Sawbuck Gamer

Erie

Earie

The horror mood piece Erie captures the sound of fright

By Steve Heisler • October 30, 2012

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap ($10 or less) game.

The first moment of Erie finds you submerged in a sewer, dank and drenched. It’s dark. You can barely see what’s in front of you. But off in the distance, a baby cries. Well, not just cries: wails. With just that noise, overpowering the rest of the scenery, the mood is set. Erie is full of scary sounds of all stripes: the blaring screech of an alarm, the creaking of a door slowly opening, the growl of a mutated beast as it hunts for prey. There’s an ambient whirring sound, too, likely the power coursing through the abandoned hospital/test facility you mysteriously stumble upon. As you venture forward, collecting clues to the accident that caused all the destruction, the mood can change suddenly as you round a corner, or slowly as you venture down a clouded hallway.

The mood of Erie is focused entirely in the moment, caring little for reflection on past mistakes. If one of those mutated beasts catches up with you, it silently gnaws at your corpse as the scene fades to black, shooting you back to the last checkpoint. The horror has arrived, but there’s no sense in scaring unnecessarily. There’s plenty more to come.

146 Responses to “Earie”

1. GaryX says:

So you guys survive that storm alright? I know areas around the Gowanus Canal supposedly got it bad.

2. Aaron Riccio says:

West of Gowanus (toward Manhattan) did get hit hard, but east (my neighborhood) seems to be fine and up-and-running, with just a few pixels in the cable box.

Let’s just say, I was playing Dota 2 through the worst of it with nary a hitch.

3. Aaron Riccio says:

Let’s just say, I was playing Dota 2 through the worst of it with nary a hitch.

4. rvb1023 says:

Finally starting to see a few LP’s (The few I watch) of this and I like the idea of being constantly on the run, though I figure the spray paint will make for some amusing “art”.

5. blue vodka lemonade says:

I tried this out probably a week-and-a-half ago. The spraypaint mechanic is great, and something I’ve always wanted to see in an exploration game (in games with mazes or maze-like areas, I’m always frustrated that I can’t make my character mark pathways,) but the uneven quality of various sound effects made some areas a bit more irritating than scary. And, when I finally encountered a monster, it got stuck partway in a wall and I couldn’t walk past it. There are a lot of cool things going on, but the execution left something to be desired.

6. robthom says:

Thanks for the heads up.
    Looks interesting.