World Wide Web Hyperlink

Nintendo advertises new game by terrifying children

By Matt Gerardi • May 23, 2013

Today, Nintendo published what I assume some person in a suit somewhere calls a “viral video.” The clip, ostensibly an ad for the new Nintendo 3DS remake of Donkey Kong Country Returns, features footage of kids playing the game at some sort of demo event. Little do they know, Nintendo has a gorilla-shaped surprise in store for them. It’s a little weird seeing Nintendo actively trying to scare kids, but the little twerps probably had it coming. Here’s a taste of the highly rated comments the YouTube video has generated:

YouTube user asdf852asdf: “The first kid shit himself.”

Yes he did, asdf852asdf. Yes he did.

33 Responses to “Nintendo advertises new game by terrifying children”

1. Merve says:

That’s a lot of torn posters.

2. lokimotive says:

That was weak sauce Nintendo. Allen Funt is spinning in his grave.

3. boardgameguy says:

no matter how hard Donkey Kong tries, he just doesn’t have the same effect as Kool-aid Man

4. Xyvir says:

You dare inflict horrible YouTube comments in this sacred place, Gerardi?!??! If I wanted to read YouTube comments (and I don’t) I would go watch YouTube videos!

That being said, it is a pretty funny comment.

5. NakedSnake says:

So if I never played Donkey Kong on the SNES, will DKC 3DS fill that gap in my gaming knowledge?

6. Aurora Boreanaz says:

Forget the YouTube comments, the comment by the guy in the video takes the cake for being the dumbest.

“I’m like, sitting there playing the game, minding my own business, and then out of nowhere comes Donkey Kong in 3D which was really cool!”

Yes.  It was so fucking cool to have Donkey Kong IN 3D (what other people might call REALITY, or maybe YOU HAVE TWO EYES) come OUT OF NOWHERE (through a fucking poster).

“Hey, check out this sandwich I’m eating!  It’s totally in 3D, and came out of nowhere, or rather the Subway next door!  I can’t wait to drive my actual reality car from work to home so I can check out more stuff in 3D!”

• The_Misanthrope says:

Long-term usage of the 3DS may lead to the loss of the ability to distinguish reality from fantasy.  Also headaches.

• John Teti says:

We also have been laughing about that at Gameological HQ this afternoon. So bizarre.

• George_Liquor says:

I dig the guy who envies Donkey Kong’s barrel-throwing occupation. Keep chasing that rainbow, man!

• DrFlimFlam says:

We had the exact same conversation at the FlimFlam household. I’m guessing Nintendo did as well. Too good not to out this guy as referring to life being in three dimensions and how that surprised him.

• Burgerthyme says:

“The graphics were amazing! Almost life-like!”

7. The_Misanthrope says:

Kids are easy to scare.  My friend’s 7-yr-old daughter is a seasoned Minecraft pro at this point, but she still screams like, well, a little girl whenever a Creeper sneaks up on her.

I yelped and then laughed the last time a Creeper killed me…

I had a well-lit castle built next to a mining shaft that went straight down to bedrock, dug by the Buildcraft mining rigs.  I surrounded it with a fence to prevent accidental falls.

When night fell, I decided to go up to the roof and pick off some zombies with my bow.  Somehow, despite torches set every four squares throughout the tower, a Creeper made it onto the roof and blew up right behind me, flinging me into the mine shaft…and I fell to the bedrock and went SPLAT.

That was one of maybe three times I actually died in Minecraft.  Immediately afterward I covered the shaft with a window.

• Chalkdust says:

How about this one?  More commercials for things aimed at kids need to channel scenes from R-rated movies.

• George_Liquor says:

Oh shit, it’s Mr. Creosote!

how about this ad referencing Porky’s?

• uselessyss says:

A comment from that video:

“Does this fat ass sheeple even care that the food he is eating is spliced with genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?
        It’s the American mentality like the one displayed in this commercial the reason why Barrack Obama got a 2nd term for the presidency. And it’s the reason why cancer rates have more than tripled within the last 5 years.”

The background of his profile page features Heath Ledger as the Joker.

more blurred T-shirts than a early 90’s rap video

9. Girard says:

Out of curiosity, I hit the little “3D Options” button provided by Youtube at the bottom. The result was an insane psychedilc visual bombardment where seemingly unrelated red and cyan images were superimposed over the video in a way that I’m POSITIVE would not actually work.

10. DrFlimFlam says:

I saw this while viewing recommended videos after checking out the latest Animal Crossing New Leaf fluff peace.

It was awesome.

11. KingGunblader says:

“Donkey Kong is my hero.”

…What? I just don’t… what?