News Item

By Matt Gerardi • July 18, 2013

Where’s Firefly? On your smartphones and tablets starting in summer 2014, apparently. Today, Fox Digital Entertainment announced at San Diego Comic-Con that an official Firefly “multi-user, social online role-playing game,” appropriately titled Firefly Online, will be coming to Android and iOS devices next year. It’s being made by QMx Interactive, developer of the Super 8 camera app, and Spark Plug Games, creator of such titles as Plight Of The Zombie and Dairy Queen Tycoon.

Details are scarce, but according to Firefly Online’s inside-joke-packed website, players will “create a shiny ship and explore the Verse” while aiming to “misbehave in space and planet-side adventures.” Although fans have long campaigned for Firefly to return, and although the series makes for a good setting to a huge multiplayer space game, this social smartphone app probably isn’t what fans had in mind. A proper World Of Warcraft-style Firefly game was announced in 2006, but it quickly faded from existence. Hopefully this new adaptation will at least be faithful to all of the show’s quirks, like its use of colorful Chinese profanity, or else Firefly Online might just be da shiong la se la ch’wohn tian.

38 Responses to “Fox announces official Firefly video game (hooray)—from the maker of Dairy Queen Tycoon (uh…)”

1. Liebheart says:

I’ll be in my bunk.

I will also be in my bunk…crying that this sounds like a truly horrible idea on the level of “Alf is BACK!  …in POG form.”

2. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Burn the land? -$.99

Boil the sea? -$.99

Like us on Facebook for 20 more free minutes of sky to keep!

3. I’m glad I’m not the only one here who watched the DVD commentary tracks.

4. Already registered.

5. The Hero of A-C says:

Time for some thrilling in-game heroics.

(Too bad this was on Gameological instead of the AVC…I wish they wouldn’t try to trick us like that.)

• Drunk Dave says:

I like that here you’re the “Hero of A-C”. It’s like your bringing cool air to the put-upon and destitute.

• Gjetostbuster says:

This must be The Hero from Bizarro world where copyright problems with the Jayne hat don’t exist. No red NO.
      FYI: I just watched the Trash episode again last night.  Naked Mal ass for those who like male ass.

You got your Hat in my Gameological, now they’re BOTH ruined!

OF COCK

(Too good this was on Gameological instead of the AVC, it lured over one of the cooler AVClub posters…well…one of the cool ones who isn’t already a GS regular.)

Actually, I’m so accustomed to this place that now whenever a game-related thing is posted in the AVC newswire or Good Job Internet or whatever, and doesn’t link through to Gameological, then I feel like I’ve been tricked.

• K. Thrace says:

Can you be a leaf on the wind in this ‘verse?  Because I want to do that, but with infinite lives.

6. “Official Firefly video game […] coming to Android and iOS devices”

So I guess that’s what being the girlfriend of a premature ejaculator feels like :(

7. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Also in the works is a Firefly Boardgame which may end up better than this, but who knows. The BSG boardgame is pretty well regarded so i’m sort of looking forward to hearing about it.

That said, I’d be alright with no games or whatever. It had a good run as a series/movie/comic, and i’m not really interested in the universe, more the characters which would be weird to focus the multiplayer games around.

I’m cautiously optimistic, is what I’m saying.

• ItsTheShadsy says:

Wait really? Everyone I know who has played the BSG board game hates it. (And yes, this is more than one person.) Apparently it only works if you have 5 or more players; anything lower is almost unplayable given the disproportionate power of Cylons.

Guaranteed I’m not in any board game circles, but my understanding has been that it’s very inaccessible and demoralizing.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

There are lots of rule fixes and thing you can do to balance it more towards either side (changing the starting values of the dials is the big one), but yeah it’s generally regarded as being best played with exactly five people, because that way you get a nice balance of humans and cylons.

I’ve still yet to get a chance to play my copy but it is very highly regarded in most board gaming circles. It is a more complex game so it’s less suited for a casual night of games which is why I haven’t been able to play it yet. I also made sure to print player aids so that when I do play, it will be easier to teach.

• witteefool says:

I’ve never run into hate for BSG the Game, though I do a lot of board gaming. It’s super complicated and super long, so your mileage may vary. I found it fun– especially when I was the cylon!

8. obscure_pop_culture_reference says:

“There’s going to be a Firefly video game”
    “That’s Good!”
    “But it will be made by some shitty developer”
    “That’s bad.”
    “But it will have online multiplayer!”
    “That’s good!”
    “But it will only be available as a mobile app.”
    “That’s bad.”
    “The game’s developers at least seem to know the lingo.”
    “That’s good!”
    “You have to create a login just to see their website.”
    “…”
    “That’s bad.”
    “Can I go now?”

9. Duvall says:

I assume the makers of Dairy Queen Tycoon will now start working on an official Justified video game.

10. Afghamistam says:

Comments surprised me: If I was a Firefly nut, this would piss me the fuck off. That press release stinks of “I only heard of Firefly last week, will this do?” and maybe I’m in the minority here, but I don’t regard phone and tablet games as proper games…

11. Chalkdust says:

Ah, the Papyrus typeface.  A sure sign of a quality production.

12. Mr_Propellerhead says:

Yi da tuo da bian.

13. (frowns)

Can Kaylee come fix this announcement?

14. mizerock says:

I imagine I’ll register for it, but this probably won’t even be as good as the last two times I had a favorite franchise put out a small spin-off product: “Burnout Crash!”, and “Rock Band Blitz”. I actually had fun playing those two download-only games, but it was a humiliating kick in the crotch to realize that I’d probably never again get a new taste of anything resembling the awesome sprawling majesty of the original product.

“Serenity” was really good though, wasn’t it! They didn’t even have to film the different actors at different times and cleverly splice their scenes together.

15. Peter Uhlenberg says: