Sawbuck Gamer

Cubic Love

Box Spring

Cubic Love is a sweet game of split-second decisions.

By Steve Heisler • July 12, 2012

The Rayman series is known for levels that require you to sprint the entire time, from start to finish. Spikes raise and lower at specific intervals; puffs of smoke and fire billow out at predetermined times. So if you slow down, even for a second, you might miss your window and be forced to start all over. The frantic nature of these levels means you essentially abandon any hope of coherent thought while you play, and you operate on a completely instinctive level. Agility outweighs all else.

Cubic Love is like a stripped-down version of those Rayman levels, set to a homespun Etsy backdrop. You’re a box with a heart on it, and you are only able to jump (by clicking on the screen). That’s it—no powers, no nonsense. You collect coins and avoid spiky blocks as the screen flies by. You have to jump, or not, based on split-seconds of information.

Success rests on your ability to instantly sense the best action to take at any given moment, even if that action is to do nothing. Sometimes the blocks stack high, and you must choose either the low path or the high one, not knowing which one leads to more coins or a bed of spikes. Unlike Rayman, though, the levels are randomly generated, meaning perfection can’t be practiced.

29 Responses to “Box Spring”

1. Chip Dipson says:

This game feels like I’m playing a Mario game where a super-virus has eliminated all forms of life, leaving room for secretly sentient crates to take over.

2. stakkalee says:

Surprisingly addictive.  I also appreciate how they seemingly start you randomly on the board after you die so that A)It doesn’t get boring, and B)It takes longer to memorize the right timing.

C’mon Boxy!  Jump!  Jump!

• Aaron Riccio says:

Has anybody made a game called “Jump! Jump! Jump!” yet? (Kriss Kross sample optional.)

3. Xtracurlyfries says:

A game that simple has no right to be so fun :D

4. Effigy_Power says:

Fun, but I prefer the same premise with the Rollercoaster… I just can’t remember the name of that game.

5. Limeade Youth says:

Cute, but I prefer Edmus, where you can actually see other competitors. It’s rather hypnotic:

• Aaron Riccio says:

I was just going to say this. I mean, Cubic Love is cute, and the sountrack is nice, but it doesn’t really do much that other games of this exact nature don’t do. And I’d rather play a runner that slightly more complex and rhythmic (Bit.Trip.Runner, for one) than Canabalts.

6. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

So, the Steam Summer Sale started today. Almost every game on there is on sale. Pretty relevant to Sawbuck Gamer, I think.

The Number one rule of steam sales is to not buy a game unless it’s one of the daily deals. If you wait until the last day, whatever game you want will still be at the discounted price, but it’s sure to be cheaper if they put it up as a daily deal. This ALWAYS happens. You’ll buy a game and it will go on sale the next day. Just be patient. And if a game you’ve been wanting is listed on the front page as a daily deal? Go for it.

• flowsthead says:

My rule is to only buy games that are:
      A) 75% off (sometimes 66%)
      B) less than 15 dollars if not A.

Generally, I only do B if I really want the game, or if there is a low chance of it being A.

The downside is I have to wait months/years for awesome games to be on sale (I still haven’t played Skyrim).

Yay! You’ve got your wrinkly gray sandworm dick back! I missed that guy.

• Aaron Riccio says:

For a moment, I thought you were calling him a wrinkly gray sandworm dick for following that penny-pinching rule of his. (Which is a good one.)

Skyrim, incidentally, is on sale. Alone it’s not that much off, but if you get it as part of the Bethesda bundle, I’m fairly sure it’s 66%-75% off, depending on how highly you value the other games it comes with.

• flowsthead says:

Only on Gameological. AV Club I still have the other dood.

• Aaron Riccio says:

I’ll just say it again: SpaceChem + DLC is only $3.00 for the next six hours. Act now!

• caspiancomic says:

I feel like I’m going to get a resounding ‘yes’ on this one, but should I purchase The Binding of Isaac for $2.50?

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

If you like roguelike mechanics, sure. The game is a lot of fun, and definitely worth $2.50. Though $2.50 can go a long way during steam sales weeks. Definitely wait to see if it gets put up as a daily deal though. I’d not be surprised if it’s available for like $1.25 or something later. And if it’s not you can get it for $2.50 on the last day.

• Aaron Riccio says:

Sure enough, as @Douchetoevsky:disqus said below, Binding of Isaac is on sale today. If you thought it was worth it for $2.50, how about picking up it AND the Wrath of the Lamb expansion (and Soundtrack) for $2.23. Now *I* wish I’d waited.

7. Calvin Holt says:

Being able to listen to the whole song after you die is a serious flaw.

8. caspiancomic says:

This game wanted me to download some kind of plug-in to play it, and I wanted to prove my theory that it was basically just Canabalt except you’re a box so badly that I actually did it. On its own merits though: kinda fun!