What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Meredith Scardino

Meredith Scardino, TV writer

The Colbert Report writer talks about playing Scramble With Friends in meetings and using games to get in shape (or not).

By Steve Heisler • May 18, 2012

Meredith Scardino is a writer on The Colbert Report who cut her teeth at The Late Show With David Letterman. Her other credits include Best Week Ever With Paul F. Tompkins and the popular sketch series Human Giant.

The Gameological Society: What are you playing this weekend?

Meredith Scardino: I mostly play Scramble With Friends. I basically go home and then totally ignore my boyfriend while I play word games with people I spend most of the day with.

Gameological: So these are people you work with?

Scardino: Yeah. We all play each other. And there’s a total hierarchy for respect because there’s some people—like, I’m in the mid-range of being okay. But then there are two guys that get, like, a hundred words a round at least. Sometimes more. But they’re in their own stratosphere. I have a lot of respect for them now, on a different level. Whenever there’s a two-second lull in a meeting, you’ll get a notification that someone just finished scrambling you.

Gameological: That could totally be a way to get in trouble—if someone’s supposed to be doing something and their boss sees they made a move on Scramble With Friends.

Scardino: The thing is, we have a very cool work atmosphere, and I also think that people’s minds can operate on multiple levels. When I first started “scramblin’,” I couldn’t do anything else at the same time. But now you can kind of, like, be listening to something while you’re scramblin’. I think if everyone was too obsessed with it for too long, it’ll get annoying, and things will have to change. Right now, there’s been no collateral damage.

Gameological: Do you play anything else?

Scardino: Oh, you know what I have? I don’t know if this is considered a game, but I have Nike Fuel Band.

Gameological: I don’t even know what that means.

Scardino: The Nike Fuel Band. It’s a little bracelet that basically makes exercise semi-competitive. It’s a little black band that says how active you are in a day and it says, like, calories and blah blah blah. You set a goal, and it measures your fuel for the day, and when you hit your goal the bracelet lights up and it’s like, “Cool!” I bought my boyfriend one too, and you can compete with how active you are. In a month of having it, I have only hit my goal once. I don’t work out very often. I kinda bought it to realize how inactive my day is. And it is incredibly stagnant. By the end of the day, I’ll come home and my fuel is in, I don’t know, a couple hundred points. And my boyfriend, who hadn’t even worked that day, will be at 4,000. We basically sit around and don’t really move all day. That’s semi-competitive.

Gameological: I feel like any game that involves losing weight and counting calories and feeling good about yourself is probably not a real game.

Scardino: I kind of agree. I don’t really like to exercise—I mean, in theory I do—but I thought maybe if there’s a way I can turn it into a game I might do it more often. The first three days I was really into it. But now it’s always not charged and plugged into my computer.

Gameological: So now you just have an expensive bracelet that says “fuel” on it.

Scardino: It’s not attractive at all. It’s just a black band. It looks like I’m supporting some cause.

And now, we put the question to you. Tell us what you’ve been playing lately, and which games—video or otherwise—are on your playlist for the weekend.

1,857 Responses to “Meredith Scardino, TV writer”

1. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’m probably gonna spend a decent amount of time playing SNES platformers. Namely Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 2. I’ve been having a hankering for DKC2 in particular, if only to listen to the music.

• Destroy Him My Robots says:

Personally, I’m thinking about setting aside some time for Yoshi’s Island this weekend. We’ll see.

• Raging Bear says:

Weird. I’ve also been feeling the call of the past, and really itching to bust out my Monster World collection.

Is there something communicable spreading among us making us all want to play old games? Perhaps a retrovirus?

Maybe the Community episode last night. It certainly got lots of folks waxing nostalgic in the comments over that the AVClub. SNES-era is just about the right period for it to evoke, too.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

AIGH. Is the Community fan thing gonna be on here too? I’m currently like halfway through season 2 and it’s enjoyable enough, but holy shit do I get annoyed when people bring it up when it’s nowhere near relevant. Not that’s necessarily the case her, but it’s a gateway reference! Uh, no offense @bakana42:disqus .

@Douchetoevsky:disqus: Come on now, Community isn’t just a show; it’s a lifestyle! As the AV Club’s resident Community hater, I’ve learned to live with it. *ducks behind tomato shield*

I honestly wasn’t trying to shoehorn it in, though I had just alt+tabbed from the comments in TVClub, as I’d watched the episodes this morning, so the glowing nostalgic excitement people were having over there was fresh in my mind as I read these comments extolling SNES excitement.

• George_Liquor says:

I got that game off eBay a few weeks ago & I’ve been meaning to spend some time with it. I’ve been catching up up on all the old SNES games I missed out on as a kid with a Genesis.

I felt so sorry for my Genesis friends back in the 5th grade. I was probably kind of patronizing. “Yeah, that’s great, your Mortal Kombat has blood in it, no, seriously, good for you. I’ll just be over here playing MegaMan X, Donkey Kong Country, and Earthbound…No, I’m sure there are plenty of just as fun games on your system.”

• George_Liquor says:

The Genesis is not short on terrific games. I contend that Sonic 2 is one of the best platformers ever released.

Today, though, we live in a wondrous new world where SNES and Genesis games are not only easy to collect, but they can both be played on the same console.

• ApesMa says:

Sonic 2 was great but I wouldn’t say it’s up there with SMW and Yoshi’s Island. Those games are the absolute peak of 2D platforming.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I recently found out that Aladdin on SNES and Genesis were completely different games. I felt so bad for my friend who had the Genesis version.

And yes, I will forever argue that SNES has probably the best library of any one console. (Wii downloads don’t count.)

@Douchetoevsky:disqus : There are folks that will contend that the Sega Aladdin is the better game (it was made by the Earthworm Jim guys, so the animation, at least, is quite nice from what I’ve seen). I haven’t played either, so I can’t judge.

I will absolutely agree with you that the SNES has probably the strongest library of games of any single system.

• BarbleBapkins says:

Ah, Yoshi’s Island is amazing, probably my all time favorite platformer, I think it’s one of the few games I actually got 100% on.  And it has some of the absolute best music and art on the SNES.

Yoshi’s Island is one of the few times my jaw actually dropped due to a game’s graphics. I was way more wowed by the advances it made to 2D gaming than I was by the later jump to 3D.

• ApesMa says:

@bakana42:disqus That’s because the graphics of the first 3D generation were incredibly ugly. By the way, it’s funny how Yoshi’s Island was overshadowed by DKC’s flashy graphics when it came out. Play them now and YI looks a lot better, just like SNES games look a lot better than N64 games.

@ApesMa:disqus “That’s because the graphics of the first 3D generation were incredibly ugly.” You’ll get no disagreement with me there.

But the amount of derision I’ve gotten for suggesting Zelda 64 was a graphical step down from Zelda III from a hordes of folks who apparently creamed their jeans at the beautiful sight of smeary, smudgy, garishly-colored, cardboard-box Link lead me to believe my aesthetic sensibilities are in the minority.

• BarbleBapkins says:

@bakana42:disqus I think at the time my friends at least were blown away by the graphics of the N64, but they weren’t thinking of the graphical “style,” but were instead impressed with the fact that 3D gaming was even happening at all.

In hindsight though, its obvious this excitement with 3D caused a big case of rose-tinted glasses as the jump from SNES vibrancy to N64 cloudiness was a definite step down.

Edit: If those people are still suggesting (in 2012) that OoT is better looking than AlttP, I think they might be a bit blinded by their own brand of nostalgia.

• ApesMa says:

@BarbleBapkins:disqus That’s exactly it. @bakana42:disqus , if you were the guy in the SS comment section who thought OoT was a step down overall, not just the graphics, that’s probably why people didn’t agree.

Every gamer I know will agree now that those games look terrible, but many of us didn’t realize until we played them again on the Virtual Console, XBLA etc. The gameplay mechanics are also very rough as they were still figuring 3D gaming out (camera mechanics especially).

@ApesMa:disqus : I think the analogy I made back then was that the debut of the N64 was like getting a system where every game was a “Super FX” game, where new gameplay possibilities were made available in exchange for extreme visual poverty and somewhat janky control. I also likened that generation to the ‘Atari’ generation of 2-D games: visually horrible, ludically awkward, but absolutely instrumental in laying the groundwork for things to come.

I don’t think anyone contended that the game looks great today, but plenty contended that “at the time” it looked amazing, which, come on, if you’d owned an SNES and an eyeball or two, no, no it did not. “Holy shit, did there exist people that didn’t think OOT (and Mario 64,
          for that matter) was the best looking game ever at the time?” “Holy shit, does there actually exist people who weren’t blown away by
          the graphics when Oot was released? I remember thinking it was the best
          ever when I first saw screenshots of the game.” And so on. Lots of “holy shits” were given, apparently, heh.

That said, Majora’s Mask might be my favorite Zelda game, so I’m obviously willing to deal with N64 graphics if the gameplay and world are compelling enough. In OoT they weren’t, at least for me.

Also: I’ve now officially Googled my own past message board conversations. I think this consigns me to a particular circle of Hell.

• Aaron Riccio says:

Yeah, forget that Sega Genesis Collection bundle; I’d love a collection of serious platform games like Yoshi!

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Yoshi’s Island is probably my all time favorite videogame ever. I played through it sometime last year (on my SNES even!) so I don’t really feel the need to play it right now, but holy shit do I love that game. Perfect in every respect.

• themagnificentsluggo says:

I’m glad to see Yoshi’s Island getting some love. By the time it came out, my older brother was on to the “next gen” and thought I was stupid still playing mario games on SNES.

One of the best final stages/boss battles/endings ever.

2. Cloks says:

That one new huge game that came out this week. I believe the older version has been around for a while, but this semi-reinvention makes it more accessible to a modern audience. I am of course talking about Battleship: The Game: The Movie: The Trailer: The Motion Picture Soundtrack: The Game

3. Bowen Kerins says:

Today… Scared Stiff, Hoops, Monster Bash, Elvira, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Flash Gordon, Congo, Jackbot…

Good day, today.

4. Merve says:

I really should get an exercise bracelet or a pedometer, if only to shame myself into exercising more.

This weekend, I’ll be playing some combination of Batman: Arkham City, Fallout: New Vegas, Hydrophobia: Prophecy, L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, Portal 2’s Perpetual Testing Initiative, and Saints Row 2. I haven’t decided on exactly what combination.

• George_Liquor says:

I bought one of those Kinect exercise games a while back, and boy howdy did they get the shaming right! It’s a non-stop shame-stravaganza in 3D and SenseSurround!

5. LimeadeYouth says:

This weekend is going to be almost all Civ 3 for me and working my way through The Binding Of Isaac. I finally got through the first 2 floors of Isaac and it’s getting more disturbing and engrossing at the same time. To be honest I can see why Nintendo might have had a problem with it.

• JReich says:

Keep it up. It took me a week to finally finish an entire playthrough of Isaac, and as soon as I finished, I went right back to try again. It kind of keeps getting better.

• dreadguacamole says:

I’m looking forward to spending a *lot* more time with the binding of Isaac later this month, when the expansion hits. I’ve racked more hours on it than on many major releases…

• Aaron Riccio says:

Agreed. I should probably play through a bit more now before the expansion hits, as it sounds like the game’ll only be getting harder/longer, but I’m looking forward to finding what’ll be thrown at me next. (Hey, I beat Sheol once, so I’m satisfied.)

• Maudib says:

I can’t wait for the expansion.  I haven’t been excited by a game since I bought the Binding of Issac but had to wait a month for a computer that didn’t run the game in slow motion.  The demo just wasn’t enough for me.

• BarbleBapkins says:

Isaac didn’t click with me, even though it seems like it should be the exact type of game I would like… Maybe I’ll have to give it another chance when the expansion comes out.

6. Staggering Stew Bum says:

Max Payne 3 was released here in Australia today so picked that up, will probably have a crack at that some time this weekend.

Also looming large is the perpetual time destroyer of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Anyone else just keep getting goddamn shotguns when buying those spectre packs? All I’m after is the Black Widow.

• Aaron Riccio says:

Yeah, now that my XBOX Gold subscription has expired, I’m moving from ME3 to MP3 on the PS3; played through the first few levels and have done a little multiplayer — loving it so far, even if I happen to suck at it.

Plus, we’ve got our Gameological Crew (GLOG) slowly building up members now, so I figure it’s only a matter of time before we take over the world.

• Staggering Stew Bum says:

I just played my first MP3 Deathmatch against a whole bunch of players who seemed to have little idea of the concept of cover, so was able to bump up our GLOG crew K/D ratio to something respectable. Currently we’re 2139th ranked crew in the world. Be proud, Gameological Society.

• JReich says:

Just joined. Haven’t fired up the game yet but looking forward to getting into some crew feuds this weekend. I’m not quite sure what that means exactly, but I’m looking forward to it.

• Mookalakai says:

Is there going to be another Gameological crew that pops up when the PC version comes out? Because that sounds like a thing I want.

7. dreadguacamole says:

I’ve resigned myself to lose the weekend to the beast that is Diablo 3. It’s good. Really, really good – I’d say better than 2, at least from a single-player perspective. My wife is also chomping at the bit to play it with some friends.
     The always-on requirement is just as bad as most feared, though, and worse; I’ve had lots of lag (died a few times because of it) and even worse, lost a fair amount of progress because of server disconnections. My connection is pretty good, so I blame blizzard’s servers. It’s completely unacceptable, and yet… the game is good enough to overcome it.

• doyourealize says:

I can’t spend $60 on a game right now, but it’s really hard for me not to buy this game, and hearing how good it is just makes me want it more.

• EvelKareebel says:

Can you buy it on a disc? Only I do occasional long train journeys and would like it on the laptop, but there’s no point if I have to be connected to steam or whatever.

• nukethewhalesagain says:

On disc or off it’s going to require an internet connection.  The servers were down on launch day and millions of people couldn’t play the game.

• dreadguacamole says:

As @nukethewhalesagain:disqus says – there’s no way to play the game offline, as many of the operations are hosted server side. Blizzard remain bullish about this being a feature, so there’s little hope of them patching in an offline mode later on.
         You can buy it on disc, but you’ll need to be logged into Battlenet to be able to play.

How do the Diablo games play? I’ve heard them dismissively described as click-fests, but I imagine there’s something about them that goes beyond Zynga-style cow-clicking that makes them so attractive to Diablo fans, who generally seem like people who appreciate more complex games.

• Djur says:

They’re clickfests where you have to prepare beforehand for exactly what kind of clicking you want to do, and sometimes you need to make a strategic decision in the middle of said clickfest.

I say this as a big fan of D1 and D2 (I don’t play mandatory online games).

• dreadguacamole says:

I’d say the Diablo games are more frantic than complex, though you do have to prioritize your targets and adapt on the fly – at least on the harder difficulties. There’s also randomized loot and RPG stats progression which when done correctly can be devastatingly  addictive.

They’ve got roots on rogue-like games, so that may help explain their particular charm. Extremely stripped down, real time rogue-likes.

Structurally you usually have hub locations from which you explore randomized overland areas dotted with (also randomized) underground dungeons. Both are filled with monsters of varying power tiers and loot drops from kills, barrels and chests (and -in the case of Diablo 3- randomized scripted events).  Some older or smaller games like Fate, Torchlight or the first Diablo only allow you to go downwards from the home base.  The others have some dungeons or areas which are vital to progress the story, and eventually give you a cutscene and let you advance to a different hub.
        The exploration aspect revolves mostly around seeing what new things you find, since the environments are not very interesting (though on Diablo 3 and Torchlight, they often look very pretty). Combat consists on clicking on enemies to use skills on them, or using other abilities through hot-keys appropriately – the usual RPG suspects: area of effect attacks, buffs, auras, healing. The randomized combinations of enemies and general chaos of battle hopefully keeps what could be a grind interesting; Everything is real time and usually very fast-paced, and things can and do escalate horribly, leading to some really fun deaths and party wipes.
         All these games become a lot more fun when you play them with friends (co-op). Then again, pretty much any game does, but a lot of classes and tactics come alive when you’re in a group. A lot of people barely touch the single player components.

I’d recommend Torchlight if you want to give the genre a try; it’s a very well done game, you should be able to find it for cheap, and it’s fun straight from the beginning (I found Diablo 3 very slow going the first hour or so). The main problem is that it’s got a pretty narrow scope and no multiplayer. I also remember liking one called Nox a great deal ages ago, and that’s available for peanuts on GOG… though I have no idea how well it’s aged.

That was super duper informative, thanks. It doesn’t really sound like my kind of game, but a friend of mine just gifted me an extra copy of Torchlight on Steam (which, until your post, I also had no idea how it played or really what it was), so I may give that a try.

8. duwease says:

I’m behind the times, but I finally picked up Civ V a couple weeks ago, and it’s been the demon time suck addiction that the Civ series is known for.  Haven’t been this addicted to a game for awhile, except maybe Binding of Isaac.  Wait, the BoI expansion is coming out in a month?  No, oh God, no…

9. doyourealize says:

I am completely ignorant as to what Scramble with Friends is.  I feel out of some kind of loop.

Me?  I’ll be continuing Arkham City and hopefully playing some more Portal 2 co-op with a Steam friend from this board.  Also, I’m going to dive into, once again, League of Legends and Team Fortress 2 to see if I can find out why people find them so fascinating.  I feel like I’m missing out, but I haven’t been able to get into them.

• Aaron Riccio says:

Hurrah for our burgeoning Portal 2 co-op! That also made me start playing around with the user generated stuff . . . though I’ll be playing Max Payne 3 with the above-mentioned GLOG crew, I don’t *really* need any game other than Portal 2 at the moment.

• Eric Norris says:

I know what ‘Scramble’ is, but only obliquely, since I am the last remaining human to not own a smartphone.
      Ya and League of Legends took me a little while to really get into, but I find that it really scratches my itch for MMO pvp and RPG progression while also being quite casual and not mandating a great deal of my precious time. give it a chance.

• Aaron Riccio says:

I enjoyed my brief time with League of Legends, but I feel like I really need a crew of reliable people for that. Too often, I’m stuck on a team with one dude who just recklessly advances, over and over, until we’re so far behind we can’t catch up.

• Citric says:

There are two of us! High five!

• LimeadeYouth says:

No, there’s at least three of us.

•  Same here, although from context it sounds like the Zynga equivalent of Boggle.

Any time I have this weekend that isn’t spent judging at my local Magic PTQ (or, possibly, my father-in-law’s memorial services…) is going to be spent playing Xenoblade, just like the last ~100 hours of free time at home that I’ve had over the last month… minus the two weeks where I was having my Wii’s lens replaced.

• BarbleBapkins says:

I’m afraid you may have missed the TF2 glory days, as ever since Valve added a the real money Mannco store the number of cosmetics and weapons has exploded like a Scout on a sticky trap (ha ha… hrm) to the point that its pretty easy to get overwhelmed as a beginner.

Its still a great multiplayer shooter but some of what made it so great, such as the clarity of the art direction and class distinction, has been a little muddied over time.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I rarely play TF2 anymore, and I think it’s partially because they added so many items so frequently that I never had a chance to get them all, but mostly because I burnt myself out on it. I feel like if I had a regular server to play on I could get into it again, but meh.

TF2s prime was when they were doing the class updates with one new set of weapons for everyone. I would get so excited at every update and play a ton after each one. That was great.

• doyourealize says:

I know I missed its prime, but I still feel like I’ve missed something, and I’d like even a little taste.

Speaking from the perspective of a Demon’s Souls long-timer, I understand how the stigma of a multiplayer game can change over time.  From day one, it was about finding things with someone you would never meet.  When you invaded, it was new and exciting.  Then people started exploiting glitches and finding cheats, so the game was never quite the same. However, there’s still something great about it that survived.  It will never be the same as it was (as I imagine about TF2, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t something  worthwhile to be found.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

As the resident Dota guy, let me tell you how much LoL isn’t as good as Dota! Actually, LoL is pretty alright if you’re new to the genre, but it got boring for me after I sunk a decent amount of time into it. My advice would be to not spend any money on it. Once you buy the in game currency once you’ll sink more and more cash into it. And also seriously Dota 2 is a much better game. It fixes most of my biggest gripes that I had with LoL, except for the whole community thing.

• doyourealize says:

I’ve looked up Dota 2 and from what I read it’s only available invite only?  Is that some kind of marketing thing or is it still in beta?

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

It’s still in beta. If you can get an invite, I hugely recommend it if you find LoL lacking. I’m fairly certain the game will be free to play when it releases too, so you could just wait until then, though who knows when that will be (valve time, etc).

Ooh, Arkham City! I’ve been meaning to get others’ opinions on it. Do you find that the combat is more fluid and responsive than it was in Arkham Asylum? In Arkham Asylum, I just felt as if I was mashing the left mouse button over and over. In City, I find myself actually choosing which enemies to hit when and what I’m going to hit them with. Or maybe it’s just me, and I got used the combat.

• doyourealize says:

This is a weird question to ask me, because I played AA on PS3 and I’m playing AC on PC.  As much as it counts, though, I started by just kind of mashing the A and Y buttons (playing with a Xbox controller) and then realizing I needed to pay a little more attention to what was happening and choosing my opponents.  I think a lot of that has to do with the double-counter, which can change the odds dramatically.

• 3FistedHumdinger says:

Double counter was the singularly most awesome new feature AC introduced, almost as good as double takedowns.

• dreadguacamole says:

You definitely need to single out opponents in AC – that’s one of the brilliant touches about giving them different weapons/armor/whatever which necessitate different mechanics to beat.
         The fact that there are so many mechanics is one of the problems in the game, at least for me; pretty much like the city itself, the game feels a bit overstuffed.
         I enjoyed the first game more overall (mostly due to the tight level design), but combat in Arkham City is a thing of beauty.

• NephewOfAnarchy says:

You know what, I didn’t much like the combat in Arkham City, until I downloaded the Nightwing pack when it was on sale. Holy shit that guy kicks ass. I got the ‘get 50 hits in a row’ achievement on my first fight using him. Now its actually fun to play those combat maps.

10. The_Misanthrope says:

Busy with a lot of other things right now, but if I get the chance, I might just try and beat Basaran in Shadow of the Colossus…or go back to Dark Souls and try to get through Sen’s Fortress.  I think I should buy a new controller before I attempt the latter, though; The one I have now has a problem with the left thumbstick getting stuck in one direction, which can make crossing those narrow bridges troublesome.

11. SteveHeisler says:

Started Journey late last night, which was probably a mistake. Visions of hauntingly silent sand towers danced through my head, which would have been fine except GAH I JUST WANNA SLEEP! I can already tell this game’s gonna have a profound effect on me.

12. Drew Toal says:

I plan on feeling a little rough Sunday after a wedding tomorrow, so I’ll probably play whatever gives me the least amount of extra headache (I’m looking at you, Fez)

13. Demon’s Souls.  I hope to complete the game before the servers are taken offline forever at the end of the month.  This is a modern classic that will be remembered as an outstanding and important title for many years, and in less than 2 weeks it will never be whole again.

14. ToddG says:

Still working on ME3 Insanity.  I’m about halfway done, but got derailed this week when I decided to play through Arkham Asylum again for no reason.

15. Enkidum says:

God of War. Am liking that game a little too much – every time I solve a puzzle I feel a sense of real accomplishment, despite the fact that they’re stupidly easy. Also some combination of Portal II co-op and Ico with my kids. Haven’t gotten past the first monster in Ico, they got kind of scared actually, but I think we’ll revisit it. And still haven’t finished either Portal II campaign. Holy crap both of them are good, though.

Oh, and today am spending 40 bucks to get Bioshock I and II, Resistance II, Def Jam Icon, COD 4, Resident Evil 5, and Unreal Tournament 3. Think I’ll put off buying any more games for a while, but I actually really want several of those, and it’s a deal I can’t pass up.

• 3FistedHumdinger says:

That’s a mixed bag at best, but worth it for RE5 and Bioshock 1 alone.

• Enkidum says:

Well, I actively wanted Unreal, and Resistance is supposed to be quite decent as well. And though I’m sure Def Jam Icon is stupid as all hell, I’m a big rap fan anyways, so it’ll be worth it.

At any rate, I have several hundred hours of gaming to get through before I have to buy another game (I had a backlog even before I bought those.

16. Djur says:

Quest for Glory. Also planning out an upcoming D&D session, if that counts. Also working on one of my own game ideas.

• dreadguacamole says:

Awesome! I’m planning to do a complete thief run-through with exported saves, which I never could do back in the day. So far I’ve only finished the first game.
       You might know this, but there’s a free remake out there of Quest for Glory 2 that also fixes the maze-like city – I’ve only played a little bit, but it looks good and the remade city is a blessing. It can also import and export savegames.

Here’s a link:

17. sirslud says:

Working my way through Skyward Sword. Love the controls except when you have to roll a bomb along the ground. I’m an extremely seasoned gamer, yet it is way too easy to accidentally gently set the about-to-explode bomb down at your feet.

Also, D3, ME3, QL, Metroid: Other M

Damnit, too many games.

• ApesMa says:

Agreed, the bombing controls are awkward and probably the least succesful motion control in a game that makes excellent use of it.

I don’t know how far along in the game you are, but I only found the motion controls to be a problem in one spot; as a part of an airborne boss fight.  But lord, what a problem.  I was most upset.  But yeah, otherwise, the motion controls are just fantastic and an honest pleasure to use.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I kind of want to play Other M if only for the trainwreck factor.  But mostly, I don’t want to play it, because Samus was one of my favorite characters in games, and they went and retroactively ruined her. Also, Zero Suit Samus in Brawl was a pretty giant leap backwards. I’m still bummed.

18. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

After getting my ass roundly whomped by an emergent dark goddess in Skyrim, I’m going to see if I can’t rebuild my self-esteem through some good old fashioned necromancer slaying.

19. Citric says:

I finished Legend of Dragoon this week, with its strange final area that exists to wrap up all the plot threads they forgot to resolve in the first 30 hours – including a couple that weren’t mentioned since the first disc – and the amazingly pretentious final battle that attempts to have some kind of point about nature and humanity while also have you whale on some big scary floating thing for an hour. It was fun, but not a great game, and if the translator was semi-competent it would have been a disappointment, the unintentional comedy was great.

So now I’ve got a game going in Mass Effect and, more importantly, need a second title to play, so if you want to suggest something that could be fun.

20. Maudib says:

Working through Fallout 3.  Trying to figure out the Rockopolis sidequest before I integrate the ghouls into Tenpenny Towers.  After that, it’s a question of whether to start the Alaskan War simulator or visit the Pitt.

• dreadguacamole says:

TenPenny towers is brilliant – one of my favorite recent CRPG quests. Avoid spoilers like the plague, and make sure you check back on it every now and then after you finish the quest.

• 3FistedHumdinger says:

If you haven’t been to Mothership Zeta yet, you need to drop everything else you’re doing and head straight for it.  I’m serious here.

21. Mookalakai says:

It’s disappointing to find out the Colbert Report has writers, instead of Stephen just scribbling down his opinions 10 minutes before each show.

• LimeadeYouth says:

If he could do “the Word” segment of the top of his head, I would personally worship that man.