Sawbuck Gamer

The Visit

A Walk In The Crabs

The Visit uses your gaming knowledge against you.

By Cory Casciato • November 7, 2012

A lifetime of playing games sets up certain expectations. Walk left to right. Jump on this, avoid that, win the girl at the end. Then along comes The Visit and all those years of experience are used against you. The central conceit of The Visit is familiar: You navigate a landscape full of critters to reach your girlfriend at the end. In practice, everything you know is wrong. To delve into specifics would ruin the experience—for that matter, you’ll want to avoid the comments for maximum fun of discovery—because this is a game where getting there is half the fun, and figuring out what the hell you’re actually supposed to be doing is the other half.

There are six possible outcomes, and it’s worth spending the time to figure out all six. Each requires only a few minutes to play through, although it may take more than one attempt to complete a few of them, or even to figure out what you can do. Its whimsical visuals and off-the-wall sensibilities make for an experimental game in the best sense of the word.

148 Responses to “A Walk In The Crabs”

1. boardgameguy says:

a million dead goombas rejoice at this game

2. WorldCivilizations says:

Correction: FIRST, walk right to left. Get the power up. Then proceed left to right.

3. Merve says:

“Whoa, you are a sad person. You deserve jail!”

I love the expressions on the other crabs’ faces when you kill one of them. The pure horror in their eyes is fantastic.

I have gotten 5 of the 6 endings. I assume the sixth involves breaking out of jail, which I haven’t yet figured out how to do.

• Chum Joely says:

Cool, I finally figured out the sixth one too.  Well.  That was a fun waste of 20 minutes (I spent a long time figuring out that last ending.)

Cute concept. I guess it’s about as good as that game where you’re stuck on the island for day after day and start discovering hidden doors etc. after a few days.

• Aaron Riccio says:

I remember that one. It made about as much sense as late-season Lost. Did he ever finish it? I haven’t visited Kongregate in a looooooong time.

• Fixda Fernback says:

Haha out of curiosity I just checked, “The Ocean Around Me–Week 3” is still at 95%. Which is what I’m pretty sure it was at back in like, April when I first discovered the games.

4. Binsbein says:

Can we get a Newgrounds rating system here on the Game Boy Society so I CAN BLAM THIS POS ARTICLE? Just kidding, Cory. I’ll give it a 3.

5. Girard says:

Marius Fietzek! He’s the guy that did those funny Monkey Island Flash videos, that graphic adventure resumé for Double Fine, and (consequently),  is now doing mock-up animation for Double-Fine Adventure. He seems like a cool German dude.

6. EmperorNortonI says:

I am an incompetent fool.  I cannot avoid killing a crab.  Sitting around in prison for the 6th time was too much for me.

7. Aaron Riccio says:

I don’t know that it’s worth spending the time to figure out all six — especially since once you’ve visited jail once, you’ve sort of understood the point of the game. The initial surprise is maybe worth a single playthrough, but I don’t consider this to be a game so much as an interactive morality play. If I’m going to do something repetitious and self-deprecating, I’d rather play something that’s meta, too, like “This Is This Only Level” or “Achievement Unlocked.”