Sawbuck Gamer

American Dream

Mr. T-Bill

In American Dream, celebrities are the one commodity you can always bank on.

By Drew Toal • June 25, 2013

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap game ($10 or less).

A cynic’s view of the American Dream would go something like this: Make money. Buy stuff. Make more money. Buy more/more expensive stuff. I don’t doubt that the majority of Americans would throw their sweet granny under the Acela Express train from DC to New York if it meant they could reap a windfall. And who can blame them? It would be Bentleys for everybody and floor seats at the Garden, forever. Unfortunately, the only even semi-reliable path to the gilded life is through the stock market, and the workings of today’s sophisticated financial instruments are inscrutable.

Stephen Lavelle’s American Dream simplifies the process. You play a low-level Wall Street guy who must each day buy and sell among 10 different commodities, from Mr. T and Bill Cosby to Madonna and Michael Jackson. Their values change day-to-day, and depending on how you play, you can upgrade your apartment and lifestyle with your earnings. I cleaned up when Sylvester Stallone bottomed out and Max Headroom rallied, and I pimped out my lair accordingly. I didn’t even have to crash the economy to do it.

10 Responses to “Mr. T-Bill”

1. Aurora Boreanaz says:

YES!  I played this game a year or two ago, and wanted to replay it, but lost the link and couldn’t remember what the name was.  Thanks!

2. Merve says:

This game is kind of pointless. There doesn’t seem to be any logic to which celebrities increase/decrease in value when and by how much. In a way, it’s kind of like the actual stock market!

• Zach_Annon says:

There is a kind of logic to it, from what I saw; stocks tend to hover around a certain price range, yo-yoing around the average from turn to turn.  It was enough of a pattern for me, at least, to win in about 10-15 minutes. It was a fun little diversion.

• HammettDammit says:

Yeah, MJ bottoms out at around $4800 and maxes out at around $8000, so once I could afford a full 50 stocks of that I just followed the pattern to sweet sweet cash.

Although at one point it told me to buy Stallone and I wasn’t sure what was going on so I only bought 10 stocks and then it went up like $700. I could have made $28,000 more :(

3. Chris Kopcow says:

Yeah this was a surprisingly fun game. I found it 2 years ago, and

4. George_Liquor says:

Hey all. A sequel to Trader Of Stories, one of the pre-Gameological  Sawbuck Gamer features, came out not too long ago. It’s every bit as gorgeous and melancholic as its predecessor.—a-grain-of-truth/

5. boardgameguy says:

well, that just wasted 20 minutes

6. B.K. says:

I always wondered what the makers of Drug War were doing nowadays.

7. Chris Hansen says:

Ahh! I lost all my money investing in Rick Astley and Blondie! Damn you!

8. Eric Mill says:

So it’s clear – this was a collaboration between Terry Cavanagh, Stephen Lavelle, and Tom Morgan-Jones. I don’t think any of them consider themselves the primary author.