Out This Week

Morel Majority

Three new games, only one of which involves foraging for mushrooms, comprise our post-Memorial Day new-release roundup.

By Steve Heisler • May 29, 2012

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

Mad Riders
Xbox 360—May 30

When your ATV (or buggy, though really, are you gonna be a wuss and choose that?) is covered in mud from racing other ATVs in circles around a track and jumping through giant life preservers and you think, “These riders are mad!”—well, you will have just had a moment, my friend. There are some crazy flips happening in this game, which makes me thankful all the riders wear helmets. Take note, kids: Helmets may not be “rad” or “mondo” as you might say, but stay in school.

Iron Front: Liberation 1944
PC—May 25

I’m not quite sure how this one managed to slip through the cracks last week. Maybe because it’s yet another WWII-fetish shooting game where guys in green uniforms shoot metal things at Nazis who sometimes look through binoculars. There will be a time when war games will be behind us. This is not that time—so for now, Iron Front: Liberation 1944 promises to take you to “the front!” The iron front. Liberation.

Board game—mid-May

The tagline to this new board game from Two Lanterns Games is, “Strategic Foraging And Feasting For Two.” Which is great, because that means I ain’t playing alone! The game involves a whole bunch of cards with different kinds of mushrooms on them, as well as 16 “foraging sticks” (eight per player). Think you know all there is to know about foraging for morel mushrooms? Well then, congratulations, you are the creator of the new board game Morels.

800 Responses to “Morel Majority”

1. George_Liquor says:

So I didn’t read this. Do we get to fight Nazis on ATVs with poisonous mushrooms?

• Enkidum says:

That’s actually all we get to do. Not just in the games, but in daily life. Forever.

Replace “Nazis” with “demonic mind-skeletons” and you have a Tim Schafer game. Replace “fight” with “befriend” and you have a Peter Molyneux game.

2. doyourealize says:

So does this mean Gameological will be reviewing board games? Or just mentioning them every once in a while?

• boardgameguy says:

I would like to read reviews of board games.  I’d comment on those all day.

• John Teti says:

We may review board games if the fancy strikes us. Not sure. We are working on a recurring board game feature, though.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Hooray for boardgame coverage! I really love the broader scope that you guys are doing, the articles on gameshows are great!

• doyourealize says:

Actually, a kind of “Best of…” feature (or “favorites” or something) would be better than reviews, now that I think of it. While I love reading a snarky review of a shitty video game, I don’t think I’d get the same joy from a dismal board game. I’d rather know where to spend my money than where not to.

I think that could be a good feature if you don’t get bogged down in CCG hell.

• boardgameguy says:

Or even doing a primer on games that utilize similar mechanics.  Good games to start with worker placement, hand management, card drafting, deck-building, etc.

3. RidleyFGJ says:

Man, you know your franchise has gone nowhere when Resistance: Burning Skies doesn’t even warrant a blurb.

• Raging Bear says:

They would’ve mentioned it, but you can’t do Resistance justice in print any more. You really need to be able to spit after saying the name.

(…I haven’t been a fan of the sequels).

• Enkidum says:

Huh. I just started Resistance 2 tonight (haven’t played 1, got this for 5 bucks). It’s… eh… I might not play much more, it feels too generic-ish. I do like that you can only hold two weapons, beyond that I dunno.

• Raging Bear says:

It’s generic (especially in the god-awful story and squad chatter), and full of ridiculous insta-death scenarios and irritating boss fights.

The third game gives back the weapon wheel, which I prefer, but still has a crap story and an unacceptably high setpiece-to-proper gameplay ratio.

The first, however, is still just plain good. If you see it for a fiver, it’s the one to have.

• Enkidum says:

Yeah – the insta-deaths via Furies are very tiresome. Fall in the water, time to die!

Apparently the multiplayer isn’t bad, might give that a shot.

4. Drew Toal says:

This is my favorite part of the Gameological week. Heisler, you’ve done it again!

• doyourealize says:

This is my favorite blurb this time: “Think you know all there is to know about foraging for morel mushrooms? Well then, congratulations, you are the creator of the new board game Morels.”

5. Boonehams says:

Batman: Arkham City – Game of the Year Edition.

My patience pays off today.  *steeples fingers*

6. caspiancomic says:

Ooooohhhhhh, Memorial Day! That’s why there were no updates yesterday! I thought I was trapped in some kind of Groundhog Day style temporal loop and it was going to be Sunday forever. Turns out I’m just Canadian.

Haha, you’re not the only one. Until yesterday, I didn’t know why Memorial Day was celebrated. And I’ve been living in the States for a year.

7. ferrarimanf355 says:

More time to catch up on Forza 4, then.