World Wide Web Hyperlink

By John Teti • May 24, 2013

The Sweden-based boutique studio Might And Delight released a trailer this week for their upcoming work, Shelter. It’s a game about woodland varmints that looks promising. Even in this unfinished state, the game has an alluring sense of motion to it. From the first moments of the clip above, I was drawn in by the way the animals rustle through the weeds. And don’t tell me your heart doesn’t break a little when that bird swoops down to pick off one of the baby badgers—at least, I think they’re badgers. (The ending is pretty terrifying, too.) Might And Delight made a name for themselves last year with the pretty platformer Pid, and this new project, with the critters and the nature and whatnot, looks like an intriguing follow-up.

10 Responses to “Judging by this new trailer for Shelter, it might end up being the best badger-based game ever”

1. Fluka says:

Ohmigosh, I was hoping someone would post this!  This game looks fantastic.  I’m surprised that the notion of “mother guarding her young” hasn’t been used more in gaming.  (Um, given the industry’s well known proclivities, I’m actually not surprised.  But it *should* be used more often!)

That said, this game might be too intense for me, given that I audibly went “NOOOOOOOOOOOO” when the hawk swooped in. D:

• NakedSnake says:

I think the mother [or father] guarding their young thing works well in movies and books because of its primal urgency but it gaming it comes up against a difficult obstacle: they are mostly escort missions. This game looks pretty damn cool, but if it is one long escort mission (“stay here” … “follow me” … “stay here” etc.) then you can count me out. But yea, looking back, I don’t know if I can think of an actual example of a mother who is a main character in a game (*ignoring Offspring Fling). So that’s kind of sad.

If you were a male lion, you could “protect” your young by eating them if you got too frustrated.

This could also happen if you were a female hamster.

• Bakken Hood says:

Lions don’t eat their own young, they eat lioness’s young by other males to bring them back into estrus and obtain mating opportunities for themselves.

I can vouch for the hamster one, though.

@Bakken_Hood:disqus Who are you? The Lion Inspector? Don’t come in here with your facts and ruin my jokes.

“I don’t think mothers have enough penises for people to be able identify with them as protagonists. Let’s workshop this idea and try and turn it into something usable!”

2. mizerock says:

I found it a bit over the top when, later in the game, the mother badger confronted the hawk while wearing a powered exoskeleton and yelling Ellen Ripley’s famous line from “Aliens”.

3. boardgameguy says:

that SPOILERS! fire looked pretty horrific too END SPOILERS

4. Eco1970 says:

Ico managed to make an entire game (SPOILERALERTmost of it anywaySPOILEROVER) an escort mission and still be awesome.

5. DrZaloski says:

Goddammit, those cute, sad little whimpers might just be too much more me.

At least it’ll be fun to make fun of PETA once they inevitably attack this game on the grounds of pretend animal cruelty or some shit.