Game That Tune

Game That Tune: Henry Hatsworth In The Puzzling Adventure

Game Of Scones

Mozart meets metal in this tune from Henry Hatsworth In The Puzzling Adventure.

By Derrick Sanskrit • August 1, 2013

Game music has the power to earworm its way into your heart long after you put the controller down. Each week in Game That Tune, we highlight a great tune from a great game (or a great tune from a just-okay game).

There are a lot of memorable moments in Henry Hatsworth In The Puzzling Adventure. There’s the Fabio-like boss who sings opera and blasts enormous hearts through an unbuttoned shirt that can’t quite contain his swollen pectorals. There’s that one bird that always flies right into you while you’re jumping between columns, knocking you directly into a bottomless pit over and over. Undoubtedly the most memorable moment in this puzzle-action hybrid, though, was something players did again and again: pouring a nice cup of earl grey, taking a smooth relaxing sip, and then rocking the fuck out:

“Go, Go, Golden Robo Q!” kicks in every time players activate Tea Time, the gentleman adventurer’s ultimate power. ’Roided up on the sweet caffeinated rush of black tea, Hatsworth dons a suit of steampunk mech armor and proceeds to smash the gentlemanly stuffing out of everybody and everything in his way. The song is a perfect representation of the game itself, self-aware with a hearty “tee-hee” at the general silliness of it all. The proper and genteel refrain of Mozart’s “Rondo Alla Turca” is overtaken by the blistering licks of a hair metal guitar. It’s a flurry of showmanship, not composition, that many a rock guitarist have used to proclaim that they are a force to be reckoned with—unable to be restrained by their bandmates and deserving of adoration. When you activate Tea Time, Hatsworth switches from elegant swordplay to Michael Bay-style explosions and smashes. The giddy spectacle of it all is just enough to drown out the exuberant lone-wolf guitar wails, reminding us that mech suits are the heaviest metal of all.

12 Responses to “Game Of Scones”

1. bamfspace says:

My tea drinking experiences have been decidedly less exciting.

I’ve never even heard of this game before, was it actually any good? Now I’m curious.

• PugsMalone says:

It was entertaining, but some of the bosses were ridiculously difficult (the nurse and the final boss in particular)

• It’s basically NES-era Ninja Gaiden with a solid sense of humor and a simple Puzzle League clone tied in. If that sounds like your bag, I highly recommend it. It does get extremely challenging towards the end (see: Ninja Gaiden) but at a smooth and steady clip.

The designer, Kyle Gray, went on to co-create Little Inferno with his old buddy Kyle Gabler, while the rest of the team started their own studio and developed Monster Tale (which includes a nod to Hatsworth as a fun easter egg) and Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion.

2. Excel-2013 says:

Publishing this game is one of the few unambiguously good things EA managed to do over the last few years. And to think it looked like the start of an effort to rebuild goodwill with disenfranchised gamers.

3. PugsMalone says:

There’s a lot of subtext in this game about colonialism. Henry Hatsworth travels to exotic locations, but he’s primarily fighting other Westerners there- the thinly disguised natives are just cannon fodder.

I once considered starting a blog where I would write ironic Marxist interpretations of nerdy stuff, but I didn’t think that I could get the jargon down convincingly enough.

4. PaganPoet says:

This rockification of Mozart reminds me of one of my favorite guilty pleasures: Lacrymosa by Evanescence. It’s probably more of a testament to the beauty of Mozart’s composition (His Requiem still remains one of my favorites next to Faure and Britten; Brahms is fun to perform, but quite a chore to sit through) than Evanescence themselves.

5. Chalkdust says:

You mentioned this game and its music in passing months ago, Derrick, which sent me on a quest to try and find the soundtrack.  It was somewhat frustrating, because it was at one point available for free download from the game’s official web page, but no more.  After some hunting, I found somebody who had uploaded the tracks individually on one of those mediafire-esque websites, so I spent the better part of an evening waiting through increasingly long “your download will be available in X seconds” prompts to get the several dozen files at long last.

Now, to continue my series of thematically piggybacking on your good work, how about another DS puzzler with very good music?  No, not Meteos… that’d be tricky since the music is reactive to the pieces you drop and the combos you make.  But it does have a cool soundscape.

Nah, let’s go for Planet Puzzle League and it’s kickin’ techno tunes.  Like, for example, the industrially tinged Physics Engine and the traditional Japanese flavor of Lobelia Cardinalis.

• I love Planet Puzzle League, particularly its graphic style(s) and its local competitive multiplayer—not only the best in a series known for its competitive multiplayer, but among the best on the Nintendo DS (I will always have a soft spot for Metroid Prime Pinball parties)—but the stylin’ electronic soundtrack suffers from the inevitable comparisons to the original Puzzle League’s.