News Item

PlayStation 4

The PlayStation 4 will be available on Nov. 15

By Matt Gerardi • August 20, 2013

The PlayStation 4 will be released on Nov. 15 in North America and Nov. 29 in Europe, Sony announced today at its press briefing at the German games expo GamesCom. And, just as a reminder, it’ll run you $400—something we learned at this year’s E3.

There’s not much other news to gather from Sony’s showing. The PlayStation Vita will now be sold for $200—that’s a $50 price-cut. The company continued to bolster its army of independent games that will be coming to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita before the Xbox One. It showed off Hotline Miami 2, Rogue Legacy, and Guns Of Icarus, all games either already available on or coming soon to personal computers. Sony also revealed a couple of unannounced new games, like the very pretty and Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker-looking Rime and a new apocalyptic adventure from the makers of Dear Esther called Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture. Oh, and Minecraft will be available on the PlayStation 4 on day one.

37 Responses to “The PlayStation 4 will be available on Nov. 15”

1. Aurora Boreanaz says:

Oh boy, MINECRAFT!  What better showcase of the graphics power of the next generation of consoles than a game with 16-bit equivalent graphics!

(I like Minecraft, just seems odd.)

They did introduce an absolutely gorgeous game called Rime.  It’s cel-shaded with some very lovely expressionist flourishes.  Were I to get a PS4, this is the game I’d be PS-ing my pants about.

• Sarapen says:

I just saw the trailer. Good god, Rime looks incredible. If the gameplay is half as good then this’ll be a winner. Even if it sucks I’ll probably spend hours just wandering around looking at stuff. I racked up a lot of time on Oblivion just wandering around exploring hidden valleys and watching the sun rise through the trees.

• Boonehams says:

Didn’t you hear? Backwards compatibility is for LOSERS.  No one goes BACK anymore!  C’mon, get outta here with that sorta talk.  …Backwards compatibility… pfft.  As if.

[No, it’s not backwards compatible with PS3 games.]

• PaganPoet says:

Liked pretty much for reminding me of Clueless.

• DrFlimFlam says:

The PS4 and XboxOne are stark reminders of where gaming falls short; namely, that our games are only good so long as our hardware functions and they are supported by the developer or dedicated fans.

• George_Liquor says:

Well, until the tech advances to the point where old hardware can be effectively emulated on new hardware at least.

• uselessyss says:

I know this backwards compatibility debate has been driven to the ground already, but I think the lack of BC isn’t unexpected if you look at console games as formats unto themselves.

I can’t play my VHS copy of Godzilla 1985 with a DVD player or a Blu-ray player. It hasn’t actually been released on either of those formats in the US, either. If I want to watch Godzilla, I’d have to dig out my VHS player. Maybe it’ll never come out on Blu-ray or formats beyond that. If so, I’ll be (a little) sad. But it happens. Some records never came over to CD, and some CDs aren’t available in digital stores.

Some PS2 games have been released for the PS3 in HD “remastered” editions, and I expect the same will happen for PS3 games on the PS4. I expect many games from previous generations will be available to play in some form (whether streaming or through “remasters”). But I don’t know that it’s so shocking that you won’t be able to stick any old PS3 game into your PS4 and have it work.

• Sarapen says:

@uselessyss:disqus There’s also the *ahem* non-profit circuit that’s digitally preserving certain cultural products.

• mizerock says:

I’ve always thought of the PS3’s “cell processor architecture” as what made is special, and why certain types of games could only be done on the PS3. But, apparently, it was a pain to translate code from the PC (or from other consoles) to run the same way on the PS3. Maybe that made Minecraft too hard to translate? Certainly it would explain why it would be so hard to make PS3 games run on the PS4.

Though I sure hope that some games get translated, via the PSN, in the same way that many PS2 games were eventually made available for download to the PS3. Though my next game host is almost certainly going to be a new PC, so I guess it really doesn’t matter to me.

• George_Liquor says:

The cell processor’s great if you want to do protein folding or grind encrypted files, but it sucks for gaming. Video games just aren’t conducive to massively parallel computing.

• uselessyss says:

Well, Minecraft is coming to all PS consoles, including the PS3 and Vita.

So I guess they just never got around to it, and Sony wanted to one-up MS’s earlier announcement.

• Carlton_Hungus says:

Nuts to your backwards capacity.

They must go forward, not backward, upwards, not forward, and forever twirling, twirling toward photo-realism.

• GaryX says:

It’s not backwards compatible. The “oh please please please” be true rumor is that the streaming service will account for this somehow.

2. DrFlimFlam says:

Okay.

3. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

I think it’s pretty cool to see the level of support from indie games the Vita is getting.  And while I’m aware that it’s likely because these are the only titles showing up to the party, I’m hoping they function in cultivating the Vita as a welcome place for all different unique kinds of games.
       And with the news that memory cards are going down in price as well, I may actually be able to afford another for these games.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’m kind of torn on the vita. I love indie games and handheld consoles, but most of those games are already on PC, and the rest of the vita’s library is pretty uninteresting to me. The 3DS on the other hand has a ton of awesome games that you can only get there and it’s cheaper AND it uses SD cards.

Completely understandable.  Already owning a Vita, this is more of a ‘make lemonade’ kind of outlook.  I’d like these otherwise available games to do well enough that developers gain some faith in the system.
           Though Tearaway by Media Molecule looks to be a happy combination of all these elements.  It’s a new IP, it’s visually pretty sophisticated and pretty.  And it’s unconventional.
           Now the only question is if it’s fun to play.

• PaganPoet says:

Umm, Spacemonks, you HAVE played Persona 4 Golden, right? I hope you realize I might have to lose it if you’ve owned a Vita all this time and still have not checked it out.

Pagan, your in Colorado, right?  No, I say sheepishly, I haven’t played it.

• PaganPoet says:

I’ll find a puppy to kick on my way home today.

• forget_it_jake says:

@Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus, I know you’ll probably never see this, but if you do: What games do you recommend for the Vita? I bought one just to play P4 Golden (I couldn’t help myself!), but I’m not generally a handheld afficianado. Other than P4G, I’ve only really played Gravity (and liked it quite a bit). I started Assassin’s Creed but couldn’t adjust to the controls fast enough to enjoy it. I also started some Norse mythology game (I forget the name) but lost interest quickly. My Vita has been sitting in a drawer since summer. What games do you recommend to rekindle my interest in it?

• mizerock says:

I also felt like such a sucker paying outrageous prices for PS2 memory cards, that played a big role in me passing on getting a Vita at release. See also: Apple and its $25 replacement USB power cords.

• NakedSnake says:

The indie game support definitely makes a big difference. For pretty much every indie game I play on PC, I find myself thinking “I wish I was playing this on a handheld”.

• Sarapen says:

I’d buy a Vita but I’ve already got a smartphone and an e-reader, with a Vita if I got mugged I’d be down most of a grand. Plus my pockets are already bulging from my doohickeys, I have one pair of pants I can’t even tie my shoes in when I’ve got my cellphone in the front pocket.

• huge_jacked_man says:

If there’s one indication that the Vita is a failure it is that Vita owners are actually excited about getting 2-year old indie games that cost $2 on Steam.

Well, if I can’t trust the business acumen of someone named Huge Jacked Man, who can I trust?

• huge_jacked_man says:

It’s true though. The only system-seller on the Vita is a remake of a 2008 PS2 game. It’s  a nice piece of hardware but there’s no games on it.

4. MintBerry_Crunch says:

*Cue Spongebob, “Are Ya Ready Kids?”

Sony’s highlight of indies is the great hope on what will surely be a first year of deja vu’s.
    (Lord I hope so, people better not enjoy that thing until I’m hooked up and 400 bucks in ruin.)

5. His_Space_Holiness says:

I already had “parallelepiped” on my Christmas list, so this is a happy coincidence.