Out This Week

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon

The week’s new releases include a long-delayed Tom Clancy shooter and a board game that’s back from the dead.

By Steve Heisler • May 22, 2012

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—May 22

I know what you’re thinking, and to answer your question: No, it doesn’t. See, because Tom Clancy has to die first if his ghost is going to make an appearance. Instead, your team of Ghosts (military term) take cover in new and inventive ways as they snipe away at bad guys in far-flung locations like Pakistan, Russia, and Norway—previously only known for its experimental puppet theater. Personally, I’m holding out for the novelization.

Dragon’s Dogma
PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—May 22

According to the Wikipedia page about this new open-world role-playing game, Dragon’s Dogma is revolutionary in its invention of the “pawn system,” whereby players can borrow characters from fellow adventurers in online play, and these guys will yell helpful hints and hack away at enemies you don’t want to face. In other words, slave robots. What’s the big deal? I’ve got a couple of those in my basement. Anyway, enjoy the video of a guy killing a snake.

MIB: Alien Crisis
PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360—May 22

For those of you who won’t be seeing the newest Men In Black film in theaters, you can also not play this game. EXERCISE YOUR RIGHT TO A FREE MARKET!

Dirt: Showdown
PC—May 24
PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—June 12

This is a neat little gritty racing game, where in addition to “winning,” you can also earn points by ramming into your opponents at interesting angles. Which happens a lot, because most of the tracks—covered in the kind of dirt reserved exclusively for showdowns—weave across themselves numerous times. The word “T-bone” hasn’t been used this much since that high-class version of BurgerTime I sketched in my algebra notebook once.

Mystery Date
Board game—mid-May

Yes, seriously. There’s an updated version of Mystery Date available from Winning Moves Games, so you can relive hetero-normative relationship butterflies from the mid-1960s. The drill’s the same: Traverse the board, open the door, and reveal whether your mystery date is a stud or a dud. Though nowadays, nerds are cool, so take that, Stud Studley!

PlayStation 3—May 22

In this new PS3-exclusive action adventure game, you master spells for your magic wand and cast them by holding your Playstation Move contro—wait, where are you going?

282 Responses to “G-G-G-G-Ghost!”

1. Cloks says:

You got the dud!

• stakkalee says:

He looks like you, poindexter!

EDIT – Should have read further before posting. Stand up for yourself, poindexter!

2. RidleyFGJ says:

“In this new PS3-exclusive action adventure game, you master spells
    for your magic wand and cast them by holding your Playstation Move
    contro—wait, where are you going?”

Oh, I love this so, so very much.

• caspiancomic says:

Steve’s got a killer voice. His weekly release roundup is becoming one of my favourite segments on the site.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Gonna throw some more love on Heisler here. What other videogame related sites have people use “heteronormative” in articles that aren’t about a minority perspective on games? I guess it just goes to show how far videogame culture is behind real life culture.

3. doyourealize says:

Say what you will about Sorcery, but I’ve actually heard good things about it.  Not that I’ll get it…or the Move…or ever play this game…I guess I don’t care.  But some people might!

• Aaron Riccio says:

Next thing, people’ll be saying good things about that Spyro Skylanders game.

I can’t really talk smack, though. I still play Dance Central 2.

• dreadguacamole says:

Um… I got it for my son a couple of weeks back (he latched onto one of the figures at the toy store and wouldn’t let go).
         It’s possibly one of the most cynical things I’ve seen in gaming. It makes Pokemon or the in-game DLC vendor in Dragon Age look quaint in comparison.
         It’s also kind of a decent hack and slasher, and a blast to play with a four-and-a-half-year-old who’s just discovering video games.

• doyourealize says:

I don’t know what Spyro Skylanders is, but we have a Kinect so my fiance can play the dance games. When it was Just Dance 3, I could get into that after a few beers, especially with some people over.  DC2, though…I don’t have as much fun.  She loves it, though, so that’s what matters.

• blue vodka lemonade says:

The deal with Skylanders is that if you want more little cute critter-things in your game, you have to pony up for physical figures representing those characters. It’d be like if a Pokemon game worked by just having every single pet lined up on pegs at Wal-Mart, and if you want to catch ’em all you have to spend the better part of a month’s rent.

4. ShrikeTheAvatar says:

Hey, he kind of looks like you Poindexter!

• The_Misanthrope says:

I played the demo and found the game wanting.  The combat was meaty enough but with the “pawns” helping, I found fights turned into confusing clusterfucks.  I kept losing track of where my character was in the melee.

• dreadguacamole says:

Everyone who’s tried it* says the demo is not representative of the game.
         I don’t want to get too excited about it, but everything about it sounds great to me. A quick-paced action RPG heavily influenced by Dark Souls from the Devil May Cry team? With open-world gameplay where dying is a very real possibility if you go off the beaten path?

Damn it, I’m excited.

*edit – the full game, I mean

• The_Misanthrope says:

Oh, if a review comes up and gives a different impression, I might be convinced to give it a second look.  However, a demo released this close to actual release feels like it might be closer to the finished product.  Or maybe it’s all on me because I’m an old man who can’t handle all this fast-paced gameplay.

Small bit of credit:  The character creator for the game deserves props for allowing a truly staggering array of body types.  Whereas it usually runs the gamut from willowy-thin anorexia poster-model to buff steroid-abuser, the DD character creator is nice enough to run that scale pretty far into the endomorphic range.  So my hero could theoretically look more like me.

On the open-world risk vs. reward front, I wholly agree.  Part of what made Morrowind such a well-designed game was that understanding of how open-world games should work.  I think many game designers have this fear that if they don’t give the player a lot of unrestricted freedom in the beginning that the player will grow bored or frustrated, so they just create a large world, sprinkle some quests/missions liberally about, and just let the player do it whatever way they choose.  Making some areas tougher leads the player to make choices early in the games:  Do I stay strictly on the safest path (usually closest to civilization) or do I follow my impulse to explore and run the risk of dying?  It also grants a greater sense of progress later in the game as you breeze through areas that once were fearful corners.

• dreadguacamole says:

The Gothic Games handled exploration extremely well too, I thought.

As for Dragon’s Dogma, that’s fair enough. I’m also quoting various forums on the demo thing, so take it with several fistfuls of salt. Most of the reviews say it’s a very flawed game, but then go on to describe a lot of really nifty elements – it sounds like something I’ll enjoy or at least want to support.

5. Effigy_Power says:

Has any game developer ever used the word “revolutionary” without paying bitterly for it? With the hyena-like cackling of a thousand gamers not giving a shit about said revolutionary feature?
    Just like “winning despite having no skill” is more or less referred to as a “Homer”, calling an untested gimmick in a game “revolutionary” should henceforth be regarded as “pulling a Molyneux”. My mouse-and still hurts from magic gestures in Black and White and that force-feedback mouse for touchin’ ‘shrooms is in a box somewhere.

EDIT: Few things make me not want to play a game as much as “Tom Clancy’s…” does. Maybe it’s the missing Y-chromosome, but that’s that.

• Mookalakai says:

We’ll have to disagree on this one, because nothing makes me more excited for shooting at people of different ethnicities than “Tom Clancy Presents”

• Staggering Stew Bum says:

That’s where the Uncharted series is also strong… serbian mercenaries, mutated spaniards/nazis/nepalese, arabs, indonesian pirates… if they’re ethnic Drake will cleanse ’em.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

The first three Splinter Cell games were good, but those I enjoyed those for the awesome stealth (and multiplayer!). I tend to stay away from military games be they Tom Clancy’s or Call of Duty’s or what have you.

• Stingo the Bandana Origami Pro says:

Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six are both excellent Tom Clancy series.

Ghost Recon I never got into, though.

• Sarapen says:

It’s why classic Ace Combat games are so fun, being set in a fictional universe but with exactly the same fighter planes, because that way you can fly an F-15 without feeling like you’re bombing an Afghan wedding party or something.

6. GhaleonQ says:

More important: buy Cave games while you still can.  We don’t need another mid-budget, high-quality, Japanese developer dying this miserable generation.

• root (1ltc) says:

I’ve been pleading for a review of Akai Katana. It doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.

I am truthfully disappointed. AVClub didn’t review Deathsmiles, nor Strania, nor took the time to talk up XBLA Radiant Silvergun or Ikaruga, and it looks like it will ignore this as well.

Please review Akai Katana. Even if the review is unfavorable, I want to see if that opinion can be expressed without falling into the common trappings which blight shooter reviews written elsewhere.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Maybe send them an email? You might at least get an official response that way. I’d be interested in reading reviews about games between the big budget AAA and the Sawbuck Gamer type fare, or games that I normally wouldn’t have heard of/know to be interested in.

• GhaleonQ says:

I think, irrespective of Cave’s trials, the site could better cover the mid-budget game.

And I’m on board with you.  Shoot-’em-up and fighting game reviews are notoriously bad, so I’d love to see what someone creative could do with them.

7. The_Misanthrope says:

“Included with your purchase is a ONE-YEAR subscription to FAMILY CIRCLE”–Whoa, whoa, Mystery Date, slow down!  I just started dating Ms. Cardboard Cutout!

8. HobbesMkii says:

All of them look miserable except for that Men In Black movie tie-in. Movie tie-in games are the best kind of games ever.

9. ToddG says:

I guess I’ll own my role as the token shooter fan here and mention that I am excited to try out GR:FS when I get home from work.

I am excited to try out GR:FS when I get home from work.

I’m a great big shooter fan, but I steer clear of anything, regardless of which medium it’s in, that opens with the words “Tom Clancy’s”

• dreadguacamole says:

The original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon form way back when are truly great games any way you slice them. It’s a shame that truly tactical single-player shooters, as a genre, never really took off.

• Sarapen says:

Yeah, I liked planning the assault in the beginning and making sure all of the angles were covered and that my soldiers spread out properly when breaching doors. Too bad too much thinking was involved for most gamers.

• doyourealize says:

This reminds me of this…one of my favorites.  Especially the opening line: ”
        New York Times–bestselling author and noted putter-of-his-name-on-things Tom Clancy…”

That said, I still love Splinter Cell, and you can’t stop me!

• ToddG says:

While such a policy would serve you quite well in most media, I personally feel that, in the case of video games, you are doing yourself a disservice, even within this console generation.  The Clancy trappings are easily ignored, and I find the gameplay to be generally excellent, especially in this generation’s Rainbow Six entries.

10. caspiancomic says:

I choose to believe from that video of a hydra fight that Dragon’s Dogma is a dark-n-gritty low fantasy skin of Kingdom Hearts II.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

That sounds like a game I want to play. Kingdom Hearts had a pretty fun battle system, but man was that setting lame.

11. ferrarimanf355 says:

I’ll just take the Forza 4 Porsche expansion pack and Sega’s latest XBLA releases.