World Wide Web Hyperlink

By Matt Kodner • May 30, 2013

One of the best ways to ensure that a film will look dated is to feature whatever technology is hot at the time. Any character with a cell phone that isn’t a smartphone might as well be in an adaptation of Captain Caveman. So it brings me great joy to see that the supercut-loving folks at Slacktory put together a 20-minute montage of video games in film. Some of the more recent stuff, like the first-person shooter in Shaun Of The Dead or Tony Stark’s Galaga joke in The Avengers, isn’t terribly interesting, but the entire reel is chock full of supremely dated arcade scenes ranging all the way back to the ’70s.

For me, the best clips are the schmaltzy, doomed-to-be-forgotten comedies of the ’80s. There are practically enough poorly lit actors pretending to be interested in video games to form their own union of disinterested, but like, totally willing to commit to the scene actors. Plus, if you stick around long enough, you’ll get to hear Steve Martin intone, “Aww, well, they’re bad dudes. That’s why they call the game Bad Dudes.” And who doesn’t love Bad Dudes? [Via Complex]

14 Responses to “This supercut of video games in movies will either feel old or make you feel old”

1. Girard says:

“Any character with a cell phone that isn’t a smartphone might as well be in an adaptation of Captain Caveman.”

Well, I’m already hairy as hell, but when do I get my cape? Also, and I know fidelity is a concern, but I’m worried that my running around in nothing but a leopard-skin cape with a team of crime-solving “teen angels” might be skeevy as hell.

• George_Liquor says:

Would that really be so bad? I mean, who needs Google Maps when you have a flying club?

2. Sam_Barsanti says:

“the first-person shooter inShaun Of The Dead”

Time Splitters 2! Loved that game.

• Matt Kodner says:

Didn’t recognize it from the clip, but hot damn! That, Nightfire, and mini Home Run Inn pizzas were my bread and butter (and pizzas).

3. Andy Tuttle says:

“Just point and click!”

4. boardgameguy says:

i watched this whole thing to see if they’d have the clip of Sean Connery as James Bond playing the villain in a video game from Never Say Never Again, only it name checked in the honorable mention. that’s 20 minutes of my life i wish i had back

5. ChicaneryTheYounger says:

Monster House! Now, that is a unfairly forgotten kids movie. “Killer Slinkies!”;
    “So it’s a girl house!”;
    “We’re arresting you for trespassing, breaking and entering-” “AND TREASON!”

6. lokimotive says:

I watched the whole thing hoping to see that scene from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

7. Uncle Roundy says:

As corny as the Jackie Chan clip was, it’s kind of amazing that it got every single detail right. The Ken expy wore a red gi; he was American-looking with long blond hair; the correct stage music was playing; and the Hurricane Kick had the correct corresponding sound effect. That level of attention to detail merits at the very least a golf clap.

What movie is that, anyway?

8. DrFlimFlam says:

No mention of Big at all?

9. Jason R. says:

No Suburban Commando?  Or Toys?  For shame.