World Wide Web Hyperlink

Clicking Bad

By John Teti • October 16, 2013

A couple of weeks ago, Steve Heisler reviewed Cookie Clicker—a game in which you ramp up large-scale production of cookies by clicking on things—and compared its empire-building dynamic to Walter White’s rise to greatness in Breaking Bad. Indeed, the show’s narrative thread of ruthless, exponential growth is a good fit for these “clicky-click and watch the numbers go up” games. So maybe it was inevitable that Clicking Bad would come along. In this game, you play the role of a fledgling meth kingpin who clicks on things and watches the numbers go up—in essence, combining Walter White’s cooking skills with Walter Jr.’s fundraising approach.

The game doesn’t have the whimsy and surprises of its forebear, Candy Box, and the design is shaggy in parts—for instance, a bunch of the upgrades become practically useless by the time you can afford them. But if you’re going to get pointlessly addicted to something today, it might as well be Clicking Bad. More to the point, Steve Heisler is some sort of modern browser-game soothsayer, and we all should subscribe to his newsletter. Tell us, O Great And Mighty Heisler, what comes next? Candy Box 2, perhaps?

21 Responses to “Here, get pointlessly addicted to this empire-building browser game based on Breaking Bad

1. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Back when I was a kid, you’d clap as hard as you could to bring a fairie back to life. And now you’re clicking as hard as you can to develop your meth empire or exploitative dessert monopoly.
    I remember when rhythmic, staccato motions were used for good.

2. SteveHeisler says:

I predict…a Metroid-like game…sometime in the next few years.

• CrabNaga says:

It will have to do, since we’re probably not getting any actual Metroid games for the foreseeable future.

• NakedSnake says:

The fact that there is not a Metroid 3DS doesn’t make sense from either a business perspective or a fanboy perspective. The 3D would give a lot of opportunities for interesting exploration and secrets, and could make it another flagship for the console. But nintendo is probably sitting there thinking… well, the 3ds is already selling very well as it is. It doesn’t need help. If we put Metroid on the 3DS we miss the chance to get fanboys to buy the WiiU in case we release a metroid game exclusively for that. They’re so weird.

• CrabNaga says:

I think the reason being is that Metroid is not a popular franchise in Japan, only in the West really.

You should use your newfound powers only for evil.

• GaryX says:

Can you do me a favor and predict a 3DS XL will show up on my doorstep?

XOXO,
      Gary X

• Chalkdust says:

Good news! The portable Arkham Origins game, being developed by former Retro Studios guys in a 2D Metroidvania style, is out in a couple weeks!

3. CrabNaga says:

I wonder if it was by design that risk is basically not a thing once you start making a lot of money per second. I’ve had zero DEA risk for hours now and my income is currently $113 million per second.

I’m also resisting the urge to just go into the console and type “pd.cash.amount = [some absurd amount].”

4. boardgameguy says:

I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but nothing will quite match the surprise and addictive-nature of Candy Box. My general disinterest in Candy Box 2 seems to confirm this for me, and I spent a ton of time on the first game.

5. SamPlays says:

Walt would have had an easier time dealing with Skyler if he simply gave her this game.

6. PaganPoet says:

It’s about time the internet started showing Breaking Bad the recognition it deserves!

7. Citric says:

This seems really poorly balanced, I’ve got so much meth but all the sales options are either kind of crappy or really expensive.

8. Merve says:

“You have purchased a Drug Cartel.”

This is why I never post my Amazon purchases to social media.

9. Mike says: