News Item

The Typing Of The Dead: Overkill

Sega celebrates Halloween with new The Typing Of The Dead game

By Matt Gerardi • October 29, 2013

One of the oddest games among the Sega Dreamcast’s vast library of very odd games is The Typing Of The Dead, a reimagining of Sega’s zombie shoot ’em up arcade classic The House Of The Dead 2. Instead of aiming a plastic gun at the screen to blow away the undead, Typing Of The Dead had players typing out words and phrases that did the shooting for them. The bizarre combination of educational tool and kitschy zombie murder became an instant cult classic.

Today, Sega has taken to Steam, the digital computer game superstore, to release The Typing Of The Dead: Overkill, a typing-controlled remake of the grindhouse movie-themed Wii and PlayStation 3 game The House Of The Dead: Overkill. The game currently costs $10 on Steam, but will bump up to $20 come November 1. It also includes plain old The House Of The Dead: Overkill if you’d prefer to work on your pointing at stuff with a mouse skills rather than your typing abilities.

14 Responses to “Sega celebrates Halloween with new The Typing Of The Dead game”

1. MSUSteve says:

Bought!

Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoyed HOtD: Overkill. Fusing it with Typing of the Dead is an awesome idea. Certainly worth $10!

2. ItsTheShadsy says:

I’m a little saddened that “zombie typing tutor” now seems like such a par-for-the-course idea. :(

3. Mike Mariano says:

That’s awesome! None of the screenshots show it, but I wonder if your agents still have Dreamcasts strapped to their backs during the cutscenes…?

• needlehacksaw says:

Unfortunately, it’s a bit of a half-assed update. No Dreamcasts or keyboards in the visuals, and the controls’ menu even shows a regular controller. Now, a half-assed update of a concept which fuses a batshit insane concept with an amusing and solid game still makes for a highly enter- or edutaining game.

But once modders get to work on those visuals and the greyed out “multiplayer option” will get activated, we have a candidate for the greatest sleeper hit of the year.

4. NakedSnake says:

Yesssssssss.

5. Dariusz G. Jagielski says:

They should port plain old TOtD as well (unless they’ve done that and I don’t know).

• The_Lame_Dane says:

There is a PC version from 2000 I don’t think there’s any downloadable version if it though.

• Dariusz G. Jagielski says:

Thanks for info. While there is no official dl, I’m sure there are plenty of unofficial ;). Shame that I can’t give Sega money for port of original though.

6. Kyle O'Reilly says:

Semi-related; Did you guys here that there is a typing of the dead mode in the new Rocksmith but with GUITAR CHORDS!!!! I still probably won’t pick the game up, but if it ever goes on sale at Amazon I could see myself slamming down zombies with a B minor.

7. boardgameguy says:

I’m really happy that news still comes to us because my life is a little more joyful knowing that this exists.