Out This Week

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Ahead Of The Game

Okay, they’re finally releasing Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, but there’s no need to lose your head over it.

By Steve Heisler • October 16, 2012

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D
Nintendo 3DS—October 16

I love roller coasters, but I’m the kind of Nancy-lad who gets sick on those spinny rides, like with tea cups or, in the case of one ill-fated day, a large octopus. Repetitive motion makes me nauseous, so I vastly prefer the wide open sky and free-falling thrills of a rollered coaster. It’s the non-skydiving version of sheer terror in the safe confines of a thin and flimsy metal bar. Anyway, the point is, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D will probably make me sick, like every other 3DS title. Seriously, Nintendo: This freakin’ thing combines the nausea of looking at a Magic Eye picture with the fruitlessness of being really bad at looking at Magic Eye pictures.

Mugen Souls
PlayStation 3—October 16

I’ve watched this trailer about a dozen times, and I still have no idea what is happening. Japanese teenagers are punching planets into gravel? It’s just as my racist grandfather always feared.

Rocksmith
PC—October 16; PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—October 18

Oh my God! This game involves plugging your guitar directly in, so it’s like you’re actually playing a real guitar—USING A REAL GUITAR! Ever wonder if life is meaningless?

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
PC—October 16

“I shall hold the door for thine fair lady.” “No, I shall hold the door.” “Let’s fight.”

Aristoocrazy
Board game—mid-October
Aristoocrazy

In Aristoocrazy, you draw cards and try to make royal marriages happen. Really. But judging by the writeup on BoardGameGeek, it’s not like the real royal family:

If two characters with a close family relationship meet…there is a risk that their child will be ‘different.’ When such a child grows up, naturally you’ll need him to take care of your domain or a military campaign that you’re running—but if his wits aren’t in the right place, he won’t be of much help. (And who would want to marry such a dud in the first place?)”

Sorry, cousin Matthew!

57 Responses to “Ahead Of The Game”

1. PaganPoet says:

I can’t tell you how much time I wasted away on Roller Coaster Tycoon back in the day. Sim games are dangerous for me, since there is no actual GOAL or endgame so to speak, so it’s easy to forget how much time you’ve spent on it. Same with MMORPGs for that matter, which is one of the reasons I generally avoid them.

• The real pitfall of Roller Coaster Tycoon is spending an entire afternoon designing what you think is a wicked awesome roller coaster and then when the arbitrary ratings system rates it, it’s “too intense” and nobody will ride it or they just “meh.”

I imagine this is how Capcom felt when they released RE 6.

*rimshot*

• Mookalakai says:

When you finish a coaster and immediately do a test run, waiting for the excitement and intensity ratings was one of the tenses moments I can remember. The ratings always felt so arbitrary, but when Intensity was only “Very High” I knew I could churn out a profitable ride, and it felt good.

• GaryX says:

I still have Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (the best one) on my computer and play it whenever I have an hour to kill.

Then I accidentally kill like 4.

EDIT: If this game was on something other than the 3DS, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

• PaganPoet says:

Truth. In fact, why is there not a Vita version?

• NarcolepticPanda says:

BECAUSE VITA HAS NO GAMES!!!

God, I really really really want a Vita, but I feel like I should wait until next year to see if people start buying it. That was my way of coping.

• PaganPoet says:

@NarcolepticPanda:disqus True, the library is pretty sparse right now. It’s got a few really cool exclusives: Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Lumines Electric Symphony, Super Stardust Delta and it’s actually a really nice way to play PSN games, particularly PSOne and PSP titles.

I won’t lie, though, I basically bought mine for Persona 4: Golden out later this year. If that game wasn’t coming out as a PSVita exclusive, I’m not sure I would have bought one.

• NarcolepticPanda says:

Also, MGS collection, which has cross-saves with the PS3 MGS collection. I’m THIS close to asking for one for Christmas (haha, to be young); but again, what if it turns like the PSP and gets ignored by Western developers…

As well as MGS, I’m a big slobbering Uncharted fanatic, and Gravity Rush looks cool. Lumines…ehhh. Tried it on PSP pre-owned from Gamestop, it’s not my fave. And the PS3 demo for Super Stardust kinda annoyed me.

Haven’t got Persona 3 Portable yet, as I forgot to pick up a PSN card when getting DX:HR and haven’t gotten magic combo of money+transport since, but I’m pretty sure I’ll love it (checked out gameplay videos; can’t explain why I think I’ll dig it, but it really does look awesome), and feel sad I don’t have a Vita when Persona 4 comes out.

• Mookalakai says:

Roller Coaster Tycoon was my god damn childhood. I had every game and expansion up until Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, which kind of sucked. My favorite part was the smug sense of superiority I got over people who used the default rollercoaster designs, rather than building their own coasters. As far as the endgame, there eventually came a point where I ran out of space in my park to build anything more, and that’s when I would be forced to stop.

• Fluka says:

I had a Proustian moment just now, where I wondered “Dang, did I play Roller Coaster Tycoon when I was a kid?” and then googled it and “OH YES I DID” and my lonely middleschool years all came flooding back to me.

And indeed, why would you ever use a default model?  My two memories from that game were A) Building craazy coasters which looped everywhere B) Cleaning up the resulting infinite amounts of vomit.

• His_Space_Holiness says:

I was one of those crazy people who used the default models, because for whatever reason I’ve never enjoyed design games. I just find it boring. Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Incredible Machine, whatever — I never cared enough to build my own thing and played the preset scenarios instead. I guess I’m just more into puzzle-solving than contraption-designing.

• PaganPoet says:

You had to have quite a cache of money to build your own roller coasters/racetracks/whatever else, it’s pretty easy to get out of control.

• Mookalakai says:

@His_Space_Holiness:disqus I could see how someone could still play the game as essentially a puzzle game, “what do I have to make this park successful/profitable/OSHA Certifiable?” I just can’t imagine not designing my coasters, that was the meat of the game to me.

Oh man, I played sooooo much RCT as a kid, and I played a lot of the sequel as well. I haven’t got much mileage out of RCT3 so far, but it’s on my hard drive just begging to be played.

When I started out, I was hopeless at building my own coasters, but I’ve since gotten better. Once you learn the “rules” – make changes in direction as smooth as possible, don’t use too many inversions, etc. – then it’s not so hard.

• blue vodka lemonade says:

I don’t think I ever designed a successful ride, though I also had all games up to (and possibly including?) 3. We also played them in grade-school computer lab for some reason, though we had to write up little reports each day about what we learned from playing.

Mine were almost always some variation on “I learned that without bathrooms, people will not like your park very much.” I think I got a check-minus in that class.

I can’t remember if I spent more time on Roller Coaster Tycoon or Theme Park.  Whichever one allowed you to create unfinished coasters and/or ones with such sharp turns that they threw people off every time – that was the one I played.

When I wasn’t plotting my customers’ demise(s), I too got frustrated when I ran out of space to expand and stopped playing.

Someone should create a theme park management game with available land the size of a Sim City map.  15 mile long roller coasters!

• GaryX says:

That must have been Theme Park. The RC maps could get fairly large.

• blue vodka lemonade says:

Roller Coaster Tycoon definitely let you kill people with your rides, because every ride I designed killed people, usually because some part of the track didn’t actually match up.

2. Ack_Ack says:

Rocksmith has been out for a year now, hasn’t it?  I’m pretty sure that it’s coming out in Australia now though, so, hooray Australia.  I’ve considered picking it up, but it would probably get as much use as the Rock Band keyboard I got to teach me how to play Bohemian Rhapsody (close to none).

• yerfatma says:

Yeah, kind of confusing: it’s just come out for the PC, but I’ve had it for X-Box for some time. And the damn guitar just sits there, silently chiding me.

• Music games are silly, but they brought me lots of joy. I will always be grateful to Rock Band, though, for giving me the confidence to sing in public.

3. Enkidum says:

First of all, your racist grandfather was right. As I’ve said here and on the AVC several times, I lived in Japan for 3 years, and I can assure you that I have seen Japanese teenagers punching planets into gravel with my own eyes multiple times. Why do you think Pluto got downgraded, huh? COME ON SHEEPLE!

Seriously, I’m pretty sure that trailer is what happens when you give large amounts of acid to six year olds who have been raised on too many crappy cartoons aimed at girls. What the hell?

Also, I like how everything in Chivalry just cleanly removes heads, including a single blow from a mace, which seems to have caused the head to just disintegrate, or a sword swing that doesn’t even end up on the other side of the person’s body. But whatever, it looks kind of fun.

I would like a game which actually accurately portrays how fucking nasty fighting is. Basically, a single well aimed punch is devastating to anyone, even heavyweight champions, and a single hit from a sword is likely to kill you or, if you’re lucky, just maim you. Either way, it’s not conducive to standard video game tropes like a health bar. Chivalry looks like it actually pays attention to that for the NPCs, which I liked – everyone’s basically getting taken down by single strokes. But I’m willing to bet that that isn’t true for OUR HERO.

I’m curious as to whether there’s ever been a combat game where basically the only way to win is to almost never get hit. It would be difficult to make it fun, I guess is the real problem. But if we’re going for realism a a la Chivalry, it would be cool to try.

I always wanted a Star Wars lightsaber duel game like this.  Miss a block or dodge, lose a limb.  But they always have health bars and questionable “tactics”.

• Bad Horse says:

so, what you want is Bushido Blade.

Does that have lightsabers?  No?  Then no, that’s not what I want!  Pay attention next time!

But actually, that does sound cool.  Wonder how I missed it?  Oh, it came out before I owned a PSOne.

• yerfatma says:

I think my wife and I used that as couples therapy when we first moved in together. And it worked!

Anyone remember Die by the sword?
      That had the mechanics and the potential… swooshing that sword around with the mouse and hacking at people, not their blade (swords break, yo). It had all the potential but nobody liked it. Shame. I remember playing it quite gleefully and enjoying all that dismembering.

• MoonlessNova says:

I cannay like this more. Die by the Sword was hilarious. Sword broken? Pick up a limb from a troll and use that! Limb broken? Pick up an arm holding an axe and have extra reach!

• George_Liquor says:

To be fair, nothing in real life is analogous to a health bar.

4. Mercenary_Security_number_4 says:

Roller Coaster Tycoon games are cool, but I think the series peaked with 2.  And a handheld console isn’t really designed to handle the overarching park planning that the game is really about, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this new edition is little more than a ride simulator.

By the way, that video is for the years old PC game, not the 3DS game.  You should probably mention that, otherwise people are going to think you just lazily embedded the first result of your youtube search.

5. His_Space_Holiness says:

Finally, the royal inbreeding game that history geeks have been craving for years! If you can’t produce the Hapsburg lip in a dozen turns, you’re not really trying.

We’ve had that for a while actually. It’s called Crusader Kings and Crusader Kings II.

• belgand says:

I had my two sisters, first husband, a newborn infant, and the king of France murdered, but dammit, my son will now inherit that throne! Idiot that he is.