Old-Time Treasure Appraise ShowVideo

Whistle A Happy Tune

As our celebration of treasure continues, resident historian Arthur M. Gameological offers his appraisal of video game valuables.

By John Teti • September 17, 2012

Our “Best Treasure Ever” Subjective Judgment Bracket is now entering its second week, but in our exploration of gaming’s many treasures, we thought it would be prudent to get an objective viewpoint as well. So we called up our friend and former litigant Arthur M. Gameological III—whom we already knew to be a connoisseur of video game voice acting—to see if he knew anybody who might be able to act as an appraiser in our game-themed take on Antiques Roadshow. To our chagrin, he volunteered himself.

When we arrived at the taping, we also found VHS tip-tape kingpin Pete Strackmeier waiting there for us with his own crew, ready to serve as emcee for a format that didn’t really need one. But he didn’t cost anything extra, so what the hell.

(Shooting location provided by Game Champ.)

1,287 Responses to “Whistle A Happy Tune”

1. Fixda Fernback says:

Well, that was fucking incredible.

2. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

I am utterly delighted.  And also… what is that?  Aroused?  Yikes, I hope not.

3. blue vodka lemonade says:

“If you know what I mean.”

Oh, I know, Arthur. I know.

4. yibanqu says:

5. Bowen Kerins says:

Awesome.  You GOTTA great show, and a great acronym!

6. Citric says:

It might just be this screen but, uh, how shall I put this, that ‘stache is a bit thicker in the middle than the edges, which can lead to a very… uh… unfortunate optical illusion.

7. caspiancomic says:

Please God tell me this video is one of a series.

8. The_Misanthrope says:

“Mr. Strackmeier’s Wardrobe provided by Today’s Man”

Mr. Teti’s Wardrode provided by Yesterday’s Game Show Host.

• Staggering Stew Bum says:

My thoughts are with the family of the clown that Strackmeier had to slaughter so his microphone could look professional.

My thoughts are with the family of the deceased Mr Drew Toal, who clearly must have been hunted to death for his mustache wax, only for it to reappear on Mr. Teti’s head.
      Hasn’t the family suffered enough, John? MUST YOU TAUNT THEM?

9. Mr. Glitch says:

Holy cats, that was terrific!

And that man grew up to be… Spiro Agnew. That’s the rest of… the story. Good day.

10. CNightwing says:

These videos never work for me (on Linux Mint Chrome) :(

11. Girard says:

In the past I wasn’t sure if Pete Strackmayer had enough ‘character’ or whatever to really distinguish him from John Teti – the similar sartorial style and same face made it hard to think of him as a distinct dude.

However, the delivery as Arthur was REALLY awesome and funny in this, and made him really come into his own. I want to hear him say “Sock it to meeeee?” some time.

12. An appearance by Mr. G. always makes my day.

It’s a shame that he didn’t warn the teacher that those whistles can obnly be used once, and there’s no turning back…

Once again, this makes me think about how much we need a Super Mario 3 port/remake that allows for backtracking and re-visiting levels.

13. ShrikeTheAvatar says:

This is absolutely marvelous – how many Pete Strackmeier videos have there been?

Sadly, we saw Pete only for brief few moments near the beginning of Gameological’s run, so I think that number is 2 (including this one). We’ve been patiently waiting for his return ever since, and finally the Gameological Stud Fiend gods (i.e. John Teti) have delivered.

• ShrikeTheAvatar says:

I had only found that one, just making sure there weren’t any I was missing.

I’ve been blown away by the design/art direction in this place so far.

• djsubversive says:

Not enough. More Strackmeier, I say! The ps3 video was great, and now I can’t help but think of the sony console as “piss-3.”

I really like the gag of “cut away from someone before they finish their lines,” though, and it seems like that’s one of Pete Strackmeier’s Hosting Tips – always leave them wanting more, even if you have to turn off the camera to do it.

• caspiancomic says:

The delivery of that line is really great as well. You almost think there isn’t going to be a joke, but then:

“Sony Playstation 3…. OR PISS THREE.”

14. doyourealize says:

Somehow I missed the first edition of Pete Strackmeier: Joystick Master (or something). Thank you for providing the link. I laughed out loud (is there a shorter way to say that?) when Strackmeier yelled to edit the tape.

15. Drew Toal says:

It’s the reincarnation of Raul Julia!

16. DjangoZ says:

Clearly I am in the minority, but I think this was awful.

I really like the reviews and most of the other articles on Gameological Society, but it seems like every video that is put up seems very amateurish and diminishes my impression of the site.

17. logicalDemoness says:

“You might as well just get a cat!”
    Now I want to see someone bring in the dead cat from Binding of Isaac.