Out This Week

Wind Waker HD

There Can Be Only 101

In this week’s releases, Grand Theft Auto returns, Nintendo releases something old and something new, and immortals clash in Infinity Blade III.

By Drew Toal • September 17, 2013

Out This Week is a look at a few new games that are out this week.

Grand Theft Auto V
Playstation 3, Xbox 360—September 17

One of Grand Theft Auto V’s three protagonists appears to be a guy who has given up the burning and looting life for a more comfortably white-collar existence. He’s been on the straight and narrow for 10 years or so, but his past comes back to haunt him when some of his old crime buddies show up and pull him back into the game. It has been five years since the last Grand Theft Auto, and I feel a similar ambivalence. Maybe I’m just old but I’ll take setting down in a comfortable easy chair with a good book over parachuting out of a plane over San Andreas and into a pool of strippers and cocaine any day. Most days. Okay, just give me the damn parachute.

The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii U—September 20

Another week, another HD remake of a beloved game. Nintendo has been fielding more than its share of criticism in the months following its quixotic Wii U launch, so what better way to wallpaper over its shortcomings than rerelease one of the best entries in one of its most popular series? Not that I’m not complaining.

The Wonderful 101
Wii U—September 15

Speaking of the Nintendo wasteland: Two out of the four entries in this week’s Out This Week are exclusive to the Wii U? Unless I am mistaken, friends, that is a Gameological first. Has Nintendo finally turned a corner? Your resident soundtrack curator Derrick Sanskrit already broke this one down, but I’d like to add, on a personal note, that this is the kind of colorful, original, and Nintendo-y type of thing I’d like to see more of. I mean, I love Zelda too, but the world will go on without Wind Waker: HD:3D:OMFG:YOLO:FML.

Infinity Blade III
iPhone/iPad—September 18

That pesky God King is at it again in the third installment of this popular mobile series. Apparently, you and your kind are immortal, but you’ve come to see the error of using that power to subjugate the mortal masses. God King doesn’t see it this way. He won’t allow such a perversion of the natural order. It’s just God King being God King, you know, crushing those who oppose him from behind his scary mask with his trusty Infinity Blade. These people want to be enslaved and exterminated. It’s what they’re here for. By the way, does anyone out there know if three-time Gemini Award-nominee Highlander: The Television Series holds up? Anyone?

155 Responses to “There Can Be Only 101”

1. rvb1023 says:

The biggest shame of this list is the HD port will outsell Wonderful 101. Platinum just can’t catch a break, can they?

2. The_Helmaroc_King says:

Man, Wind Waker was beautiful.

Remember when Link stabbed Ganon in the face? Just drove a sword straight through his skull.

LOL cartoons.

• GaryX says:

Remember when Ganon was revealed to basically be a Dostevsky character acting out his fate because it was the only destiny the world allowed him? How though he knew he would be defeated, the world had given him but no choice to attempt destroying it and that he alone understood the part he, Zelda, and Link had to play?

Fuck that game was good.

Kind of think this remake takes away the style though.

• Simon Jones says:

Am I misremembering people hating that game at the time over the art style or some such? Just angry nerdy rants about it.

• GaryX says:

Check out the old Metacritic user reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker/user-reviews?sort-by=date&num_items=100&dist=negative

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

Way back, at a game show in 2000, Nintendo demoed semi-realistic Zelda footage based on the style in Ocarina of Time. People were excited! Then Nintendo made Wind Waker. I don’t remember any high-profile discontent, but there was definitely some negative reaction pre-release. Reminds me a little of the whole “Craig is not Bond” thing, but for video games.

People hated the loving shit out of it.
          It was enough to seed suspicion in me that perhaps, sometimes, gamers are not the most patient, introspective, thoughtful or far-thinking group of hobbyists.
             I’ve stopped paying to gaming news in the last decade.  How are they these days?

• Simon Jones says:

They are as gentle as lambs these days.

Has anyone noticed a weird cultural blank in regards to Ocarina of Time? It’s probably the contender for best in the series along with Link To The Past, was mindblowingly amazing when it came out and people don’t ever seem to talk about it.

• DrFlimFlam says:

I was a Gamespot moderator at the time.

Yes, people hated that game as if it had found a tax error in the government’s favor and also invented the not-yet-published Twilight “Saga.”

• @disqus_X4YE2qf8IB:disqus Maybe now, but just a couple years back you couldn’t get people to shut up about Ocarina, to the point of where Wind Waker being my favorite of the series was considered a controversial opinion. Now it’s kinda accepted as being one of the best and nobody talks about Ocarina. Just the new guard taking over for the old one, I guess, expect plenty of thinkpieces exclaiming why Ocarina is one of the best video games ever once it’s 20th anniversary comes up.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Wait what? People talk about OoT all the time. It’s i think the most popular opinion for “best/favorite zelda game.” People go nuts over that game. It’s like FFVII.

People were REALLY upset that it came out and was the most beautiful Zelda game ever, instead of looking more like OoT, the most butt-ugly Zelda game ever.

Gamerz are weird.

There is no ‘cultural blank’ regarding Oot. It is frequently cited as the best in the series, the best game for N64, the best game ever, etc. etc. If anything, the game is tremendously over-rated. People can’t shut up about that game.

• mslano says:

Does nobody else remember hearing the term “Celda” said with such intense derision when Wind Waker came out?

Yeah, I’m not feeling the soft shading, desaturated colors, and the bloom. I’ll just use Dolphin to play my gorgeous Gamecube Wind Waker in HD,thanks.

• GaryX says:

The bloom really is quite terrible. It looks good, but it’s quite different from the original.

@GaryX:disqus I’d love them to do a Zelda game in the style of a Rankin-Bass stop-motion movie, which is what this version starts to feel like to me at times. But just make a new game with that style, don’t throw the most distinctive style in the series under the bus remaking the game in a different style.

• GaryX says:

Oh agreed. And also YES! That’s what this version has felt like to me. Spot on.

• Dikachu says:

I never got into that game… the character design was creepy and off-putting, especially after the awesomeness that was Ocarina of Time.  I tried playing Wind Wanker for a couple of hours, but being chased around by a little kid with a huge snot bubble really fucking grossed me out, and then I got stuck sailing around aimlessly in some boring-ass ocean and gave up.

3. duwease says:

I found something this week that I thought might be of particular interest to the Phoenix Wright fans and/or humanities geeks that I assume make up a good sized portion of the readership.

Behold: Socrates Jones:  Pro Philosopher!

• Chum Joely says:

Incredible. That game is really going to come in handy next time that damn deer repellent salesman comes to my door.

I will pass this along to my dad, who is a philosophy professor. There’s an undergraduate major at his university now– this should be about their speed.

• Matt Gerardi says:

You guys need to stop spoiling our super cool Sawbucks. Like seriously.

• duwease says:

We’re just having trouble coping with the concept that we now have a source that will actually give proper attention to these sorts of hidden quirky gems, when we’ve spent so long having to find them ourselves and trade them in internet back-alleys.

It’s hard adjusting to a post-Gameological society.. what are our roles?  This is no country for old nerds.

• MesotheleonaHelmsley says:

Alright then, two of ’em. Both have my father in ’em, it’s peculiar, I’m older now then he ever was by 20 years. In a sense, he’s the younger man. Anyhows the first one I don’t remember too well, it was meeting him in town somewheres, so he can give me some money to play Candy Crush… I think I’ve lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in the older times, near the end of the 8-bit era or so, and I was a-horseback, going through the mountains in the night- going through this pass in the mountains. It was cold, there was snow on the ground, and he rode past me, kept on going. He never said nothing going by, just rode on past. And he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down. When he rode past, I can see he was carrying a copy of EGM, in a horn the way people used to do. And I can see the horn from the light inside of it, about color of the moon and the cover had Super Mario Brothers 3 on it. In the dream I knew that he was going out ahead, and he was fixing to make a fire and set up the game for 2-player, somewhere in all that dark, in all that cold. And I knew that when I got there, he’d be there and he would try and steal my cards in the minigame. Then I woke up.

I’ve had the Gama Sutra story about that game open in a tab for, like, a month, waiting for a chance to play it. I really, really, really hope it’s good, because the premise is amazing.

Though naming the character after a famous philosopher in a game populated by famous philosophers seems like a needlessly confusing choice…

4. Unexpected Dave says:

The Wii U is slowly building a worthwhile library.

• DrFlimFlam says:

2015, man. 2015 and that system will be awesome.

•  Probably a few months before then. Fall 2014 should be amazing if they deliver everything they said they would.

• indy2003 says:

Very possible. I realize that the Wii was technically a huge success for Nintendo, but if everything they’ve got in the pipeline is as good as it sounds like it ought to be, then the Wii U is poised to have a game lineup which is a good deal stronger than the Wii’s.

• zerocrates says:

Give them enough time and it’ll be the best GameCube money can buy.

Can I play Four Swords Adventures on it with four friends and four GBAs? No? NOT THE BEST GAMECUBE, SORRY.

• zerocrates says:

I’m saving this spot to come back and laugh at you after next year’s announcement of Four Swords Adventures HD DX “Please, Love Us Again” Edition with cutting-edge 2DS integration.

@zerocrates:disqus My bank account will also be laughing at me because there’s a chance that announcement could actually get me to buy a Wii U and a 2DS (or 4 2DSes so I can play with friends without logistical hangups…)

5. Fluka says:

*Squints at clouds on horizon.  Retreats into bunker to survive onslaught of GTA hype, reviews, and fierce fanboy battles.*

They won’t be coming here, though, will they? The review hasn’t been posted yet?

• Kyle O'Reilly says:

Oh, they’re out there.  Waiting to trounce on any who dare accuse the game of misogyny or racism or all those things that Rockstar is famous for being.

• GaryX says:

I think, to some degree, Rockstar has been able to work out accusations of racism due to the satirical nature of Grand Theft Auto as a series. I also thought that Red Dead Redemption worked out a lot of the kinks and managed to have at least one female character who was presented as strong and self-sufficient in a world of men who only played at it (a low bar, granted, but we are talking about video games here where I’ll just take any progress at this point).

It will be a real bummer if GTA V regresses on that, but it’s history of female characters has always been much worse.

• Fluka says:

Ugh, there were some truly ugly conversations happening yesterday.  Rather than linking to any of the nasty misogyny or transphobia, however, I just want to point out this review comment, the most hilariously nonsensical reaction of all time.

• GaryX says:

@Fluka:disqus Haha wow. RELAX, lennevalkirye!

• Fluka says:

@GaryX:disqus “Stop criticizing the game, or I’LL REFUSE BUY IT!”  Uh…okay.

• Chalkdust says:

@Fluka:disqus Wow, that Celebrinando guy, keepin’ the dream alive.

“Hey, Assad!  Quit gassing your citizens or else…I won’t go to the next Kings basketball game!”

@Fluka:disqus See game reviewers? Your “bad” reviews do affect sales!

@Fluka:disqus  If my demands aren’t met, I’ll channel my pre-order money to seed a Kickstarter for the return of the Lilith Fair and a case of reusable menstrual cups!

• Simon Jones says:

Having played it…

Racism not so much.  I guess if you found San Andreas racist?

Misogyny…

Oh boy.

Women who appear for more than one scene are pretty decent. Not great but not terrible. They mostly have their own thing going on, they get played a bit broadly because we’re in a Wacky GTA. So better than Vice City, not as good as GTA IV.

The bit part ladies are a bit…less than progressive, to put it mildly.  Though at least some of it GTA equal opportunity unpleasentness that’s going to be read as misogyny, some of it is just unpleasent.

It’s not exactly helped by some fairly graphic sex scenes. Which are not played for their sexiness.

Also, more penises than I’ve seen in any game ever, including some games about penises.

• Unexpected Dave says:

@Fluka:disqus : That logic is so absurd that it actually loops back around to making sense. S/he is upset to hear that the game isn’t perfect, so s/he tries to “punish” the reviewer by cancelling the pre-order, an act which actually punishes the publisher. The net result is that the publisher is punished for making a game that isn’t perfect. That’s rational and reasonable.

It’s like trying to shoot the messenger, but missing so horribly that you accidentally shoot the person who caused the bad news in the first place.

I had something typed out and then realized that I am as sick and tired of talking about the protagonist choices as most of you are probably sick and tired of hearing me drone on about it.
          The game is out, any reactionary thoughts are now wasted. Best concentrate on the next game in development where this might actually move something.

@GaryX:disqus Reading the Polygon review, it sounds like GTAV is pretty dire on the ‘representing women’ front (reading the comments it sounds like many Polygon readers are also pretty dire in that respect).

I would suspect, given their experience with the (to my knowledge) racially uncontroversial GTA: San Adreas, and the fact that the game provides multiple protagonists of multiple (well, two) races, it may dodge allegations of racism. Though apparently there are missions that involve profiling people of Middle-Eastern descent, which sounds stupid and gross.

• zerocrates says:

@Fluka:disqus  “I invite everyone else who is annoyed by this review and has ordered the game here to do the same.”
          This person is confusing Gamespot and GameStop, right?

• Fluka says:

@zerocrates:disqus It’s either that, or the twiterrer is truly a master satirist.

• JamesJournal says:

@GaryX:disqus

Now that I’ve actually played GTA5 for a few hours I can say it has the same gender issues problems Rockstars other games have had.

While it is silly to decry the game for being about three dudes robbing things. Overall gender balance in the game is awful.

The only women who appear are shallow extensions of the male leads and their associates. The first big heist mission gives you the OPTION of hiring a female screw member but other than one female task giver (who is ultimately the sidekick of a more important player) there are no women operating on the level of Trevor, Michael and Franklin.

It’s a great game so far, but in this area it needs to join 2013

• Fluka says:

I hope not!  The lack of scores makes it unlikely that the hordes will descend upon the website for daring to give it a 9/10.  (*Still feels bad for that reviewer on Gamespot…*)

The Gameological Society: Metacritic doesn’t count us

• Simon Jones says:

I don’t agree with her review, mostly because I think she was targeting the completely wrong parts of the game as misogynistic and her offered solution was kind of hideously awkward but holy shit that was ugly as all hell and cast a pall over my desire to play the game for a while and made me kind of depressed.

I kinda wanted to yell at the Escapist guy, though. But I didn’t. Because that is something mad people do.

• Unexpected Dave says:

@HobbesMkii:disqus : And we don’t fucking count Metacritic!

• Kevin Johnson says:

I’ve yet to play GTA V, and I’m not sure if and when I’ll have enough time to dedicate myself to a sandbox game anymore, so I’m not sure if Petit’s review holds merit. She DID write this somewhat controversial piece about The Last of Us: http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-last-of-us-and-grading-on-the-gender-curve-6411051/

I think that might have soured a lot of people towards her opinions, although her argument has some merit. I DO disagree with it, mainly because she seems to intentionally skip the female characters that would have rendered her argument flawed – specifically Marlene, but also Joel’s brother’s wife (whose name escapes me).

• duwease says:

Don’t feel too bad.. I just went over to read it, and in the 5 minutes it tooks there were over 50 new comments added.. 24 hours after it was posted.

Of course, I’m basing this on the assumption that the internet is just a big Monsters Inc-style operation that turns human outrage into money, and she’s getting some of it.

• Citric says:

@duwease:disqus I assume that the various pictures of amusing cats are an attempt to find laughter energy?

• GaryX says:

WHAT YOU DON’T THINK GTA SHOULD BE GIVEN 14 STARS OUT OF 10????????????????????????????????

• We’re strictly reviewing the tennis and golf portions of GTAV, as we feel those are the elements that have the most to say about modern society through the satirical lens of Rockstar North.

(note: I’m lying)

• DrFlimFlam says:

After selling my copy of RDR and not terribly enjoying GTA4’s drab, serious world, I just don’t know if Rockstar does it for me anymore.

6. HobbesMkii says:

Given Agnello’s savaging of Puppeteer (PEGI rating: 7+) today, I thought that the Guardian had an interesting piece regarding grade disparity for games based on their target age, prompted by GTAV‘s universal acclaim so far. It also comes with this sweet visualization. Naturally, because they’re all British and whatnot, they use that nonsensical PEGI grouping by ages, rather than our more straightforward American letters like E, T, M, or AO.

The data is, naturally, fairly inconclusive (these are journalists, not sociologists, so it’s not like they’re isolating variables in order to figure out the ol’ causation/correlation conundrum), but I thought it was a relatively interesting look

• Unexpected Dave says:

“Just as with movies, a higher age certificate automatically reduces a publisher’s audience.”

I don’t think that’s true.

• GaryX says:

Yeah, not at all. Almost any gaming website should be proof enough of that.

I mean, we’re all 13, right?

Do European parents pay better attention to the PEGI ratings than Americans do the ESRB ratings? I thought that might’ve been one of those Euro-specific bits.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

Well, they’re technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

There is evidence that games rated for “Everyone” sell more units, collectively, than games rated for “Mature” audiences. This isn’t definite proof that the Guardian is right, but can be considered evidence in their favor. If we had better demographic information, we could draw tighter conclusions, but I only did a quick search for these numbers. The stats are from 2007 and 2010, respectively, so I can’t say how that’s changed in the last few years, but I doubt they’ve changed enough for Mature game sales to overtake the sales for games rated for Everyone.

• DrFlimFlam says:

It’s purely anecdotal, but hey, I’m much more likely to buy a game I can play when my son’s around than one I can only play when he’s asleep or gone, I’m alone, and I’m not so tired I just want to sleep.

We can play Pikmin all the time. I have to wait until I have the time to BioShock anything.

• Unexpected Dave says:

It depends on how you look at it, of course. But the reason that GTA and CoD sell millions of copies is because they are rated M.

One big difference between games and film is that, although lots of games are fun without violence, few developers have figured out how to be thrilling without explicit violence.

To take a crude example that illustrates the different paradigms: the protagonist in Jurassic Park the film spends most of the movie running away from dinosaurs. In the Jurassic Park video game, the protagonist spends most of the game hunting dinosaurs.

• Chum Joely says:

Well, the marketing departments at the video game companies seem to think so. At least for the Teen/MA/AO continuum. I remember seeing a lot of companies, including my own previous employer, bending over backwards to avoid the dreaded Adults Only label.

Potential audience, surely. Everyone can see an all ages film, and each higher rating chops a sliver off of that pie of people.

Nonsensical ratings system? How dare you, Sir?
      I would raise the Terror Alert to Mauve if there wasn’t a wind with Gale Force 6 outside and I was holding 4 fluid ounces of water in a 3 cup container while standing 11 3/4 inches above the floor.
      How dare you?

7. Hey Animal Crossing New Leaf bros (wrote it out un-abbreviated for the habitual CTRL-Fers), big news: Turnips selling for 27 bells in my town and falling.  This is bad, right?  Or does a really low beginning-of-week price promise great things to come?

• Wow, 27? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that horrendous. Either you have a spike coming later this week or you might set a new record, possibly one in the single digits.

Too early in the week to tell, sadly. Could be one of those… could just be random.

• SonjaMinotaur says:

Wow, that is amazingly bad (even considering I’m looking at 54 bells myself right now) but hopefully you’re on the random pattern. Or it could upswing later in the week? I think if you had the true descending pattern it would have started out at 70-90ish then dropped incrementally from there. But who knows?

• DrFlimFlam says:

Thonky has a guide that’s helpful, but the basic deal is that a low price early in the week doesn’t mean anything in and of itself. What you want to check is how the price is moving. If it’s jumping up and down, you’re not ever going to see a great price, but you can try to strike when it’s in the high 100s.

What you’re really looking for are “spike patterns.” If your price pattern starts out Monday morning (prices are from Re-Tail’s opening until noon, and then noon until closing) at a high and descends (usually rather gently – for example, I had 96 Monday AM and then 94 Monday PM), you need to watch for a price rebound. The first one is a harbinger of either two or three more rises. The Small Spike pattern goes like, 100, 218, 600, and then prices deflate after that (this is what I had last week). The big spike has four steps, so 100, 145, 230, 600, and you really want to know which spike you’re looking at because it can make a huge difference in what you take home, of course. One time I sold at 218 and then prices were 660 in the afternoon and I was, how you say, super upset.

This week I bought 46 stacks of turnips, so I’m paying especially close attention to pricing. I’ll try to keep the Steam community posted on how it goes.

• Awesome, thanks @drflimflam:disqus !  I have around 30 stacks, which represented a few days work at my stage in the game.

That said, this game rules and every day there’s some charming new shop/character/item popping up for me to discover.

Speaking of Steam, the Midweek Madness sale is Gunpoint at 50% off.  That’s $4.99 for the regular version!

• Also La-Mulana, which somebody told me is like 2D Dark Souls or Spelunky-esque, is 3 bucks all week.  I have no idea when I’ll get around to it, but 3 dollars is irresistible if Dark Souls is in the conversation.

• stepped_pyramids says:

@httplovecraft:disqus La-Mulana is only superficially like Spelunky. It’s in the vein of Metroid or Faxanadu, in that it features a large interconnected world where you progress by collecting items that give you powers that allow you to surmount new obstacles. Like Metroid, the game is split into distinct areas with their own graphics, enemies, music, and area bosses.

It’s also very difficult, and not particularly forgiving of failure. I don’t know if the remake softens any of the hardcore elements, though. It was an enjoyable game to play and the music and graphics are lovely.

• Thanks for the mini-review, @stepped_pyramids:disqus , sounds up my alley and something to tamp down my not-playing-GTA V-right-this-second-every-second ennui.

• duwease says:

Crap, I just bought that too.  Good game, though!

• SonjaMinotaur says:

Is this the slippery slope that’s going to get me to join Steam? So I can follow turnip prices?

• Huh, my Stalk market recovered up to 120 this morning! @drflimflam:disqus , does this mean spike pattern and I should wait for it to go over 300?

• DrFlimFlam says:

It’s certainly possible, @httplovecraft:disqus. If it trends up again this afternoon, you’re looking at a high price tomorrow morning or afternoon. The general rule of thumb, I guess, is to sell over 250, but not under it, because a price under 250 probably has at least one more bump in it.

8. ItsTheShadsy says:

YOLO actually sounds like aZelda monster name. All those in favor of renaming this guy Yolo?

YOLOATRATLCOUYCFHISRPP

You Only Live Once And Then Restart At The Last Checkpoint Or Until You Can Find Hearts In Some Random Person’s Pottery.

• duwease says:

You Only Live Once Unless You’re Link Or Zelda Or Ganon Apparently Then There’s A Cycle Or Something I’m A Little Confused By The Canon

..too long?

I liked your comment referring to a Like-Like, a name that takes on a whole new meaning post-Facebook.

• Unexpected Dave says:

LIKE-LIKE 4 LIFE-LIFE

9. Kyle O'Reilly says:

Also, not a commerical release per se, but the LA Game Space are putting out the first wave of their experimental indie game pack.  Even if you didn’t donate to the kickstarter you can still get the pack for 15 bucks which is cool.  https://gamepacks.net/

I think of it as a nice counterbalance to GTA V.  It’s amazing that in the same week I can pick up a media-powerhouse that encompasses a living breathing world and reportedly cost over 200 mil, and then download a bunch of outsider, experimental art-games that look like they had a budget consisting of thick-rimmed glasses, pita chips and Kraftwerk LPs.

I’m equally excited for both.

10. The_Helmaroc_King says:

In other news: Volition is trolling Rockstar with their new GAT V DLC for Saints Row IV, free for today only, apparently.

• By some accounts you can even ‘install’ this content if you don’t currently own SR4 or the Inauguration Station, so if you ever plan on getting this game, may as well try and get this free today before it goes jumps to $2.99.

11. beema says:

Today is the day I find out how many of my friends are closet video game fans when they all post about GTAV

• Simon Jones says:

I was seriously disturbed by how few people under 30 I was seeing around today. Like, it wasn’t a wasteland or anything but enough were missing that it was noticable.

• neodocT says:

It is amazing how many people I caught reading GTA reviews during classes and in the library yesterday. I thought of taking pictures and making a count, but I got lazy.

12. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

bloop.

13. huge_jacked_man says:

Is this Wind Waker screenshot from the final, retail version of the remake? I thought they toned down the bloom after people complained but it looks ridiculous.

14. Chalkdust says:

In other _______ III related-news, Diablo III auction houses will be removed early next year.  Entirely.

15. Citric says:

Instead of all this nonsense about grandly thefting autos, I bought a 3DS for some reason. Take that, zeitgeist!

• Which one didja get?  I got a Black XL when it launched (about a month ago?) and have been taking it everywhere with me.

• Citric says:

Big ol’ red XL. It was $50 off!

• Whatcha playin’ whatcha playin’?  All my time has gone into the Steamworld Dig and Animal Crossing, and I have Donkey Kong Country Returns which is all but ignored.

• Citric says:

I got the Professor Layton and Luigi’s Mansion, but I haven’t technically started anything since I just bought it at noon. I can’t resist Layton, no matter how hard I try.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

AHHH, is the professor layton on 3DS out already!? How does the 3D work in the puzzles? I thought I heard there would be some that took advantage of that. Fuck, I need to get some extra cash and pick up an XL.

• Chalkdust says:

@Douchetoevsky:disqus It’s been out since before summer at least… I don’t remember any puzzles making integral use of 3D, but the characters and settings are all lovely models now instead of just drawings. Since Dragon Quest VIII, Level 5 has really mastered making 3D models look drawn.
          It does also have a YEAR of slated downloadable puzzles, 1 a day across… 12 different puzzle types?  Varying difficulties.  As you complete them, you unlock furniture that you can use to decorate a little isometric office.  That reminds me, I gotta see what they’ve added since I last checked.

• @Douchetoevsky:disqus & @Chalkdust_TMAI:disqus It came out almost a year ago, actually, back in October. I was particularly surprised by how the traditional animation cutscenes looked absolutely lovely in 3D and how the new 3D-ish world exploring worked, so that you’re peering around rooms and streets rather than just tapping everything in sight (apparently Ace Attorney 5 does a similar thing with its exploration sections). The puzzles only benefit in the sense that many more of them involve beefed up animated polygons because of all the extra horsepower, plus instead of 52 weekly puzzles we got 365 daily puzzles (which are running out in a month! gah! I’ve got to go back and finish them!)

• Citric says:

Apparently there’s going to be two new Professor Layton things next year: the sequel to this and Layton vs. Phoenix Wright.

ALRIGHT NINTENDO FINE YOU CAN HAVE ALL MY MONEY ARE YOU HAPPY?

16. Effigy_Power says:

I am genuinely surprised that there’s a market for games like Infinity Blade 3 on tablets.
    What’s the point of graphics of this fidelity when you’ll be covering half the screen with your hands most of the time anyways to swipe at stuff?
    Swiping as a control concept must go the way of some of the more outrageous controller concepts. I hate it and it is therefore invalid and must die.

• DrFlimFlam says:

I have IB 1 and 2 (paid $1 for the first, the second was free), and while I did sink maybe two hours into the first one, eventually you just tire of the gameplay. It looks good, sure, but it’s not very fun, at least to me.

And on the iPhone especially, any game that looks good is also 50% fat fingers, so yeah.

17. Dariusz G. Jagielski says:

One thing I like about cel-shaded games is that they age well. They look as good now as they looked when they were released.

High polycount doesn’t matter for them much.

I can play Crash Bandicoot, Rayman 2, Wind Waker and Mario64 and I’m amazed by its graphics even now.

Yet when trying to play some games that were supposed to look realistic, like first Battlefield or first Call of Duty, I can’t overcome this vomitting sensation when even trying to look on their graphics.

18. NakedSnake says:

My plan for playing GTA V is to pick up The Saboteur and play that instead. I missed it the first time around.

I found it to be so bad and uninspired that I ditched it two hours in. Others have claimed that it’s better than that, so take from that what you will.

• NakedSnake says:

Well I think I still have some unresolved issues with Nazis, so I’ll take the risk since so few games feature Nazis these days. Seriously, zombies have almost entirely replaced Nazis as the “morally acceptable” human-shaped kill targets in video games. What’s a Nazi-hater to do?

19. JokersNuts says:

I might have to shelf GTA5 and play Zelda this weekend.

20. DrZaloski says:

I’m just excited for the gamepad map and the Master Mode thing in Wind Waker, and I’ve heard that Wonderful 101 is super hard. I haven’t enjoyed being angry at a game in years.

21. Penis Van Lesbian says:

In theory, I would love to play GTAV; in practice, not so much. I find it really hard to make nasty choices in a game, whether it’s Civ or Dishonoured (two games I like).

I don’t mind it when the game makes those choices for me (Last of Us was one of my favourite games of all time), but when I’m an active agent in those choices, I insist on behaving like a saint, and GTA just doesn’t reward that style of play in my experience.

Not only do I have no interest in beating up hookers, even in a game world, I want to give them some money to go back to college.

GTA not only doesn’t reward that type of gameplay, it typically doesn’t even allow or acknowledge it. Which I guess is a valid design decision (Mario, likewise, doesn’t let me donate to the Goombas’ college funds), but not one I find at all interesting.

• JamesJournal says:

GTA forces you to kill people just like TLOU. You don’t have to shoot random people crossing the street, but “kill X criminal.” Is a common goal thing to have happen.

On the other hand, GTA5 does operate on a different level of the moral spectrum because you play as a crew of bank robbers and not some destitute immigrant doing whatever jobs legal or not to survive.

You end up in far more shoot outs with cops, vs the Niko days where the politics of the criminal underworld was your real problem