Here’s the lineup for next week’s edition of The Digest

By John Teti • May 17, 2013

Last month, a reader suggested that we publicize the lineup for The Digest before the videos go up so that you all can play along beforehand and bring your own experiences to the conversation. That made a hell of a lot of sense to me, so here’s what you’re going to see starting on Monday.

First up is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, the standalone spinoff to Far Cry 3 that packs a powerful, Van Damme-esque punch of ’80s action-movie nostalgia. Drew Toal reviewed Blood Dragon last month, and he’ll be joining me to dig into it some more.

On Tuesday, Anthony John Agnello will don his luchador mask—no, not really, but that would have been cool—to talk about Guacamelee!, the PlayStation-exclusive platformer that stars a Mexican wrestler beating the crap out of some no-good skeletons (as pictured above). Steve Heisler wrote our review of the game, proclaiming “Long live the Luchador!”

Finally, on Wednesday, Drew’s back to discuss Don’t Starve, a gorgeous game of wilderness survival for Mac and PC. We had to postpone this month’s Digest taping a week past its originally scheduled date, and Drew practically had a conniption, so eager was he to talk about this game. So that should be a good one. In the meantime, you can check out Joe Keiser’s review, in which he hears echoes of Germanic folklore in Don’t Starve.

29 Responses to “Here’s the lineup for next week’s edition of The Digest”

1. DrFlimFlam says:

That’s helpful since I’ve dabbled in Blood Dragon but it wasn’t a priority. I’ll get some more time in to better talk about it.

2. Cloks says:

I already played the heck out of Don’t Starve so I’m eager to talk about that.

Does that make you an eager beaver?
      Your avatar is an armored beaver, isn’t it? Because bear, dog or groundhog don’t work too well for that.

3. Girard says:

The next time Drew gets impatient with the schedule for a video feature, he should just go rogue and produce his OWN video review feature and snake it onto the site under cover of darkness. The title of this feature? Toal You So!

• DrFlimFlam says:

That is good and you should feel good.

Other video features:

John Teti’s Hot-Potaty! – John plays a game with a timer ticking in the background, and every ten seconds has to hand off the controller to another staffer, who plays for 10 seconds before handing off the controller again, etc.

Agnello’s Jello Fellows – In this Gameological  video series, Anthony John Agnello dons his famous luchador mask and engages in very physical wrestling bouts with other staffers in a kiddie pool filled with Jello.

“Hei” Times with Steve Heisler – Steve and another staffer get baked, eat shitty processed food, and play video games while acting kind of goofy. Shockingly, GS visitors just assume that the Digest has gone bi-weekly as the end result is virtually indistinguishable.

Narcisse’s Narcissism –  watch as guest panelist Evan Narcisse uses a different character-creation interface in each video to try to perfectly recreate his own features!

And much, much more…

• John Teti says:

Narcisse and I are talking about actually doing the fourth one.

That would be amazing.

(Incidentally, the “Hei” Times description isn’t a jab at the stellar quality of Digest videos so much as an acknowledgement of their wonderful silliness, in case that isn’t totally clear.)

• Hot-Potaty actually sounds like a great party game. Do load screens count towards the ten second timer? I hope they do!

• Electric Dragon says:

Ellie Hacks The Gibson – Ellie Gibson (live from London!) reviews hacking/lockpicking minigames as if they were games in their own right.

• John Teti says:

@paraclete_pizza:disqus I took no offense at all! They all made me laugh.

• DrFlimFlam says:

I’m thinking of “Petty John Teti”, wherein our hero joins multiplayer matches of co-op games like NSMB and Castle Crashers and proceeds to try to ruin it by hogging health, money, and get in people’s way. In play Kirby’s Epic Yarn, he constantly picks up and throws the other player. The challenge is to see who lasts the longest with his ridiculous behavior.

It is in no way patterned after playing games with FlimFlaim, Jr.

Toal’s Coal Role – Drew Toal takes a long, hard look at the history of fossil fuels in video games and gets his hands dirty tagging along with some real Minecraft Coal Miners.

Teti Spaghetti Betty – John Teti attempts a full course meal for his entire family cooked via the instructions in Sims 3. Can’t wait to taste that balooba shaqui zugzug.

Incidentally, this isn’t only fun, but also funny:

4. George_Liquor says:

I’m all geeked-up about Guacameelee. I’ve made it past Saucy Sorceress & On-Fire Guy so far, and I’m gonna make a mad dash to the finish tonight.

• Raging Bear says:

I may never finish it, since the last boss is incredibly infuriating, in that rare way that makes me utterly unmotivated to even try it again.

• George_Liquor says:

I can understand that; Guacameelee’s loads of fun, but it can be incredibly cheap at times. My major problem with the game is Juan’s crappy recovery time. When he gets knocked on his ass, he takes forever to get back up, and will often get knocked immediately back on his ass before you have a chance to move him.

• Chalkdust says:

Ugh, yes.  I thought I was King Awesome for finally getting past Jaguar… then I got to the last boss.

5. caspiancomic says:

I had the opportunity to meet the Guacamelee team last week, but spent the time with Capy and Droqen instead. I’d like to know if my time could have been better spent! (Starseed Pilgrim and Super Time Force were dreams come true, though.)

Also, I like the idea of getting a heads-up about Digest topics and guests. I choose to interpret this as a courtesy to Eff and her busy schedule.

6. Effigy_Power says:

With this advance warning, I may actually have the time to finally make another Digest Comic rather than just grandstandingly announcing one.

7. NakedSnake says:

I don’t normally watch video features on websites, but all this hype about the Digest is starting to make me currous. Maybe I’ll check it out.

8. Flying_Turtle says:

But what about the snacks? If I’m going to prepare, I’m going to do it right.