Sawbuck Gamer

Tax Evaders

Form 1040 Or Fight!

Tax Evaders wags the “99 percent” dog.

By Drew Toal • April 15, 2013

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap game ($10 or less).

Having done my part, just 30 minutes ago, to finance another glorious year of incompetent American government, I’m not much in the mood to consider the reasons why my effective tax rate—that of a guy sitting around in his sweatpants writing about video games—is higher than a company like General Electric or Verizon. Instead, I’ll just vent my frustrations in Tax Evaders, the Space Invaders-esque edutainment game that forces giant corporations to pay their fair share through the fury of a disembodied rocket-fist.

As the corporate spacecraft hover above the decayed Main Street infrastructure, an angry mob of class warriors must shoot them down and bleed them for revenue. It doesn’t all take place in the realm of silent, impotent fuming—when the game ends, a message invites you to send out a tweet voicing your anger with corporate tax welfare moochers. Tax Evaders is short and almost insultingly blunt—under normal circumstances, I’d likely roll my eyes at the extremely heavy-handed “99 percent” pandering—but with a mess of 1099s and W-2s spread out before me, and no health insurance or savings to show for it, I’m going to go ahead and keep shooting at BP and Exxon for a while.

11 Responses to “Form 1040 Or Fight!”

1. RTW says:

I barely register April 15 as “tax day”. To me, “tax day” = “the instant I get all my W-2s”.

Same for me.  Of course, we pay extra throughout the year to insure a refund.  (Yeah, yeah…”giving the government a no-interest loan” and all that.  It’s worth it for the inevitable annual credit card payoff and/or shopping spree.)

• George_Liquor says:

I got a pay raise this year, and quite literally all of it went to taxes.

2. Aurora Boreanaz says:

For this typical American citizen it’s really infuriating that the big banks essentially purposefully engineered huge damage to our economy, and not a single one of them was punished.  They were given bailout money to help their CUSTOMERS, and instead they tightened all of the loan regulations to screw over the little guys again.

I asked my bank for a debt consolidation loan to eliminate my largest credit card when they decided to double my interest rate for absolutely no reason other than they were mad at the government for cracking down on them.  They refused my loan because I had too much debt.  I explained to them that’s why I wanted the loan, to turn revolving credit into a stable lower interest account, and they blew me off.  A few months later they came back to me and suggested I try again…and denied me again.  Finally they came to me a third time, saying the regulations were relaxed now, but I didn’t feel like being Charlie Brown having the football yanked away from him again.

My father is losing his house because it ended up so far upside-down he couldn’t afford the mortgage, and the wonderfully helpful bank refused him refinancing for two years, until they finally made him an offer – of MORE money per month than he was already paying.  So now he’s moving into a mobile home that will cost him less than half what he was paying for the house, and the idiot bank has to sell it, probably for less than Dad would have paid.

Sorry, our current economy is an extremely touchy subject for me lately.  The game was mildly amusing when it wasn’t making me remember how mad I was at this situation.

• George_Liquor says:

I’m really sorry to hear that, and I hope everything works out for you & your dad. Credit reporting is a particular source of frustration for me. It took months for me to correct what was nothing but a damned clerical error on the part of the Big Three.

Ouch, sorry!  I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about that.  So nice that the Big Three will instantly jump on any report of a consumer’s misdeeds, but removing a false or resolved complaint from a company takes forever.

3. HobbesMkii says:

Worst Tax Day ever.

4. JudgeReinhold says:

That was both a shitty game and a shitty political statement.

5. Cloks says:

This is only tangentially related, but my dad used to work for BP way back in the eighties. He did something or other to ensure worker safety and as a result still has a handful of BP “swag” such as sweatshirts, work jackets and a few trinkets. Among these is a mug that proclaims “BP Celebrates Earth Day,” which may be the single most ironic mug I’ve ever seen.

6. The graphic has me hoping this might be a tax-oriented version of Repton.  When the sequestration comes, are you teleported to an underground cavern for a different experience?