World Wide Web Hyperlink

By Matt Gerardi • June 5, 2013

You should probably watch the video up there. Done? Okay. Now, I’m no flipbook connoisseur, but I think I can safely say, HOLY SHIT THAT’S AMAZING. I can’t even imagine how much tedious work it would take to put that thing together. That flipbook, illustrating three rounds of a fight from Mortal Kombat 3, was put together by a YouTube user known as Etoilec1. If you give their YouTube channel a visit, you’ll find about a dozen more amazing flipbook videos, mostly of fights between characters from the various Dragon Ball series. I found my way to the YouTube page by way of some GIFs of the Mortal Kombat book that are getting passed around the web. You can nab those here if soundless, eternal, digital flipbooks are more your speed.

And, while I don’t care for the song, here’s a video that was not created by Etoilec1 but features their flipbook. It mashes up “Gangnam Style” with the flipbook rendition of the famous music video. The synchronization at the one-minute mark pretty much blew my mind.

7 Responses to “Flipbook master recreates three rounds of Mortal Kombat in bloody animated sketches”

1. Effigy_Power says:

I say… time well wasted.
    (That’s a compliment, you cynical, cynical people.)

I always wonder when I watch Spike and Mike’s twisted animation -or something similar, how a creator is able to retain interest in a gag all the way through the creation process.
         I’m usually sick of my idea by the time I finish one drawing -much less five thousand of them.

2. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

I think it’s a shame people feel they have to fill their flip books with such violence. I just watched flipbook Jean de Florette and it was so much more emotionally devastating than any Sharpie dismembered leg bludgeoning.

• Electric Dragon says:

You should see the flipbook version of Derek Jarman’s Blue.

• zebbart says:

But if we don’t confront the darkest depths of humanity in flip books then we will be forced to confront it on the battle field or in the darkened alley.

• Chalkdust says:

Flip-books are just going through the growing pains any new medium endures.  Secular music, serialized fiction, film, comic books, video games, etc.  Before long, academics and pundits will be engaging in the inevitable discussion of “are flip-books art?”