Old-Time Treasure Appraise ShowVideo

Check Your Head

For treasure appraiser Arthur M. Gameological III, the skull’s the limit.

By Jason Reich • September 18, 2012

When we agreed to let Arthur M. Gameological III serve as master appraiser for our Old-Time Treasure Appraise Show, we hadn’t intended for it to be an ongoing series. Then Mr. Gameological himself burst into our offices late at night, demanding to shoot another installment. And as he stood there – hands on hips, the late summer breeze off the Gowanus Canal rustling the delicate silk folds of his smoking jacket, which threatened at any moment to fall open entirely – we had no choice but to welcome him back to the appraiser’s chair. Once again, your host is Pete Strackmeier, who’s been staying on our couch.

(In case you missed it: In yesterday’s episode we appraised the Super Mario Bros. 3 Warp Whistle.)

254 Responses to “Check Your Head”

1. George_Liquor says:

Great video, but Mr. Gameological always struck me as more of a necklace-made-of-ears kinda guy.

2. Merve says:

When I saw the skull, I was hoping it would be Murray from the Monkey Island series. Then I realized that a talking skull video would be really hard to pull off.

3. caspiancomic says:

How’re you gonna sell a skull? Everybody in the world has one already. If you find someone willing to buy a skull send them my way, I’ve got some bridges I’ve been trying to get rid of.

4. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Galloping Galaxies wasn’t the greatest game, though there was so much prime material left out of early drafts of Ice Pirates, I can understand the desire to collect them into a game narrative.
       But what it lacked in balance, game play, graphics or control, it made up for in the cartridge’s advanced voice chip.
       Bruce really made that dialog pop!

5. Citric says:

If you look closely at the background you can see many potential candidates for that new feature that just had its debut today. Also, sweet Christ on a cracker with a side of ranch dressing there are a lot of Wii Sonic games.

• John Teti says:

Haha, I noticed the Wii Sonic glut, too, as I was editing the footage. I feel as someone who writes about games for a living, I should have been aware of this phenomenon. But holy shit, I … I had no idea…

6. Staggering Stew Bum says:

I’d be happy to examine Samantha Martin’s skull anytime, if you know what I mean… *winks provocatively*

Actually, that sounds a tad creepy.

Well, nothing gets the ladies going like a sexy phrenology session. I know it gets my ears flapping just thinking about it. But then I have the sloping temples of a horse-thief.

7. Electric Dragon says:

It’s September 18 today. I get the feeling that it’s an important date for some reason but can’t quite put my finger on why….

• If you’re fishing for birthday wishes, you can forget it.

• Electric Dragon says:

(That’s sarcasm, isn’t it? I was referring to a certain game advertised in every video on here for the last fortnight.)

• Raging Bear says:

I know the one you mean. Something about bordetella, and encouraging you to share it with friends?

*nonchalantly pretending not to have preordered the actual game in question months ago…*

8. GaryX says:

Wait, you guys are based out on the Gowanus?

9. duwease says:

Hey cutie, want to play some games sometime?

Bring your smoking jacket.