PSA

The Last Of Us

We want your questions about The Last Of Us

By Matt Gerardi • June 6, 2013

It seems like just yesterday we asked for your questions about Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Well, today we’re wondering what you lot would like to know about The Last Of Us, the latest game from the Uncharted makers at Naughty Dog. John Teti will pose our favorite questions to Ellie Gibson, whose full review will be running next week.

So, what do you want to know about The Last Of Us?

53 Responses to “We want your questions about The Last Of Us

1. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

The game is getting positive feedback for creating a moody, pensive post-apocalypse. Where there is a real urgency to survival and killing, while necessary, is not to be taken lightly.
       Does the game maintain this tone through the end?  Or does everything built in the first half fall away into a bombastic mushroom-zombie climax as seems mandated by this type of experience?

2. PaganPoet says:

I remember a gameplay trailer for this game, in which the two main characters come across some looters. Eventually, it came to the point where Joel had to kill one of the looters for his and Ellie’s own safety. The killing itself came across as very brutal, ugly, and horrible. It struck me as quite different from Uncharted, where killing is treated very flippantly, as just a gameplay mechanic. Does that feeling of dread for killing someone maintain in the final product? Does the game eventually become an outright murderfest, or does it remain an awful thing to do until the end?

• Chalkdust says:

Adding onto this, how possible is it to avoid confrontation?  And, if you do get into an altercation, is it then a kill-or-die situation, or can you escape?

3. Citric says:

Two questions:
    Does it do any Uncharted-style wave after wave of men shooting gallery sections? I hate those.

Any references to Matango, my personal favorite mushroom zombie people movie?

4. The_Helmaroc_King says:

Are there any ham-handed title drops?
    Is there any particular significance to the title, other than the obvious?

Not planning on picking this one up, but I’m curious.

• Chalkdust says:

In the game universe, “The Last of Us” is actually the brand of a popular soft drink.

(I made that up.)

• PaganPoet says:

I know it’s no longer in vogue to quote Family Guy and hasn’t been for years, but that was actually one of my favorite laugh out loud moments of the series.

“That’s why I must become Superman IV: The Quest for Peace!”
      “Ohhhhh, so THAT’s why they call it that!”

5. ocelotfox says:

How does The Last of Us compare to other television and movie depictions of characters in apocalyptic settings?

6. Girard says:

My really intelligent question, which I ask everytime I see a news story about this game:

Wait – is this that game with Ellen Paige in it? Or is that something different?

• I get this game, Beyond: Two Souls (the Ellen Page game) and Remember Me completely confused.

The game does star Ashley Johnson, known for playing Bennet Ahmed’s pregnant wife in The Killing.

That’s right, I just reminded y’all of The Killing. I’m sure there’s a special place in hell for me.

• Toparaman says:

Adding to the confusion, this is also the second game this year where a hardened, morally-ambiguous man has to escort a smart-but-naive teenage girl.

My desire to pun is working at odds with my desire not to be a loathsome human being. Maybe encasing my words in scare quotes will take the curse off:

“I’d certainly have no trouble being ‘hardened’ if Ellen Page hired me to provide morally-ambiguous ‘escort’ services! Up top, bro-ski!”

• SamPlays says:

Are you referring to Taken Tag Tournament?

• Marijn Lems says:

…AND both hardened, morally-ambiguous men are voiced by the same actor!

7. Chip Dipson says:

Do you feel that the controls for the game immerse you in the story, or does it rely too much on “push triangle now!” type quick-time events?

Also: Does the game have any crates?

8. Jackbert says:

All of Naughty Dog’s previous games have been action-platformers, while The Last of Us is supposedly stealth-oriented. Does Naughty Dog handle this gameplay transition well, or does the stealth feel clunky?

The central relationship of this game is obviously between Joel and Ellie, which begins with Joel agreeing to help Ellie travel across the country. Do they interact often enough for their relationship to truly develop, or does it still feel like a business transaction?

9. George_Liquor says:

In this game, is there a humongous fungus among us?

Also, is this march across the US one long escort mission, I sincerely hope not?

10. duwease says:

Gameplay-wise, how does it deviate from Uncharted?

11. ToddG says:

If a hypothetical video game enthusiast only had time to play one retail-length game this month, should it be this one or Remember Me, in your estimation?
    Also, feel free to weigh in with your thoughts, commentariat.  I am having a great deal of trouble deciding.  Er, I mean, the hypothetical enthusiast may or may not be.

As much as I liked Remember Me, if you have a good gaming PC, you could probably wait until the end of the year for a Steam sale, when I estimate it’ll be retailing for around $12.50.

• Simon Jones says:

Remember me is also really, really, really, really short.

Like….maybe 8 hours if you’re slow about it.

12. IntotheNightSky says:

Does the player have any hand in shaping the relationship between the two characters?

13. HobbesMkii says:

Zombies: have they been done to death?

How would you compare this to the stealth-based games that have been in the market for the past couple of years (i.e. Dishonored, Assassin’s Creed, etc.)?

14. mbaren says:

I’m not really an FPS guy – more RPG, occasional more action-y games. While I know Last of Us isn’t an FPS, I can’t help but get the sense that it would appeal more to FPS-oriented folks. I’m tempted to pick this up, because it looks very well done, but I’d prefer not to buy something where I just don’t mesh with the gameplay.  Can you suggest other games it’s like in terms of the actual gameplay?

15. KingGunblader says:

How deep does customization go? I know you can carry upgrades over to a NG+, but just how many levels of badass can Joel be taken to?

16. Professor_Cuntburglar says:

Does the game merit the universal acclaim it’s getting, or is this a case of “Bioshock Infinite Syndrome,” where game reviewers have such a low bar for reviewing games that any game that is pretty and is actually trying to do something vaguely new gets a 10?

Does killing have appropriate weight?

17. anachronautics says:

Is the AI as impressive as videos seem to demonstrate, or is this another bait and switch relying more on environmental triggers and scripting?

18. neodocT says:

How tightly scripted is the game? Is it absolutely linear, like the Uncharted series, or does the game offer any options of exploration, even if limited, like the exploration in the new Tomb Raider?

19. indy2003 says:

I’ve heard a bit about Joel having rather shaky hands during combat sequences. Is this an artistic choice which adds to the effectiveness of the game, or does it only serve to make the combat frustrating? Or both?

20. Aurora Boreanaz says:

How does the relationship between Joel and Ellie compare to the one between Lee and Clemetine in The Walking Dead?  Does Ellie feel like a fully realized character, or more of a sidekick who occasionally does something useful?

21. Jer Link says:

I heard this game was set in Pittsburgh, but reading these comments seems to point out that it is more a a cross country thing, but I will go with my original question:

Does the game adequately reflect the horrid way in which transportation systems were designed in Pittsburgh?

I remember when I first moved to Pittsburgh, sometimes I’d ask someone for directions, and they’d say stuff like “Honestly, I don’t think you can get there from here.”

However, something tells me Ellie is not an expert on Pittsburgh…

• mizerock says:

When they get around to making handheld holographic 3D maps, Pittsburgh residents will be the biggest beneficiaries. We’re only a few hundred feet away from where we want to be! … but 800 feet above it.

22. Toparaman says:

Is there ludonarrative dissonance in this game?  If so, how glaringly obvious is it?  (Is it as bad as RDR or GTA IV, where your supposedly reformed character is needlessly killing hundreds just to track down one guy?)

23. Ellie, how disconcerting is it to play a game where Ellie is a main character’s name?  How many canned shouts of ‘Ellie!! Hurry!’ appear in the game, and how much do they make you want to die?

24. Phillip Collector says:

My question is: Where’s the completely underwhelmed review of The Last of Us? Oh next week? Never mind.

25. OrangeLazarus says:

Will this hold any appeal to people who get stressed out with survival and stealth gameplay? I can deal usually deal with one of those but combining them seems like too much.

26. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Is it bad that I really want to hate the shit out of this game because of that time they showed it at E3 and everyone was cheering when the guy brutally murdered another guy?

If I could separate the two things from each other, this game looks like it could be really cool, like The Road or something utterly depressing like that. But instead whenever grizzly violence happens i’d just think of gamebros being all “that was sick dude! kill that fucker! yeah!”

How long do you expect it to be before nothing is enjoyable ever?

• Chalkdust says:

See, I’ll categorize that as (just yet another) reason to hate E3 and, more specifically, gamer dude bros.

• Simon Jones says:

If it helps, you can also think of smug Gamasutra articles tutt tutting at people cheering at the horrible violence.

• Toparaman says:

Kotaku’s review featured an endlessly looping GIF of a guy getting his head bashed in.  That made me groan.

Fwiw, Naughty Dog definitely didn’t intend for the violence to be cathartic. So don’t hate the game, hate the gamebros.

27. SamPlays says:

Why is Gameological the last of us to review this game? No wait, let me rephrase that: If you’ve read The Road by Cormac McCarthy while thinking about 28 Days Later, do you need to play The Last of Us?

28. lokanoth says:

Is there any reason not to wait a few months till it’s 30% off?

• SamPlays says:

More specifically, is there any reason not to wait a year or two till it’s $19.99 (or 2 for $30)?