Sawbuck Gamer

Rayman, Jungle Run

Welcome To The Jungle

Rayman: Jungle Run is the game Sonic The Hedgehog deserves.

By Derrick Sanskrit • September 28, 2012

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap ($10 or less) game.

You can do this. You’ve already outrun the fireballs and dodged the creeping spiked roots, dropped down the pit of thorns just inches ahead of the gushing fount of lava, and hopscotched across the heads of your enemies after ziplining through the raining flames, only to bash your face into another fanged tree root. You’ve done this whole thing 10 times in the past five minutes. You can no longer tell the difference between your cries of frustration and your cackling laughter. Without a moment’s hesitation, you begin your run again, instinctively dodging that first explosion and the strange chuckling emerges from within you once more. Is this madness, or is it merely Rayman?

Less than one year after Rayman Origins proved to be the best Super Mario game in years, Rayman: Jungle Run looks to do the same for Sonic The Hedgehog’s stale sprinting standards. There’s a frantic sense of immediacy to Jungle Run’s precision-platforming that will leave players wondering how the heck Sega hasn’t milked this idea to death for their blue mascot already. Just as vibrant, joyous, inventive, and challenging as Origins, this mobile offering is less of a bite-sized morsel and more of a Sunday brunch, especially if one too many mimosas causes you to see wood nymphs and hear choirs of crooning lums.

47 Responses to “Welcome To The Jungle”

1. dmikester says:

I really can’t recommend this game enough.  It’s gorgeous (especially on a new iPad), extremely fun, and surprisingly challenging if you’re going for 100% on all levels.  It’s also a new game designed from the ground up for mobile devices rather than a shoddy port, which is both refreshing and means the controls work just right.  Great, great game.

2. Steven Chambers says:

I thought this was just gonna be a Temple Runner (I think that’s what it’s called) type game with Rayman skin. Glad it’s more then that.

3. Ubisoft is on a Rayman gold-streak right now.

Rayman Origins was such a sweet palette cleanser last year with it’s infectious soundtrack and cartoon-y art style. I’m pretty pissed that Rayman Legends is Wii U only.

• WorldCivilizations says:

Rayman Origins was the closest thing to a perfect platformer I’ve played. Seems like this is just tricky treasure levels the whole way, which were of course the best part of Origins.

• I must’ve heard the Tricky Treasure Banjo theme a billion times. That f—ing ice level was far and away the hardest one. If you missed one single jump by a millisecond it was over. Damn I love that game.

• Oxperiment says:

That whole crazy business was just a prelude to night of the livid dead, which was so ridiculously difficult that it came _this_  close to spoiling my enjoyment.

But then, hours later, there was victory. And it was so sweet.

4. fieldafar says:

Ooh, reminds me… I really need to continue playing Rayman Origins.

5. indy2003 says:

I’ve been playing this one over the weekend and having a blast with it. Just unlocked the first Land of the Livid Dead level and have been unsuccessfully attempting to survive it. Easily the most delightful iPad game I’ve played to date and nearly as much fun as playing Rayman Origins on the PS3. I’m kind of amazed that it’s only $2.99.

6. lokimotive says:

This game is great, but it makes me wonder how hard I should really be pressing on my Droid screen.