Out This Week

Nazi Zombie

Japanese Zombie Space Race

From cute animals to fast cars to Nazi zombies, this week’s releases have a little something for everyone.

By Drew Toal • February 26, 2013

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

Etrian Odyssey IV
Nintendo 3DS—February 26

The Japanese trailer for this game shows what is clearly Yggdrasil—the “world tree” at the center of Norse mythology. But instead of Odin, the mighty Thor, and ever-vigilant Heimdall, the game is peopled with baboons, butterflies, and little manga dudes. I like revisionist mythology as much as the next person, but I suspect the All-Father is going to be none too pleased with this interpretation of Midgard.

Real Racing 3
iPhone/iPad (Universal)—February 28

John Teti’s PlayStation 4 unveiling recap gave the producers of the forthcoming DriveClub a gentle ribbing for having “locked down” the apparently coveted name a decade ago. What he plainly doesn’t appreciate for all his tongue-in-cheek silliness, though, is that successfully naming a car game is a balls-out race to the bottom. Time spent coming up with a catchy title is time spent away from the virtual garage. It boils down to this: When you’re flying down the highway at 65 miles per hour in your Wayfarers and blasting Don Henley, you ain’t got time to be creative.

Bit.Trip Presents: Runner2: Future Legend Of Rhythm Alien
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC—February 26

I’m excited to play this game. Let me tell you why. Rhythm Alien seems like the kind of fleet-footed, down-to-earth extraterrestrial I could party with. It’s like, he’s just a guy from some highly evolved parkour planet, flipping through the air and doing his thing. I like his style—especially the part that doesn’t require him to kill all humans. The other aliens I’ve been encountering lately? Not so much.

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army
PC—February 28

Woah there zombie Hitler.

48 Responses to “Japanese Zombie Space Race”

1. Anybody else have a love/hate relationship with the bit.trip series that leans more to the hate?  I liked the artstyle of the first game but found it’s gameplay to be basically rote memorization and single button presses.  Then they released a bunch of other games in the series that are about as seriously developed as your average flash game.

I guess, I really lean towards hate, but I do thank them for introducing me to Anamanaguchi.

• Citric says:

Bit.Trip Runner is a [insert favorite angry negative expletive here.]

Mostly just because I can’t get past level 11.

• beema says:

Shit, i couldn’t get past level 2. I mean, I’m sure I could if I tried long enough, but what the hell is the point? I thought to myself “Hours of frustration for… wait there’s no payoff? Nuts to this!”

It came as part of some indie bundle dealy so I don’t care. I think the only reason I even installed it was for a Steam sale achievement of some sort.

Really, what is the appeal of these types of games? Something to kill time if you’re on the subway?

• Bad Horse says:

My rhythm section musician bone was very gratified by Runner, at least once I locked into the groove. It’s exactly like playing bass – you subdivide it and you figure out how to keep your groove right on the one, and then you nail it, and it feels awesome.

Until motherfucking level 11, that is. If that shit was a bass solo it’d be at least Gary Graham. I felt like a chump.

• Core is still my favorite of the bunch, but that was also the one that felt the most like a pure rhythm game.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

was that the one where you where the square in the middle of the screen and you shot up down left and right? I think I liked that one the most too. Runner was kind of cool, but meh. It reminded me of Maestro: Jump into Music for the DS, but it was less rhythm-y and less fun. And also less clever. The music is good though.

• Agreed on all counts. Maestro was a very pleasant surprise. The only thing keeping me away from the 3DS Bit.Trip Saga collection is the fact that you can’t physically rotate the controls without also rotating the screen, making the “challenge” mode in Core absolutely unplayable. I’m sure I’m not the only person who just turned the wiimote 90° like a flight stick to get through those parts.

2. Maybe you need to grow a pair and bliss out on an endless runner, bro
    johnny boy

3. Cloks says:

Etrian Odyssey is a fun game if you hate yourself.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I started playing the first recently. I sure have been dying a lot. At least my map of the first level is almost done though. It’s such a neat little gameplay element, I wish the rest of the game was more fun and less grindy.

• Cloks says:

I think the third is generally considered to be a good starting point for new players as it’s a little easier at the beginning. I made it through about five levels before I decided that it wasn’t really a good game for me.

• AHyperkineticLagomorph says:

I’m rather enjoying EOIV, and have a huge problem with self-confidence and a general lack of enthusiasm for the whole existing thing (though I’m quite good at existing. I haven’t stopped once since I started.)

I think you may be on to something.

4. Cloks says:

I really want to like them but they’re boring games. One of my friends on Steam absolutely loathes them because of bit.trip.pong’s inclusion in the Potato Sack which deterred him from getting his zillionth potato because it was just too artificially hard.

5. Citric says:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is apparently on PSN today! So if you want a game that hops merrily between being cool and inventive and being really tedious, there you go.

Totally have a love/hate relationship with Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

• Pandas_please says:

Are the really, really tedious parts all near the end, because I have no qualms about not finishing a game.

• Citric says:

Not really, they’re kind of mixed in. I’m not as familiar with EP as IS, but they do use the same systems, and with IS it kind of alternates between awesome and goddammit just let this area end.

I hope EP doesn’t have any areas as terrible as the (admittedly optional) sneak past the steampunk Nazis forest. Never take that path in IS. Ever.

• Pandas_please says:

Steampunk Nazi forest, I know those words but…

• Citric says:

Well, there’s this forest, filled with steampunk nazis, and you have to get past them. One option is by taking them on head on. The other option is the world’s most tedious forest maze.

• PaganPoet says:

Critic, did you play the first Persona?

I played through the PSP remake of it, and it was definitely a slog. I feel like it’s the sort of game I would have loved when it first came out, but playing it now feels a bit like a chore.

• Citric says:

@PaganPoet:disqus  Nope, but that’s because it’s got old school first-person mazes. I haaaaaaaaaate old school first person mazes.

• PaganPoet says:

That’s okay, you’re not missing out on much. The story is good, but not anywhere near the caliber of P3, 4 or even 2: IS. And yes, the first person mazes are pretty crap.

I need to finish IS and try out EP now that it’s finally out.

6. Captain Internet says:

Zombie Nazis are a definite step backwards from the Magic Nazis that were in Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Pretty soon we’ll be back at Regular Nazis, and then all bets are off. It’s modern society. People are just so lazy these days. They wouldn’t have stood for it in my day.

Say what you like about Hitler, but at least he could innovate when it came to Nazis.

• Steve McCoy says:

Untapped Nazi potential: Mummy Nazis, Invisible Nazis, Giant Nazis, Leprechaun Nazis, Cyberpunk Nazis, Furry Nazis, Fraternity Nazis, Anti-Nazi Nazis…

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

The problem with Furry Nazis is that they all fight over who gets the eagle and wolf costumes. No one ever wants to be the lion, the rooster or the bear.

The Furry Nazi batallion has a lot of German Shepherds with worried looks in their eyes.

• George_Liquor says:

Perhaps even a group of Nazis who live in a particular Midwestern state and are known to antagonize a specific fraternal blues duo.

• There are actually furry Nazis, although they supposedly “just like the uniforms” and often have their avatars wear them – and their mostly dobermans because they aren’t that creative.

My cartoon research takes me to some dark, dark places.

• Cornell_University says:

NAZI SHARK!

• lokimotive says:

Imbunche Nazis. Eliciting both horror, and a bit of sympathy.

Well, if we continue backwards, we’re left with only a bunch of poor, dissatisfied Germans unorganized and reeling in the wake of the First World War.
         Which may be bad from a game design standpoint, but I’m certain we can all agree historically it’s preferable to either the magic, zombie or regular Nazi alternatives.

7. Aurora Boreanaz says:

Nazis are so 1992.  Where’s my Sniper Elite: The NRA Says Vidjagames Cause School Shootings So Give Everyone Real Guns Instead?

Fallen in the Boxer Rebellion.

There should be a Boxer Rebellion game where you’re a member of the Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists and you just kick tons of British, Russian, Japanese, French, American, German, etc. etc. ass until eventually you lose.

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

You have become addicted to opium: GAME OVER.

• George_Liquor says:

You just hit up Wikipedia for “Boxer Rebellion” too, huh?

@George_Liquor:disqus Nope. It’s one of my favorite historical events, particularly for the title (but also for the sheer audacity of Britain to basically fight to be allowed to keep addicting the Chinese to opium). It’s right up there with the Second Defenestration of Prague.

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

@George_Liquor:disqus You didn’t do that in school? Opium Wars and all that.

If you want to read up on some more fucked up Chinese 1800s history, look no further than this article.

• EmperorNortonI says:

Seriously, how has there never been a game that uses a title that awesome – The Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists?  It’s just screaming to be used in some sort of brawler or kung-fu RPG.

• George_Liquor says:

@NakedManHoldingAFudgesicle:disqus I dunno; maybe. I’ve been spotless mind-ing my brain with booze ever since graduation.

Sounds like a palpable mod for Jade Empire.

• We need a game in which the primary antagonists are a rogue terrorist chapter of the NRA.

8. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Wôden is too busy showing off his Dolly Kei style on the streets of Akihabara to worry about how a game presents Yggdrasil.   He just got a Pokèball eye patch.

That sentence just made me puke all over my Dovahkiin-controlling keyboard.
      Well played.

Eff, I’ve been trying to get you to puke since I started commenting here. I guess now I need a new life goal…

9. beema says:

Just came upon this: Life as an NPC subreddit http://www.reddit.com/r/LifeasanNPC/

10. valondar says:

Also out this week is The Banner Saga: Factions, the free multiplayer equivalent of The Banner Saga, a game whose paid-for single player campaign is still in development.

With its turn based combat and the ability to name your units, well… it’s like some kind of RPG chess. Fun as hell so far.

11. ferrarimanf355 says:

Eh. There’s more DLC for Need for Speed Most Wanted. I’m getting that instead.