Out This Week

Malicious

Death And Destruction

Knock down walls and kill tons of bosses in this week’s releases.

By Steve Heisler • July 24, 2012

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

Malicious
PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita—July 24

There are no levels to speak of in this action game. Just a lot of boss fighting. You start fighting bosses, and you end fighting bosses. You eat fighting bosses, you sleep fighting bosses. You bathe fighting bosses. You fight bosses fighting bosses. You dream of a world in which senseless violence is no longer needed in the form of fighting bosses fighting bosses.

Rusty Hearts: Reborn
PC—July 24

This update to the popular (and FREE) MMORPG includes new enemies, new weapons, and a trailer containing the most dramatic music ever to play over serene shots of log cabins. Plus one of the characters is a werewolf named Tude Macleod, a name normally reserved for male strippers—though if you really think about it, werewolves usually are naked.

Wreckateer
Xbox 360—July 25

My favorite part of the gameplay demo above isn’t the fact that you use the Kinect to aim a slingshot and somehow spin the wrecking ball while it’s in the air. It’s not the terrible goblin (Scottish?) accents or the blatant attempt to profit off the popularity of Angry Birds. It’s the very beginning: “Hey everybody, I’m Alex from the Xbox Live Team” [hold for applause; none comes].

Legends Of Pegasus
PC—July 26

This planetary exploration game has you build your own ships to conquer galaxies, meaning you have to drag mechanical doohickeys onto rigs and hope they don’t confabulate into a spaceawazzle. Oh, that ol’ sentence? I’ve just been studying up on my galactic lingo ever since becoming captain of many starships (“starships” being my name for paper clips). Try not to be too impressed!

Foosball 2012
PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita—July 24

Yep.

989 Responses to “Death And Destruction”

1. Travis Stewart says:

How has a year with so many fantasy and sci-fi 4X strategy game releases failed to provide more than one which actually have a sense of flavor or setting? I get that mechanical strength should be the focus, but these games have to go through the process of creating a universe.

• dreadguacamole says:

I haven’t played it yet, but doesn’t Endless Space have a fair amount of personality and lore?
       I mean, one of the factions is a guy who decided to remake his part of the universe into his image. As in, the whole faction is composed of his clones. I couldn’t possibly hate on that…

• Travis Stewart says:

Unfortunately, the lore pretty much ends with the faction descriptions. There’s a little bit in the hero history files, but not nearly enough to give you an idea about how any particular faction operates. I suppose there are the various starting bonuses and ship styles, but they don’t really provide much insight into the player groups. The amount of detail is basically equivalent to Galactic Civilizations 2: Dark Avatar, minus the jokey tech descriptions and insight gleamed from two terribly thought-out campaigns. So yeah, there’s a faction composed out of one guy’s clones, but that’s pretty much all you’ll get to know about the Horatio.

• dreadguacamole says:

Fair enough; all I know of it is through a friend, who to be honest has mostly raved about its UI. Some of my friends are very boring…

• Travis Stewart says:

It does have a very nice interface, and some interesting ideas on planetary development which should really be picked up by other developers. I think Endless Space is the first I’ve played where different planet types served a gameplay purpose beyond slowing territory expansion.

2. dreadguacamole says:

Ummm… yeah. Moving onto good games*, if anyone has some spare change from the Steam Sale, the new Indie Royale just went up. It’s got the whole Geneforge Saga; if you haven’t played it, and can look past the low-fi graphics and the clunky interface, it’s one of the best indie RPGs out there.

*ok, ok – Legends of Pegasus actually looks pretty good. Stop poking holes in my snark!

3. stakkalee says:

Virtual foosball, huh?  I’ll just leave this here.

• The_Misanthrope says:

Before we get too confident in our snark, we do have to remember that one of the early popular* titles in the 360 library was “Rockstar Presents Table Tennis”.

*popular=”it’s either this or play Halo 2 again”

4. Effigy_Power says:

I do like the “Forget your Sins” tagline as a slight against Sins of a Solar Empire, which is clearly a contender for Pegasus.
    That said, Legends of Pegasus looks pretty good and the combat seems cinematic and grand in scale…
    As long as the terra-forming isn’t ACTUAL real time (I don’t have a few decades or centuries to play this), I might actually give it a shot.

5. DonE says:

So… I’ll just spend this week continuing to zone out/stress out with Dyad again. Those trophy levels are fucking _hard_.

6. DonE says:

Also, Malicious looks like a game that is trying to cash in on those folks who aren’t into the new DMC. Not that I have a finely-calibrated scope for such things, having only borrowed the original DMC and DMC2 from a friend on PS2, but… yep, that’s just what it looks like.

7. Ghostfucker says:

Finally can get my Foos-on during the morning commute!