News Item

PlayStation 4

You’ll be able to own the parallelepiped PlayStation 4 for $400

By John Teti • June 11, 2013

Sony concluded its E3 press conference with the announcement that the PlayStation 4 will go on sale for $400, which is $100 less than the Xbox One. That was only the final blow that Sony dealt to Microsoft at the event, which had its slow moments but was an excellent show overall. Sony also told players that the PlayStation 4 will maintain the status quo on used game discs (unlike the Xbox One), and the console won’t “phone home” every day to make sure you’re not a criminal (as the Xbox One will).

PlayStation 4 front

Monday night also marked the first time that we got to see what the PlayStation 4 looks like: It looks like an Xbox One that sneezed really hard. There was much debate in our Sony press conference liveblog over the shapes created by the PS4’s slant. If you are wondering, the side faces are parallelograms, and the 3D form is a parallelepiped. (This is technically true of the Xbox One, too—and of any box—but let’s not get into that.) Directly above, you see it from the front. Here it is from the side:

PlayStation 4 side

And the back:

PlayStation 4 back

It’s a nice-looking machine, although the angles make the size of the thing hard to discern (a purposeful illusion, I’d imagine). I said on Monday that I hoped Sony’s design might provide an elegant contrast to the Xbox One. Instead, it might be even more harsh than Microsoft’s monolithic VCR design. But it looks futuristic in a way that the PlayStation 3 could never quite manage. The PS3 Slim—the most appealing of the three PS3 designs—was not so much attractive as it was inoffensive. From the looks of it, the PS4 makes its presence felt, just as Sony did last night.

34 Responses to “You’ll be able to own the parallelepiped PlayStation 4 for $400”

1. Merve says:

I applaud you, John, for getting your polyhedra straight and for managing to spell parallelepiped correctly.

2. Marozeph says:

Any word on the price in Europe? (I guess it’s 400€, but i like to be sure.)

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

The slide at their conference showed the price at $400, €400, or £350.

• Marozeph says:

Ah, thanks. It’s not nice that Europe has to pay more (400€ ~ 530$) but it wasn’t really different in the past. IIRC the first XBox had a starting price of 479€.

What would be the actual prices of direct conversion assuming 400USD is the baseline:

I’m sorry, Europe. We do awful things to you.

• AngryRaisins says:

I’m guessing that the quoted European prices include sales tax, though, so they’d be around 15-20% higher than the above.  Still a difference, but a smaller one.

@AngryRaisins:disqus Is that a safe guess? I don’t actually know how European sales taxes generally work. Does the list price generally include the tax? That pretty much never happens in the US.

• AngryRaisins says:

@HobbesMkii:disqus – I’m not sure if it’s universally true (it certainly is the case for the UK) but I’m pretty sure it’s generally the norm in Europe.

• The_Horse_Chestnut says:

For some strange reason it’s being priced all the way up to NZ$650 (about NZ$140 more than a direct conversion), which I guess is still better than the XBox’s NZ$750.

3. caspiancomic says:

It sort of looks like two PS2 slims have been glued together, but what the hell, I’m on board. I never really liked the PS3’s curvier design, although I grew accustomed to it eventually. Also, it looks like the way of the future is to go half shiny black, half matte black.

As for the price: I’m ’bout it. So ’bout it I’m partially considering buying a console at launch for the first time since the Dreamcast. Once we know for sure what’s going to be out at launch, that’s when I’ll know. Otherwise, I might just wait for FFXV and/or KHIII.

• George_Liquor says:

Here’s a friendly bit of advice from someone who’s owned a red-ringed X360, a disc-gouging PS2 and a PS1 that would only work upside-down: Never buy a console at launch!

• caspiancomic says:

Hahaha, I remember the upside-down PS1 thing! I had to do that with mine!

Maybe I’ll give it a year…

• Raging Bear says:

Although, as a counterexample, my launch PS3 only died last October after 6.5 years of near-constant use and 3 ocean crossings in checked luggage.

@Raging_Bear:disqus: Not to mention the semi-regular bear attacks.

4. Professor_Cuntburglar says:

Yeah, it looks cool, but man its gonna be annoying for us OCD types when we try to make it fit in a rectangular shelf.

5. Chris Hansen says:

Ooh, lots of fan space in the back. Hopefully that’ll help prevent any sort of heating issues.

• Is anybody else’s PS3 Slim smoltering (not a word) hot after an hour of play?  Even less if it’s off a disk.

• George_Liquor says:

Mine will overheat & glitch out if it gets anything less than optimum airflow, so it has to hang out by itself on the very edge of my TV stand. I have to route cables away from its rear to keep hot air from backing up against it, too. I guess that’s a common problem with slims.

6. I’m not buying one at launch, but probably after the first price drop.

7. duwease says:

Welp, guess I’m getting a PS4 then.  I’m a bit disappointed that my Dance Central days are over..

8. beema says:

Sony just hosted their very own red wedding:

9. uselessyss says:

It’s the blue stripe on the front that makes it for me. It screams “console from the future.”

10. grovberg says:

It’s fascinating to see all the design cues meant to convey “the future” from the 80’s are coming back around. At this rate, EPCOT’s going to look modern again.

11. Greyman says:

Personally, I’m still waiting for a Mouth of Madness non-euclidean terrorlellogram.  But this is nice too.  And under $500 on day 1 is a nice touch as well.