Out This Week

Sledge Hammer

Lazy Days Of Summer

Sand, slow driving, and box-office blockbusters make up a hot, steamy week of releases.

By Steve Heisler • June 26, 2012

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

Sledge Hammer
Xbox 360—June 26

Maximum Games is a company devoted to making entertainment for all ages, with such popular titles as Veggy World, Junior Island Adventure, and The Name Of The Game Is Exactly What The Game Is. Then there’s Sledge Hammer, which, in the words of Maximum Games, is “a fast-paced, turbo-charged hybrid action game combining speed and combat to deliver the ultimate racing experience. You will take on the role of Jack Hammer, a rough-and-tumble, take-no-prisoners war veteran with a thirst for blood and vengeance.” So…it’s for big kids? Or those easily excited by images of a giant truck lazily running into a bunch of police cars?

Spec Ops: The Line
PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—June 26

This third-person shooter game takes place on the streets of a futuristic Dubai, after a sandstorm covers the city with sand. You command a squad with tactical strategies like, “Remove your boot and shake the sand out,” “Complain about how there’s going to be sand in your suitcase for weeks,” and “Brush sand off your shoulder because it got stuck on your suntan lotion.”

The Amazing Spider-Man
Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Wii, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—June 26

It’s just like Spider-Man: The Movie from 2002, only more emo. Spider-Man still swoops through city landscapes and takes down evildoers with white sticky stuff, but he, like, feels differently about it, you know? Like he’s really a British person pretending to be a native New Yorker. Also, Bruce Campbell plays a blimp. With feelings.

129 Responses to “Lazy Days Of Summer”

1. HobbesMkii says:

“Out This Week” doesn’t cover DLC, does it? Both Skyrim: Dawnguard and Crusader Kings 2: Sword of Islam came out today as well.

• Chris Holly says:

Boo on Dawnguard being XBOX-only for now. Also, the Mass Effect 3 edited ending is out today too, for those who are into revisionist history.

• Boonehams says:

And Battlefield 3: Close Quarters sees wide release today.

See, it was DLC week, Heisler. But instead you’ve got a Call of Duty clone, something called “Sledge Hammer,” (because apparently that’s two words now) and the movie tie-in game to the remake of a movie (which, I guess makes the tie-in a remake of the videogame tie-in to the movie being remade? I have to go lie down now).

Say, now that you mention Dawnguard…  I’m already (possibly unfairly) preemptively annoyed by it.  From everything I’ve read, you can take either the vampire lord path -replete with strange and intense new powers rich with mythical undercurrents- or the Dawnguard path… which has a crossbow… and maybe a troll will follow you.
         I mean sure.  I know that for over a generation it’s been understood that evil’s cool and good is totally lame.  But for an expansion this size I think it’s a bit silly that evil gets this incredible new character build and good gets a white participation ribbon.

According to all the information I have about Dawnguard, it seems that the free DLC “Moonpath to Elsweyr” seems to be a lot more fun than adding something the game already has.
        I was hoping for a tentative glimpse into a ravaged Morrowind, maybe a visit to the Imperial City beset by Thalmor…
        No matter how great the improvements for Vampires are, for me the DLC promises nothing of substance.

• RidleyFGJ says:

Telltale also announced today that the second episode of The Walking Dead game would be hitting the 360 tomorrow and the PC and PS3 on Friday.

2. Chris Holly says:

Curious to see how the Amazing Spider-Man game turns out. Really enjoyed Shattered Dimensions but I thought Edge of Time was one of the most boring games I’ve ever played, despite having Completely Insane Val Kilmer voicing the villain.

• Aaron Riccio says:

Completely Insane Val Kilmer, like Completely Insane Nicholas Cage, is a thing that’s better SEEN than HEARD.

• Cornell_University says:

Val Kilmer is always worth being seen, and by him I mean how much he’s let himself go since the period of time before he got himself blacklisted from every major Hollywood studio.

3. Drew Toal says:

For a second, I thought Sledge Hammer was a game version of the amazing ’80s television program.

4. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

I think Disqus is feeling a little gremlin-y these days.

5. Aaron Riccio says:

If anybody could invest a blimp with feelings — a cleft-chin blimp, mind you — it would be The Bruce! Paging Pixar: it’s time to take the Cars franchise to the sky. I’m talking “Blimp,” the story of a lovable but overweight dirigible who, after the untimely death of his Uncle Hindenburg, must find a way to overcome his fear of flying and prove to his air-ace rivals that he’s not just full of hot air! (I’m told there’s a cameo from the Floating House from Up!)

6. ShitMcFuckensteinAVC says:

Still waiting for a military shooter game to do something interesting. It’s been awhile. I miss more strategic games like GRAW or Brothers in Arms (except the third).

• Chris Holly says:

I think the last interesting “military” shooter I played was SWAT 3/4. Loved actually having to rescue civilians (even though I had to ziptie ’em first) and getting more points for nonlethal arrests.

Dammit, now I want SWAT 5, although with stupid naming conventions these days it’d be called 5WAT.

• ShitMcFuckensteinAVC says:

Oh yeah. Swat 4 was great. Never played Swat 3. I think it’s on Gog. Maybe I should try it.

My favorite part of SWAT 3 was that the deathmatch mode could be set to paintball.

• dreadguacamole says:

Depending on your tolerance for really dated graphics, I’d highly recommend the first Rainbow Six game and its sequel (Rogue Spear)- depending on my mood, it and Swat 3 are my all-time favorite shooters (tactical and otherwise)

• dreadguacamole says:

I don’t know if kickstarters are your thing at all, but check this out:

I’ve reached my kickstarter quota this month, but if it looks like my money might help closer to the end date, I’ll definitely donate. It looks amazing.
         Oh, who am I kidding. I will end up paying for this.

7. dreadguacamole says:

I’m guessing The Secret World falls into next week, but me and the wife are hoping to play it over the head-start weekend. I’m genuinely excited for it after playing the beta, even if combat is (quite) a bit crap.

• GhaleonQ says:

Anyone who played Dreamfall isn’t coming into a Tornquist game for the combat, to be fair.  Theres not a lot of competition for satisfying combat, either, and I’d bet he nailed the storytelling.  I’m intrigued.

• blue vodka lemonade says:

I didn’t know it was Tornquist!

Windows 7 has a “sticky notes” program which I abuse terribly by completely tiling my desktop with endless lists with no real labels. I had one which said THE SECRET WORLD and nothing else, and it took me a week to remember what the hell it was.

8. Merve says:

ARKHAM SPIDERMAN WUB WUB

9. I’ve already laughed at Sledge Hammer once before…when it was called…(snickers) Hard Truck.

@andrewtoal:disqus stole my preferred pop-culture observation, so I’ll go with my backup plan:  I was hoping this game was a Peter Gabriel simulator.  Preferably something that would explain the “Shock The Monkey” video.  But running into police cars looks cool, too.

• marsilies says:

Hard Truck Apocalypse is by the same developers as Sledge Hammer, so that probably explains the similarity.

Also, Sledge Hammer was released in the UK (and possibly US) on PC as Gear Grinder a few years ago. The game itself dates back to 2008.