Keyboard Geniuses

Super Mario RPG

Hate Squad Monopoly

Highlights from the week’s comment threads.

By Matt Kodner • October 18, 2013

Keyboard Geniuses is our weekly glance at a few intriguing, witty, or otherwise notable posts from the Gameological discussion threads. Comments have been excerpted and edited here for grammar, length, and/or clarity. You can follow the links to see the full threads.

Bowser’s Unending Bitterness

In a To The Bitter End column, Anthony John Agnello revisited the final moments of Super Mario RPG: The Legend Of The Seven Stars, more commonly known as that Mario game with the unwieldy title. Anthony broke down what the game’s ending implies about the constant conflict of Mario’s world by showing that despite Bowser’s constant meddling, The Mushroom Kingdom is a pretty chipper spot full of magic and whimsy. As Newton Gimmick pointed out, not even Mario RPG’s big bad, Smithy, is immune that Kingdom’s charm:

Even Smithy attends the parade at the end. The magic of the Mushroom Kingdom has ensnared him. He’s blessed (or perhaps cursed) to live forever in the endless cycle of triumph and defeat that all villains must endure. The key to being a happy villain in the Mushroom Kingdom is to enjoy the temporary victories, and take the inevitable Mario beatdown in stride. Booster Gold found happiness that way.

Flying Turtle built on Anthony’s reading of the Mushroom Kingdom as a harmonious place and came up with a novel theory explaining Bowser’s continuing struggle:

I like to think that the only real conflict between Mario and Bowser happened in Super Mario Bros. and that the subsequent “rescue the princess” games are the Mushroom Kingdom’s equivalent of Civil War re-enactments. Sometimes they make a weekend of it with baseball/soccer/tennis/go-kart racing, because why not?

Rise Of The Robo-Games
Stone Age

Stone Age

Jason Reich dropped in to give us a guide to the best board games available on the iPad. According to Jason, the American games that I love, like Monopoly, are widely hated by the inner-circle of board game enthusiasts. They even call them “Ameritrash.” Harumph! Fyodor Douchetoevsky also took issue with the phrase but clarified its meaning a bit:

Board game snobs use Ameritrash to describe theme heavy games with slapdash mechanics (such as Arkham Horror), whereas Eurogames are mechanically solid but thematically dry (like Carcassonne). Monopoly and Risk are just referred to as trash by board game snobs, by and large.

It’s also worth noting that Ameritrash is more a term of endearment at this point than an insult. And that the coolest games combine both theme and mechanics that fit that theme, without a lot of superfluous stuff.

Speaking of Monopoly, forget everything you think you know about it. Derek Kupper is about to blow your mind, because you and the whole world have been doing it wrong:

One of the things about Monopoly—95 percent of people don’t play by the actual rules. The two biggest ones that are played “wrong” are: Free Parking doesn’t get you any money—it’s just a spot a blank spot to land on. And any property that is not purchased when you land on it is immediately put up for auction. Anyone can bid, even the player that landed on it. Playing like that makes a much more cutthroat and aggressive game.

If you wanted another reason to hate Monopoly, you’re in luck, because Nattyish linked us to a silly comic starring angry dinosaurs yelling about the game:

The best explanation of why Monopoly is possibly the worst game ever created comes courtesy of Dinosaur Comics. It’s horrific and so true. http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1944

Ah, dinosaurs. Nature’s finest philosophers.

Digital Doofus
Assassin's Creed

For this week’s Q&A, we dished on which protagonists we hated the most. (I didn’t pitch in because hating The Walking Dead’s Lee for being voiced by that Hulu guy seemed a little harsh.) Aurora Boreanaz’s first pick got jacked by Anthony John Agnello, so he voiced his concerns with another bloke:

My Honorable Mention would go to your character in Diablo. I really frigging hated the storyline there. I spend all of this time hunting down the king’s son who freaked out after stabbing himself in the forehead with a dark gem and becoming the manifestation of a demon prince. So what do I do after finally defeating him? Stab myself in the face with that same gem? Screw that.

So in Diablo II you’re hunting down your character from Diablo, who has (surprise, surprise) not been able to control the gem and turned into Diablo again.

I love the forehead-stabbing imagery there. Anyhow, maybe you’ve forgotten about Daxter, of Jack And Daxter quasi-fame. Well, Dikachu hasn’t, and he dika-chu-choo-choosed him for an answer:

Let us not forget Daxter from the Jak & Daxter series. That little bastard always has some semi-clever quip ready to go. And when you die, he hovers over your face yelling insults. God, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to physically force myself not to throw the controller right between his eyes.

Ending on a hateful note. I like that! Well, folks, that’s it. Thanks, as always, for reading and commenting. And yes, we will see you next week—same comment cat time, same comment cat…channel?

112 Responses to “Hate Squad Monopoly”

1. stakkalee says:

Howdy folks! This being the final Keyboard Geniuses before we’re folded back into the AVC-proper I thought a retrospective would be in order, so stay tuned for a ton of links! First, I’ll hit you with our Top 5 Most Commented articles. Those were:

1) With 576 comments, John Teti’s coverage of the PS4 unveiling.

2) With 515 comments, the Q&A about games we never finished.

3) With 424 comments, John’s review of Bioshock Infinite.

4) With 414 comments, Bob Mackey’s For Our Consideration article about separating the art from the artist, with special guest Doug Tennapel!

5) With 396 comments, the Q&A about our favorite design tropes.

In addition, we had 14 WAYPTW threads get to 250+ comments, with the longest WAYPTW thread being this one with 334 comments, where the GS staff just interviewed themselves (the lazy bastards!)

Next up, here’s a by-no-means exhaustive collection of some of the fine artwork that’s graced our comment threads from some of the many fine artists in our midst. Here they are, in no particular order:

1) @Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus gave us this gruesome scene of carnage (comment here.)

2) @Effigy_Power:disqus brings us John and AJ in LEGO form! (comment here.)

3) @Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus shows us what those dice REALLY were! (comment here.)

4) @Effigy_Power:disqus Schultzifies our illustrious editor and his Digest guests. (comment here.)

5) @NakedManHoldingAFudgesicle:disqus shamelessly panders. (comment here.)

6) @Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus mocks Drew, but lovingly. (comment here.)

7) @Effigy_Power:disqus again, bringing us a Digest-themed comic. (comment here.)

8) @Mooy:disqus brings us one of the earliest Digest-themed pieces. (comment here.)

9) @Effigy_Power:disqus lets us know the final fate of Drew’s moustache. (comment here.)

10) @Effigy_Power:disqus again, bringing us the adventures of Hercule Drewtoal. (comment here.)

11) @Paraclete_Pizza:disqus Calvinizes Teti. (comment here.)

12) @Effigy_Power:disqus luchadorifies Drew, John and AJ.

13) @Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus gives us Soupy’s portrait.

14) @Paraclete_Pizza:disqus imagines The Digest as an Atari cartridge.

Awesome, excellent stuff. Next up, the most liked comments!

• Cloks says:

Thanks for doing this week after week!

Stak, you are rad. Keep being rad.

• caspiancomic says:

Stak, you’re a gentleman and a scholar. These have been an absolute blast every week. Even if keeping this sort of thing rolling after the merger is too much to ask, I hope you’ll continue to be a presence in the comments, you’re a massive part of what makes this site so special.

• NakedSnake says:

Woah. This is amazing, man. Thanks! These Soupys, though, whet my appetite for one final snapshot: do you have a list/spreadsheet of the complete comment cat leaderboards? It would be interesting to see the whole universe of people who have been smiled up by that crazy cat.

• stakkalee says:

I think I’m going to try to keep the same list going, and I plan on cleaning it up and dumping it on Google Docs sometime soon. So stay tuned! But not too closely, because I’m a lazy bastard. By the by, there were a total of 231 unique commenters chosen by Soupy.

Clicking through all these links you’ve posted caused me to explore all the other comments in those articles.

What a great community.

Thank you all.

• Jackbert says:

Stak. You’re great. I’m sure doing this every week is tough. Thank you.

Already misty here, but I do like seeing my name and my achievements listed like that.
      I will miss this.

Where have you been? We’ve missed your righteous indignation during these tumultuous times.

I was too disappointed to really be angry about this. I am really sad to see a great community be absorbed into a much larger one I care precious little about.
          Feels a bit like being dumped… Sad.

Oh. When you put it like that it is sad. Damn.

• Kyle O'Reilly says:

Being dumped by tons of tiny Disqus avatars simultaneously would be sad.

• SamPlays says:

I never realized the Internet had feelings. This is important.

*jots note on back of receipt haphazardly laid on desk*

• TreeRol says:

The Internet does not have feelings. It only has “feels.”

• “You know what….it’s over.”

*downvote*

• PaganPoet says:

Well I hope I still see you around. Out of all the world-weary, video game loving lesbians I know, you’re in the top three.

;)

Also, I like calling you “Effie.” It helps me imagine you as a full-figured black soul singer.

If I had a nickle for every time someone called me that…

It’s like that episode of Freaks & Geeks (Carded and Discarded) when Maureen just kind of stops sitting at the geek table and starts sitting at the cheerleader table. Except that everyone involved is already a geek in this scenario.

• EmperorNortonI says:

My feelings have been much the same. I couldn’t even bring myself to open the site this week.

• SamPlays says:

*turns on dehumidifier*
        *Effigy Power’s single tear evaporates*
        *dumps out dehumidifier reservoir*
        *hands Visine to Effigy Power*

• John Teti says:

Hi all,

I’m sorry this was unclear in my original announcement—I can see where the confusion arose. But Gameological is not becoming part of The A.V. Club just yet. It’s just that next week, our publication is being scaled back in preparation for that move. (There are boring behind-the-scenes reasons for making these changes in steps.) So there are still a few weeks left of The Gameological Society on its own before it becomes Gameological on The A.V. Club.

• neodocT says:

Woah, wait, what? I’ve been a bit absent for the last few weeks, but I totally missed this announcement! Where was my memo?!

2. stakkalee says:

We’ll continue with the Soupys, the Top 10 Most Liked Keyboard Geniuses comments:

1) The single most-liked comment on the site, KG or non-KG, came from @Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus, getting 96 likes on this bit of art appreciation.

2) @HobbesMkii:disqus got 88 likes on this thoughtful comment about separating the art from the artist.

3) @Staggering_Stew_Bum:disqus got 74 likes for this imagined dialogue.

4) @feisto:disqus got 62 likes for defending John’s take on the PS4,

5)/b> While @Llodes:disqus got 56 likes for taking issue with the coverage.

6) @Charlotte_Grote:disqus got 43 likes for this tragic story.

7) @Flying_Turtle:disqus got 40 likes imagining all the pain and trouble Family Feud has caused.

8) Jack Liddon (@twitter-147514214:disqus) got 38 likes reminiscing about Tattoo Assassins.

8)Tied with Jack, @Paraclete_Pizza:disqus psychoanalyzes Mario.

10) And last, but by no means least, @Effigy_Power:disqus got 35 likes for this feminist rant about the double-standards in character attire.

And now the Top 10 Most Liked Non-KG comments:

1) With 70 likes, @Douchetoevsky:disqus has a valid point.

2) With 60 likes, @Spacemonkey_Mafia:disqus microtransacts the Unification War.

3) With 55 likes, @LoveWaffle:disqus spits at the end of this comment.

4) @AHyperKineticLagomorph:disqus got 51 likes for this opinion on EA’s actions with regard to Medal of Honor:Warfighter.

4) Tied at fourth, @Douchetoevsky:disqus gives us his opinion on the AAA marketplace.

6) @Citric:disqus got 50 likes for this comment/commenter synergy.

6) Tied at sixth with 50 likes, here’s @Effigy_Power:disqus and her must-read response to Doug Tennapel.

8) beema (@disqus_sQHGuq3cMa:disqus) got 45 likes for channelling Navi.

8) Another tie, @Kilzor:disqus asks “Won’t somebody please think of the tombs!?

10) With 44 likes @DwigtKSchrute:disqus let’s us in on the technical limitations of the PS3.

And that’s The Gameological Society in a nutshell – thoughtful comments, good humor, laughter, tears, and an unrivaled spirit of camaraderie. Stay tuned for one more post.

• PaganPoet says:

Hey stakkalee, just to echo the thanks of other users, we appreciate you recording and compiling our stats. I hope the increased user base at the AVClub doesn’t make this too overwhelming for you so I can still post like-bait comments over there and have my name pop up now and then!

“OF COCK, CANCERAIDS AND SIMPSONS QUOTES”

When did all of Tennapel’s comments get deleted?

They didn’t agree with his perception of the freedom of speech.

Yeah, I’m not exactly sorry they’re gone, but I remember the commenting from the staff to the effect that they deleted less than a handful of comments. I have to conclude he decided to impeach his own freedom by deleting them himself or something? I didn’t know you could do that.

Perhaps I’m giving him too much credit, but it’s nice to think that maybe he’s actually capable of being ashamed of his behavior.

• stakkalee says:

I noticed that when I was compiling my links; I have to assume he deleted his own account. The rest of that thread is just golden, though.

• John Teti says:

Comments automatically disappear when they’re flagged too many times by other commenters. We don’t monitor old comment threads, obviously, so I guess since the time when the discussion was active enough people have come across Tennapel’s comments, found them over-the-line objectionable, and flagged them. We didn’t delete any of his comments.

Aha. Well, than answers the question of whether @paraclete_pizza:disqus was giving him too much credit or not.

• Wow, I wouldn’t have expected that! I didn’t comment here too much but I did love this site with all my heart, read it every day, and though I know it’s not /really/ going away it’ll be sad because all you guys down here in the comments made it a really uniquely interesting and positive place to talk and read about video games. Hopefully it can stay just as pure and upbeat at the ol’ AV Club.

*dramatically walks out of the bar, looks back one last time*

Woah there Hitler.

*turns off light switch*

• Also, clicking through these have led me to rediscovering this. God I’m going to miss this site.

3. Newton Gimmick says:

Hey Matt Kodner: The “guest commenter” behind the Mario RPG comment was my old account, Unexpected Dave (linked to my @evad_dalrymp Twitter account), which was eaten by Disqus. My theory is that changing my username to “Pun-Expected Dave” caused Disqus to explode with rage.

4. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Weekend Prompt!
    I can’t remember what game it was, I can’t even remember what year, what system or where I was. But I do remember being so engrossed in whatever I was playing that my mouth, hanging open and slack, produced a string of saliva long enough to visibly puddle on the crotch of my pants.
    Video games literally turned me into a drooling idiot.

Tantrums, broken controllers, forcing others into unwanted and overlong conversations;
    What are your embarrassing game stories?

• Carlton_Hungus says:

Oooh, this may not be the most embarrassing but being so recent it certainly sticks in my mind.

Playing GTA Online (although this would apply, and has occurred, during COD games as well), without my earpiece in so other people talking is being played on the TV, and having my wife come in and listen to the type of people that play those games and blab through their headsets.

The mixture of racism, profanity, and just plain idiocy is tough to explain to the loved one.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

I have uttered (okay, yelled) far too many expletives over Call of Duty. I’ve changed, though: I don’t play Call of Duty anymore.

I have also been far too petty about games of Super Smash Bros.. For a company that makes “party games”, it’s like Nintendo wants me to ruin friendships.

• PaganPoet says:

This one is not my embarrassment so much, I did borrow my friend’s NES and NES games once, only to fire up his copy of Zelda and discover that he had named his character “Kaletra” after his HIV meds. I laughed so hard, I died.

• caspiancomic says:

I’ve definitely had a couple of “drooling idiot” sessions, where I continued to play long after a game had stopped being fun or challenging, and well past the point where my body had begun shutting down. Off the top of my head: I played DOOM one Sunday afternoon until my vision started to blur, my friends and I played God of War in my butty’s living room until his mom woke up the next morning to go to work and was shocked to see us still up, and some of my old elementary school friends and I would play Mortal Kombat 3 for hours until one of us admitted to being bored, at which point we would all confess we weren’t having fun anymore.

In terms of playing games in embarrassing situations? Is anyone familiar with colyte? I’ll spare you the details, but basically imagine spending 12-18 hours sitting on the toilet with a DS in one hand and a gallon of medical grade pineapple-flavoured laxatives in the other. This is after spending two straight days on an empty stomach already. It isn’t what you’d call pleasant.

• NakedSnake says:

Haha, I have definitely had those Mortal Kombat moments before. I think that the game keeps going b/c no one wants to invite the conflict that will occur with “what should we do now?” Inevitably, one or two friends leave when the next activity begins.

• SamPlays says:

The slight degree of ambiguity in your final statement doesn’t suggest it’s unpleasant either.

• DrFlimFlam says:

I played MLB 2003 so much that my wrists started to hurt from the rumble in the controller. I actually played an entire season.

And then never even played the playoffs.

• stakkalee says:

I think I’ve shared this story before, but my wife walked into the room during one of my play sessions on Assassin’s Creed 3, right at the point where Ben Franklin is extolling the virtues of banging older chicks. She barely said anything, just muttered a rhetorical “What are you playing?” and walked off, shaking her head.

• ProfFarnsworth says:

I have two rather embarrassing video game stories. The first is when I was playing Mass Effect 2 and something jumped out at me and I screamed, loudly. So loudly in fact that my wife, who was asleep upstairs came running downstairs with her shoe and tried to stop “the attacker” she feared was going to kill me.

My second story was when I played FFVII for the first time. My friend and I loved it and were totally taken aback by how much there was to do in this new game. We stayed up all night one night and unfortunately for me, my parents decided to have really loud sex next to my bedroom thinking that my friend and I were asleep. Needless to say, my friend was not allowed to come to my house anymore and I was grounded for a month.

Those are both phenomenal. Though I hardly understand why you and your friend were punished for your parent’s inability to utilize either gags, horse riding bits, or the context clue of a sleepover night not being the best night to engage in loud sex.

• Kyle O'Reilly says:

I cried when my older brother deleted my almost completed save in Final Fantasy Tactics and my mom had to drive me to A&W to cheer me up and when we got there they were closed and I remembered I was in fourth grade and crying over a goddam video game.

Luckily Final Fantasy Tactics is an awesome game and replaying it is an enjoyable task but god I cringe when I think of my poor mother having to drive her sobbing child to A&W cuz he lost his save.

• ProfFarnsworth says:

There are times that I still look at my brother with hate and loathing for his part in losing my PS1 memory card. I had way too much on there for him to just lose it.

• NakedSnake says:

No, that seems like a valid pretext for a tantrum to me.

• caspiancomic says:

No, yeah, this is legit. I’m getting sympathy pains over here.

• Jackbert says:

Crying over a deleted save in fourth grade is perfectly fine. I can think of at least five games where, if their saves were deleted, I would probably cry. And it’s topped by A&W being closed, that’d just make me cry more. Punch your older brother for me!

• Citric says:

At the end of Parasite Eve, you can see some nipple-free boobs. This is also the time when your mom is going to come into the room and question what the hell your’re playing.

At one point early in high school, my step-sister (from a previous marriage) lived with my father and I. I had games to play on both an IBM XT (with green monochrome monitor) and a Commodore 64 hooked up to the TV.

My step-sister was on the PC, and asked me how to access a game through a custom menu it came with. I said, “type Enter”, meaning to say “press”. She typed “E-N-T-E-R, Enter” – and the E stood for (E)rase on the game she had selected. I said NO like three times as she was doing it, but the ACTUAL enter confirmed the action and deleted the game.

I got mad and kicked a plastic milk crate across the room, which landed on my C64 and broke off one of the keys on the keyboard. (The Y I think.) Definitely not my finest moment.

The deleted game? A shitty text adventure where you’re stuck in a big city at night and get murdered at every turn.

• mizerock says:

New PC users always seemed to be afraid that they would accidentally type the wrong thing and delete everything. Probably because it used to be much easier to actually do that.
        There really aren’t any “new PC” users anymore, are there? I mean, except for toddlers, and they aren’t terribly afraid of things like “erasing important spreadsheets” or “breaking stuff” or “consequences”.

• Electric Dragon says:

Well, there was the time I first played Mass Effect and couldn’t figure out how to get out of the Mako. I kid you not, I spent ages trying to work it out. Tried pressing all the action buttons, but of course as is my wont I’d remapped them all so looking up the manual didn’t help and none of the controls listed in the menu seemed to show which key to press. Tried pressing every key in turn but somehow managed to miss out the right one so I was convinced there was a bug or something. Eventually got it sorted out by resetting all the keys to default, and making sure the key I remapped actually worked.

• HomageToCatatonia says:

Oh boy I thought I was the only one! I’m ashamed that I actually stopped the game and googled to find the controls…

• Chewbacca Abercrombie says:

I guess this is only embarrassing because of the amount of time spent on one game, otherwise I think it was pretty awesome, but here goes. Me and my little brother once played Dr. Mario for I think something like 18 hours straight, one game, without losing. When one of us needed a break we would just hand the controller off. I have no idea how far we actually got because the level number and high score both max out at a certain point, but it was quite possibly further than anyone else ever got. I don’t remember exactly how it ended, but I’m petty sure we both just got sick of playing and let someone else take over and they immediately lost. It was pretty cool.

• Chewbacca Abercrombie says:

I thought of one that is more embarrassing. I a 28 year old man jokingly started playing a Barbie NES game for a minute just to see what my wife would say, then actually tried to finish it and was getting genuinely frustrated at a part I was having trouble with. After a few tries I remembered I was playing a fucking Barbie game and so I stopped and played something else… So yeah, that happened once. I’m not proud of it.

5. stakkalee says:

Let’s keep this last week short and sweet. Our most-commented article this week was the Q&A on heroes we can’t stand, with 355 comments. As for the Top 5 Most Liked (non-KG) comments, those were:

1) @EvanWaters:disqus gets 49 likes for telling us the true villain of GTA4.
    2) With 40 likes,
    @Cloks:disqus says goodbye.
    3) @Fluka:disqus gets 34 likes for asking for some tow-headed variety in video games.
    4) With 30 likes,
    @PaganPoet:disqus eulogizes The Bulletin.
    4) Tied for fourth, @Citric:disqus bounces off @Fluka:disqus ‘s comment to let us know about his multi-hued Shepard.

We have 3 readers getting their plaid jackets today, so let’s have a huge welcome for @Derek_Kupper:disqus, @nattyish:disqus, and Guest, the Anonymous Commenter! Plus we’re giving out some studs to go with some plaid jackets – @Flying_Turtle:disqus and @Dikachu:disqus each get their first stud for their second Soupy selection. Plus, @Doucetoevsky:disqus and @AuroraBoreanaz:disqus are each getting a fourth stud!

That’s it for this week; I’ll see you on the other side! And one last thing – a shout-out to @The_Helmaroc_King:disqus for whipping up that awesome comment reader! Thanks a million buddy!

EDIT: Well well, I guess @disqus_7f0As9ua8S:disqus decided to get up to some shenanigans, because he’s our anonymous commenter! Sneaky – trying for a second plaid jacket! Well instead, you just get your seventh stud!

• PaganPoet says:

@disqus_7f0As9ua8S:disqus was just trying to get two plaid jackets to sew on extra arms. He’s actually the physical avatar of Lakshmi, the Hindu goddess of wealth and prosperity.

• Kyle O'Reilly says:

You’re a goddam hero Stak. A librarian to the internet’s stars!

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

No problem, stak, although even with the reader I suspect you’ve put more work into finding the top comments than I ever have. Props to you!

• mizerock says:

When I die, I feel certain one of my top 500 regrets was that I never posted anything worthy of being recognized as one of the best posts of the week on Gameological. O, Fortuna!

6. Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Aw man, KG’d two weeks in a row! I just needed more articles about boardgames for my genius to show.

I’ll definitely be migrating back over to the AVC with everyone, but I’m going to miss this place. Y’all are seriously great. Hopefully I’ll be able to be on Steam more often in the nearish future when I maybe buy a new PC. And I’m buying myself a 3DS for my birthday next week so I’ll need to gather up some friendcodes.

Thanks for the memories and the Crysis 2 shakeweight, Gameological. I won’t rest until I get one of those pins, though.

• caspiancomic says:

There’s a friendcode jamboree going down in the Pokemon Thread in WAYPTW. I was considering keeping something of an archive.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’ll be picking it up around Wednesday probably, so i don’t have one until then. And is it just one friendcode from the system, or do games have their own as well? I’ll try to remember to check out that thread and reply to people to get them to add me. I’m also gonna post something on the steam group about it, maybe even make a little 3DS forum/thread.

• caspiancomic says:

Your individual machine has a friend code, and you can add friends directly through startup menu thingy. At least for Pokemon, your friends are automatically added to the game, not sure how it works for other games though. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for when your friend code drops.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Ok, cool, so it probably works like the WIi then, rather than the original DS. And I guess I should get pokemon? I’m getting Super Mario 3D Land for sure. I can maybe swing two full games when I buy the thing.

• Citric says:

I have bought way too many things since I got this thing. I hear my bank account angrily tapping its foot in disgust.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’m thinking I’m going to buy a bunch of the eshop exclusive games even though the system for them is awful, in that there are no accounts and it’s tied to your specific console. but the games available for it look great and like just the kind of thing i want to keep in my ds for quick bouts of gaming. Pushmo! Pinball! Mutant Mudds! Gunman Clive or whatever!

• ProfFarnsworth says:

How does this friend thing work any way? I am interested in getting pokemon, but…well I need an excuse beyond: it’s pokemon.

• Citric says:

Well if you’re going to get it, get it now, because you can get a free Torchic. Then it turns into an angry penis.

• Newton Gimmick says:

“Combusken” does sound like an STD.

• NakedSnake says:

Yea, I have never played Pokemon but honestly all this hype is making me curious. Do I have the time to play it, I would ask?

• Drinking_with_Skeletons says:

It’s lengthy (I’ve got over 30 hours so far) but playable in relatively short bursts. You can accomplish a lot in 30 minutes, and the trading aspect can be largely automated.

But if you put up a pidgey or something on Wonder Trade, you are a bad person.

• Newton Gimmick says:

You could just pick up a 2DS and use the savings to buy an extra game. I’m quite happy with my 2DS, but I have yet to use it with a game like Mario or Professor Layton, where people say that the 3D is really effective.

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

I’ve been looking at the XL for quite a while now. I actually love the idea of the 3D gimmick and the big screens and the longer battery life.

The 2DS does look pretty comfy though. If I end up digging the games enough I may buy one as a gift for my girlfriend eventually so we can do cool multiplayer shit sometime.

• NakedSnake says:

Even for the 3D stuff in Super Mario Land, I would say that the 3D is “cool” but not essential by any means. My bigger concern with the 2DS would be playing the original DS games, since I hear that this feature sucks on anything but the XL (which I have and is great at DS games).

7. Mr. Glitch says:

This being the last Gameological KG and all, I’m really bummed I don’t have anything more to add.

Well, I hope you keep up the retro game reviews back on the AVC, they’re always a lot of fun!

8. Citric says:

What I’ll (hopefully, provided the transition goes well) miss most: GS updated at 10 my time, which is relatively early.

9. veudiiv19 says:

find out how you can earn 35 usd per day from your home. simply go to surveymoneymaker dot net

10. joshw96 says:

QH7 – The Last few years i would be extremely low on $$ and debits were eating me from all sides. That was UNTIL i learned to earn money on the internet! I went to surveymoneymaker d.o.t net, and started doing surveys for cash, and yes, i have been greatly more able to get around financialy!! I’m happy, that i did this!!! m0f

11. daneilbayer says: