The DigestVideo

Games Of January 2013: DmC: Devil May Cry

Our game and beverage choices are totally synergizing right now, you guys.

By John Teti • February 14, 2013

It has been a week full of firsts on The Digest, and here’s another: Today, for the first time, we sample a digestible from the very game we’re reviewing. Capcom sent us a DmC: Devil May Cry promo package with a can of the energy drink Vitality, which plays a central role in the demon-fueled conspiracies of Dante’s world. Watch the video to see what we thought of the beverage, and they stay tuned to drink in our discussion of the new Devil May Cry’s badass style and smart character growth. Thanks for watching The Digest this week—it will return next month, of course.

90 Responses to “Games Of January 2013: DmC: Devil May Cry

1. I wish this game was called ‘Dante’s World’.

2. Girard says:

Vitality tastes like melted down Smarties, whereas we ALL know Red Bull tastes like melted down Nerds.

3. PaganPoet says:

“So, that exists.”

4. Craig J. Clark says:

I’m drinking something in, but it’s not a beverage.

5. SisterMaryFrancis says:

Be still my beating heart.

6. Looks like no one’s familiar with The Drunken Moogle.

Alcoholic drinks based on video games. It’s as awesome as it sounds.

Me a few friends made a couple of them, which were good, but the secret is that most of them are really drinks that already exist, with an added ingredient or two.

• PaganPoet says:

Those Materia drinks at the bottom of the first page look pretty cool. When I see stuff like this or fancy jello shots it makes me wish I was more of a homemaker. What an adorable way to get wasted!

• Anonymous25324 says:

To be fair, most cocktails in general are cocktails with an extra ingredient or two. Change one thing and it’s a whole new drink. Example: Manhattan – whiskey + gin = Martinez.

• The_Misanthrope says:

It all seems very enticing, but I’m very convinced that most of them look much better than they actually taste.  Still, any excuse to get your friends to vomit in new and exciting colors is a good one!

7. HobbesMkii says:

Ugggh…we have to wait another month?

8. dantebk says:

My name is Dante, and it’s very weird playing a game with my name in it. My name is not terribly common (good luck finding it on a novelty license plate or shot glass) and I am far from accustomed to hearing it when someone is not talking to me directly.

But anyway, I’m about 2/3rds through this game and I absolutely love it so far. It might be Ninja Theory’s best work.

9. If they’re going to call it DMC they could have atleast had Darryl McDaniels cameo in it.

10. Effigy_Power says:

The last 3 seconds remind me to never click a video away before it’s done.

11. ChicaneryTheYounger says:

Honestly? Just was waiting for the naked Dante bit.

12. Effigy_Power says:

I am so envious of all of you, seeing this:

Originally I was going to make something about the GS-crew becoming absurdly obese from the inevitable flood of junk-food sent in by readers, but this seemed funnier. Enjoy and yay me.

13. Pandas_please says:

Am I the only one who always say “Devil May Cry” to the tune of “Live and Let Die”? Oh I am… well you should try it, it’s fun.

• Citric says:

When you were young and your heart was an open book.
      You used to say, Devil May Grin.
      You know you did, you know you did, you know you did.
      But if this ever-changing world in which we live in
      Makes you give in and sigh
      Say Devil May Cry

BLAM BLAM!

14. snazzlenuts says:

“Pizza Dick” would be a great hardcore punk band name.

15. Penis Van Lesbian says:

This is broken for me (in Chrome and IE). No video – just a blank space.

16. says:

This figure is nice!

17. ComradePig says:

Gameological’s reasoned arguments for why this is a good game continue to undermine my vision of it as a hilariously forced, Poochie level attempt at edginess.

Stop challenging my preconceived notions GS!

18. Eco1970 says:

Thy love the word ‘invested’ on the Digest, don’t they? I play a Digest drinking game, where i drink a beer and 2 shots of vodka ever time one of them says they are/aren’t invested in a game. I’m more than half cut right now.

• Chum Joely says:

OK, well, for me, they’d only have to say it once and I’d already be at least 65% “cut”. by which I assume you mean “quite comfortably dr-AWNK”.

19. Benny Tormoes says:

Praising a terrible game?
    And dissing several better games?
    For shame. I swear to god, whatever my opinion is on a game, these lame contrarians do the exact opposite.

• Ben says:

If you think the new Devil May Cry is terrible, maybe it’s time to get some better opinions.

• Benny Tormoes says:

Story wise it’s abominable. Terrible dialogue and reprehensible and/or boring characters. Gameplay wise, it’s better than expected, but doesn’t offer anything that other games don’t do better. So yes it sucks.

Deal with it.

• Ben says:

Oh, I guess you’re right! I’ll have to deal with that.

The new DMC has some of the most original environments I’ve ever seen in a game. The fighting is tight, combos are easy to pull off, and you can really clear a room elegantly by switching weapons and zipping from enemy to enemy. The characters have an arc to them, and Dante actually develops over the course of the game. The animation and expressions are fantastic. The story and dialog are leaps and bounds above the previous DMC games.

20. Doc Mabuse says:

I guess I’m the lone boardgamer here as I picked out a copy of Twilight Struggle at the 00:17 mark.