Sawbuck Gamer

Yeah Jam Fury

Powerful Egos

Yeah Jam Fury dissects the slacker’s psyche.

By Drew Toal • July 17, 2012

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap ($10 or less) game.

Three seconds into playing Yeah Jam Fury, I was convinced it was nothing but the daydream of some insomniac Wesleyan stoners. I figured they made it, promptly forgot about it, and went out for shrimp tacos. I’m still pretty sure that is exactly what it is, but this puzzle platformer reveals a deceptive depth that is absent from your typical drug-induced “best idea ever.”

Your character has three interchangeable personalities—Yeah, Jam, and Fury—all of which must be used to find the stage-ending mango in 40 or so levels. Each level demands a different combination of your skills: Yeah creates new blocks, Jam uses a hammer to repel himself across Yeah Jam Fury’s mango-rich expanse, and Fury…well, Fury smash.

Despite the goofy music and goofier premise, Yeah Jam Fury can draw you into its weird world like one of those gateway drugs you learned about in D.A.R.E. Some levels—like the aptly named “Wall Of Face”—take no time at all to figure out. The solution to many others, though, isn’t at all obvious. If you can tolerate the game’s often-irritating window dressing—I hate the insufferably upbeat Yeah with all my black, hippy-hating heart—Yeah Jam Fury offers more rewards than a pile of rotting tropical fruit.

98 Responses to “Powerful Egos”

1. Chris Holly says:

“Yeah Jam Fury offers more rewards than a pile of rotting tropical fruit

I can’t tell if that’s a compliment or not.

2. Enkidum says:

Is everyone at Gameological high today? Lotta drug references in today’s articles, is all (well, 2, but I believe that’s 2 more than any previous day)…

3. Merve says:

After about 30 seconds of playing this game, I wanted to punch everyone in the face. Also, the controls are abysmal. Maybe I’d enjoy this game if I were high.

4. The_Misanthrope says:

Instead of my usual bellyaching how there are never any  worthwhile Kindle Fire/DroidOS games, I did some digging through the Kindle Fire store looking for some promising games on the cheap (because I’m pretty poor right now).  So without further ado, I present my version of Sawbuck Gamer (for the Kindle Fire/DroidOS):
    (In order to keep this short, I’ll keep these relatively short.  If you want further detail, just ask me.)

Sum Wot Doku (by SumWotDog):  Fact about me:  I hate Sudoku but I love KenKen.  This game randomly generates KenKen puzzles, but they lack a certain elegant design and start to feel a bit similar after awhile.  It does have a very simple, useful interface that helps the player keep track of the numbers.  There was also a problem with puzzles that had more than one solution that would only accept one as the “correct” solution.

Block Story Lite (by Mind Blocks):  While I could easily disparage this game for being another Minecraft clone, my bigger problem was the interface, which attempted to blend touch-game functionality with a game-controller overlay.  Either element alone might have been fine, but trying to move and jump with the controller-overlay while looking around and mining with swipes and touches is just a pain.

Draw Something Free (by OMGPOP):  The first time I played this I became disenchanted because I’d play with people who would just write the word out instead of trying to draw it.  But thanks to @EffigyPower:disqus , I’ve come back into the fold and I’m enjoying the game again.  It’s a remarkably simple idea that works well on these devices.

The Walking Dead:  Dead Reckoning (by AMC?!?):  I wish I knew exactly who developed this comic-book/choose-your-own-adventure combination
    (I have a hard time believing AMC did it all in-house), because, apart from being way too short, it is really well-done, a perfect blend of story and timed events.  Hungry for more story experience, I looked through the Fire store but only found a lot of children’s books and…

Marvel’s The Avengers:  Iron Man- Mark VII (by Loud Crow Interactive Inc.):  Written by friend of the Gameological Society Fred Van Lente, the comic part of this comic-book/game hybrid basically retells the Iron Man bits from the movie and is done pretty well, with optional voice narration.  However, the game part is pretty much an interactive toy:  poke and prod, shake, or tilt the screen to find the “secrets”.  It would probably be fun for kids, but it’s just a time-killer for me.

Mobile C64 Full (by Joerg Jahnke):  I’m inclined to be charitable to this limited Commodore 64 emulator because it’s only 99 cents and developed by one guy.  However, since I had a hard time even getting even the simplest game to run on it, I would not recommend it except as a novelty.  It seems strange that my shiny Kindle Fire is taxing its processor to the limit just trying to emulate 1982’s finest affordable home computer.

• George_Liquor says:

Being an iPhone shlub, I really envy the wealth of console & home computer emulators available for Android.

5. PPPfive says:

When I started the game I jumped three times and heard ‘dude’ once and an incredibly unconvincing ‘woot’ twice. I did not proceed.