Out This Week

Leviathan: Warships

Blazing Trailers

This week’s releases raise expectations through the magic of YouTube.

By Drew Toal • April 30, 2013

Out This Week is a roundup of new games that are out this week. These listings don’t constitute an endorsement or a review of any sort. We also don’t pretend that this is an exhaustive list. If there’s a game on the horizon that interests you, share it in the comments.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—May 1

You know, most of the time, the best thing about those cheesy ’80s action movies was the trailer. This was definitely the case with, say, American Ninja or Gymkata, which have massively entertaining two-minute clips but are nearly unwatchable movies. (The late voiceover legend Don LaFontaine is largely to thank for that.) It feels like a similar thing could be in store for Blood Dragon, a stand-alone companion to Far Cry 3. Still, the premise is just too intriguing to ignore: It’s 2007. The apocalypse has had an apocalypse, and Sgt. Rex “Power” Colt is a cyber commando with a lot of guns and bad attitude. It’s like they can read my dreams.

Soul Sacrifice
PlayStation Vita—April 30

So the main character in this game appears to be some kind of undercover lizard human, not unlike the evil wizard Wrath-Amon from the early ’90s cartoon Conan The Adventurer. I’m not going to sit here and argue the finer points of the show’s realism, but the thing that always bothered me deeply was that Conan—whose Cimmerian code required he never wear a shirt—sometimes had no nipples. Like, they would just disappear into thin air and then return at an unspecified later scene. It was pretty troubling, especially to 12-year-old me and his rapidly changing body. Like, would my nipples periodically disappear after puberty? We really need to invest more money in elementary school health classes.

Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut
PlayStation 3—April 30

I love the first season of Twin Peaks. It’s probably the best stretch of television I’ve ever seen, and that includes the time I watched five straight hours of Here Comes The Grump. I’ve about had it with knock-offs, though. That show The Killing hews way too close to the source, and Deadly Premonition seems like a bad adaptation of those later Twin Peaks episodes where David Lynch was M.I.A. It’s time to put Laura Palmer to rest.

Leviathan: Warships
PC—April 30

Why not? You’re the boat boss.

51 Responses to “Blazing Trailers”

1. Roswulf says:

Drew, I know you say you are sick of Twin Peaks derivatives, but you really should give Hannibal a shot. It has the distinctive visual style and pervasive weirdness that defined Peaks down cold, albeit Hannibal is a couple of shades darker than the reigning champion of quirky murderville.

Plus given the dreadful ratings last week, Hannibal won’t survive long enough to become listless and tiresome as all these series (including Peaks itself) inevitably do!

• Hannibal has been just phenomenal so far. And the Wonderfalls crossovers/easter eggs have been great.

• Drew Toal says:

I’m sold.

• KidvanDanzig says:

It’s apparently selling well overseas (which makes sense given that it’s basically an American take on ultra-cinematic British cop shows) so like a lot of perceived film failures, none of which I can seem to name at the moment, it’s probably got a better shot at renewal than you’d think.

Also this is NBC we’re talking about, and the show has been a pretty unqualified critical success, which no one was really expecting.

2. Fluka says:

I…think that Leviathan: Warships trailer is coming on to me?

3. Chalkdust says:

Deadly Premonition is so much more than a Twin Peaks/Silent Hill riff.  I can’t wait to revisit it and see what’s changed.  I’m ready, Zack!

Speaking of Twin-Peaks-y games, Kentucky Route Zero. Get on it, Mr. Toal!

• Sam_Barsanti says:

I never finished the original version, and yet, I totally love it. Such a weird game.

• duwease says:

It says a lot about the uniqueness of its vision that I finished it, because the gameplay suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurely could use some improvement.

• His_Space_Holiness says:

Apparently that’s something they’re aiming to fix with the rerelease. I hope it works, because the game looks totally nutballs and I want to try it.

Also, is there a better summation of Guinness World Records’ not caring anymore than “Most Polarizing Survival Horror Game?” That’s an unmeasurable metric on several different levels.

• The_Misanthrope says:

New category coming soon to Guinness Book of World Records:  Book that the Guinness Publishers Want People to Buy Most

• Drew Toal says:

I’ll take your word for it. Also take nothing I say in the OTW too seriously.

Except the adult nipple fear. That’s legit.

4. rvb1023 says:

That’s 3 games I want coming out this week. Blood Dragon looks entertaining as all hell, Soul Sacrifice looks exactly like the kind of game I would design (Admittedly with less of a multiplayer focus), and Deadly Premonition is one of the most wonderful surprises of this generation. I picked it up for $10 for the 360 and feel no remorse in buying it for $40 for PS3, even though it runs worse and only added a few new scenes.

Now I only wish I had a Vita to play SS. Oh well.

• PaganPoet says:

Part of me wants to buy Soul Sacrifice this week because it looks pretty cool and I want to support developers who release games for the Vita because I impulse bought one and need to justify that purpose. The other part of me realizes I’m kind of broke and I still have, like, 10 other games I need to finish.

• Enkidum says:

Dude, you can like grow a tree out of your arm and hit people with it or something like that. Why are you even thinking?

But yeah, in a year or whatever you can get this for 10 bucks…

I had somehow avoided hearing about this game until I looked at the comments on the PS+ blog and about 1/3 of them are people complaining about no information on the Soul Sacrifice release. Which seems odd because, you know, it has nothing to do with PS+, but whatever.

5. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

The story of Conan’s intermittent nipples is actually how he came to distrust wizards.
       While traversing the Graybone Plains, he was set upon by the mad Wizard Asham and cursed to have his nipples vanish only to reappear randomly and with no cause.
       After many months of tracking and buying information with either blood or gold, Conan discovered he must travel to the Indigo plane to find his nipples.
       Once provided passage by the Weeping Priestess, he found his nipples in the Azure Tower.
       It was only upon the discovery of his heisted nipples being used as wetnurse to nourish the twin princes of the Indigo Plane that stayed Conan’s violent hand.
       He returned home, still under Asham’s curse, even knowing that the Indigo Princes will breastfeed for a hundred years.
       That’s the synopsis of Conan the Mammarian, Robert E. Howard’s longest book in the series at about fifteen hundred pages.

• His_Space_Holiness says:

And that is how Robert E. Howard invented the Internet.

Sounds like an Oglaf story.

I had no idea what Oglaf was, so I went to go check it out.
           That’s a hell of a thing.
           The long-form stories are muddy, but the art is great, most of the gags are pretty good and it’s about time someone in high-fantasy owned all the smut simmering under the surface.

Consider yourself entertained. I’ve been reading it since comic #10 or so and it’s usually up to the task of keeping me interested.

• Simon Jones says:

I remember buying Platinum Grit.

In single issues.

At the news agency.

Because I am apparently old as balls.

There was also a Cyberpunky thing called Zero Assassin, another Cyberpunky thing called Razorback and a thing about a talking bull called Greener Pastures.

Not by the same people. But from the same weird little Australian comics boom they had for a while.

• Chalkdust says:

Pervy stuff notwithstanding, Fountain of Death remains my favorite Oglaf gag.

6. ChicaneryTheYounger says:

There will be no disparaging of Deadly Premonition in my presence! I mean, I only got a few hours in, but it was the funniest game I’ve ever played.

7. HilariousNPC says:

Zeno Clash 2, also out this week. I guess it’s “weird FPS” season.

• Army_Of_Fun says:

Weird doesn’t do Zeno Clash justice. Also, it’s more a First Person Puncher than Shooter.

8. Citric says:

This year the list of things I want is getting rather lenghty, I’m going to have to start buying stuff pretty soon to stay on top of it. Let’s see what the list is sitting at now, including stuff from last year I have yet to purchase:

Spec Ops: The Line
    Dishonored
    DmC
    Metal Gear Rising
    Bioshock Infinite
    Maybe Hitman?

Now we throw on Blood Dragon and Deadly Premonition: DC (I love weird ambitious nonsense)… I can’t wait for the new console generation just because now I’ll be able to claw back the backlog.

• duwease says:

I enjoyed Hitman.. it’s not the same, though.  They ramped down the open levels where you are given free reign to come up with a clever murder method, and ramped up the long stealth levels.  Still, there’s nothing like Hitman, so even a little Hitman is better than none.  You *could* just go the route of getting the HD re-release collection though…  I’m not helping, am I?

9. KidvanDanzig says:

Dang Drew Toal just can’t enjoy camp, that’s sad. Real sad for you, Drew.

10. Kyle Hale says:

Holy shit the nostalgia flowed very strong when I clicked the Grump link. One of like 5 English language videos at the rental store in Momenheim back in my military brat days. Way better than Twin Peaks.