PSA

Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger

Here’s the lineup for next week’s edition of The Digest

By John Teti • June 20, 2013

This month’s Digest was delayed by all the E3 festivities, but don’t worry, the chat-’n’-chew tradition continues. Here’s the lineup if you’d like to play along.

First up, Drew Toal comes by to talk about Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger (pictured above), a cool downloadable spinoff to the Call Of Juarez western series.

Next, Samantha Nelson is in town to talk about a couple of indie games from May. The first is Reus, a God game with some unusual twists on the civilization-building template.

And finally, Sam and I will discuss Ballpoint Universe, the half-platformer, half-shoot-’em-up whose universe, true to the title, is composed almost entirely from notebook doodles. (Anthony John Agnello reviewed Ballpoint Universe last month.)

33 Responses to “Here’s the lineup for next week’s edition of The Digest”

1. NEXT WEEK?  You tease!

2. HobbesMkii says:

Is there a full Reus review coming at some point?

• Hobbes, I bugged ya on Steam about Reus when you were first playing, are you still into it?  It looks good but I haven’t seen any reviews from publications I like.

• duwease says:

I’m still playing it and digging it a lot.  It’s got enough depth that you could spend a long time optimizing things, but at the same time if you just want to discover things you have that leverage.

• Is the gameplay built around discrete levels or does the world keep expanding?  What do you mean by ‘discover’ things?

• duwease says:

@httplovecraft:disqus : You start with the same round world every time, but you unlock progressively longer play sessions (“Eras”) as you accomplish certain goals in the shorter sessions.  You also unlock new buildings and animals and plants and minerals and such to experiment with.  Plus the developments made by the human tribes each time are somewhat random, so you have to build differently to optimize the output for them.  So far I haven’t gotten bored, and I’ve just finished unlocking the first two tiers of unlocks.

As @duwease:disqus says, it’s complicated enough that you can work towards achieving specific goals, but simple enough that you can also twaddle if you’d like. It starts at 30 minute sandboxes, then moves to 60 minute, then lets you play 2 hours at a time. You can also play an endless world, but you’re not able to unlock anything when you do that, so I haven’t done it yet.

That said, I haven’t played it in a while, as I felt like I hit a plateau where I wasn’t able to properly control my villages without having them attack me.

• Hmm, that sounds interesting, your ‘subjects’ can attack you if you don’t provide for them?

Same issue here. The pace at which you feel like you’re making stuff happen grinds to a screeching halt a few hours in and I haven’t been able to do much since then. I’d love to blame game-testing for this (since I’ve seen this happen in other games too), but I think I am just having a hard time thinking outside the box in this game.

@httplovecraft:disqus Yeah. As you grow villages, they become more ambitious and feel as though they’re owed stuff and then begin to war against the gods. The only way to stop them is to kill the mobs that attack or threaten the village (unfortunately, I haven’t figured out a way of threatening the village without destroying it outright).

@Effigy_Power:disqus That’s exactly how I feel. I feel like it might be related in some way to the danger mechanic (which I’ve never really understood), but I can’t figure out how to make it work without them attacking (and destroying) the dangerous animal.

• Hmm, good feedback from @HobbesMkii:disqus  and @duwease:disqus , I think I might buy into this one, I like god games that can be played in smaller chunks without turning me into an addicted thrall.

Yes, being a god requires a constant awareness of what the bags of meat you create actually want, but without letting them kill each other.

And then this game… oy!

3. Jer Link says:

Good line-up! all three of these games have been on my to-eventually-check-out-in-further-depth list.

4. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

-Best facial hair in a Western-

I’m going to say Val Kilmer’s Doc Holiday mustache and goatee, or Warren Beatty’s indifferently cultivated beard from McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

Either Lee Van Cleef’s mustache in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or Robert Redford’s mustache in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I also like Henry Fonda’s sideburns in Once Upon A Time In Mexico

• NakedSnake says:

Lee Van Cleef forever. But the question is, which is better: LVC from For a Few Dollars More, or LVC from the Good the Bad and the Ugly?

5. Effigy_Power says:

What the hell kind of lineup is this (artistically speaking)?
    How am I supposed to craft Soupy-bait from this?
    DON’T YOU CARE AT ALL?

PS: Srlsy, this looks like a tricky one, unless you eat something extraordinarily unique. There better be some Fry-soup and Laurie-broth upcoming.

Draw everyone in cowboy hats riding giant ballpoint pens like horses.  BOOM!  Done!  That first one’s free.

6. Andy Tuttle says:

I have a genuine interest in playing the new Call of Juarez game, so much so that it is number one on my Steam wishlist *cough-cough*.

Someone buy this for me.

7. Chalkdust says:

But what will you be eating???

What if I want to eat along at home?

8. NakedSnake says:

For your consideration, Black Thought/Tariq raps about the life of Mario to the Mario theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tEuDcXPsISY#t=00m27s