World Wide Web Hyperlink

Murasaki Baby

The most interesting trailers from Sony’s Gamescom 2013 presentation

By Matt Gerardi • August 21, 2013

Yesterday’s Sony presentation at Gamescom, the European games convention, wasn’t entirely bluster and stalling for an hour and a half before announcing the PlayStation 4’s release date. Sony also unveiled some cool-looking games with some cool-looking trailers. Here are the three that caught my eye:

Rime

Tequila Works, the developer behind Rime, didn’t hit it big with their 2012 zombie apocalypse game, Deadlight, but the trailer for their next project, a PlayStation 4 game, is captivating. The art style is clearly inspired by the cartoon visuals of The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and the short clip gives off an air of solitude and smallness.

Murasaki Baby

Between Rime’s “swinging a flaming stick at shadow monsters” scene and this game all about holding-hands, are we finally coming into the era of game creation where Ico is the universal touchstone? Probably not, but this PlayStation Vita game about a creepy Edward Gorey-esque little girl with a mouth in her forehead happy fun. And the idea of using the touchscreen to hold hands with a character and guide her around is an appealing use of the Vita’s mostly unloved touchscreen.

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture

The Chinese Room, the studio behind Dear Esther, is good at creating interactive funnels—detailed worlds built to direct the player from one point the next and tell a nuanced story. Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture looks to take that approach and apply it to an apocalyptic setting. Yes, post-apocalypse stories have become tiresome, but the more biblical undertones of the trailer are intriguing. Maybe it’s a sort of Left Behind situation? All life has either ended or ascended, and you’re stuck on this empty Earth left to sift through the scraps.

19 Responses to “The most interesting trailers from Sony’s Gamescom 2013 presentation”

1. PaganPoet says:

Wow, Murasaki Baby was the right mix of cute and creepy. The Gorey comparison is spot on. I’m going to read The Doubtful Guest when I get home from work today.

2. caspiancomic says:

So the Youtube vid is called “Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture,” but at the end of that same vid the game is apparently called “Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture.” Come on Chinese Room, figure your shit out.

Also, these all look pretty good. Murasaki Baby looks like the kind of thing my teenaged cousin who dresses like Criss Angel would play, but it’s nice to see the Vita getting a game that actually uses the machine’s hardware gimmicks, DS style. And Rime is probably the closest any of us are going to come to actually playing The Last Guardian, so you know I’m hyped for that.

• GaryX says:

Everbody’s Gone to Rapture is a much better name.

• Matt Gerardi says:

Good catch with that title issue. I’ve been completely confused about that title since seeing the trailer for the first time yesterday. It’s got to be a mistake on the part of the lowly PlayStation blog peon who uploaded that video to YouTube. In any case, consider it fixed!

• Cloks says:

It’s going to be called Yo Gabba Gabba Teaches Typing and those are both place-holder names.

3. Destroy Him My Robots says:

I want to take a moment to point to the video game establishment’s grungy little graffiti cousin: Last week, also in Cologne, the demoscene event Evoke 2013 was held. Of particular note, I think, was Titan’s Overdrive demo running on a Mega Drive. You can check it out on Youtube here: http://youtu.be/iQqJm14sHRY Face-meltingly amazing stuff that makes everything from Gamescom look stiff and boring, the scene beginning at 2:50 in particular.

Here‘s a good, but badly Google Translate’d summary with more links. If you watched and Gamescom and thought there ain’t nothin’ out here for you… oh yes, there is. This.

4. rvb1023 says:

That Rime trailer looks like Ico. This is a good thing.

Actually, all of these trailers looked interesting in their own right (Not a huge fan of Dear Esther but if EGTTR isn’t a tunnel it will go a long way for me), my only problem is how many of these titles will actually be exclusive to PS4/Vita? As much as I love Sony’s developer-friendly attitude recently, you aren’t going to sell people on indie games they can still get on PC.

• Well, it wouldn’t necessarily sell PS4s, but if indie games started coming out on PS4 BEFORE they came to PCs, I’d probably start buying them over there, instead.

• Matt Gerardi says:

It’s not 100 percent clear yet which of these will be exclusive to the PS4/Vita, but it’s I’d put money on at least Murasaki Baby and Rapture being exclusives. Rapture is also being worked on by Sony’s Santa Monica studio, so I wouldn’t expect to see that elsewhere. The Murasaki trailer shows the logo for XDEV, which is a branch of Sony Europe dedicated to working with independent developers on games Sony intends to publish (like Heavenly Sword). Again, doesn’t mean it’s a sure bet, but I don’t think it’ll make it elsewhere.

And I have absolutely no idea about Rime. There’s lots of idle chatter about it being exclusive but nothing solid.

• rvb1023 says:

Ok, that works. Even though you aren’t technically indie once you get major studio backing I’m glad Sony is actively supporting smaller studios.

5. Brainstrain says:

Oh my, Rime looks gorgeous. That’s a game I could get lost in.

6. His_Space_Holiness says:

Let’s all go to the Rapture
    Let’s all go to the Rapture
    Let’s all go to the Rapture
    And buy ourselves an apocalypse!

Sorry, that’s the only thing I can think of when I see that title.

7. DrFlimFlam says:

Sony really needs to create a combo pack of PS4+PSPV.

8. Pgoodso says:

In “bigger” but not as interesting news, Blizzard setting up to corrupt then kill another major character in lieu of writing an original story: