News Item

Steam Sale

The annual Steam summer sale has begun

By Matt Gerardi • July 11, 2013

Get your credit cards ready (or head to your favorite retailer and purchase a handful of Steam giftcards with cold hard cash, if that’s how you roll) because it’s that time of year again—Black Friday for video game fans. Steam, the digital game superstore, just launched its annual summer sale, which means loads of games are now drastically discounted and will be until July 22.

The opening day headliner is BioShock Infinite, which was knocked down to $30. Some other choice deals going on right now: recent Game That Tune star Hotline Miami for $2.50, Antichamber for $6.80, recent Digest subjects Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger for $10 and Don’t Starve for $9, and the complete Half-Life series (so far) for $20. As usual, the lineup of discounted games will be changing every day (and every eight hours when it comes to the “flash sales”). We provide this news as a public service—don’t come blaming us if your bank account turns up overdrawn.

59 Responses to “The annual Steam summer sale has begun”

1. PaganPoet says:

This is aptly timed. Check out #4 on this article:

• neodocT says:

Today’s Gameological Q&A was also crafty. I may not be an in-game hoarder, but I’m definitely a game hoarder.

• Citric says:

I think I haven’t downloaded something like 60% of my Steam library. It’s shameful.

2. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

I succeeded in accessing the site initially, but it didn’t recognize my work computer, and by the time I plugged in the authorization code, I was denied access due to traffic.  It’s going to be some choppy waters these next few hours, I think.
       All just so I could vote for Dishonored as the next flash sale.

3. DrFlimFlam says:

You know, I still feel pretty good about getting BioShock Infinite for $60 with $20 in MS Points. I basically spent $60 for the entire game plus the season pass, and I was able to participate in the incredibly satisfying discussion surrounding it at that time.

Nothing here for me – is it too much to hope for a FFVII sale already?

• neodocT says:

I got Bioshock Infinite at launch for $60 too, which I (almost) never do. I got it on Steam, though, so my bonus was getting XCom and the original Bioshock. I was satisfied with that!

• ProfFarnsworth says:

I recommend NOT buying FFVII from Steam.  You still have to deal with the square-enix login system, as well as the save “sync”ing, which requires an active internet connections to save your game.  Steam unfortunately neglects to mention all of this for some reason.

• Electric Dragon says:

I got it for free! Admittedly this was only because I’d plonked down £150 on a graphics card…

4. They’re not on the front page, but my Twitter feed is telling me that DyadStealth Bastard Deluxe, BIT.TRIP Presents Runner 2Super House of Dead NinjasFist Puncher, and Super Puzzle Platformer are all on ridiculous Steam sales too.

5. SamPlays says:

Gunslinger is definitely worth picking up, especially if it’s $10. I know it was discussed on the site in prior weeks but the central conceit that the gameplay portions are an account by an unreliable narrator is a terrific approach to the FPS genre. The function of tall tales, myths and legends as narrative devices looms large and makes the game fairly enjoyable, even if it’s ultimately a trifle. Outside of the excellent presentation, everything is above average on a technical level.

6. Also, if you buy Don’t Starve in a two-pack, it’s only $6.50!

7. neodocT says:

Skyrim Legendary Edition has a 40% discount right now, but I’ll hold on a bit and see if that price drops even lower. I can’t say the same for the Fallout games, though. They might get even cheaper, but they’re at such a good price right now! I don’t know what to do!

Needless to say, I have no plans on actually playing these games at this moment, so the best option would be to actually, you now, not throw my money away, BUT I WANT IT ALL!

• Xtracurlyfries says:

Man, I hope Skyrim drops more. I bought it for the Xbox at release so I’m loathe to pay much for it so I can check it out on my sweet high powered desktop. I don’t have any of the DLCs though, so once it drops down a bit more…

• neodocT says:

I broke down and got it. I’m sure I’ll regret it later. STEAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

• Xtracurlyfries says:

Awww dammit I waited and now it’s gone back up to only 25% off.  FOR OTHER REASONS STEAAAAAAAAM!

8. ferrarimanf355 says:

Is Pinball FX2 on sale yet?

9. mizerock says:

I’m sticking to buying games only if they are already on my wish list.

Oh, wait, should I add Gunslinger to my wish list?

• mizerock says:

OK, 75% off only. My wish list isn’t that huge, mostly games I’ve seen discussed here. Job 1: digging up my Xbox controller to use on my laptop so I can actually play some of these games.

10. caspiancomic says:

It begins!

If Another World hits 75% off or Monaco goes down to 50%, I may be out a few bucks. (And I still haven’t played Starseed Pilgrim yet, despite getting for my burfday from Jack! I gotta get on these things!)

If Borderlands 2 goes down to 10 bucks, I might just have to get it for pure Co-op potential.

• Fluka says:

That is a sound strategy.  Until Steam discovers it, and they start fluctuating the price at random throughout the week, with an unknown maximum and minimum.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Everybody seriously follow that guide. It’s the worst when you think you’re getting a good deal buying a game for 80% off, only to feel like a total fucking chump when it’s 90% off the next day.

11. Fluka says:

*Hits the SWEET DEALS WARNING alarm and dives for cover!*

Also, fuck.  I’m currently trapped in a building which is half fun-internet blocker and half cellphone-killing Faraday cafe.  So I can’t actually access Steam until the weekend.  This is probably good for self-restraint, though.   I’ve theoretically got an alert to tell me when XCOM and Alpha Protocol both drop below 50%; otherwise, I’ll buy them on the last day of the sale.  I will be frugal!
    …Nnnngh!  *Runs outside to meadow to point cellphone at sky and search for network!*

• Fluka says:

(Also, Gameological is the only game-related website that is not blocked here.  Which must be because even the government recognizes the superior quality of discourse here!)

• neodocT says:

Alpha Protocol is at 50% right now!

Also, I’m sure Faraday cafe was a typo, but genuinely I love the idea of a cafe where no electronics work. Think of the frustrated writers getting even more frustrated!

• Fluka says:

Typo, alas!  The quality of the coffee in here pretty much makes it an anti-cafe.

AP is 50% right now…but it might be 75% off later!!  Wait, unless it’s a Daily Deal or Flash Sale?  Aaaaaaaaahhh!

• neodocT says:

Alpha Protocol’s on the regular sale right now, so you have at least a few days!

• Mistah Chrysoprase says:

I know right? It’s like being trapped in a candy factory that’s on fire.

• Mistah Chrysoprase says:

These alerts you speak of, is this something inside Steam or would I have to set it up elsewhere?

• Fluka says:

I think Steam sends you emails when a game on your wishlist is on sale, but that seems to happen really inconsistently.  I’m trying this, which lets you set a threshold limit when an alert is sent, but I have no proof that it works.

• Mistah Chrysoprase says:

Ah, interesting, thank you! I knew they had built-in pestering if something went on sale just in general; nice to see someone moved to fill in the gap.

12. Enkidum says:

Well, fortunately for me it keeps emptying my cart after I get about 8 things in it. Done it three times so far, so I’m just going to give up for the time being. No hurry, nothing I want is a flash sale, but I was already over 75 bucks (ugh).

13. Kyle O'Reilly says:

I’m gonna be on vacation in the Grand Tetons for most of this Summer Sale and I’m honestly not that dissapointed.  I’ve already accrued over 125 games for my pc since buying it last September and there really aren’t any “HOLY SHIT I NEED THAT” games I don’t already own.

It would be nice to pick up some good indies though, like Swapper, Super House of Dead Ninjas.

But still, I’m only on the forest in Rogue Legacy so I’ve got work to do on that…

14. JohnnyLongtorso says:

Time to once again hem and haw for two weeks, buy a couple cheap games, and proceed to ignore them!

15. Mistah Chrysoprase says:

*Two Hours Ago*
    Woo! Took a lot of all-ramen dinners, but I finally got all my bills paid up and a little something in my savings account again; boy am I glad the summer sale didn’t start this week!

I’m trying to resist the urge to look up games I’ve bought recently to see how much money I could have saved.

17. Effigy_Power says:

Food’s not really good for you anyways. Or paying bills.

18. Citric says:

So apparently my house broke the internet to save me from making rash decisions and buying something I might regret later. You were a week too early house!

19. Matt Kodner says:

20. Girard says:

You seem mildly wired. Maybe take a nice break with a scented candle and KILL IT WITH A KNIFE.

21. Blatherly says:

Time to try out Adam’s Venture. Small (and fairly obscure) trilogy of games that seem Indiana-Jones-esque. I’m hoping for Uncharted but with more puzzles, less shooting, a little less ridiculous super human platforming and I’m willing to accept that it won’t be as ridiculously high budget.

In short, I hope to only spend 3 quid this steam sale. Wish me luck.

22. DrFlimFlam says:

Saint’s Row The Third went on flash sale so I got the whole kaboodle for $7.49. I haven’t played a SR game since the demo of the original, so I’m looking forward to a series that everyone loves now.