News Item

Season Two of Telltale’s The Walking Dead starts this year, stars Clementine

By Matt Gerardi • October 30, 2013

After an excruciatingly long period of radio silence, Telltale Games has dropped the first details regarding the second season of its The Walking Dead video game. The first episode of the new season will be released “later this year” on PC, Mac, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The rest of the story will play out in 2014. The computer versions are available for preorder now with a slight discount on both Steam and the game’s official site. If you played season one and this year’s bonus episode, 400 Days, be sure to hang onto your game save because decisions made in earlier episodes will have an effect on how Season Two’s events play out, according to Telltale.

The new season’s story will start off “many months” after the conclusion of the first, with players taking on the role of Clementine, the orphaned little girl at the heart of the game’s events. One of the selling points Telltale is harping on is that the new season will test the 8-year-old’s “morals and instincts for survival.” Let’s hope Clementine is less of a monster than most 8-year-olds, otherwise she’s likely to leave a trail of bloody mayhem in her wake.

39 Responses to “Season Two of Telltale’s The Walking Dead starts this year, stars Clementine”

1. Cloks says:

I wonder how this’ll affect players like me, who saved Kenny but not Clementine.

2. Roswulf says:

I’m absolutely dreading Season Two. As someone who affirmatively sucks at video games, my play-through of Season One involved an awful lot of watching Lee get devoured by Zombies. I’m not sure I can watch Clem die a couple dozen times.

*Shudder*

I’m also extraordinarily excited about Season Two. Choosing Clem as the Season Two player character could push the Telltale folks to explore gaming narratives from a different perspective. Player avatars are so often given charisma superpowers, treated as the natural leaders of their groups. That’s not going to work with Clementine, and I’ll be fascinated to see how the Walking Dead works when your companions aren’t as likely to be swayed to adopt the player’s plans. There’s a whole new level of powerlessness to be explored, and I’m hopeful Telltale can do some wonderfully inventive things with it.

That would be fun, yeah. It would be interesting to NOT play the de facto leader of whatever group you end up with for a change. Then you’d have the dynamic of having to choose to follow the leader’s orders or go off on your own.

• Tearinitup says:

Have their been other games like that? I can’t think of one.

• The_Misanthrope says:

It’s funny to think that while there have been plenty of games that let you play as children, it is usually as children with lots of agency. I remember in Earthbound that your mom goes into this speech at the beginning about how worried she is that her son is venturing out into the world on some insane quest, but then she basically just lets you go on your way.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish was a really shitty example of “play as an actual kid”. When your parents were around, if you didn’t respond to their commands fast enough, they would get mad at you and send you to military school. This resulted in me losing the game no less than three times before I even finished the intro.

• beema says:

man, you must REALLY suck at video games. TWD had some of the easiest QTE’s in gaming history. Do you know what a button is?

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

So we’ve got a Reposted IGN Comments gimmick account now?

• Roswulf says:

Aw, to be fair, I REALLY DO suck at video games to the extent they resemble QTEs. Terrible coordination and reflexes, bad equipment (trackpad away!), and since I played very few twitch-y games in my youth I never developed the right skills back when my brain was squishy.

But it’s only an issue with certain genres (platformers bad), multiplayer, and games that kill adorable children if you fail.

• beema says:

ah yeah, I didn’t even know you could play this with a track pad. I think I just plugged in my xbox controller to my PC to play it. Makes button mashing easy

To be fair, the game is super buggy, and sometimes the game won’t fucking respond to your inputs.

• caspiancomic says:

That’s an interesting take on what it’ll be like to play as Clem. I’ve been going back and forth on whether I think it was a good idea to have us controlling Clem directly, as opposed to caring for her through a character, but I like this idea of playing as a character who isn’t always in charge of the situation, it’ll probably make the stakes feel a lot higher if you fall in with a group that feels like it can make your decisions for you. How you surrender to or fight against the will of such a group could make for some very compelling, tense gameplay.

I was actually a little worried to even hear that Clem would be returning at all at first. I was hoping Telltale would say that the season 1 story was basically over, and would start fresh with a new group of survivors for season 2. I thought the ambiguity of Clem’s fate was the perfect conclusion for season 1, since the player could extrapolate what her path was likely to look like based on the guidance and advice they gave her over the course of the game’s five chapters. I wasn’t sure if Telltale’s vision of what happens to Clementine could hold up when compared to the version of that story that already exists inside a lot of peoples’ minds.

But the more I think about it, the more I’m kind of excited. The conceit of Kirkman’s comic, after all, is that we’re going to follow Rick’s entire story and will never be forced to ask ourselves ‘what happens next?’ The games adopting a similar practice with Clementine’s story could make for a pretty compelling experience.

Besides, if we were expected to play as another character with a parental relationship to Clementine it might have felt like an attempt to replace Lee, which probably would have been met with some resistance (from both Clem and the player.) Having to play a character who was forming that bond for the first time when the player already felt that connection to her would have been disorienting, so having us instead invest our feelings for Clem into the character directly is an interesting direction to take it in.

I’m still a little turned around by the whole reveal, you can probably tell. But fundamentally I’m still really excited for this one. Bring it on, Telltale!

While I’m interested in the idea of playing as, rather than ‘caring for’ a little girl protagonist, one thing that gives me a tiny bit of pause is that, if we’re given agency over Clem’s choices, does that invalidate any of the ‘parenting’ choices we made the first game? Or will the attitudes we inculcated Clem with shape/limit our agency with her? That would be cool. Like, if your Lee had impressed upon Clem a grudging pragmatism and disregard for human life, maybe your Clem will have more “fuck ’em, let em die” choices, whereas another Clem might have other options available.

I forget, could you opt not to tell Clem how to shoot a gun? That could have interesting ramifications.

• caspiancomic says:

That’s a pretty cool idea, I like that a lot. It would really emphasize how much of an impact Lee’s guidance had on Clem’s outlook.

If I remember correctly, teaching Clem to shoot is mandatory, but after that you get several opportunities emphasize or downplay the importance of guns. Like, when you get attacked by walkers in the service station near the end of chapter 3 and Clem chokes up, you can teach her either “be willing to pull the trigger” or something more neutral like “always be careful.” Through chapters 3, 4, and 5 you also get several opportunities to give her a gun or encourage her to shoot, or you can TCB yourself. Throughout my playthrough I tended to encourage Clem to be creative and avoid combat, so she didn’t do much shooting in my story. It’ll be interesting to see if that handicaps her in chapter 2.

• Roswulf says:

I can not imagine how devastating it would be to find out that my Lee raised Clem to be an unfeeling psychopath.

The more I think about it, the more I think that centering Season 2 on Clem is a high risk/high reward storytelling play by Telltale. It really could be something special.

3. Spencer Greenfield says:

The only thing I can think when watching this is “I hope she’ll be okay,” and “I’m not sure I’m ready for this again.”

4. Tearinitup says:

Wolf Among Us just renewed my appetite for more Walking Dead – so excited for this. I’m pre-ordering my Xanax now.

5. Tearinitup says:

Also, what’s a brother gotta do to get an AC 4 review up in this piece? Started it last night – so far so good, with one crappy chase mission (good god, I hate those).

6. BuddhaBox says:

Keep that wait short, Telltale.

7. beema says:

So psyched for this

8. boardgameguy says:

This only reinforces my need to play the first one, stat. Do we know how many season’s Tell Tale is going to make before it’s all said and done?

• DrFlimFlam says:

Who knows what adventures they’ll have between now and the time the games become unprofitable?

I’d venture a guess as three seasons. That’s been the limit for most of their games so far.

• Roswulf says:

Oh man, I just realized I’m going to be the over-invested person everyone makes fun of who goes ballistic when Clem dies at the end of Walking Dead 3, even when it makes dramatic sense.

Twill be my Mass Effect.

Steam is doing a big-time sale on all sort of spooky-ooky games. Now might be a good chance to pick it up on the super-cheap ($6.24).

Also, in good cheap games:
      The Void is only $1.99
      I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is 2.50 (2.99 on GOG, DRM-free)
      Sleeping Dogs is $5 (I guess there’s Halloween DLC for $1.40?)
      Brother: A Tale of Two Sons (when did THAT come out on PC? And when did it become a Haloween game?) is like $7.50.

• caspiancomic says:

Woah, thanks for the heads up, I didn’t know there was a sale on. The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, available for Mac, for like twelve bucks? Tempting…

Nice! I’ve been wanting to play I Have No Mouth for at least a decade since I read about it in a game magazine, but never got around to it. Now I’ve got it in my Steam inventory, where I will probably also never get around to it!

Also got the Sleeping Dogs Halloween DLC, the Legacy of Kain collection, and Darksiders 1!

And in the DRM-free GOG aisle:
        -Pathologic for $2.50 (a great pairing with The Void, if you want to be driven Slavically insane)
        -All the Gabriel Knights, 2.40 apiece
        -I Have No Mouth, as mentioned above, 2.99
        -Penumbra collection, 2.50
        -Amnesia: Dark Descent $8
        -Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, $14

And other shizzle.

• boardgameguy says:

Thanks for the tip!

9. DrZaloski says:

My body is really not ready yet.

10. zgberg says:

I wonder if they used the name Clementine as a dig against the kid’s cartoon Caillou, which also has a little African American girl named Clementine. I’m thinking one of the game developers is so sick and tired of that blasted cartoon, he took out his aggression on the character by incorporating her into a video game about suffering.