PSA

Remember Me

We want your questions about Capcom’s latest game, Remember Me

By Matt Gerardi • May 28, 2013

Every once in a while we like to do a little something extra with our game reviews, something we like to call a “Review Check-In.” And we want to do them more often. Here’s how it works: We ask you what you’d like to know about an upcoming game, we pick our favorite questions, and John poses said questions to our reviewer in a video chat that we’ll publish either before or alongside the full review. Here’s our video chat covering Gears Of War: Judgment, which also happens to feature my favorite question so far, “Do all the characters look like they’re modeled out of foreskin?”

Our next Review Check-In is going to be with Anthony John Agnello, and we’ll be talking about Capcom’s latest game, Remember Me. The game has gained quite a bit of attention for its bold choice of main character: a lady. (Boy, that’s a depressing standard.) Go ahead and let us know what you’d like to ask Anthony in the comments. Here’s a trailer for some inspiration.

35 Responses to “We want your questions about Capcom’s latest game, Remember Me

1. Cloks says:

This looks like it has an even chance of being crap or brilliant.

Actual question: Seeing as I can’t afford to jet off to Paris, how well does Neo-Paris compare to the actual thing? Is it something that could be conceivably lived in or just a mish-mash of every landmark that screams “PARIS!” with a veneer of retro-futurism?

2. Simon Jones says:

Why am I so utterly unexcited about this game? It seems like something I’d like but the broader response seems like a kind of soft meh.

3. Fluka says:

Please be good please be good please be good.

Sigh.  I might actually end up buying this regardless of reviews, just because I want it to be successful so badly.  I’m actually struggling to think of any other game coming out in the rest of the year that has a set female main character, and I’m very much digging the Neo-Paris setting and the use of coooloooorrrr.  I hate having to put so much hope on a single game.

Damn, I should think of a question.  Uuuhhh.  Besides “What genre is this game?” (Because seriously, what genre is this game?  Not “cyberpunk,” I mean, but stealth?  Brawler?  Assassin’s Creed action adventure?  The gameplay looks like it’s got a loooot going on.)

Oh, I have one!  How much of the gameplay requires good hand-eye coordination and fast timing, and will it be unplayable for those of us with slow, clumsy reflexes?

• Marozeph says:

In the vein of “What genre is this game?”: Is it a pure action title or is there some puzzle-solving? The trailer states that the main character can “remix memorys”, is this done in form of a minigame, is it a proper gameplay-element, or is it just an advertising hook and we just get to see her do it in cutscenes?

• The demo from last summer made the overworld seem sort of Assassins Creed-ish while the memory remix parts were kind of Ghost Trick-ly. Of course, I have neither seen nor touched anything of the game since then, so I can’t say for sure, but that bit did pique my interest at the time.

• Sleverin says:

I’m buying this no matter what.  It’s going to have to suck extremely hard (literally unplayable) for me not to pick it up.  The setting looks too amazing and the previews I’ve seen for it on altering people’s memories and leaving people braindead in the midst of battle is way too cool.

My question is: is it really that goddamned novel that it has a female protagonist?  I never get this weird thinking (OHMYGOD ITS A WOMAN LEAD) that it’s some crazy choice out of left field.  I heard about the game, saw it had a female protagonist and went, “Wow this game looks cool, I’m gonna buy it.”  Nowwhere did I think “Oh Lord a woman she needs to be back in the kitchen”, nor did I think, “Hurray, a strong female lead for once, just what the world needs!  We’ve really been hurting for those.”  I find both extremes really pithy and don’t understand them.  Aaaaand probably a bit too rantish right?

• Fluka says:

As far as I can tell, it’s either this or Lara Croft if I want to play a new game as a lady this year (or make my own RPG character, which only sort of counts).  Certainly the only nonwhite lady.  Feel free to correct me with counterexamples, commenters!

If I’m being perfectly honest with myself, though, I just want to scamper around cyberpunk Paris yeeesssss.

• Marozeph says:

IIRC one of the main characters in Broken Age is a nonwhite lady. Other than that, i got nothing.
          The standard for game protagonists is indeed kinda depressing.

• Master Prudent says:

Supergiant’s (Bastion) next game (Transistor stars a lady. Although it turns out that it’s not coming out until early next year.

• Fluka says:

@masterprudent:disqus Yeah, I specifically didn’t include Transistor, because that’s 2014.  Which sucks, because I want it noooow!

@Marozeph:disqus Oh dang, is that finally supposed to be this year?  Yay!

• Marozeph says:

@Fluka:disqus Wikipedia says September 2013. Game design being what it is, that may of course change.

That reminds me: Is there a good yearlong release calendar for games somewhere online?

• Fluka says:

@Marozeph:disqus Hmmm, it’s hard to find something which includes both AAA and indies.  GameInformer’s got this, though it’s all major releases (I don’t see Broken Age) and not sorted by platform.  Otherwise, there’s Metacritic’s Upcoming Games list, I think?

• Marozeph says:

@Fluka:disqus Metacritics list seems serviceable, but it doesn’t seem to list many indies either.
          On the plus side, it made me remember that Beyond: Two Souls should be out this year, and that one also has a female protagonist.

• Fluka says:

@Marozeph:disqus That is true!  Though as a PC Gamer, I won’t be able to experience it…  Generally speaking, I tend to edit out PS3 and Xbox exclusives from my brain when I’m thinking of “upcoming games.”

• Bad Horse says:

See, this is why I’m just playing Mass Effect again. My current Shepard looks like Rashida Jones after 10 tours in Iraq.

4. indy2003 says:

How well does the girl capture the essence of the character Robert Pattinson so memorably created in the original 2010 film? Also, is there a dog in this game?

5. Blatherly says:

I like the look of the game, it certainly looks like it might be a promising change from genero-shooter 6000.

How linear is the game? Its clearly not an open world, but does it involve some minor choices in terms of routes, playstyle, plot or some small side quests?

Also I remember seeing some stealth in a playthrough, but it seemed to be prompted by instructions from the game. Was this scripted, or are there AI systems in place taking care of this?

6. duwease says:

Do they go into the backstory of what caused the main character’s strange condition?  A magic fountain, perhaps, or an alien race with a gender-switching ray?

7. Captain Internet says:

Do you feel the quasi-philosophical mumbling about memory and the nature of self justifies all the punching, or is it more the other way round?

8. duwease says:

Actual question:  Does the memory-replaying mechanic introduce any novel story-telling moments?  It seems to have more potential than standard in-engine cutscenes.

9. aklab says:

…and this game has nothing to do with the Christopher Pike YA novel?

10. vinnybushes says:

As a connoisseur of all things cyberpunk I have to ask, are we looking at a dark, gritty humorless Gibsonian future, or a slightly cartoonish Neal Stephenson kind of landscape? I feel like this game might take itself too seriously to have a little fun with its setting, hopefully without stinky Frenchman jokes. Ideally it would have a little bit of both.

• vinnybushes says:

Another question: Do the custom combos actually feel fluid at all? Are they even visually distinct from each other? from what little footage I’ve seen it seems like you modify their effects, but not necessarily their execution.

11. NakedSnake says:

Does the fact that I am only hearing of this game now, weeks before its release, demonstrate ignorance on my part, or a specific strategy on Capcom’s part? Are games with a short, intense marketing push the equivalent of not-screened-for-critics movies?

• vinnybushes says:

There’s been a steady trickle of previews and trailers since last august. It’s just not getting a triple A full court press.

• Simon Jones says:

It’s there. It’s just not a big game. They did a bit of a marketing push for a while based on how huge the script was but I don’t think the gaming media really bit.

I suspect it’s most just a AA release. Which is fine. I love me some AA gaming.

12. NakedSnake says:

As an aside, I’d like to say that I secretly love all the Stupid Capcom Plots. Especially Resident Evil plots, but they’re all good really. What I wonder is if they’re really trying to put together a real story, or whether (calling back to this morning’s interview), a bunch of programmers just put it together over a weekend.

• Master Prudent says:

The press has made a lot of noise about how the story was written by one of France’s more prominent SF authors, and the game was made by a studio not owned by capcom. How much of the story survived the process of making the game is another thing of course…

• NakedSnake says:

Yea, it looked pretty cheesy from that preview. Considering that your average (or even above-average) video game is about on par with a cheesy action/sci-fi movie, that might not be a bad thing.

13. HobbesMkii says:

Does that screen distortion/interference effect persist throughout the game, and does it get as tiresome as it gets in that trailer?

How many “tastefully” choreographed nude scenes are there?

How uncomfortable (or not uncomfortable) are the protagonist’s grunts while fighting people?

14. Merve says:

How does the mêlée system compare to other that of other action-adventure games, like the Batman: Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs?

Graphically, is this a good-looking game, or does it suffer from the sort of visual jankiness from which lower-budget games usually suffer?

Does the PC port have any major issues?

How long does it take to beat the game?

What’s the narrative pacing like? Does the story unfold slowly and methodically, or is it full of sudden twists and turns?

Will you go to Prom with me?

15. Spencer Greenfield says:

I was wondering how memory remixing fits in with the game. Is it a part of combat, is it a mini-game, or is it story only? If it is incorporated into the gameplay, how well does it do it?

Is there anything new that the developers bring to a potential future/cyberpunkish world (besides the memory thing) or is it essentially the same thing we’ve seen before?

16. How does it compare to Dark Souls in terms of challenge? That’s my new yardstick for entertainment value: I demand games give me a challenge on par with DS in order to consider them worthy of my monies. Or else.

Oh, and how do the combat mechanics compare to Oni in terms of complexity? I keep thinking of that little obscure masterpiece when I see this one in motion, and I think it would be nice to have a sort of “spiritual sequel” at last –and it’s pretty clear that such thing is not coming from the original developers any time soon. I like how the combos in Remember Me seem to flow, but I’m afraid it could end up being just a case of random-button-mashing-fu.

17. CrabNaga says:

Why are all “human in representation of cyberspace” segments always abyssal voids with geometric shapes strewn about? You’d think anyone that would program that sort of an interface would actually make the environments at least slightly familiar, like a peaceful beach, field, or mountain. Hell, just throw them all together at once if you want to make it seem unreal.