Sawbuck Gamer

DOT Space Hero

Space Case

DOT Space Hero is an accident-prone child’s vision of the great unknown.

By Joe Keiser • August 23, 2013

Sawbuck Gamer is our daily review of a free or cheap game ($10 or less).

With America’s shuttle program scuttled and our most famous astronauts now brittle old men, I sometimes wonder if the children of today will not share their elders’ sense of the wonder of space. I worry that instead they will view it with a sense of dread. If they all thought about space as it’s depicted in DOT Space Hero, I wouldn’t have to worry—I would know. They would all run screaming from the void, and I wouldn’t blame them.

DOT Space Hero is a game where a Playmobil star voyager runs from the left to the right automatically, dodging aliens and firing a ray gun. It’s a style of game that has only become popular in recent years, but what’s on offer here feels much older. This is in part because of the game’s retro soundtrack and lack of the usual mobile game panhandling, but mostly it’s because DOT Space Hero is hard. There are tons of obstacles, they’re all deadly, and they’re placed so that dodging one will almost always careen you into another. It’s the kind of challenge that can only be overcome with muscle memory. It makes DOT much like the space games of decades ago, when our fishbowl-wearing heroes were spry, and our psyches could handle the pain.

18 Responses to “Space Case”

1. SamPlays says:

I can’t comment on the game because I’m unwilling to pay $1 for it. As such, all I can say is that I’m perpetually stoked for new Breaking Bad episodes every Sunday.

• PaganPoet says:

Only for the next six Sundays, though…and then no more new Breaking Bad EVAR!

• MintBerry_Crunch says:

So, uh, Space Case. That’s a cute game not out for Android.

(Why doesn’t anyone ever remember the awesome ‘exploding meth’ scene from season one when talking about this show? That’s some top-of-the-list-moments shit right there!)

• SamPlays says:

Is that the scene with Walt confronting Tuco and he throws fulminated mercury? They tested that scene on a recent Breaking Bad edition of MythBusters. Unfortunately, much to the chagrin of Vince Gilligan, it doesn’t really work like that in real life (ditto for the hydroflouric acid/bathtub deal). Full episode on Youtube (it’s pretty awesome)…

• MintBerry_Crunch says:

Maybe this weekend after watching Episode 3, I’ll catch me some Dexter—balance out the high with the loooooooo– (how can you not be snippy about that show).

• SamPlays says:

Dexter is an example of a show that’s so-bad-it’s-good. There’s a lot of craft on display in terms of production but the story and dialogue are simply AWFUL. Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are pretty much the only reason I’ve been able to stick with Dexter this long. That and I’ve also acknowledged that it doesn’t offer anything of real substance vis-a-vis thematic material, social commentary. All I’ve learned from this show is that the creators and writers have a profound misunderstanding of serial killers (also, Quinn will stick his dick into pretty much anything that moves).

• DrFlimFlam says:

What? I thought we were getting Neil deGrasse-Tyson?

• SamPlays says:

I think he’s lined up to do hosting duties. I was under the impression that MacFarlane was taking more a producer role. Also, in his own way, Neil deGrasse-Tyson is a total badass.

• DrFlimFlam says:

Okay, I can relax now. I don’t mind MacFarlane, but I like scientists to tell me about sciencing.

• SamPlays says:

Don’t get too comfy just yet. There’s plenty of cross-over potential with Family Guy and American Dad.

• Chalkdust says:

MacFarlane’s role as executive producer mainly stems from the negotiating he did with Fox to get the series greenlit and funded.  He’s mentioned that the original Cosmos was very influential to him, and it’s more a desire to share a contemporary, up-to-date Cosmos with a new generation as opposed to having any sort of creative involvement on such a project.

Ann Druyan (Sagan’s widow) and Steven Soter, who were both hugely involved in the original series, are heading up the development of the new one alongside deGrasse-Tyson.

People see MacFarlane’s name on it and jump to conclusions but everything I’ve heard suggests he’s basically taking a hands-off approach apart from having curated relations with the network and show team.

• SamPlays says:

@Chalkdust_TMAI:disqus In all seriousness, I’m looking forward to seeing the new series. I have faith that the people involved (MacFarlane included) will be respectful to the original series. The DVD set for Cosmos remains one of my most prized possessions (I don’t know if it’s easy/hard to come by but it’s prized because I’m a big fan of Carl Sagan’s work).

• Matt Gerardi says:

As a side note, this is coming to Android (and PC and Mac) eventually. The developer notes the Android version is “80 percent” complete, but they don’t have any sort of projected date.

2. SamPlays says:

On a DOT Space Hero related note, I just noticed that the banner on the main GS page shows the space child looking rather angry but in the screenshot above he looks kinda complacent, maybe almost blissful.