Gameological In StereoPodcast

Beat The Interns II

Episode 7: Beat The Interns II

A new chance to test your mettle against the Gameological interns. Plus: Ellie Gibson accosts an Olympic athlete, sort of!

By John Teti • August 10, 2012

The interns face off against the readers—and this time, against the Gameological staff—in another game-themed trivia showdown. I’ll warn you, it was a stronger performance from the intern crew this time around, so if you’re playing along at home, you’d better bring it. We also have another visit from Ellie Gibson, whose Olympic diary, Letters From London, is drawing to a close, so we reflect on England’s Olympic experience. Ellie has fallen into such an Olympic craze that she’s seeing mirages of Olympians everywhere, even in the bathroom of a local Mexican restaurant.

A scheduling note: I’m going to ease off the semi-weekly schedule for now, because there’s not always something to talk about, and I’d like to at least try not to bore you folks. So the podcast is going to shift to something like The A.V. Club’s “when we’ve got something” scheduling philosophy. There are subscription links down below so that you can be notified when there’s a new episode of Gameological In Stereo, or you can also check the front page of the site, religiously, multiple times a day.

Don’t miss a single episode of Gameological In Stereo: Add the podcast-only feed to your RSS reader, or your podcast app, or what have you. You can also subscribe on iTunes.

1,292 Responses to “Episode 7: Beat The Interns II”

1. ToddG says:

Regarding the finger snapping, is Ellie talking about that thing that Ali G does?

2. ToddG says:

Also, I can top Ellie’s Olympian-spouse-meeting story: we had a former Olympian at our opening ceremonies viewing.  She participated in the Athens games on the Greek soccer team, which was handled quite easily by the USA team in the first round.

3. 8 points plus both tiebreakers. Not so good with literature and economics. :P

4. Effigy_Power says:

I bet @Merve:disqus would have killed in that economics question.

Actually, no. I didn’t make the connection between “coins” and “gold,” so I thought it was referencing Bowser’s hoarding of currency.

• ToddG says:

When he first mentioned a million coins, I thought it was going to be about some sort of artificial inflation.

5. Girard says:

“He needs to get another hobby” is the most hilarious response to Michael Phelps (or any Olympian) I’ve ever read.

6. Mooy says:

I ended with an embarrassing 2 points… I’ll let myself out

7. HobbesMkii says:

Doesn’t Myst begin with you finding Atreus’ book and opening it?

8. The_Horse_Chestnut says:

The person who guessed that Tonga might have won a medal in Shotput was actually very nearly correct. Valerie Adams (women’s silver medal winner this year) is of half-Tongan heritage. Granted, she competes for New Zealand, but it was a good guess.