News Item

Watch Dogs

By Matt Gerardi • October 15, 2013

Watch Dogs, the newest game in Ubisoft’s lineup of open-world acrobatic murder dude simulators, has had its release date pushed back to “spring 2014,” Ubisoft announced today. The game was previously scheduled to be released on November 19 and was a marquee launch title for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Starring a vigilante hacker and set in an alternate reality Chicago where a supercomputer controls all of the city’s electronics and resident information, Watch Dogs has been one of the most buzzed about in-development games since it was revealed at E3 2012. Until today’s announcement, it was one of two non-sequel games scheduled to be released in the fall of 2013 by a major publisher that’s not Sony or Microsoft. The other is Ubisoft’s Xbox One and Kinect-exclusive fighting/arm flailing game, Fighter Within.

According to the blog post that announced the delay, the developers need “extra time to polish and fine tune each detail so we can deliver a truly memorable and exceptional experience.” What it didn’t mention is that Ubisoft head honchos probably realized it was a bad idea to release the game a mere three weeks after Assassin’s Creed IV, the sixth entry in the company’s premiere open-world acrobatic murder dude simulator series. Who could handle that much acrobatic murder?

26 Responses to “Watch Dogs, 2013’s only hope for an original blockbuster game, not coming out until 2014”

1. Aurora Boreanaz says:

“Open-world acrobatic murder dude simulators” is genius.

2. MSUSteve says:

Someone at Ubi probably finally realized that Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed IV were going to cannibalize each other’s sales. It made no sense at all for Ubi to launch these games within weeks of each other.

• Marozeph says:

If they use the time for some extra polishing, i don’t mind the delay, whatever the real reason may be.

• Matt Gerardi says:

It’s probably a little bit of both. I don’t doubt that there’s more work to be done on it. Seems like there always is.

• Chum Joely says:

They’ve been grinding away on Watch Dogs for a looooong time already, though. It was originally supposed to be part of the Driver series– and I think I remember that it was in early development even before Driver: SF came along.

So what I’m saying is, it might well be the marketing thing (WD vs. ACIV). Or maybe they decided they needed to cram in a bunch more unnecessary noise, especially online modes, in order to “increase replay value”, cf. Rayman Legends.

• GaryX says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if GTA V had a role too. That’s a lot of open world in a small amount of time (also, it probably helps minimize press comparisons to it: “level of detail not up to…” etc).

I really wonder what will happen with bundles though.

• MSUSteve says:

Me neither. It’s not like there will be a shortage of games to play this holiday season. Frankly, I wasn’t sure where I was going to fit AC4 in with Watchdogs coming out. So I guess that “problem” is solved.

• Steve McCoy says:

If this were really that case, I don’t know why they didn’t push back ACIV instead. Watch Dogs seems to have been far more hyped than ACIV, due to also being included as a launch title for the new consoles. It also feels like ACIII *just* came out.

Seems more likely that the devs just need more time.

3. NakedSnake says:

Eh, I have plenty of new IPs that I have yet to sample as it is, thank you. You can keep working on it until it’s ready, Ubisoft. I don’t mind.

4. Fluka says:

And so it is that I will not buy another new AAA game this year. Just as well – this game would have caused my PC to explode in a super-dramatic fireball. Time to add more RAAAAAAM…

5. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Now I have to wait six more months to find out what’s under that bandanna?! My guess is either a Basil Wolverton-style snagglepuss or William Stanley, 6th Earl of Derby, whom some Anti-Stratfordians credit with the actual authorship of Shakespeare’s plays.

6. PhilWal0 says:

Lie down! Stay!
    Now stay…
    backs out of room, slowly
    Stay…

7. STOP_RIGHT_THERE_CRIMINAL_SCUM says:

eh, it’s just as well, this fall was getting crowded anyway

8. His_Space_Holiness says:

I think you mean “marquee” launch title, but I’d kind of prefer it if I were wrong and the game was some sort of Renaissance nobleman. Which would explain why they’d want to keep it away from Assassin’s Creed.

9. thewayigetby says:

Only hope? Um what about The Last of Us?