The Bulletin

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Neon Trees

Far Cry 3 goes back to the retro-future, we discover Batman’s origin, and EA is just the worst in Gameological’s weekly news roundup.

By Sam Barsanti • April 15, 2013

The Bulletin is a roundup of a few game-related news stories from the previous week.

Ubisoft shows off footage from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

If you enjoyed last year’s Far Cry 3 but didn’t think it had enough neon cyborg dinosaurs, then you are in luck…and possibly on drugs. After a very April Fools’ Day-appropriate tease on April 1, Ubisoft has officially revealed the first footage of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, a downloadable spinoff of the open-world shooter. Blood Dragon sends players to a cheesy ’80s action-movie vision of the future (in the far-off year of 2007). As reported by Joystiq, the game stars Terminator’s Michael Biehn as Sgt. Rex “Power” Colt, a veteran of Vietnam War II who has become a cyborg commando. Playing as Colt, you’ll be doing the same basic stuff you did in Far Cry 3, but instead of killing pirates and tigers, you’ll kill robots and dinosaurs that shoot lasers out of their eyes. Honestly, if you’re not on board after watching the faux-VHS quality trailer above, I’m not sure we can be friends anymore. Blood Dragon will be coming to PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on May 1, and you won’t need a copy of Far Cry 3 to play it.

EA is officially The Worst Company In America (according to internet people)
EA logo

Electronic Arts, the video game publisher best known for sending countless space explorers to their deaths in pursuit of weaponizing a race of chest-bursting alien monsters (at least when it’s not too busy creating zombie viruses or terminating the human race with an army of robots), has been named The Consumerist’s Worst Company In America for the second year in a row. I mentioned that EA was in the running a few weeks ago, but even then I didn’t think the studio had much of a chance of “winning” (considering that it had to beat horrible corporations like Ticketmaster and Bank Of America along the way), but that’s what I get for underestimating the internet’s collective annoyance with SimCity.

Former Metroid Prime developers almost made a Mega Man shooter
Maverick Hunter

This isn’t so much news as it is a crazy thing that almost happened, but it’s still worth talking about. As revealed by an in-depth feature at Polygon, we almost got a first-person shooter reboot of the Mega Man series from Armature, a studio created by former Metroid Prime developers. The early videos embedded in that Polygon article look like a re-skinned Metroid Prime, but some more Mega Man-esque elements—like killing an enemy and then stealing his weapon—are on display too. The game was codenamed Maverick Hunter and would’ve been based on the Mega Man X storyline, which takes place in the future of the original series and had the titular character hunting down evil robots (like he always does). But surely everyone out there is an expert on the byzantine Mega Man timeline, so I don’t need to explain any further. Unfortunately (or fortunately, probably), Maverick Hunter was eventually deemed too risky for Capcom, and the publisher canceled it. Who knows? Maybe this would have opened the door for more gritty reboots of other classic Capcom games. Ghosts’n Goblins would make a good first-person shooter, right?

Warner Bros. to reveal Batman’s origin in new Arkham game

According to this Game Informer-exclusive announcement, we’ll soon be getting the answer to a question that has plagued video game fans ever since the release of Batman: Arkham Asylum in 2009: How did a billionaire playboy like Bruce Wayne become the vigilante known as the Batman? The world needs to know! Okay, so the lore of Batman isn’t exactly uncharted pop-culture territory at this point, but still, new Batman game. Batman: Arkham Origins is a prequel to the other two Arkham games (the aforementioned Asylum and 2011’s Batman: Arkham City) and will apparently take place early in the Bat’s career, on a night when a group of assassins (including Deathstroke, DC’s secret coolest character) all decide to team up and kill him. I’m guessing they do it by luring him to an abandoned warehouse and then putting him through some kind of elaborate, easily escapable death trap.

The next game by the creator of Minecraft might never come out

What do you do when your hit indie game sells more than 10 million copies? Well, if you’re Minecraft creator Markus “Notch” Persson, you can do whatever you want—even if that means slacking off on your next project. Talking with Polygon’s Brian Crecente (presumably while lounging in a solid gold hot tub full of money), Notch explained that he has hit a “creative block” with his next game, a space-based shooter called 0x10c that purports to feature lots of exploration and functioning in-game computers. Except now, Notch isn’t sure if he’ll ever release 0x10c. Really, though, it sounds to me like he’s just being lazy. You create one of the most successful indie games of all time and you think you deserve some time to replenish your creative juices? Nonsense! Get back to work, Notch. I want to throw more of my money at you.

65 Responses to “Neon Trees”

1. PugsMalone says:

That Mega Man FPS looks way too serious. One of the reasons that Mega Man X worked is because it was just a little darker than the original series.

I really wish that companies weren’t so damn secretive about abandoned projects like this- who knows how much fascinating stuff is in the vaults?

• PaganPoet says:

I agree 100%; @Girard:disqus made a good point about this last week, given the track record of 90’s XTREEM!!!! marketing, it’s kind of a miracle that the X series actually turned out to be stellar.

• boardgameguy says:

they could event post art and information from abandoned projects to an in-house blog and generate lots of views and traffic to their site

• The NES Mega Man games had kind of a wistful optimism. Mega Man fought evil, but dreamed of a day when evil would be no more.

We learn in Mega Man X, though, that war is inevitable. The peaceful future that Dr. Light strived for in 20XX has proven to be a mere fantasy.

It was probably a specious rumor, but I remember in the early internet MegaMan fandom days talk about Capcom planning a game that covered the transition between the classic and X series MegaMans, before realizing that such a game would necessarily entail all of the beloved classic characters (apart from maybe Auto, who cameos in X3) being killed.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

I don’t think it was so much about war being inevitable, but Dr. Light introduced an unknown (X!) that others duplicated, and that led to a massive shift. Robots were still robots, but now there was a class of robots (“reploids”) that could be considered “people”; very classic speculative fiction.

Most of the conflicts were arbitrary, but some of the games flirted with shades of grey. At least one game’s antagonists were normal reploids that were trying to remove themselves from the conflict, until it was revealed that the series’ big bad was behind everything again.

Unfortunately, as much as I like the first game in the X series, I can’t say the games were very good at crafting a compelling plot. It also led to scenes like this. But that first game is great.

• Sleverin says:

Yeah, that scene did suck.  I loved X4 and totally played as both X and Zero, but holy crap did they hire some weak ass voice acting for that game. Kinda wish I was deaf for that part.

• Sam_Barsanti says:

I remember Irrational talking about a zombie game they were working on pre-Bioshock 1 that sounded totally incredible. Open-world stuff, building bases, having to fight off former friends that got infected.

Capcom took almost the exact opposite route with the also (though much less deservingly so) cancelled MegaMan Legends 3, making the dev process extremely transparent and even tapping the fan community for contributions to the game.

However, the fallout from that cancellation soured a lot of folks (or at least a vocal minority or folks) on Capcom. Whether that was due to increased fan investment in the project, or whether it was because MML3 actually would have been a good game while Maverick Hunter would…probably not, I can’t say.

2. PaganPoet says:

Hasn’t the Batman origin story been told enough by now? I realize movie/game/whatever producers who renew or reboot the series every 10 years ago feel it’s their responsibility to retell it. But is it really?

This is actually one of my biggest gripes about the most recent Spiderman films as well. I didn’t need the first third of the movie to tell me again how Peter Parker became Spiderman.

• rvb1023 says:

I didn’t really get the “Batman origin story” vibe from the announcement, despite the subtitle. I really think they just went with a prequel because they didn’t really know where to go with after City.

• His_Space_Holiness says:

I just assumed they were going to adapt the “No Man’s Land” storyline and make the entirety of Gotham City the game world, since Arkham City had a bit about earthquakes in Gotham being pooh-poohed by the city government. It seems like the logical next step.

Also, using “Arkham” in every game title seems to have become something of a straitjacket. Hell, maybe they should just make the next game “Batman: Arkham, Massachusetts” and have him fight Cthulhu. It’ll be just like “A Shadow Over Innsmouth,” except instead of fleeing from legions of fish-people, you beat the crap out of them.

Batman: Arkham The Covenant, where he teams up with Indiana Jones to get holy relics away from the Nazis.

• Batman: Arkham Wine Country (Poison Ivy and Killer Croc take over a posh upscale country club and turn it into a jungle death trap)
          Batman: Arkham Antiques Roadshow (Scarface and the Ventriloquist take over a high school gymnasium, trapping hundreds of elderly Gotham civilians inside. Also Sportsmaster is there, because it’s a high school gym and they haven’t used him yet)
          Batman: Arkham Dollhouse (Harley Quinn or Scarecrow or somebody does something creepy and it focuses on childhood trauma or whatever. It’s Batman.)
          Batman: Arkham Happy Hour (all the bad guys get drunk and wrestle. Batman investigates dressed as a C-list villain but realizes they’re no threat and goes home)
          Batman: Arkham Flea Market (The Riddler is shopping for some obscure LPs, Two-Face is terrible at haggling prices, nobody lets Catwoman try anything on without buying it first)

• Swadian Knight says:

They actually did an Elseworlds story back in 2000 called Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham which was pretty much the Cthulhu mythos with Batman in it.

It’s better than it sounds.

• A No-Man’s Land game would be awesome. But yea, the naming is an issue. I actually think you all are on to something with playing up the Lovecraftian side. I would go with Batman: Arkham’s Shadow. Also, that elseworlds story looks awesome.

• WarrenPeace says:

@AuroraBoreanaz:disqus Wait, shouldn’t that be Raiders of the Lost Arkham?

• Boonehams says:

But Arkham City ended with so many possible plot threads to go forward with.  Why go backwards with a prequel at all when… *SPOILERS*… Hush threatens to end Bruce Wayne’s life and escapes from Batman’s clutches, Scarecrow leaving clues to a plot where he plans on infecting all of Gotham with his fear toxin by injecting it into cockroaches and setting them loose in the city, and the introduction of Azrael who tells Batman of some “prophecy” where he will “close the gates of Hell”?

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

I’m not exactly hot on the idea of a sequel or a prequel, but I do wonder what kind of direction a direct sequel to Arkham City would take.

Especially since they would have to build things around Joker’s death. Like, not just comic book dead, actually dead. Presumably.

The game certainly implied some things with that ending, like Batman felt some kind of trauma because of it, but I doubt a sequel would properly address that while also escalating the conflict, as I suspect a direct sequel would.

• Cloks says:

It’s not being made by Rocksteady so that might have something to do with it.

• Raging Bear says:

There’s that overheard conversation between thugs in the museum in the endgame state, where one of them says something like “What are they going to do next, ‘Arkham World’? Chortle” which I chose to take as an explicit statement of intent. Might not have been, though.

If this prequel is not done by Rocksteady, I might sit it out. I’m not sure I’ve ever not been disappointed with an installment of a series I enjoy that was developed by a new studio.

• Sam_Barsanti says:

Wasn’t the Scarecrow Boat (pre-Mouse Rat) super secretly hidden, too? Like, you had to know it was there in order to get inside, a la the Arkham City room in the first game? It’s very weird that they are apparently doing nothing with all of these dangling plot threads.

• George_Liquor says:

I’d heard rumors that the next game would be grounded in the silver age of Batman comics. I guess that’s no longer the case if they’re including Deathstroke.

• stuartsaysstop says:

Plus I think they’re saving the big guns for the next-gen Arkham Game, presumably being developed by Rocksteady while this title is farmed out to WB Studios.

• Sam_Barsanti says:

From what I understand, it’s just “an” early Batman story as opposed to “the” early Batman story. But yeah, it’s pretty well-covered ground.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

That would be alright, but it sounds more like something you’d expect in a mini-series or one-shot comic. A plot like that sounds slight for a multimillion dollar video game.

I this were some kind of episodic Batman game set in the same “universe” as the games, I’d be interested, but it’s not, is it?

• Swadian Knight says:

In the comics, DC is actually preparing to publish a story called Batman: Zero Year, which will be yet another rehash of Batman’s origin story. The writer, Scott Snyder, has promised that it will show us a Gotham we’ve never seen before, while simultaneously assuring us that the classic story elements will all remain untouched, so I’m sure it will all be very original.

What’s even better is the reason why they’re doing all this: DC didn’t want to interrupt Grant Morrison’s ongoing Batman epic, so the events in the Batman books remained untouched when they decided to reboot everything else in their universe in an event called New52. Consequently, the main Batman series has gone down a weird rabbit hole of continuity where their only hope of recovery is to now reset and retcon a ton of the stuff they didn’t want to interrupt earlier.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother reading comics.

• The_Misanthrope says:

How does a “Zero Year” differ from a “Year Zero”, anyway?  Good to see Scott Snyder is on it, anyway.

DC Comic’s weird obsession with continuity always screws them over.  I always liked Marvel’s more slap-dash approach to continuity, where they just change something–bring someone back from the dead, ignore some piece of continuity–and move on without much fanfare or editorial hand-wringing.  It allows the writers to use characters they want without having to untie a complicated continuity first.  You want to use Magneto as a hero again, but he was just seen killing a whole bunch of people in the last story arc?  Just say that the person who killed all those people was an imposter pretending to be Magneto.  Problem solved.

• Swadian Knight says:

Marvel has a stable of characters who were mostly created and developed in-house with a fair amount of editorial control, whereas DC has a near endless number of characters they acquired from other publishers beside their own creations (many of which are tied up in complex copyright battles).

I can’t imagine how daunting it must be for DC to try and pull all their intellectual properties under one roof in a way that makes some kind of sense, and they seem to dig themselves a deeper hole every time they try. It’s actually kind of funny to watch.

Regarding the title of the Batman story, I really have no idea. Maybe Snyder’s trying to put some distance between this and Year One?

3. duwease says:

Oh, then good thing I just started Far Cry 3 then after my sudden death in XCOM classic mode made me put it down temporarily for something less nerve-wracking.

I mean, seriously, I specifically made myself a sniper so I *wouldn’t* die!  When that Floater dropped in behind our lines and waded through a storm of bullets to pop my head clean off, I did not take it well.  Better than my wife, at least, who flipped out and nearly killed the female rookie who ran up to my body afterwards.  In hindsight, she was already stressed enough that the game insisted she was a “Heavy”, so the whole dead husband thing was really the last straw.

“Honey, does this AR-45* long-range rifle with grenade launcher make me look fat?”

*-Probably not an actual gun model number.  No research performed.

4. Bad Horse says:

My eyes just popped clean out. If I have to buy the whole fucking Far Cry 3 package to get that DLC, well, they maybe just made a sale.

5. His_Space_Holiness says:

I haven’t played Far Cry 3 and I’m not likely to buy this spinoff, but I wholeheartedly support rampant silliness in video games, so it has my unequivocal approval.

• PPPfive says:

Pirates have already been playing it for a week – the whole thing was leaked a month early. Personally I like to believe the creator of the game did it himself so as to further blur the lines between game and shady-pirate-VHS

6. duwease says:

You know, there is one big positive about the DLC milking craze.  Once a “safe” property is sold and is in enough hands, the developers seem to get more creative license to release a DLC pack that is just wide-out insanity and quite often more fun than the original.  Blood Dragon, Undead Nightmare, third example… it’s the only way to get the creative freedom of an indie game with the polish of a AAA budget.

7. ChicaneryTheYounger says:

Hopefully Blood Dragon won’t be as eye-rollingly stupid and racist as Far Cry 3 proper. Though I won’t get my hopes up, it’s very hard to do camp action movie well.

If it is, it will be self-consciously and ironically stupid and racist, which is…better?

Also, 80s nostalgia is now officially old enough that I can be nostalgic for it at this point.

IS it better though?
        People say that a lot it seems. People say that Suda51 games aren’t sexist because they are basically satire or FarCry3’s “White Savior” scenario isn’t racist with a colonial spin because, you know, it’s aware of that and look, there’s a black guy helping him, so it’s cool.
        I still hold the opinion that it’s far too easy to claim that every -ism thrown into a game to appeal to someone dumb is very much there to lampoon the very point it furthers. Especially in hindsight.

“Well, no, you see, you don’t understand why Lara can’t put on a sweater even though she’s freezing to death. It’s to satirize the earlier games and their focus on Lara’s boobs.” -cue shot of Lara’s boobs-

In a way I almost have to begrudgingly respect the people who make something offensive and gratuitous and then DON’T come up with a retrofitted reason on why this is somehow a good thing. There’s too much pretense in our culture already anyways and gaming is doing its best to add to that. The background-story to Just Cause 2 is terribly cynical, slowly replacing the protagonists desire to “free Panau” with the very clear motive to defend US global interest. Nobody at any point claims that this is a good thing. When Rico blows up water towers, gas stations and wind turbines, he doesn’t do it because the life of the people there is improved, he does it because it aids his ulterior motive as a CIA agent. It’s creepy and slightly sickening to play that style, but at least it’s genuine, just like Sleeping Dogs or GTA4 tell it. Life is sometimes shit and here’s what people do when they must.

I’ve gotten quite off the point here. Anyways, making some vapid remark about how “self-aware” about the content they are does not absolve developers and writers from the offensive or insulting stuff they sometimes make.

I was being ironic about being ironic – which makes me part of the problem, I suppose!

But, yeah, I don’t really accept the idea of absolution through irony. There are definitely ways for art to engage with thorny issues, and some of those ways include humor and a level of critical distance, but the facile “It’s just a joke!” thing more often than not is a case of having one’s cake and eating it, too.

Like when DEVO released that album of tweeny-bopper music on Disney records in the early 00s and were all “We’re still countercutural – we’re just taking the piss! Isn’t this hilarious? – Wink.” And, as you’ve pointed out, apart from simple hypocrisy, this kind of rhetorical move can also be a way to perpetuate noxious jingoism, racism, and sexism.

As Kurt Vonnegut said, “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” A critical ‘ironic’ distance can be a useful tool for engaging with problematic art and culture – but it alone doesn’t magically absolve you from propagating those problematic elements.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

@paraclete_pizza:disqus, that Vonnegut quote is great. I was going to say something similar: a game may spend a half hour re-contextualizing its own racist or sexist or violent elements, but that’s usually after so-many hours of, you know, being racist or sexist or violent, so it has a hard time resonating. After-the-though irony is, at best, a failure to communicate something within the work itself.

• duwease says:

Ladies and gentleman.  What I am going to perform here is a feat of tightrope derring-do unattempted by anyone in human history.  Tonight, with your very own eyes, you will see.. a person argue that Bayonetta is less sexist than Mass Effect.

…. ahem.  Focus.  Here we go.

So, Bayonetta.  Probably the front-runner for “game most likely to cause embarrassment when seen playing”.  Near-constant female nudity.  Yet, in context of the game, it’s one source of over-the-top titillation amongst many.  Graphic dismemberments.  Ten-story-tall opponents. Surfing enemy corpses down lava floods, smashing opponents with buildings, riding a motorcycle up the side of a rocket into space.  I won’t argue that it makes the nudity “ironic”.  But it distinctly sets up a playground that is completely separated from reality in every sense, so that everything you’re seeing is just sensation cranked up to 11.  Nothing that happens here has any expectation of reflecting reality.

Mass Effect, on the other hand, has pretensions of Art.  It’s meant to be Mature.  It’s meant to reflect aspects of real life closely enough to cause emotional connection.  And that’s why, to me, coming across the third or fourth Very Important Female who nevertheless has her enormous Space Cleavage on full display is far more damaging than anything in Bayonetta.  These are meant to be people with real
          roles.. prominent leaders, scientists, soldiers, advanced artificial life forms.. all represented by the same visual shorthand of Boob Delivery Vehicle.  And, due to the relative seriousness of everything else around them, there seems to be a far more insidious implication about females and their physical appearances.

So, which is more sexist.. the game that claims exaggerated sexuality as part of a fully unrealistic milieu?  Or the game that puts it, without comment, in a more realistic scenario?

• Simon Jones says:

I’m actually going to defend Far Cry 3 on this count because it’s self awareness was actually a distinct part of the narrative to the point where the resolution of the game was partially about how far you bought into the idea you were a ‘white saviour’

It wasn’t even particularly subtle about it.

@google-aa3d3e69ad6ac05b510b07fa7ce00830:disqus: I wasn’t aware of that ending, so taken into consideration, that example isn’t as apt as others.

• Simon Jones says:

To be fair, you’re not exactly alone there. There’s a hell of a lot of reviews where it was clear that the people involved had played the first couple of hours and decided to make judgments based on that.

It admittedly didn’t always succeed at what it’s trying to do but the game really does geniunely shout in your ear on that front.

• ChicaneryTheYounger says:

@google-aa3d3e69ad6ac05b510b07fa7ce00830:disqus I got to the end of it and still thought it was incredibly racist. The white people were still the good guys, the Indian man who “rose above his place” was still the villain, and not one PoC was trustworthy.

In particular, the white saviour trope is apparently subverted, yet Jason Brody is still the most powerful user of the Tatu and the man who freed the island from dictatorship and pirates.

I have no doubt it was meant to be critical, but it failed as criticism as it used the tropes straight in the end.

• Other Chris says:

To answer your question, no it’s not racist. Despite being campy and silly, it’s actually a better told story than FC3.

8. Brainstrain says:

I know that Europeans take more time off than Americans, generally speaking, but Notch really does come off as incredibly lazy. He has the money to (almost literally) do whatever he wants in his medium, and he chooses to do…almost nothing? Ebert’s comment rings true sometimes: games can never be art, at least while game makers aren’t artists.

Eh, even if he doesn’t lift a finger again for the rest of his life, creating one massively successful, revolutionary, paradigm-shifting, household-name game in a lifetime is a decent achievement. I wouldn’t exactly call him ‘lazy,’ and I definitely wouldn’t say he isn’t an artist.

Harper Lee only wrote a single novel in her lifetime, but she’s undeniably a writer, and one of the most notable American authors of the 20th century.

I mean, there are plenty of rich people who actually are non-contributing zeroes. Let’s get on their cases.

• uselessyss says:

That last sentence scared me for a second, but then I remembered that I’m not rich.

• ShrikeTheAvatar says:

I actually think he’s kind of an asshole.. or at least very self-centered and obsessed with drama.  I had to stop following him on Twitter for that exact reason.

9. Can we take a moment to step and acknowledge how patently absurd it is that Minecraft happened?

A Swedish guy who works on phone games, posts on the TigForums about wanting to make a game like infiniminer but more cheery and with monsters.  He fiddles with some alpha builds and then starts selling beta access for 10 or 15 bucks. His game catches on and builds a cult following on the internet, which is where in the ‘world of things that make sense’, it should’ve stopped.  But then it became a global fucking phenomena with expos in Las Vegas, United Nations sanctioned education programs in Africa and armies of 10-year-olds building sloppy castles way past their bed time! 10 million copies sold!?!?! That’s crazy!  More people own this game than live in Switzerland, Costa Rica and Armenia combined!

I remember finally hearing about the game in early 2011 as I was finishing up college, and the game almost kept me from graduating it was so addictive.  But I never had any idea it would balloon to this size, and honestly, I’m kind of glad it did because it  exists as a giant “Fuck You” to all those coke-addled marketers and execs who thought the only way to the top was to clone Call of Duty over and over.  Problem is now everybody wants to clone Minecraft…

Yeah, gotta love the crazy out-of-nowhere success stories.  “Girl makes Myspace fashion pages for friends, becomes millionaire!”

I would still be playing Minecraft if it had more construction options and enemies.  In other words, I will probably be playing Planet Explorers, whose Kickstarter I just supported.

I also recommend looking at “StarForge”, which is still in very early Alpha testing, but looks like it might be on the right track there.

Yeah, I’ve been watching that one too. (My previous art style comment was about another game, not sure which one now.)

I’m also looking forward to Starbound, the “sci-fi Terraria” game.

• Zach Sheffler says:

I don’t think that everyone “cloning” Minecraft is a problem. I like Minecraft – I’ve wasted more than my fair share of time on it, believe me. But, at the same time, it’s unpolished, buggy, and slow, and between the structural issues the game presents and Mojang’s design strategy, that doesn’t look to change any time soon.

Frankly, I’m ready for a good clone of Minecraft. If for no other reason, there should be competition to drive progress in existing products. It’s silly to resist it in any case. Should Warcraft not have come out because it was a “clone” of Dune 2? Or Duke Nukem 3D because of Doom? Minecraft got the voxel sandbox into the public consciousness, but it’s about time that someone took that idea, polished it to a mirror shine, and advanced the form beyond what Minecraft offers now.

10. feisto says:

Well, Sam, you’ll be happy to know that you will be able to throw more money at Notch soon enough when his actual next project “Scrolls” comes out later this year (I think…it’s in closed alpha now).

11. EmperorNortonI says:

I’m normally not a huge fan of single-player FPS games, but Blood Dragon looks so utterly deranged that I’m seriously thinking of getting it.  Once I get a new gaming rig, that is.

12. Ah, the trappings of Blood Dragon look absolutely amazing. I’m in the middle of a massive binge on throwback 80’s synthesizer music like Lazerhawk, Kavinsky, Perturbator, and Danger, so I am absolutely primed for a game drenched in neon heralded on the tracking-addled visuals of a VHS cassette.

Unfortunately the actual game part of it looks to be the same as any other FPS. It’s not like the Halo series hasn’t already done four or five games’ worth of neon purple color palettes anyway. Bah. I guess I should try Hotline Miami.