Out This Week

Game & Wario

Wario Ensemble

In this week’s new releases, Nintendo solves its Wii U game shortage, and players get to join a motorcycle gang.

By Drew Toal • June 25, 2013

Out This Week is a look at a few new games that are out this week.

Company Of Heroes 2
PC—June 25

Let me tell you about a real company of heroes. Back in the mid-’90s, I was experimenting with different methods of attack in Red Alert, the iconic strategy game from the makers of Command & Conquer. One of my less effective stratagems involved something I later referred to as “Man Force”: a giant battalion made exclusively of simple infantrymen. My opponent’s Mammoth Tanks would be no match for their sheer grit, I thought. And I was right. Man Force met their end not by way by tank treads, but when their location was discovered and a nuke was dropped directly on top of them. None survived.

Deadpool
PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—June 25

The character of Deadpool was done a gross disservice when Ryan Reynolds was cast as “The Merc With A Mouth” in the 2009 Wolverine movie. Deadpool has had some incredible moments, perhaps none more than the time he referenced Street Fighter II right before sending Kitty Pride clear into the sky with a “shoryuken” uppercut. On second thought, maybe Van Wilder was the right bro for the role.

Game & Wario
Wii U—June 23

Congratulations, Nintendo. You’ve made me eat my harsh words from last week by releasing a game that is actually 16 games and plays on the Wii U gamepad. I also applaud the inscrutable title.

Ride To Hell: Retribution
PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360—June 25

When leather-clad biker squadrons roar past my apartment window, setting off car alarms and drowning out the Eagles game, I often find myself wondering if it’s true what Homer Simpson once said—that nobody can defeat a motorcycle gang. Because I’m pretty sure Galactus could defeat a pretty sizable motorcycle gang, as could pro wrestling’s Hart Foundation, circa 1990. On the other hand, the shotgun-wielding maniac in this game’s trailer certainly makes a compelling argument for the bikers.

64 Responses to “Wario Ensemble”

• Dave Dalrymple says:

It won’t be the same without the gun-handle ball release.

• mizerock says:

I would like to Kickstart a project that allows me to play these pinball games on my 50″ TV turned sidewise.

But, in the meantime, I’m in for adding another classic table to the already existing version of the game.

1. Dave Dalrymple says:

I don’t exactly know what an “Ouya” is, but it’s apparently been released today at retail.

• Mr. Glitch says:

You’ve just demonstrated the Ouya’s biggest hurdle: Nobody knows what the damn thing is, since it didn’t come from a big-name electronics company.

Incidentally, it’s a Kickstarter-funded game console running a custom Android distro. It’s cheap at $99, but who knows if it’ll ever catch on with the mainstream.

• WaxTom says:

It’s great for playing emulated SNES and N64 games on!

But other then that, yeah, not much interesting content on it.

• neodocT says:

I know what the Ouya is, but I don’t quite get it. It seems to only play cheap phone games that are already available on phones, but on the TV. Aside from its use as a cool emulator machine (which is swell, but something I can do on my PC), what’s the point?

• Citric says:

I don’t think it’s potent enough for PS2 though, and that’s what I really want. Mostly for Front Mission 5 fan translation, partially just in case my PS2 starts on fire.

• Mr. Glitch says:

I love the idea of an ‘indie’ game console, but you’re right; I think the Ouya is a product without a market.

• neodocT says:

@Mr_Glitch:disqus I agree that an indie console seems like a cool idea. The problem is that it seems we already have one, and it’s called a PC.

I’m afraid I’m not seeing the OUYA’s differentiator right now. I’m all for breaking the console’s hegemony, though, so I do hope to be proven wrong on this.

• Dave Dalrymple says:

It looks like a neat oddity. It will probably never be more than a box for indie games (and pirated games), but I hope it succeeds at that.

• They just released You Don’t Know Jack for the Ouya, which made the li’l 3-inch box about a thousand times more playable for me overnight. It plays exactly like the console version from a couple years ago, except you can use your smartphone as a controller if you don’t have enough (you can also pair your PS3 or 360 controllers with the Ouya in a matter of minutes). The episode they give you for free was unfamiliar to me, so I think it was new. Haven’t bought the additional 20 episodes yet, so I’m not sure how much of it is recycled content. I’d love if it got regular updates akin to the Facebook/iOS version.

2. lokimotive says:

This is the first I’ve heard of both Deadpool and the Deadpool game. It looks like it would be astonishingly obnoxious.

It could go either way.  To me, it looks somewhat amusing, at least as far as the fourth-wall breakage goes.

And how DARE you, Drew!  Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool, though only onscreen for five minutes, had the best lines in The Wolverine!  It was only after they made him a mute spazzy mess that he sucked.  I would much rather Reynolds play Deadpool than Green Lantern again.

• SonjaMinotaur says:

I love Deadpool and hate Ryan Reynolds… and I still think Ryan Reynolds was (is? would be?) a great Deadpool.

I totally almost bought this game at Target this morning. Then I thought better of it. But I will probably succumb by the weekend.

• A few months back, Ryan Reynolds was interviewed about how the Deadpool movie is coming along. I particularly liked this bit:

“In the current iteration of the script, it doesn’t address Wolverine – though it does address Deadpool’s appearance in Wolverine. Deadpool was not happy with Deadpool inWolverine. He has a sort of a WTF!? moment with that. The script is one rewrite away from Deadpool jumping across the desk at the studio executive and attacking him.”

• His_Space_Holiness says:

Deadpool as a character requires a very deft touch. He can be very funny or utterly obnoxious, and that trailer had bits of each. Here’s hoping there’s more of the former.

3. Chalkdust says:

You did not mention either of the things I will be picking up this week!

Muramasa Rebirth and Project X Zone.  Yay Japanese games!

• GhaleonQ says:

I love that Namco/Capcom/Sega made some headway into picking obscure characters like they did for 2000s mashups. The game’s pretty fun! The music remixes (the best part of Namco X Capcom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KPBONLHFo ) are weak, unfortunately.

I thought there was no way that was coming here and imported, so it’s all about Company Of Heroes for me.  Russia + lots of people’s favorite strategy game ever + consistent developer = everyone should be more excited about it than they were for shooters.

4. RidleyFGJ says:

Since they haven’t been mentioned, I’d like to point out that there are indeed games out for the Vita this week: Muramasa Rebirth, an enhanced port of the Wii game, is out for retail, while Hotline Miami makes the leap to the Playstation Store, with a cross-buy option that nets you both the PS3 and Vita versions for one price.

There’s also this nifty little PC indie game coming out on Thursday called Rogue Legacy http://www.roguelegacy.com/ , which has adventurers, spike balls, and clowns.

• boardgameguy says:

Rogue Legacy does look pretty great. It’s like Infinity Blade mixed with Spelunky

5. Fluka says:

Rumblings in the deep…  A long-forgotten evil approaches.

Alternately: there are rumors that the Summer Steam sale might start this week!

• aklab says:

I am agog for the Steam sale.

• neodocT says:

I have my eyes on the legendary edition of Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Monaco and Vampire: the Masquerade.

They’re not even that expensive, but I won’t play them right now anyway, so I’m really set on paying $3 bucks a pop for these babies.

• Fluka says:

Skyrim DLC, Alpha Protocol, and Half Life 2 (my greatest shame) for $2 for me!

• neodocT says:

Ooh, I’d get Alpha Protocol for $2! And somebody was talking up Jade Empire a few days ago here, too. Might as well put those on the wishlist.

And Half-Life 2 blew my mind when I first played it. I have no idea how well it holds up, but, considering it’s a FPS, just the sheer variety in the game makes it worthwhile.

@neodocT:disqus: I’m ALWAYS talking up Jade Empire. You can transform into a GIGANTIC FLAMING HORSE and shoot evil anthropomorphic elephants with a steampunk grenade launcher named Mirabelle. Seriously, why are you not playing this game right now?

• neodocT says:

@Merve2:disqus But it costs R$24.99! That’s like, US$12!

But I’ll definitely get it next time it’s on sale and play it within 3 to 5 years of getting it. And if I don’t like it, I’ll point fingers!

@neodocT:disqus: I’ve seen it go on sale on Steam for as little as $3.75. (Not sure what that would be in reals.) I’d suggest waiting for the Steam summer sale, because it sometimes retails for 75% off. BUT AFTER THAT YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE. :P

• Electric Dragon says:

I think HL2 holds up very well. It’s one of those games that I go back to pretty much yearly or 18 monthly.

If (when) you get it, make sure to get the Episodes as well. Ep 1 isn’t quite as good, but Ep 2 is terrific, both in gameplay and in story terms. Plus get the amazing HL2 mod MINERVA. The best single player campaign mod I’ve ever played. And Valve liked it so much, they hired its developer.

Alpha Protocol is flawed, but in a good way. Plus it has some great design. Did you like kicking around in Shepard’s Citadel pad? Then you’ll love the locational hubs in AP (unfortunately no parties).

• ItsTheShadsy says:

@neodocT:disqus I’m playing through HL2 for the first time since 2005, and it’s… it’s aight. I definitely appreciate the artistic vision much more now, especially in contrast to other games out there, but the gameplay holds up much less well.

Some parts are very interesting (especially the longer driving segments, which have crazy-inventive level design), but most of the game is weak-ish gunplay, and it leaves something to be desired. HL2‘s mechanics have not aged well, especially the lack of regenerating health that sometimes pins you down in a corner and throws a bucket of cold water on the pacing. The physics puzzles feel much more gimmicky a decade later, and the renowned Ravenholm level has lost most of its punch thanks to the glut of great horror/zombie games out there.

By all means it’s still very much worth playing. It just feels like a ten-year-old game now.

• Mr. Glitch says:

Jade Empire is a hoot! Buy it, love it, and hope for a sequel!

• Captain Internet says:

Well I could give you Half Life 2- I’ve had two copies sitting in my Steam Inventory since Steam Inventories came into existence.

• djsubversive says:

Alpha Protocol is the best Archer video game ever made. Punching throats, being a smug jerk, and double- and triple-crosses galore. It’s too bad the actual “game” part is kind of buggy and mediocre.

The conversations and choice-and-consequence/reactivity based on your decisions more than make up for it, though.

oh, and neodocT: JADE EMPIRE IS AWESOME.

• Fluka says:

@Captain_Internet:disqus Wait, for realsies?  Cuz that’d be awesome!  (I finally got my steam account in gear too, whee.)

• Fluka says:

Speaking of approaching evils and Steam, this looks amazing and/or too intense for my sensitive self.  System Shock 2 style floppy disc space horror!  *Hides under blanket.*  *Got stressed out watching her husband play SS2.*

Fluka, don’t ever change.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

I remember voting for that game on Steam’s Greenlight.

I WANT.

• neodocT says:

So it’s Amnesia in space?!

I hope that never, ever, goes on a humble bundle, because then I’ll buy it, convince myself that it’s just a game, play it and immediately regret the decision.

Humble Bundle V: Never Forget.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

What, you don’t like wandering around dark Eastern-European castles while avoiding unspeakable monstrosities?

We are clearly two very different people.

• neodocT says:

@The_Helmaroc_King:disqus  The problem isn’t that I don’t like it, but that I love it and yet cannot handle it.

I always find horror games really damn appealing, but I’m so bad at them. It’s tragic, really.

Having said that, I played the first hour of Dead Space a few weeks back, and actually had a great time. You could chop the monster’s legs off with a laser beam thing!

• boardgameguy says:

i’m in the same place @neodocT:disqus . got amnesia as part of the bundle, love the concept, but get waaay too scared to play it.

• caspiancomic says:

To this day I’ve never finished Amnesia. Hell never mind finished, I got about two hours deep and was too scared to continue.

• Chalkdust says:

@caspiancomic:disqus @boardgameguy:disqus @neodocT:disqus @Fluka:disqus A Let’s Play of Amnesia for all of you!

• WELCOME_THRILLHO says:

I used to be that way with scary games- Resident Evil 4 set my hands shaking the first time I played it. The trick is really just wallowing in your anxiety for a few sessions until you’re acclimatized- then the game feels normal because you’ve adjusted to the tension/release cycle.

That and rubber pants to save your good pants from any unfortunate accidents.

• His_Space_Holiness says:

I too have never finished Amnesia, mainly because the camera nearly made me lose my lunch after fifteen minutes. Most first-person games don’t do that, so it must have been something about the walking-animation wobble. Never even got to see a single damn monster.

• neodocT says:

So, basically, nobody ever finished Amnesia?

• ItsTheShadsy says:

As someone who just picked up and is loving Miasmata, I am incomprehensibly stoked for this.

Routine + Oculus Rift = HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO PLAY THIS!

• Citric says:

Just Steam sale responsibly. I remember I got drunk on deals and woke up with all the Tomb Raiders for some reason.

• neodocT says:

Well, as far as “woke up drunk besides ___” stories go, that’s really not that bad.

I once woke up from a Steam binge with a World of Goo and the complete Mount & Blade collection.

6. Merve says:

Because I have the maturity level of a 12-year-old, Deadpool looks like it might be fun. Does anybody know if the PC version works alright and if the mouse+keyboard controls are usable?

7. HOW HAS NO ONE REMARKED ON THE AMAZING SLAYER PUN IN THIS PAGE’S TITLE?

(this comment sponsored by AVClub’s Zodiac Motherfucker)

8. Kyle O'Reilly says:

I’m more excited for the next game from Runic Coporation of Heroes where you play as the upper class yalies, who got their dads to get them out of the war and then they climb up the ranks and use RTS mechanics to move your drones into factory jobs, making sure to keep an eye on resource management, as in it all goes to you.

But seriously, even though I suck at multiplayer I do enjoy CoH and will pick this game up probably during the Winter Sale when it’s 14.99.

And don’t forget the expansion Opposing Parties, wherein you get elected to government and then use your newfound political power to gut the GI bill and other Vets’ benefits and lead the country into two ill-conceived decade long military excursions.

9. Nathan says:

you do realize that we have had galactus vs a biker before, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OJODL_p4ToA#t=136s