World Wide Web Hyperlink

By Matt Gerardi • August 20, 2013

A new Tetris world record has been set, and as the recording of the performance (seen above) shows, that title is now in the hands of some sort of space-age Tetris robot that acts only on cold, hard, instantly computed facts. Or if this mental_floss article by Chris Higgins is to be believed, a Japanese player who goes by the name of Keroco.

Specifically, the record is for the Tetris mode known as “40 lines” or “sprint,” in which the player aims to create 40 solid lines in the shortest amount of time. Keroco’s record is even more impressive, Higgins notes, because it is the first recorded “40 lines” attempt to come in at under 20 seconds. (Keroco’s exact time was 19.68 seconds.) For a person unfamiliar with the techniques of high-level Tetris, the performance looks like fake automated play, with the pieces snapping into the best possible position. As far as I could tell from perusing the Reddit thread for the video, which Higgins linked to in his post, the idea is to have a constant mental picture of your board so you’ll know exactly where to place the upcoming pieces before they appear. That way, once the new blocks pop up, you can quickly align them and slam them into place. It’s not clear whether that’s how Keroco did it, but it’s probably the only way a human could play INVISIBLE TETRIS:

23 Responses to “Footage of the new Tetris world record is 20 seconds of beautiful inhuman precision”

1. SamPlays says:

Excellent! Isn’t this supported by the Star Trek episode where Kirk is sped up for breeding purposes?

2. Boonehams says:

Thanks to that Reddit thread, I learned about Ecstasy of Order, and will now have something to watch this weekend.

Thanks, Reddit.

3. Jackbert says:

My record for this is 36 seconds. I used to be impressed that I could, on average, clear a line in less than a second. Not anymore, this guy nearly doubled me!

….uh….how in the hell can you even SEE that quickly?  Oh, okay, I see now that you can see the next six pieces ahead of time, so I modify my question to be: How in the hell can you PLACE pieces that damn fast?!

• Jackbert says:

The best way I can think of explaining it is that you have to rotate the pieces as they’re going down. Most people rotate the piece, then move it where they need it, then drop it down. Instead, move them, in their default rotation, to the spot where you need them, and then as you’re dropping it down, rotate them so they fit. As for actually being able to do this, I’d say it’s a mixture of natural spatial awareness ability and practice, with the former taking precedence over the latter.

• ChicaneryTheYounger says:

Dude, this guy’s probably at least twice your age and has practiced for decades. Your record is still good.

• Labrat85 says:

• kthejoker says:

There’s … there’s a whole *account* dedicated to #humblebrag?

• Matt Kodner says:

to be fair it was started by Harris Wittels, a writer from Parks & Rec, who is hilarious.

He got sick of it pretty quickly after putting out a book of them, and has since disowned the hashtag.

4. Merve says:

5. CrabNaga says:

And I used to be proud of my 40 second Solitaire record.

6. DrFlimFlam says:

Bah. I can hold my breath longer than 19.68 seconds. So there.

• SamPlays says:

A signed copy of John Teti’s forehead is yours if you can hold your breath longer than my Tetris record of 738 seconds…

7. His_Space_Holiness says:

Man, that “Excellent” to “Game Over” transition is kind of brutal. “You did great!” “You did nothing.” Tetris is evidently not impressed by its own greatest players.

• PaganPoet says:

What do you expect from a game that you can’t win? Tetris was programmed in Soviet Russia (presumably in a cold, damp gulag somewhere, at gunpoint), so of course it’s a bleak, Sisyphean task only meant to remind you of the utter futility of your actions. They should use it in philosophy classes in the existentialism module.

8. HobbesMkii says:

Given that Tetris is by and large a time waster, this seems counter productive. I mean, the “best” Tetris player should be one that avoids both winning and losing for the longest possible time, thus avoiding doing the most work.

9. Matt Koester says:

Jesus Christ.

10. Geo X says:

Good luck finding someone to play two-player with, dude!