Feature

Miami Vice, sort of

The Art Of Syrian Games

A graphical treasury of WTF.

By John Teti • February 6, 2013

In his exploration of the hacked PlayStation games on sale at a Nairobi shopping center, Joe Keiser characterized pirate-game publisher Syrian Games as “video game cover artists of great vision and poise.” That only begins to describe the treasures that have emerged from the Syrian Games Photoshop lab. (If you haven’t read Joe’s report yet, you should start there and then come back for more amazement. It’s worth it, trust me.)

The library of game covers in the company’s online back catalog is a nearly bottomless well of delight. The Syrian Games image-manipulation maestro seems to have hit his or her peak during the heyday of the PlayStation and PlayStation 2. The covers for those systems’ pirated games—which number in the thousands—demonstrate a well-considered lunacy, a dadaist disregard for the conventions of the source material. (The covers for most of the company’s Xbox and Wii ripoffs, on the other hand, simply steal the art from the original game, part and parcel. How trite!)

We know little about Syrian Games. The description on their “About Us” page is a single word. Their contact page lists their location as Damascus—the capital city, currently in paralysis and acting as president Bashar Assad’s stronghold in the Syrian civil war. Given the all-consuming viciousness of the war, it’s hard to imagine that Syrian Games is a going concern right now. But we genuinely hope that the people responsible for these bizarre images are doing okay, because their work is hilarious.

Although the aesthetic varies wildly, you can discern fragments of an artistic style running through the covers. There’s a fondness for rainbows, for instance, and a strong predilection for tropical backdrops with sunny blue skies (even when the title explicitly calls for darkness). But other touches are perplexingly isolated. On the Hitman cover, why does Agent 47 have a heart tattoo? Why is Snoopy a panda in one version of Snoopy: The Red Baron’s cover—and why make two versions? Since when is Jim Carrey’s character from The Mask a superhero?

We’ve selected a few of our favorite covers for the gallery you see below. We could have included hundreds more. The images are presented without further comment because honestly, what can you say?

007: From Russia With Love
Free Running
freerunning
Ghost Rider
ghost_rider
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
goldeneye_rogueagent_1
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (alternate)
goldeneye_rogueagent_alt
RoboCop
robocop
The Sims 2: Castaway
sims2_castaway
Snoopy: The Red Baron
snoopy_and_the_red_baron_real
Snoopy: The Red Baron (alternate)
snoopy_and_the_red_baron_alt
Trigger Man (alternate)
triggerman_alt
WWII Soldier
wwii_soldier
Zero Pilot
zeropilot

109 Responses to “The Art Of Syrian Games”

1. PaganPoet says:

You have to love RoboCop’s rainbow-making jetpack. Where can I get one of those?

And how menacing is that “About Us” page? “soon.” Soon? Soon what?! OH GOD TELL ME!!!

2. Drew Toal says:

After Tony Stark went broke, he was forced to turn to NASCAR-style advertising. Sad.

3. Cloks says:

I like to believe that what they’re representing here aren’t products per say but the direction they believe the video games industry will take as a whole. Every game becomes a rehash of existing properties to tie into established markets? Check. Games are only made for systems with a significant installed user-base regardless of console age? Check. The concept of “video game” becomes a floating, mystical squid that deigns to delight us with psychotropic tentacles delivering a vision of “video game” beyond what those of us on the Mortal Plane could experience? Check. Alternate box-art for games depending on venue it was released at? Check.

• I would support a video game industry that gives me a different Grand Theft Auto game for every obscure Saudi Arabian musician.

• Tarek Jarkas says:

i doubt there where lots of deep meanings to the covers
      i remember living in syria as a kid and seeing those games in the stores
      i never met the programmer who hacked the games, but i can assure you he has a very very good imagination
      besides there in syria people have no idea about the video game industry and there copyrights, any game in syria is a pirated version and costs about half a dollar

4. vinnybushes says:

I think the Hitman games would have been a lot more interesting if you could only wear long sleeves or risk being identified by your adorable tattoo. Try assassinating someone in Rio now.

5. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Where to even begin?  Each one of these is just spilling over with visual information, they could, every one, be a thesis topic.
       Borges wrote the most insidious labyrinth could be a single straight line, but Borges went blind and died before he could see the cover of “Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Super Heroes”.  You get lost in that and you’re never getting out.
       Of all of them, though there is an almost zen beauty in the “Zero Pilot” cover.  No rainbows, no nonsensical pop-culture appropriations, no hasty Photoshopping.  Just a photo of a plane.  With zero pilot in sight.

• Drew Toal says:

Topical!

• Drew Toal says:

Also, speaking of zero pilots, I used to play this game Wings of Fury that was pretty excellent. I’m gonna go see if I can find it on the old Internet.

• Wings of Fury was awesome. You could bomb the hell out of those little island houses then strafe the guys that came running out, and I always loved torpedoing ships. Dogfights usually sucked though, but I figured out how to cheat by climbing up as high as possible, then diving back down to just above the tree line, and the other planes would always come down in front of me. Suckers!

6. Citric says:

If the upcoming Robocop doesn’t involve him farting rainbows, I will be very disappointed.

I also appreciate the Star Trek cover designed seemingly to anger Star Trek AND Star Wars fans.

Well goodness knows angering either is about as difficult as bullseye-ing a Tribble with your T-16.

• Fluka says:

But seriously folks, what’s up with pirated Robocop and rainbows?  Both the Kenyans and the Syrians seem to be in on this…  Is the rainbow a PS2 thing?  Did the Syrian guy pirate the Kenyan guy, or vice versa?  Is this some kind of Jungian archetype?  I have so many questions!

• Mike Ferraro says:

What you’ve never googled Robocop Unicorn?  http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kotax3rlj41qzkyyko1_500.jpg

• Mistah Chrysoprase says:

I’m noticing most of these follow the same louder-is-better approach to packaging. Presumably the inestimable mechanoid policeman’s signature monochrome look just wasn’t eyeball-searing enough even with the brightness blown out, so in came the rainbows and magic castles.
        That or, it’s a reskin of an old Barbie game.
        I REALLY hope it’s the second one.

• Electric Dragon says:

Somebody should send a copy to JJ Abrams.

7. Citric says:

While these selections are a bounty of joy, do NOT forget to go to the site itself, which features cover art for Alundra 2, that has Captain America on it. And only Captain America on it.

8. George_Liquor says:

Honestly, the art for uhh… “Bust-A-Groove” is still better than the bloody bubble-blowing baby on the cover of Super Bust-A-Move.

9. vinnybushes says:

Is Coolmen Pepsi in direct competition with Dr. Pepper 10? My testosterone fueled psyche is so confused now.

10. Citric says:

Oh god, Apocalypse is Bruce Willis’ head crudely photoshopped into some anime.

11. Merve says:

You have no idea how sad I am that Carmen Sandiego: The Secret Of The Stolen Drums is not a real game.

12. PugsMalone says:

This won’t mean much to the non-anime fans here, but their cover for Persona 2 uses fan art of the characters as the cast from K-ON!

EDIT: Oh God, look at “Incredible Crisis”.

• Mistah Chrysoprase says:

See, now, I would buy the shit out of a legit FF7 tactics game. This is where Squeenix is at now I guess, outshone by their own pirates.

I recall the very first one had a few cameos from FF7 characters, but, yeah, that’s the only bone they’ve thrown in that regard.

I imagine a Namco X Capcom-style tactics game mashing together all-stars from the whole series would do SUPER well (they could even include characters from other Square and Enix franchises).

But I guess Square is happy to simply manifest that idea in exploitative mobile games.

• Mistah Chrysoprase says:

Well that looks appalling; still I like your idea, they did something like it with Theatrythm so who knows, maybe one day.

• PaganPoet says:

Heh, not to mention that that’s the cast from Persona 4, not Persona 2…and it’s only the female cast members…and two Yukikos….

13. Destroy Him My Robots says:

*looks at Ico*

Whoa! That’s nearly as bad as the US boxart.

14. fieldafar says:

I really like how they still gave random ESRB ratings.

Rated “طبيعتها” for Children 3-7, Russell Crowe with an action-figure head and Batman!

15. caspiancomic says:

guys what am i even looking at i cant

16. CNightwing says:

Apparently Tony Hawk’s Underground is the nickname for his sweatshop fuelled by child labour.

17. Mercenary_Security_number_4 says:

I’ve always wanted to see Mask team up with Super-M-Tan.

18. STOP_RIGHT_THERE_CRIMINAL_SCUM says:

MY SIDES

19. I’m pretty sure that isn’t the real Keiko Yukawa.

20. Is anyone else here from Philadelphia? Because to me, the Syrian Games “S” logo immediately reads as the SEPTA logo (the South Eastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority): http://www.septa.org/

Although I realize it’s unrealistic that they pirated that, too.

21. stakkalee says:

All of these leave me absolutely giddy – I can’t stop giggling.  Sara Michelle Gellar’s poorly Photoshopped head, the secret agent who went rogue and became a luchador, the Empire invading the Federation, it’s all so wonderful.  I especially love the GTA clones with the local celebrities – Goran Inzibat and Hussein Al Jasmi are both musicians, but the El Lemby 8 Giga one is apparently based on the movie of the same name starring Mohammed Saad, Egypt’s answer to Kevin James. This is the only plot synopsis I could find for El Lemby 8 Giga, but I’m not sure how you shoehorn that in to GTA; SyrianGames.com is, lamentably, silent on the subject.

@JohnTeti:disqus, I seriously hope we’re going to see a couple of reviews of some of these from @JoeKeiser:disqus.

• djsubversive says:

“the secret agent who went rogue and became a luchador”

Both of those guys are from Saints Row the Third. Like, straight-up ripped off from SRTT. They DID change the color of Killbane’s clothes, though – he usually wears green.

Not that I should have been surprised by that, after all the other “hey, isn’t that…?” covers here.

22. Cloks says:

Video Game: Is it Stage Play

Act 1

On stage is darkness, but soon light to see the play with. Man is standing in center of the stage and behind him nothing but darkness, unrelenting void. Projected onto screen now, it is image of Mario.

Man: Video game, video game. What is video game?!

From ceiling of theater it is rain down, hundreds of video game. All kind, from hit like Alone in the Dark to Zero Pilot.

Man: And it is video game. I am to play it.

Man pick up in his hand, yes it is video game. Screen behind him show what is playing, is platformer. Hop and jump action is happen.

Man: I am video game. I am video game. I am best at video game.

From offstage enter other man, wearing fedora.

Fedora: I am video game criticisms. You are not best at video game.

Man: I am best at video game.

Fedora: No you are not. Pay dollar to be best. Seven points out of ten.

Screen switches to the words “OBJECTIVE RATINGS”. It is then picture of sobbing Statue of Liberty.

Curtain is closed.

Act 2

Screen is show word “CONTINUE?”. Underneath appear countdown with numbers from 10 to 1 descending.

Man: Continue.

On screen now is FPS. Man get really rooty tooty point and shooty. Heads are roll. From offstage enter other man, now wearing ten gallon hat.

Ten Gallon: Am violence in games.

Man: I am not shape by anger.

Ten Gallon: Am too.

Man socks ten gallon in jaw. He fall over, crumple like potato sack

Man: I am best at video game.

Curtain is closed.

Act 3

Screen is show word “INDIE GAMES…?”

Man: Conceptually lacking, aesthetically displeasing.

Screen switch to indie game. Man play as retro styled character. Anachronism. Other man enter, now again wearing fedora.

Fedora: Am genius. Video game am make better at life. 11 out of 10.

Both men shed a single tear and embrace. Curtain falls, audience is rapturous applause.

Both Men: The end?

23. Aurora Boreanaz says:

Two of my favorites are right next to each other:

Masters of the Universe: He-Man, starring Geralt from The Witcher 2!

Men In Black: Men In Pinstripes With Tommy Guns!

24. So somebody here is gonna order some of these 1.00 games and report back to us right? RIGHT!?!?

I need to know if He-Man with Geralt from Witcher 2 is as awesome as the box art promises.

Also, why did they slap the Sega logo on Tony Hawk Underground 2? It’s not like they need to impress anybody by saying something like, “Sega published this one guys. It’s legit.”

I DON”T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING ANYMORE!!!!!

25. Penis Van Lesbian says:

I think the Tony Hawk is my favourite – do you actually get to play as a small child who’s just been given his first skateboard?

26. Electric Dragon says:

It’s as though there was some kind of Demolition Man-like Franchise War in Kenya: now all games are Grand Theft Auto or Guitar Hero.

27. RTW says:

After much deliberation I think my favorite is Pepsi Iron Man.

Though that Grand Theft Auto 3-in-1 is a thing of beauty. “You don’t need an automatic assault rifle, Squidward! All you need is—IMAGINATION”

28. ItsTheShadsy says:

Bahaha, I totally lost it with WWII Soldier.

29. ferrarimanf355 says:

The US cover for ICO is still worse than the pirate cover.

30. Reuben says:

The cat in the hat looks like Ken Leung

• That’s the one that got me. Not sure why, I think it’s because that’s some 4chan-like PS skills right there. THAT LOOK.

Also, the first Snoopy head is actually ‘shopped on the character of Bolt from the movie Bolt. It’s kind of clever, in an inexplicable way.

31. djsubversive says:

That first San Andreas cover just made me sad that we didn’t get Cesar Vialpando as the protagonist for that game.

Then the next one had Sonic, Mario, and Spongebob behind Cesar, and I dropped back into “confused but amused.”

32. So I’m curious Joe, are these games Region 1 or region free? If so I think I’ve just found about ten years worth of gag gifts.

33. Nadia K says:

Honestly, the Free Running/Mirror’s Edge one isn’t even that bad. I applaud them for that.

But man, that Pepsi-Iron Man one. I couldn’t stop laughing.

34. ComradePig says:

This website is truly a goldmine and I feel obligated to link this amazing gem of a GTA variant:

• TaumpyTearrs says:

Awww, everybody else looking at these has exceeded their sites bandwidth, so now I can’t look.

35. Craig H says:

“Zero Pilot” indeed!

36. Glenn Welsh says:

Well at least you can’t accuse Zero Pilot’s cover of false advertising. If you look closely, you’ll notice there are, in fact, zero pilots on that plane. And I like that there is just a game called “Jackie Chan”, since actually being Jackie Chan must be very much like a video game.

37. Andy Tuttle says:

I just thought you’d all like to know that the Gameological Society commentors have broken the Syrian games website. It currently has a splash page up that says “Bandwidth Exceeded”. Way to go us!

38. Carísimo Rolex says:

La mejor portada la del GTA con el moro cantando con un huquelele. XD XD XD

39. Halloween_Jack says:

Batman: Come At Me, Bro

Dr. Seuss’ Stephen King Goes To A Rave

Pepsi Man: Hey, Even Tony Stark Has Cash Flow Problems Occasionally

Star Trek: Solving That Stupid Star Destroyer Vs. Enterprise-D Question Once And For All

Tony Hawk’s Underground 2: Goddamnit Mom I Asked For An XBox

40. Chris Glover says:

There should totally be a game jam where you have to implement a game to fit the box art of one of these

41. Mike Filak says:

One word…hilarious @ l77t Robocop lol

42. “Since when is Jim Carrey’s character from The Mask a superhero?”

The Mask was created by Dark Horse Comics, he’s ALWAYS been a super hero. He even says “With these powers I could be… A SUPER HERO!” in the movie. Whoever wrote that is not only clueless about the comics but has obviously never even seen the movie.

• Rob Cypher says:

I thought he was a crazy-faced killer in the comics; the movie was something totally different. You sure you’ve read the comics (pre-movie ones, anyway)?

43. avon43 says:

ZERO PILOT: the only flight simulator where you play as a plane that just sits in an air feld doing nothing.

GOTY

44. Alaa says:

LOL That us Syrians
    I am Syrian and i live in Damascus and i know Syrian Games maybe i can get you some pictures of the shop or special interview :D

I will tell you a thing they don’t do that anymore this is all old and it wasn’t only for PS2 also for PC.

Before 5 or 6 years in Syria we didn’t have any original game all pirated now a days we have original games but it’s not very popular and very expensive, before the war you could get any Xbox 360 pirated game for 1 dollar :D

45. SYRIAAA says:

we hack games here in syria
    we used to buy the gta vice city for a half dollar :p
    and we got our own games here
    not hacked but professional
    see the video plzzz

46. fawaz says:

hhhhh i have gta V on ps2 do u believe that !!!!!?????

i’m syrian i can do everything

47. Erin Ashley Hedges says:

For the love of god, I want to play all of these

48. kingsasha says:

Not all syrians are like that
    There are true syrian gamers and stupid syrian gamers
    The stupid guys make this shit , but true gamers like me hate this shit
    So don’t take a wrong picture of syrian gamers like me
    Add me on steam: steamcommunity.com/id/mrLMG
    On origin: MajdYakoub
    So we can play and see the syrian guys

49. Guest says:

I hAte This fUcKiNg game! they made from africa shity games!!!!!

50. Pierre Heath says:

Fishdom 3-Enjoy the ultimate Fishdom experience – it’s better than ever! Now all your fish are in 3D and have their own personality. Feed them, play with them, and watch them interact with each other.

Engage in challenging and fun match-3 gameplay with new unique twists, as you earn dozens of awards and achievements. Choose from over 150 underwater decor items and accessories in 8 unique themes. Plus, design as many tanks as you like. Hey, your finned friends are waiting for you – dive in!

Download free full version PC games here http://www.gamebra.com

51. Pierre Heath says:

Sweet’n’Roll free full version game-Pete, a cute little creature, cannot live a day without something tasty! Unfortunately, he has already eaten all the candies he had. Now he needs to travel around the magical world of the sweets to find his favorite candies. Join him on his exciting trip and help him eat as many goodies as possible!
    Download free full version PC games now!

52. The rainbow was also present in 8 bits games to show these games where not black and gray, but include colours. Maybe is a reference to that: not-monocrome games.  Imagine a world where 16 colorus is a luxury.