News Item

By Matt Gerardi • August 6, 2013

Deep Silver, the publisher that recently took over the Saints Row series, has unleashed a character creator for the upcoming Saints Row IV. Dubbed the Saints Row IV: Inauguration Station, anyone who grabs the program will be able to customize their gangster-turned-U.S. president and import the characters into the game proper when it’s released on Aug. 20. It’s currently available for free on Steam, for PC users, and on Xbox 360. A PlayStation 3 version will be available on August 13.

One of my favorite parts of the recent Saints Row games has been the character creation. It’s not much of a surprise that a game featuring a giant purple dildo as a weapon would have a wacky suite of customization options. Things have been toned down since the oddly progressive gender slider of Saints Row 2, but it’s still a heck of a lot of fun to build your own monstrosity. Here’s my take on a horribly sunburnt, recently retired lackey from a bad ’70s martial arts movie:

Saints Row IV

And here he is dancing:

Saints Row IV

If you happen to download and use the character creator, it would be pretty cool if you shared your results in the comments.

26 Responses to “You can create the U.S. president of your dreams with Saints Row IV: Inauguration Station

1. Carlton_Hungus says:

That may be the most wonderful and strangely hypnotic gif I’ve ever seen.

2. NakedSnake says:

Grotesque. I like how the neck seems like it’s composed of high-tension wires supporting the oversized head.

Also, he apparently has another reverse-elbow joint just below his deltoids.  URGH!

3. PaganPoet says:

Everybody can-can! You can can-can too!

4. MintBerry_Crunch says:

I can’t justify posting this other than the post itself.

5. Citric says:

My Saints Row 2 character is my favorite character design ever, a somewhat obese guy with long hair and a silly beard, often seen wearing grandma glasses, a bathrobe, and gold heels, though he has been known to wear flowery dresses and nothing at all.

Second favorite was my PS Home guy, where myself and a friend challenged each other to make the ugliest guy possible. Mine was a chubby old guy with a mustache who always wore work gloves, and his was a chubby guy with a big mullet. Together we wandered Home and danced around all of the generically handsome people until they were creeped out and wandered away, often making cracks about our weight. It was literally minutes of fun.

I like stories.

• boardgameguy says:

I have a feeling Soupy will smile upon this comment. I already did.

• apple_mummy says:

When playing Saints Row 3, I decided immediately to play as “Florida Grampa”. But then I found a specific skin tone, and wound up playing as this the entire time.

• Pgoodso says:

I ended up doing something similar with my Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 character. Mr roommates had already created characters by the time I got home, and were anxious to play, so while I was trying to create mine, they started belly-aching about me taking too long to painstakingly recreate my inimitable features. After not too long, I said, “FINE!”, then simply maximized or minimized every single physical option. I ended up a pale, liver lipped, clown-headed, grotesquely muscled, giant chinned monstrosity whose eyeballs would occasionally phase through his thin eyelids. My victory dances and angry poses were hilariously horrifying and cartoonish, leaving all of us to wonder whether I’d done the best thing or worst thing possible.

6. Fluka says:

I played around with it a little this afternoon and made a middle aged, scarred-yet-stylish Franco-Chinese businesswoman.  That’s not *particularly* crazy, but fuck, when else am I going to be able to make a character like that?

• MintBerry_Crunch says:

I’m pretty sure it’s racist to segue from your first line into this, but, I really wanted to make the landlady from Kung Fu Hustle; the cigarette made that character though, so I couldn’t do her justice.

Then I settled for Archer Sterling’s “Got Dick?” outfit from Archer but was missing roller skates. :(

• PaganPoet says:

I’m pretty sure my character is going to be a drag queen this time. Haven’t had a chance to mess around with this yet, but I’m trying to decide between a gothy queen a la Sharon Needles or an old fashioned movie starlet a la Jinkx Monsoon.

• Fluka says:

No cigarette?  No roller skates?!?!  Gah!!
        (The Kung Fu Hustle one is an excellent idea!)

• Cloks says:

To be needlessly pedantic, Sterling Archer.

Takes out asthma inhaler, walks away smugly.

• Boonehams says:

I made the same character, along with Will Eisner’s The Spirit and Brock Samson.  I made others, but I kept coming back to The Spirit.

7. Fluka says:

Ahahahaha.  I just went to make a character who looks like Walter White, and the appropriate goatee is named “Door Knocker.”

8. Knarf Black says:

Brion James has apparently been pumping a lot of iron since dying.

9. Andy Tuttle says:

Is it just me, or does he look like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

10. vinnybushes says:

Did anyone else notice the choices for voice? male/female 1,2,3 and “Nolan North”. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

11. vinnybushes says:

Here’s my Spider Jerusalem, who I don’t think would be out of place running around Steelport with a bowel disruptor. (I would actually kill for a bowel disruptor dlc. Make it happen Volition!). The sad part was that they didn’t have any of the tattoos I wanted…
    and an equally spidery pose: http://i.imgur.com/RgK6qsC.jpg