleonaHelmsley says:

Agreed. I avoided Fallout based on the fact I knew it would take over my life, but steam had new vegas on a really good sale a while back and -boom- 4 months of your life are gone.

• DrunkPhilatelist says:

spot on with Borderlands. while starting my third play-through i thought to myself, “i don’t particularly enjoy this.”
        some games really master the ‘highway-hypnosis’ effect. you don’t experience any real feeling of time passing but you glance at the clock and it’s 3:15 in the god damn morning.
        see also: Just Cause franchise.

• eggbuerto says:

I played through Borderlands with friends almost twice and felt the exact same way. What a joyless experience.

• doyourealize says:

Hurry up!  Demon’s Souls goes offline on May 31st.  And I’ve been thinking about it lately.  If you want to add me, I might be on.   PSN doyourealize  (can you do that on this thread?)

• 3FistedHumdinger says:

Anyone want to throw out some PSN / Xbox ids out for Dark Souls?

4. Drew Toal says:

Still playing Pirates! Just married the governor of Curacao’s (sp?) daughter (a Dutch beauty!) and defeated Baron Raymondo in single combat for like the dozenth time. Guy just doesn’t learn.

5. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’m pretty much on a strict diet of Dota 2 lately. Though I have been playing my DS more often lately and I kinda beat Rhythm Heaven today. Also, Roller Coaster Tycoon.

RollerCoaster Tycoon is always a fun game just to pop in for an hour or so. Plus, if nothing else, it satisfies my baser, sadistic desires; it’s one of the few simulation games in which drowning people is an acceptable strategy for boosting the overall happiness of the populace.

That game is remarkably robust, too. I’ve been able to run it without any problems on every iteration of Windows so far. It and Transport Tycoon are the two games that I always install on a new computer. Because I know I’ll go back to them.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Also, it was designed and programmed almost exclusively in Assembly by Chris Sawyer. He hired an artist and a musician to pretty it up, but he made it almost entirely by himself. It’s kinda amazing. And the game is FUN.

• SisterMaryFrancis says:

See also: Launching an unfinished, yet fully loaded,  roller coaster off its rails into the sidewalk.

• eggbuerto says:

Ah, wonderful Dota 2. They added random draft yesterday. Hooray!

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Yes! I actually haven’t had a chance to try that yet, though I’m really excited for when they add All Random. I like playing Single Draft a lot because it tends to take people out of their comfort zones.

• eggbuerto says:

Yeah, I didn’t feel like I was getting anywhere with the game until I started playing single draft. It’s a crazy idea, but it turns out that knowing the various heroes is a big part of doing well in the game. This is something I never learned when playing the same 3 heroes in LoL for a year.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

@eggbuerto:disqus The heroes in LoL are all generally pretty interchangable, and they have to be because of the way the game is designed. Not everyone has access to every hero, so they have to have a few set roles and then they can all neatly fit into categories. Dota is designed around its hero pool being available to everyone and there are several heroes that work particularly well with one another, and heroes that counter each other pretty hard.

I played LoL extensively after HATING WC3 Dota, but LoL just feels stale now. Dota 2 fixes all the weird control issues from the WC3 engine for this type of game. It’s much more open to experimentation and the meta changes often after people find viable strats and, compared to the relatively stable LoL meta of 1 top – 1 mid – AD & support bot – 1 jungle, is a lot more fun in my opinion.

• eggbuerto says:

Agreed on all points. LoL’s business model really hurts it. Flash is available to every hero basically as a design pressure valve so they can pump out heroes and not worry too much about balance.

I do wonder how they will actually get around to charging for Dota 2 when Valve decides to sell it. LoL is basically the biggest videogame in the universe now and I wonder if Valve will be forced to sell characters instead of charging up-front just to compete. I guess they could always sell hats.

6. I’ll be continuing my happy times replaying through Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts.

I might as well just fire up Rez for an hour or two and then my status as living breathing Edge reader cliche will be complete.

• dreadguacamole says:

Wouldn’t you need to be playing some nintendo games as well for that?

• My terrible gamer secret is that I have never played a Mario game. Never. I don’t really know how or why. So I fail, resoundingly, against my own criteria. On only my third comment! WHY DO YOU MOCK ME SO etc

7. ToddG says:

Now that a.) I can import my Shepard’s face properly and b.) I finally went back and played all the DLC from ME2 and got the full 1355/1355, I have finally purchased ME3 (on 360) and, while I played it briefly on Wednesday, I will be beginning it in earnest this weekend.  I will also be finishing Closure (PS3), hopefully.

8. Channel_8_News says:

Going to visit my mother this weekend for her birthday, so my normal game-playing won’t really happen. I will probably end up playing New Super Mario Brothers Wii with my brother and father, or Mario Kart Wii, or something with Mario on the Wii.

I will also probably play a bunch of games on my iPad while I’m down there. I bought Containment after reading the review on this site the other day. I’m not far into it, but I do enjoy a good puzzle game.

9. Raging Bear says:

I have to send back one of my two Gamefly games because I’m downgrading to one-a-month, so bye bye Alice. I actually rather liked it, despite the unpolished controls really starting to get on my tits, but for now, I’ll hang onto Skyward Sword.

That, and I’ll probably dive into the surprising number of iPad games that I just got on sale. I got Infinity Blade 2, Another World, and Prince of Persia yesterday for a cumulative savings of probably as much as $5.00!! With all this extra money lying around, I’ll probably start a small business or commission an opera or something.

• what’re the touch controls like on Another World?  I really want to play the game, but trying to play it on a GBA emulator with a seemingly-unofficial rom on my elderly phone is not cutting it.

• Raging Bear says:

I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll re

• Raging Bear says:

Ok, so, after half an hour or so with it, I’d say the d-pad is the way to go. The hud-less touch (hold on the side to walk, double-tap to run until you touch again, button-area in either lower corner) setup is actually pretty good, except that jump is an upward swipe, which I almost never manage to do successfully.

• I fear I won’t even be able to hop over the first worm-guys on the small screen with the d-pad.  This will have to wait til my next phone…

• Raging Bear says:

@twitter-495079299:disqus For what it’s worth, I’ve now tried it on my phone (it’s a universal app), and it seems a little easier to get a swipe recognized on the smaller surface.

10. Chip_Dipson says:

I think I’m just going to plunge in and let Dark Souls take over my evening for the next million hours or so.

• markiej says:

I tried that – I was like “This Dark Souls game looks right up my alley! I’m gonna play the crap out of it”.

Then, after about 4 hours over 3 nights I put it down, feeling thoroughly defeated, and kind of stupid.  Seriously, that game killed my self-esteem a little.

11. Binsbein says:

Nobody else playing Legend of Grimrock? Wusses.

• dreadguacamole says:

With that attitude, I better not find out you’re playing with the automap turned on!

12. AuroraBoreanaz says:

I’ll be mostly playing ME3 (about 2/3rds of the way through the campaign, and still enjoying multiplayer to keep my readiness rating up), and will probably spend the last two days of my Old Republic subscription checking out the changes in the Legacy patch from yesterday.  (After my brief review of them last night, I doubt there’s enough for me to resubscribe.)

Speaking of ME3 faces, I was one of the unlucky ones who was unable to directly import my face, having created it in ME1.  Rather than spend time trying to figure it out exactly, I just jumped in and recreated it from memory.  Even though I have intentionally NOT looked back at ME2 to compare, he still seems a bit off…think his nose is too large.

13. InDetFilms says:

I have been working on tidying up Dead Rising 2 (finding all the stuff, killing all the psychos, etc) and Castlevania: LoS, before I purchase… probably Portal 2 and Mass Effect used.

14. Swadian Knight says:

My weekend will be dedicated to Xenoblade Chronicles and Legends of Grimrock.

• AuroraBoreanaz says:

Oh yeah, I want to check out Legends of Grimrock too!  I loved those old dungeon crawler games.

• dreadguacamole says:

Do check it out – it’s really, really good. A lot more like Dungeon Master or the first Eye of the Beholder than any of the latter games in that style, too; the puzzles get downright devious.
        (edited for clarity)

• dreadguacamole says:

Ditto on Legends of Grimrock. Lovely game.

I’m a bit gutted, though, because I made it a fair ways in with some really bad character choices… so now I don’t know whether to start over or just soldier on.

The game gets proper hard when you’re facing area of effect attacks…

• Basement Boy says:

I’m still locked tight in my insanity-bordering Binding Of Isaac obsession, that’s basically *all* I’ve played for months (except for a little iPod “Bookworm” here and there, which usually means on the toilet)… still MUST beat Satan with Isaac, Eve and ???…

• duwease says:

And then there’s the “don’t get hit” achievements that sit there taunting you long after the other ones get completed..

• Basement Boy says:

“Basement Boy’ is the only one of those I’ve gotten… or will likely get. Non-damage after the Caves seems incomprehensible!

• duwease says:

Agreed.. those are up there with the “don’t die in the entire level” ones in Super Meat Boy.  I *almost* fluked together the Mama’s Boy one when I got an extremely lucky set of powers and a map where I was one room away from the boss.. and then one of those leeches glitched through the wall and back in unexpectedly and hit me.  I gave up on all of them (except Basement) at that point.. maybe once the DLC comes out I’ll give it a swing again.

15. mformby says:

I am full-on into World of Tanks and since they’re running this anniversary special this weekend I’m going to play it as much as possible.  It’s one of the best games for someone who doesn’t want to spend hours at the machine that I have ever played.  Want to spend 4 hours playing, fine.  Want to spend 15-30 min. playing, that’s fine too…you can get in several matches in that time span.

Plus it’s free.

I dig World of Tanks for just those reason. But I do think the game’s economy could be slightly less harsh on the higher tiers without seeing a serious hit to premium subscriptions.

• mformby says:

I have only gotten up to tier V so far, it’s a real challenge to get your next tank after that I am finding.

What nations are you playing? Tier V is when things start getting rough because Matchmaker now designates you eligible to be in battles with tier VIIIs, which sucks because they’re virtually impenetrable to you, but can kill you in a single shot.

16. Citric says:

Right now I’ve got games of Mass Effect – the first one – and Legend of Dragoon of all things. LoD is a camp classic, everything is so badly translated and the story is a total trope factory, but it manages to be fun anyway, either because of or in spite of that, I’m not completely sure. The terrible voice acting and the really badly directed FMV also give it charm, though I can say without reservation that the background art is legitimately good.

17. I have a huge pile of games-in-progress (LA Noire, Shadow of the Colossus, the God of War PS2 collection, Rage, Trine 2 and on and on…) but I’m playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer pretty consistently whenever I have time to sit down with a game.  Anybody playing on PS3?  I’d love to play with another not-total-idiot so I can actually FINISH a few Silver/Gold runs.

18. Andy Tuttle says:

Heading back into SWTOR after not playing it for a month.

19. KidvanDanzig says:

Got a bunch of fan patches, so I’m playing Arcanum and finding that it’s a really great game when it’s actually balanced correctly.

20. duwease says:

Playing through my second renaissance of Pinball FX2 and trying to build up my superscore.. also finally getting into Mass Effect 3 after I spent forever and a day hacking up a savegame that represented where I was in Mass Effect 2 because my real ME2 save wouldn’t import :(

• KidvanDanzig says:

You on a PC? There’s a savegame database, you know. Searchable by LI / morality approach. The game lets you change your class and face anyway.

• duwease says:

Xbox.. I had a file that had completed but was partway through another playthrough (which apparently doesn’t count).  So I just copied that to PC, modded it to have all the choices I had made, and reloaded it to the Xbox.. worked like a charm — thankfully, because I tried playing a new character and the incongruities between what was being referenced plotwise and how it had gone down in my old playthroughs were really throwing me off

21. Drunken Superman says:

After an extended period of time where my game-playing had to be reduced to tiny bites, I’m going to dive back into Red Dead Redemption this weekend.  I will also likely be running Out of the Park 13 half the time as well.

• AuroraBoreanaz says:

I have only one thing to say to RDR.  Screw cougars.

And bears.

I only have TWO things to say to RDR.  Screw cougars and bears!  And horsebreaking.  THREE things…

Actually the game was a ton of fun, those were probably the three most annoying things about it.

My best worst moment – mission to locate a caravan.  Rode my horse to it, started getting shot at, jumped off my horse and was ambushed by two bears.  Loaded my game, rode back out, got smashed into a fence by a cougar.  Loaded AGAIN, managed to spot bears before they got to me, killed them, and got killed by ANOTHER BEAR from behind me.  Never went back to that damn mission again.

• Staggering Stew Bum says:

You’d probably loathe the Master Hunter challenges in RDR. In one you need to kill two cougars with your knife. I found killing the first one easy, but usually after taking the first out there was always a second cougar pouncing on you moments later and there was no escape because the bastard had already taken out my horse. One of the later challenges is the same concept but with a bear, and there’s usually another bear around to make things difficult. I wasted hours on trying to complete these two challenges (mostly on the cougars), all for the pointlessness of the platinum trophy. Great game though.

• Shain Eighmey says:

Seriously, I never did figure out why the animal spawns always swarmed like that. I once had to kill more than 40 wolves in a swarm!

• Raging Bear says:

Even I hated those bears.

• BuntlineSpecial says:

Lay in plenty of coffee, beans, and sidemeat–could be a long weekend.

22. I’m looking forward to/dreading more Fairway Solitaire, awaiting the inevitable intervention from friends and family. Please, have mercy on me, and do it. Do it now. Because this is no way to spend my life.

I’ve also been grazing on the 3DS, bouncing between Ice Climber (NES), Punch-Out!! (NES), and WarioWare, Inc.:Mega MicroGame$ (GBA). Why? Who knows.

23. caspiancomic says:

Man, I got so much on my plate I don’t even know where to begin. I’m still playing A Link To The Past (taking my time with it), and I’ve decided to do Psychonauts and Bastion in the near future. I also finally beat Professor Layton and the Last Spectre (No, not “specter”, autocorrect, I’m speaking the Queen’s English over here) so for my next DS title I’ve decided to replay The World Ends With You. I’m bummed that the next Layton title is going to be on 3DS since it means… I’m going to have to buy a 3DS. Still, I’ll be cold in the ground before I miss a Professor Layton title.

Queen’s English? Is that like when you have to say everything in a Freddy Mercury falsetto on a bet? Or is it the dialect they speak in Queens?

• caspiancomic says:

It’s communicating exclusively through that little wave where you keep your forearm perpendicular to the ground and pivot your wrist.

(Seriously, though, I’m Canadian. And yeah, we don’t REALLY speak the Queen’s, since some of our spellings favour the American style over the English- like spelling organization with a ‘z’ instead of an ‘s’, but whatevs)

24. NephewOfAnarchy says:

Saints Row the third! If I get around to it. I’ve had the thing since December, shrinkwrap still on it. I kind of know its going to be one of those games where once I start playing it, there’s no turning back and I have to do every last side mission and explore every place in the city and all that. If I had any sort of life I’d probably have to clear my schedule for the next two months.

25. Staggering Stew Bum says:

Finished third playthrough of Mass Effect 3 yesterday and probably need to shelve it for a while for the sake of my marriage. Still, may dive in to a new game this weekend anyway, my options are Binary Domain, first Dragon Age or getting back to Demons Souls or Skyrim.

• BuntlineSpecial says:

Can’t speak to Binary Domain, but Dragon Age, Demon Souls, and Skyrim are not exactly the most marriage-friendly games.

Are you coming to bed, honey?

Be up in a bit, dear.  [Translation: I will endeavor to quietly slip into bed before the sun rises.]

26. Lord Autumn-Bottom says:

I will most likely stick with Rayman Origins.  Though I’m thinking about returning to X3: Albion Prelude, and I might try Psychonauts… right now, I think… to see if my last video driver update might have fixed the game-ruining graphical glitch I kept running into last time I played it.

27. Andrew_Ryans_Caddy says:

I’m discovering the original Deus Ex after picking it up in the last Steam sale and letting it sit on my hard drive, and after being disappointed in Human Revolution. Enjoying the heck out of it. I love how the stuff you do matters and figures into later events or changes conversations. Just killed Navarre. Sorry, Navarre. You were an awesome Russian cyborg, but you were gonna interrupt the interesting plot guy by murdering him.

On the console front, I’m having fun with The Darkness II. Fast talking nervous sort of crazy guy is the best.

• Shain Eighmey says:

The choices in Deus Ex still feel amazing even this far out. How you choose to deal with Navarre is definitely a part of that, as things with her can turn out so many different ways.

28. Wade says:

Having heard both of them on The Indoor Kids, it’s weird to see an interview with someone who doesn’t really understand video games by someone who also doesn’t really understand video games.

29. ClaraCWhitsett says:

FEZ!!!!

30. I’m playing through Resident Evil 2 for the first time. As a kid, I was always too afraid to even attempt and survive the undead hordes of Raccoon City. I can recall seeing the game box on the shelf at my local Blockbuster, and quickly looking away before it could damage my prepubescent psyche. But now, as a 25 year old with nerves of steal, I feel that I can play the game with minimal bed wetting.

31. STOP_RIGHT_THERE_CRIMINAL_SCUM says:

hey now, Dead Island wasn’t a bad game at all

32. Shain Eighmey says:

I know I’m late to the party, but my gaming this weekend was done mostly in Shogun 2. I still haven’t picked up Fall of the Samurai yet, but it reminded me how much I liked Total War Shogun 2, so I’ve been having a grand old time with that.