Sawbuck Gamer

Super Monsters Ate My Condo

Hail, Seizure!

Super Monsters Ate My Condo is only too happy to melt your brain.

By Jason Reich • October 24, 2012

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap ($10 or less) game.

Adult Swim has cultivated a reputation for a certain inscrutability. When it comes to their style of late-night stoner comedy, you either get it or you don’t, and you get the sense the creators could give a shit which way you fall. This vibe carries over to Adult Swim’s games catalog, which boasts an archive of games that are both immensely polished and aggressively off-putting.

I’ll admit that I pretty much had no idea what was happening the entire time I played Super Monsters Ate My Condo. The psychedelic game presents you with a precarious tower of apartment blocks and asks you to sort them by color by swiping residential units out of the stack. That much I got. Once the power-ups and special blocks began appearing, I quit trying to make sense of it and just let the weirdness wash over me. The game itself is so chaotic that trying to develop a particular strategy seems beside the point; my scores would ping-pong between a few thousand points and several hundred million points, with no real understanding of what precisely made one attempt more successful than another. That doesn’t mean it isn’t fun, though. I certainly enjoyed having my brain melted by Super Monsters Ate My Condo, and I walked away from it satisfied that I had experienced…well, that I had experienced something, anyway.

118 Responses to “Hail, Seizure!”

1. agentlemanboxer says:

What about Adult Swim’s lineup is “Stoner” comedy? Are there alot of injokes about the distinctions between Sativa and Indica? Is there a trenchant satire of the marijuana growing industry and how it’s the last, true non-agrodustrial farming business?

Or do you just not find it funny so you assume the people who do must smoke pot?

• Jason Reich says:

I’m a huge fan of Adult Swim, and have absolutely nothing bad to say about their programming or the use of controlled substances to facilitate one’s enjoyment thereof.

• agentlemanboxer says:

Quit all that broad brush nonsense then. My grandma thinks ATHF is hilarious and the last time she smoked pot it was during the Lincoln/Douglas debates(one toke every time Douglas criticizes Lincoln’s short-sighted foreign policy)

• I think the term “Stoner Comedy” is applied to Adult Swim’s brand of comedy because a) it’s catchier than “outsider comedy” which is more descriptive of the style’s atypical disregard for plot, animation and love of absurdity and b) if you listen to the DVD commentaries for shows like Space Ghost Coast to Coast, ATHF, Brak Show, etc, you will find that the creators are in no way shy about how much they  love to smoke marijuana.

Also, why do you think they play so much instrumental hip-hop in the title cards?

• agentlemanboxer says:

I mean, to be fair, those are all the flagship shows that, I believe except for ATHF, are way, way off the air. I think Outsider art is much more applicable to stuff like Heart, She Holler and Wonder Showzen.

• Chum Joely says:

As far as this game, a significant number of the reviews at the iApp iStore say things like, “THE best gmae when stonde!!!!”   So there’s that.  I just downloaded it, so I’ll report back later as to whether it really is the best gmae when stonde.

• Chum Joely says:

This game is indeed awesome and seizure-inducing, to judge from the first couple of levels.  I believe I can also confirm a certain added value for marijuana users as well.

One thing that it doesn’t have– which I somehow assumed to be a standard thing, from the 3 or so mobile games I’ve played before (my wife doesn’t like games and I only got my first smartphone yesterday)– is the ability to jump back to any level you’ve already unlocked. Unless there’s something I’m missing because I’m so very early in the game, it seems that you have to reset the entire game to zero in order to play any level than the one you’re currently at.  I don’t see that there’s an obvious game-design reason for this, so I’m not so happy about that.

2. Aurora Boreanaz says:

Is that a pug with an extra brain attached?  I would SO try this out just for that, if I had an iThing.

Ridiculous pugs are my sometimes favorite thing!  My wife and I have decided that if we ever get a pug, he shall be named Mr. Frumples von Wrinklebottom IV.