Keyboard Geniuses

Big Buck HD

Oh Deer

By Matt Gerardi • November 15, 2013

Keyboard Geniuses is our weekly glance at a few intriguing, witty, or otherwise notable posts from the Gameological discussion threads. Comments have been excerpted and edited here for grammar, length, and/or clarity. You can follow the links to see the full threads.

Buckin’ Up

This week, Samantha Nelson reported back from inside the 2013 Big Buck HD World Championship, a gathering of and competition between those who have ascended to godlike aptitude at that weird deer hunting game the haunts the corners of dingy bars around the country. GhaleonQ commented on the game’s quality and pointed out a tie-in to another burgeoning hunter-centric brand:

I’m often disappointed when it comes to these mass audience games. Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Golden Tee, and the like often just turn out to be mediocre or worse. I played Big Buck Hunter a few months ago, and I have no idea how it’s possible to have a championship around it.

That said, it’s no secret how they’re cultivating their fanbase. They’re pulling a NESiCA with their hubs and adding Duck Dynasty sidegame/demo screen to the cabinets across the country. I wish better developers had marketing ideas half as good.

And Wolf brought up some of the fundamental absurdities Big Buck is built from:

I always found Big Buck Hunter interesting simply because it plays more like a bargain-bin zombie shooter than anything remotely like actual hunting. You show up behind some log, and deer just start flying out at you left and right like they’re hungry for blood.

I guess what I’m saying is someone needs to make a zombie-deer hack of the game.

Gun Nuts
BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea—Part One

Yesterday, Drew Toal reviewed the first half of BioShock Infinite’s noir-themed follow-up Burial At Sea. He commented on the what seems to be a lingering BioShock problem: Its ideas and intricate settings fail to stand up to the assault from its gunplay. Several commenters added to this sentiment, including needlehacksaw:

I’d like to think of the BioShock developers as some sort of dark horses, the way director Seijun Suzuki used the Japanese studio system to finance genre movies that were not generic at all. But if that’s what’s going on, Irrational haven’t done a good job of balancing necessities and ambitions.

Also, it’s not true that other genres—like the kinds that would better serve the elements of BioShock that Ken Levine and company seem more interested in than the shooting—are not profitable. You wouldn’t have to explore BioShock as a point-and-click adventure game, and the “Immersive Sim” might be too dead to give Rapture or Columbia a treatment similar to Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. (That would be so, so perfect.) But how about a role-playing game in the vein of Fallout 3? One can dream. One can only dream.

Elsewhere, Merve gave us another take on Burial At Sea:

I haven’t finished it yet, but after about 45 minutes with Burial At Sea, I must say that the setting is absolutely gorgeous. Rapture in its prime looks almost exactly as I imagined it—all majestic and gilded.

The problem I have with it is the same problem I had with the first two BioShock games: Rapture doesn’t feel like a place. It feels like a mishmash of concepts and ideologies and architectural styles that don’t fit together. This really hits home when you’re walking through Burial At Sea’s pre-rebellion version of Rapture. Columbia held together as a believable place within the context of BioShock’s fiction, because it twisted something familiar—Disney-fied Americana—into something more sinister; there was at least an entry point for the player. On the other hand, there’s nothing in Rapture’s hodgepodge of art deco and objectivism and deep-sea locations that serves as an anchor for the player, and there’s nothing that ties these disparate elements together. I still don’t buy into Rapture as a setting, and that makes me feel like I can’t fully invest in whatever story this game is trying to tell.

More Like…Yeah, No, Fubsy Is Good
Bubsy3D

Earlier this week, a bizarre tribute to Bubsy, the epitome of poorly conceived early ’90s video game mascots , and James Turrell took the internet by storm. Many people loved it. Many people were mystified by it. But no one was as peeved about its blatant disregard for the core traits of the Bubsy character as The_Misanthrope.

Charlatans! This is no Bubsy! Where is his righteous ’tude? Where are his smartass quips delivered by the unheralded talent of Lani Minella? No, this is merely a fake Bubsy, a “Fubsy,” if you will! Contact your local congressperson! Don’t wait until this happens to other neglected video game characters, like Gex or Croc!

That’s the end of another week in Gameolological. Thanks for reading and commenting. We’ll see you all next week.

93 Responses to “Oh Deer”

1. Fluka says:

That Burial at Sea screenshot looks remarkably like Dishonored. (Which dovetails with all those comments, pre-Dishonored, that the game “Looked like a BioShock ripoff.” Aaah, how times have changed!)

Also, unrelated: Fallout Fooooooour? (Yes? No? Potentially? Hungry?)

• Fyodor Douchetoevsky says:

Is Bethesda making that new Fallout? No Obsidian, no sale for me.

• Fluka says:

But the sooner we get a Bethesda Fallout the sooner we can get an Obsidian side game! *Remembers what happened to Obsidian when they made Fallout: NV. Realizes this won’t happen again. :( *

I’m mainly excited because it’s rumored to take place in the Boston area. I want to destroy my old laboratory with another massive orbital Sun-powered laser.

I wish they’d get around to Fallout:Portland, Maine! Yeah, the city that takes less than an hour to walk across…they could make it 1:1 scale, instead of the 1:10 they usually do.

Of course, not that there’s much to do there besides visit the library, have coffee and donuts, or get some good seafood.

As a New Englander (and having worked on Beacon Hill), I too am super excited to play in and around Boston.

• Fluka says:

Didn’t The Last of Us have portions that took place in the shattered remains of the T as well? Another reason to wish I could play that game.

I always like it when games create reproductions of modern, real-life cities that aren’t New York or LA. I’m considering getting Watch Dogs next year just so I can bum around in a next gen version of Chicago.

• Carlton_Hungus says:

It was a big reason I enjoyed Fallout 3 so much, being able to go to Rosslyn and other parts of Arlington and the DC suburbs was pretty damn cool, slightly less super mutants than in reality though.

A bunch of us were briefly working on a Shadowrun Returns mod set in Providence, but I admittedly petered out after getting a little confused by the editor, despite being the driving force behind setting it there and it’s kinda fallen by the wayside.

I’m glad video games as a whole have reached a level where their attempts to recreate a city have begun feeling familiar. Driving around Los Santos feels a lot like when I visit my sister in LA. A friend from Bethesda wandered into the room while I was playing Fallout one day and she pointed at a group of buildings and went, “Oh, I used to go there all the time!”

• djsubversive says:

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m waiting for Berlin to hit before I jump back into the SRR editor.

• stakkalee says:

Yup, that’s my plan too. Hopefully they’ll include a little more green space in that update.

• Sam_Barsanti says:

With the new consoles coming out, an Obsidian game would be a good chance to put them through their paces. See if any explode or whatever.

• Fluka says:

The bugs will break space time. We were so worried about the LHC creating an Earth-eating black hole that we never even considered Bethesda.

• djsubversive says:

I would blame Bethesda for world-shattering bugs and Obsidian for not having enough time to perfect their world-saving device.

I’d say Burial at Sea and Dishonored are visually alike in terms of character models, since both have models with exaggerated, cartoonish features (though Dishonored’s are more exaggerated). But when it comes to environments, Burial at Sea uses a much brighter colour palette – more muted than the main game’s, but brighter than Dishonored’s. It uses a lot of golds and reds to create the appearance of opulence, while Dishonored uses a lot of greys and browns to simulate filth and squalor. Both are gorgeous in their own way.

• PaganPoet says:

I have an unabashed love for Art Deco design (which, like many of my loves, can actually be traced back to Kylie Minogue; check out the stage design, lighting and projections in this video: http://youtu.be/_OILoVdNtaY?t=5m26s). Throw in the Andrews Sisters, and various states of destruction, and the inherent creepiness of being trapped underwater, and its like the Bioshock setting was tailor made just for me.

• a_scintillating_comment says:

Fallout 4 I want you so badddddd. More than that Power Glove.

I first played Fallout when I was 10 and it blew my little fucking mind.

Fallout 3 wasn’t perfect, and understandably F:NV was the true sequel, but the jump into 3D and first person was huge. Definitely on par with Mario making the jump from ‘World’ to ’64’.

2. Spacemonkey Mafia says:

Weekend Prompt!

Well, a new age has begun. The planets have aligned, the Skeksi’s and UrRu are one again, the dark crystal is healed and the next book definition generation of game consoles is upon us. So with all new things, this is an opportunity to look back, Auld Lang Syne-style.

What was your first game system/gaming-worthy computer? What remains your favorite system/pc-gaming era?

Me? NES and Super NES, respectively.

Side note! I’m going to cash in some goodwill chips I’ve hopefully built up for a bit of self-promotion! In my downtime, I’m attempting something called the Popular Illustration Project, where people post concepts or premises on my Facebook page that I post as an illustration and short story once a week on my blog. As a small concession to garnering peoples interest, I will take the original sketch from the weeks chosen entry and mail it to the person who suggested the idea. So… fre art(-ish).
    Don’t feel obliged to try this on my account. I’ve got family and friends to handle the obligation part. Only do it if you’d care for a chance to win a small drawing or sincerely like posting non-sequitur ideas on the Facebook page of people you only know through semi-anonymous video game message boards. Thanks for reading!

• Carlton_Hungus says:

NES was also my first, as I imagine it would be for many people. Tough to pick an era, but I’d say it would be PS/N64. You’ve got the the first mainstream RPG, and the explosion of the genre with FFVII, and Squaresoft’s moves away from Nintendo on the PS, along with MGS, Gran Turismo and other current staples. Meanwhile the N64 really makes 3D platforming the norm with Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and of course the masterpieces OOT and Majora’s Mask.

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

First gaming system would be the NES. I also remember playing some 90’s-ish PC games like Tyrian and Jazz Jackrabbit. Favorite, though? That’s hard to say… I’m vacillating between the SNES, N64, and the Gamecube.

Also, the first winner of your illustration project:

“…a hunting dog impaled through the torso on a silver rod, hanging limply, with a duck hanging limply in its mouth.”

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but that wasn’t it.

I’m not going to coerce you into something you’re not comfortable doing, but we already know about your oddly sensual Marcel Marceau fan page, so I don’t really know what else you have to worry about.

• aklab says:

First: if the TI-99/4A counts, then the TI-99/4A. I played so much Parsec. Next system was a SNES years later but I played enough NES at cousins’ houses for it to count.

Favorite: I guess it’s like SNL casts, whatever was there when you were 13, which was SNES for me. I don’t know if it was my age, my own low standards, the system itself, or the general gaming culture at the time, but I and everyone else I knew would play anything. JRPGs, racing games, fighting, sports, shooters, puzzles, whatever. Today the gaming populace’s tastes seem much more siloed.

• Mr. Glitch says:

Ditto on the TI 99/4A, though my fam bought maybe 5 games for it before they disappeared completely from stores. My first real game console was a Sears Telegames, a clone of the Atari 2600, I inherited from family friends. I played the crap out of that thing–literally played it until it died, then had a funeral for it in the back yard.

As much as I loved that Fauxtari, though, my favorite game console remains the Genesis. It was the only game console I played at all. well into the PS2 days. In the 20+ years since my most awesome Xmas ever, It’s remained in its place of honor next to my TV.

• aklab says:

That’s a lovely story. Ours was a yard sale find in… 1987 or so? It came with the aforementioned Parsec, which was by far my favorite, but also a football game that I played despite understanding absolutely nothing about football. And if you count writing hundreds of lines of BASIC to change the color of your screen, we had that game too.

I find that truism works well for everything but SNL casts. But it certainly does apply to the SNES. I mean, I think the system had some of the best games of videogame-dom.

My first gaming-worthy computer was the Atari 400. I got it in kindergarten, and my father valiantly tried to get me interested in programming on it, mostly by copying programs in line-by-line from magazine articles. I would have none of it…I was far more interested in playing Wizard of Wor, Star Raiders and Pitfall.

My favorite PC gaming era is now a tie between the C64 and current day with Steam. I recently realized that my purchases of discount bundles of Steam-capable games has put me in the same (awesome) situation as when I first got a Commodore 64 computer: I now have more new unplayed games than I can reasonably play for several years! (During the C64 era, this was accomplished by getting a box of about 100 floppies full of copied games from an uncle.) So with the exception of the occasional game I MUST have at launch, any time I get bored with the games I’m playing now, I can just try out a few from my Steam catalog and see what I like.

• ProfFarnsworth says:

I am getting there too with my steam account. I find it odd that I have so many games and I am not urged to complete them all. I do find that getting bored, I do not feel compelled to complete the games now, like I did as a child. That is progress.

• aklab says:

I’m with you, modern PC gaming is just an embarrassment of riches. I could probably go 5 years without needing to buy a new game at this point.

• stakkalee says:

My first gaming system was a Commodore 128, aww yeah! My father is a doctor and he has some of the best bed-side manner I’ve ever seen, and he’s always chatting with his patients. In the mid-80s he was assisting on a surgery and as he was talking with the patient they began discussing home computers. Well, this guy turned out to be a very talented hacker (I’ve long forgotten his name) who told my dad he had to go with a C128, which this guy just happened to be planning to sell. My father is never one to pass up a deal, and this hacker was promising lots of software to go with the computer. So one weekend my dad went out and came home with a C128 and several boxes overflowing with cracked software. Beachhead, Rambo: First Blood, 1942, Marble Madness, Drol, Gorf, Impossible Mission, quite possibly every game released for the Commodore at that point. Oh, it was glorious. Of course, not all of the cracked versions would actually run, but most of them did, and my brother and I spent weeks going through the boxes finding the ones that actually worked. That hacker even threw in a 300baud modem, introducing me to the nascent Internet of BBSes and Usenet.

As to the second part of the question, I don’t really have a favorite era of video games. As far as I’m concerned each succeeding generation has positives and negatives associated with it; I can speak to my favorite games, but those favorites come from a wide range of systems.

• duwease says:

I don’t recall the name of the system, but the games loaded from cassette tapes. You’d put in the tape, go eat lunch, maybe watch a cartoon, and then come back and hopefully in about 5 minutes the game would be loaded. I remember there was one about protecting a garden, and one about being in some sort of Gyruss-esque time vortex.

Google is unhelpful on the details of any of this, so it’s possible I lived above a natural gas deposit and hallucinated it.

My brother had a cassette system he received from my uncle. Jumpman, I believe was a title? At any rate, cassette systems still crack me up to this day.

• Chewbacca Abercrombie says:

VIC 20? I heard someone talking about it on a podcast today.

My Atari 400 had a tape drive. The only game I remember having for it was Caverns of Khafka.

• the first one i got personally was an N64. i very distinctly remember sitting on the floor watching my uncles play DIDDY KONG RACING (which is still one of my favorite games ever). YOSHI’S STORY was probably the first game i remember beating.

as for era? probably the PS2/GCN era. the PS2 maybe has the best library of games of any system ive ever owned, and the gamecube holds several of my fav moments of my young life (booting up KILLER 7 for the first time, finally setting off onto the great sea, just playing GOTCHA FORCE).

• caspiancomic says:

If online discussions of video games were at all political, I would have built my platform on being a lifelong zealot in service of Sega and their various consoles. Which is why the revelation that my first console was actually a NES would be the sort of scandal that would have me resigning from office in disgrace. (Then again, Torontonian politicians are notoriously resilient these days.)

As for my favourite? Well, in that category I get to stick to my guns. I would actually have difficulty choosing between the Genesis and the Dreamcast for the title of my all-time favourite console. I’ve played both those systems until their buttons were smoothed down to little nubs, but it’s difficult to calculate which one brought me “more joy.” Even today I return to Genesis and Dreamcast games with more or less equal regularity. I suppose I’d have to flip a coin. Oh, look at that, Dreamcast it is.

Also, the Popular Illustration Project sounds like a pretty rad idea. It reminds me a lot of The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg, which was a hugely influential book for me during my youth. I’ll probably try and whip something up there for you to take a crack at.

• PaganPoet says:

I was solidly on Team Nintendo in the 90s*, so we are now enemies. Nintendoes what Sega can’t afford to do anymore! BWAHAHAHAHAAH!

*I have since left Team Nintendo; we had irreconcilable differences.

Thanks for the word of support and the link. And we live in an era where gay couples are finally earning the right to marriage. Don’t let anyone tell you you can’t love Sega, even if you fooled around a bit with Nintendo.

• His_Space_Holiness says:

My first gaming rig was our family PC with a handful of DOS games on floppy disk. OLD. FUCKING. SCHOOL. I played Mixed-Up Mother Goose and Putt-Putt Goes To The Moon and assorted other games appropriate for my wee self. As the years went by, Dad would upgrade and my old games would be lost in time, like tears in rain. It was a good introduction to the concept of software obsolescence.

The time of Windows 95 and 98 was the sweet spot for me, though. Edutainment games were in their boom years, and they stayed playable for a decade and more. Putt-Putt and the other Humongous adventure games! Super Seekers and Solvers! The Incredible Machine! ZOOOOOOOMBIIIIIIINIIIIIIIIVIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLE! Man, my childhood was awesome.

• Bisyss says:

The first system I ever had was an Atari 2600, which makes me sound a lot older than I actually am. Aside from the usual (Centipede, Defender et al), the game that stuck with me the most was Solaris, mostly because I never knew what the fuck was going on.
      As for favourite eras – I try not to be too nostalgic, but I will always hold a soft spot for the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. This might be because the era coincided with my teenage years, but it feels like that time hit a sweet spot between developers coming up with batshit surreal ideas and being provided with the budget/resources to pull them off.

• Gameological Society Commenter says:

My first game system was the mighty Magnavox Odyssey, I still have it on proud display in my rec room though it no longer works since that time I used it as the chestplate for my Halloween Darth Vader costume.

My favorite system is of course the Atari 7800. I still play it sometimes with Yoshi, one day it will all be his along with the somehow not worn out yet cartridges of Centipede, Dig Dug and who could forget Ninja Golf.

• ProfFarnsworth says:

I HATE the dark crystal. That is why I make dooms day devices!

My first system was a SNES. I fondly remember playing super mario and hogging all my fathers play time. I do not really have an era I cling to much, but I do enjoy pokemon. I have played a lot of pokemon on many different systems. Mostly the original 3, then the second generation, then jumpcut to now.

Anyway…I love your drawings! Keep up the tremendous work!

Dark Crystal’s pretty polarizing. It’s one scary-ass movie. Thanks for the words of support!

My absolute first ‘gaming system’ was an LED game called Caveman. I remember idly imagining how cool it would be if I could insert cartridges into it to play different kinds of games, but I had no idea that such a thing existed until around 1989 when I got an Atari 7800 for my 6th birthday. It was my first legit console, and I got it just in time to be jealous of all of the kids in first grade with their NESes. Still, it was a fun, weird little system with some pretty great games.

My favorite era is hard to pin down, as there are strong contenders in so many eras. The NES had some truly amazing games, the SNES era probably had the largest number of both truly mechanically solid and visually gorgeous games, the mid 90s PC scene was the apex of visual narrative adventure games, and the contemporary era has seen a really exciting explosion in independent/art games. I can’t really pick.

• 2StoryOuthouse says:

I was only a few years old when my older brothers got both a NES and an Apple II. I can’t remember which was first. Though the NES was the only one really used for gaming. I do vaguely remember a Black Cauldron game and a Garfield game, but no really details about either.

Looking at the games I’d list as my favorites and the games I revisit the most often, I’d have to say SNES is still my favorite system. Maybe it just came at the right point in my life. Or maybe it’s because it gave me Final Fantasy VI, A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Super Metroid. SNES was fantastic showcase for what games can be, considering it was such a major leap forward in terms of story, music, and ambitious design. The games I played in that era resonated with me on a deeper level than the simple fun of the NES era.

PS2 would be a close runner-up though: Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, the GTA series hitting its stride. I even like FFX and (gasp!) FFX-2. PS2 was the first system where I felt like there was more out there than I ever had time to play. This also might have just been the time in my life: I was in college and not devoting much time to games, so the ones I did make time for really blew me away.

• exant says:

The first gaming computer that I can remember was my father’s. It was an Acer of some forgotten vintage that ran MS-DOS and sometimes Windows 3.1. That PC had an impossible F1 racing game, Aces over the Pacific, Ecco the Dolphin, but what started me on my lifelong gaming addiction was the freeware floppy of Wolfenstein 3D.

Even though it was a demo and only had 9 short levels (and a secret level) I must have played it 100 or more times, to the point where my parents hid it from me so I’d do my homework.

My favorite system is the computer I have now. I bought it after I got my first real job, and I didn’t skimp on anything. To me it represents a significant personal milestone. It’s also still pretty fast.

Also, nothing compares to how easy it is to find and play with friends in the Steam era. The LAN parties of my youth were dingy basement affairs with network diagrams drawn on scrap paper and 10Mbps hubs daisy-chained together with a morass of ethernet cables.

• Flying_Turtle says:

Very first system for me was a Telstar, which played 3 or 4 different varieties of pong. I was really the one who liked playing games, so I often would just play both controllers (yes, I realize what a sad sentence this is). We did eventually get an Atari 2600, which was nice because I got to play some single-player games.

Favorite era, I guess, was probably playing PC games from the mid 80s through the late 90s. There was so much out there (and I didn’t really understand why these title screens would say “CRACKED BY [X]” on them), and I really liked just messing around in BASIC or DOS. That has a downside, though, because I missed out on much of the console fun during that time…NES (to some extent), SNES, Genesis, PS1, that sort of thing. After the sound card incident of 2000, I gave up on PCs and bought a Dreamcast, stuck with consoles, and now I’m pretty much missing out on PC gaming.

• Chewbacca Abercrombie says:

I’ve never owned a gaming system, never even played a video game. It’s all been an elaborate act! Pulling information off the internet and passing it off as my own opinions. This is my game! Hahaha! Or maybe that was just a dream I had. My recollection is foggy.

My first system was an NES when I was 2. It was probably my older brother’s, but it still counts as mine. I had lots of games, but for some reason the ones I remember playing the most are the first Mario Bros., Karate Kid and Ninja Turtles. I think I remember Mario because it was the first game I owned, but the other two just because they were impossible to beat and yet I tried over and over, the pages flying off calendars, my skin wrinkling and hair turning grey, eventually just a skeleton gripping a controller in it’s boney fingers while a turtle fails again to defuse all of the underwater bombs in time, then turning to dust and blowing away in the wind. At least that’s how I remember it.

My favorite era I have no idea. How do you choose? I loved SNES maybe the most, because of a few fantastic games. Link to the Past, Castlevania IV, Mario World, Donkey Kong Country games, the list goes on! I’m tired now.

• Drinking_with_Skeletons says:

Playstation all the way. Final Fantasy VII (one of the two games that got me into the hobby, though I don’t find it to have aged well), Final Fantasy IX, Legend of Mana (perhaps my favorite game), Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross, and Threads of Fate.

Square back then seemed unstoppable to me. Shame how they just aren’t what they used to be.

• a_scintillating_comment says:

Oh, this is a good one.

Firsts:

NES for me, I was five. My older brother was bought it to try and help develop his fine motor skills. Not my favorite, I was too young to really get deep into any games.

N64 is probably my ‘favorite’ because it was the first I bought with my own money, hunted one down a couple weeks after launch.

PC was a Dell, the family’s first computer, Pentium 1, 200 mhz, 32mb of RAM.

Favorite era and overall system:

PC, and that era from 93-2001 that started right before at a friend’s house, and with the Dell

3. stakkalee says:

Let’s do it to it. Our most-commented article this week was the WAYPTW thread with 225 comments, more than doubling our runner-up, Drew’s Burial at Sea review. As for the Top 5 Most Liked (non-KG) comments, those were:

1) @Enkidum:disqus gets 20 likes for some praise and a wish.

2) With 17 likes @SamPlays:disqus completes the footnote.

3) With 16 likes @The_Helmaroc_King:disqus leaves a footnote for just anyone to find!

4) @Fluka:disqus gets 15 likes for putting her finger on what makes this the Gameologicalest site on the Net!

5) With 14 likes @snazzlenuts:disqus thinks there’s something funny going on.

We have one member getting their plaid jacket today, so @Richard_Mason:disqus, come on down! And we have plenty of returning members as well: @NeedleHacksaw:disqus gets his second stud, @GhaleonQ:disqus is on his fourth, @The_Misanthrope:disqus has 11 studs and @Merve2:disqus gets his 17th stud! Well done, everyone!

Now it’s Linkdump: Tech edition! iFixit released their Playstation 4 Teardown Review today, so if you like seeing things get taken apart this might be the link for you. Next, is Verve the future of controllers? Maybe if you donate to their Kickstarter it will be! And finally, in belated Hallowe’en news, here’s some dude who built a playable Gameboy costume. Radical! So ends another week; enjoy your gaming, and remember to keep it scintillating!

• The_Helmaroc_King says:

For anyone who hasn’t read them (or watched the dubs on YouTube) I suggest searching for hiimdaisy’s Persona comics. I haven’t played the games, but the comics are hilarious. Sadly, there’s no “official” site for her comics anymore, but you can still find them online.

Edit: ACE ★ DETECTIVE

• Fluka says:

Might have missed this getting posted elsewhere last week, and this is completely not game related, but I had to post this year’s Miss Universe “cultural” costumes because oh. my. god. Canada is a Sexy Mountie. The United States of America is a Transformer. Many of the women are 2/3 peacock feathers.

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

Whomever came up with the Miss Germany outfit fucked up the two golden rules:

1. Don’t make the outfit in the colors of the Nazi flag,
        2. Don’t make the contestant look like a flamboyant SS Henchman.

I am also disappointed that Miss Guatemela didn’t show up as a giant Nescafe jar. Other random observations – I didn’t realize that Peru was known for its conjoined twins, that Belgium is actually part of Hades, and for gods sake Miss Russia it’s supposed to be sexy cultural representations.

• Fluka says:

I thought the German costume seemed somehow familiar…

I think the Belgium one is some kind of football reference? Whatever. I’ll just assume they’re throwing their lot in with the Prince of Darkness.

Honduras and Nicaragua are about to have a cage fight to determine who is the one true Peacock Queen.

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

I was trying to work out what the deal is with Miss Germany’s gold motif, then realized that it must represent the stolen Nazi gold. No word yet on what Miss Israel thought about the whole affair, though she can hardly talk going as a giant shower head. (yes yes, self-flagged).

I imagine the Peacock Queen cage fight would be fought by the two women flinging plucked peacock carcasses at each other.

I just noticed Miss France has the subtle feathers under the armpits. Nice touch there France.

Miss China should be disqualified just for being a young Chinese woman, that’s hardly representative of her country.

I could do this all day, but pointing out Miss ‘Orangesplosion’ Guyana and her hyperextended knees is where I get off this boat.

The gold probably just represents the…yellow in the German flag. Which is not the Nazi flag. And which is yellow, red, and black. Like the costume. The not-Natzi (not-zi?) costume.

• PaganPoet says:

I must be crazy, because I actually liked Miss USA’s costume. It was nice to see someone go for humor over sexiness.

• Fluka says:

I personally thought it was fucking awesome!

• Naked Man Holding A Fudgesicle says:

Unlike Miss Russia, who went for neither humor nor sexiness. My theory is she forgot to bring her costume and they just happened to have Woody Allen’s outfit from Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask close by, and went ‘we can sticky tape some diamontes on to it, fuck it, it’ll have to do.”

• PhilWal0 says:

Have another link for Linkdump: Deconstructed, photographer Brandon Allen’s pictures of game controllers after disassembly. Here’s part one, and here’s part two.

4. John says:

I bet this has been mentioned, but I don’t know this community so I won’t feel shame reposting it!

That is that guy, from the videos that eats terrible food. You guys like him most likely, look at the humor, hooray!

5. Guest says:

Has anyone mentioned that Teti’s pictured in an article on the Onion right now?

6. Carlton_Hungus says:

Philip Gorney? Fakey McFakename, that’s no Philip Gorney!

7. Aurora Boreanaz says:

Has anyone mentioned yet that Teti…

…(or the AVC webmaster) has omitted any reference to Keyboard Geniuses on the AVC’s “Games” page?

Is this going away for good now?

• Carlton_Hungus says:

I thought they said it was going to kept around in some format. Mayhaps they just want to start with a fresh slate over at the mothership rather than transfer over all the old KG posts.

Also, they didn’t transfer over the smaller gaming news blurbs. I wonder if those will continue or be subsumed in general by the newswire.

And still no new content on Monday (so far)? It’s a brave new world.

8. MarcelinaJaeger says:

The Game is so very interesting for Play .when the Player call the deer.

9. JeanettMettler says:

Its very good ways to call the deer.

10. SemNorbert says:

The Game is so very interesting for play.

11. theresaSuttons says:

my best friend’s half-sister makes $64 every hour on the internet . She has been without a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was $19649 just working on the internet for a few hours. hop over to here.for a work detail go tech tab.

✒✒✒✒✒✒ JOBS7000.COM

==================================

12. maggiejcarter says:

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail

✒✒✒✒✒✒ Jobs7000.Com

=================================

13. ieDiej8aegh says:

< col Hiiiiiii Friends….uptil I saw the paycheck saying $8736 , I have faith that my neighbour woz actualy receiving money parttime from their computer. . there friends cousin has done this 4 only about thirteen months and by now repaid the loans on there mini mansion and got a great GMC . visit their website SEE FULL DETAIL

~~~~~~~~~~~~u

14. hea8Si2me says:

~~~~~~~~~~9

15. Filly1985 says:

✯✯✯✯✯start run with ++gameo++ Find Detail Here’s

16. Thaught says:

< col Hiiiiiii Friends…——–.???? ?++gameologica++ < Find More='' ……..''

???????????????????????????????????????????????????